Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I left EVE -- and why you shouldn't bother with this game.

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Originally posted by OminousDawn
    Originally posted by Calfis
    Originally posted by faxnadu
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk

Honestly I read the first post and while long, it's well written. I just couldn't help thinking. It's a sandbox. Stop whining. You won't be competitive as someone that's been in game for a very long time. There are alliances for that. I also couldn't help thinking to myself that either this person wasn't interested in being in an alliance or was more interested in individual play. Being a loner in this game does not work. In which case he doesn't understand or simply ignored the premise of the game. It's a complaint that is very self absorbed and this one fails, because the person missed the point of the game. CCP gives you the framework to do what you want. They've tried nudging you along etc.. but they can't and won't take you by the hand and lead to you down the path. You are not entitled to succeed in this game, you have to earn it. If you're not smart enough , talented enough or social enough, you will fail. Much as in life.

ok, i have never played this game and never will, few pals that have played this have played it from the beginning so i know something, but i want to give my 2 cents about " there is an alliances for that " comment. ok game is sandbox yeah great so in order to actually get somewhere in this game , after your " character wich is SHIP " is created you need to beg someone to take your puny level 0 ship to their alliance means you start shouting in general pls take me in so that none would shoot me down!? 

how and earth this is entertaining OR by any means fun?

It's a fallacious argument.  These are the same people who will take you in and then once you begin to acquire things worth having they will strip you of it all leaving you broke and alone.  They will then laugh in your face and justify their behavior by calling it PvP'ing in a sandbox game. 

The social fallout it causes in it's aftermath is then referred to as fueling diplomacy, subterfuge, revenge, etc.  In any other game this would be referred to as simply "drama."  In that regard it has much in common with Second Life.  You want drama? Play Second Life.  That gaming platform has drama in abundance.  The only difference is that in Second Life no one ever refers to their drama as a selling point or positive aspect of the game.

But it's not, as most alliances value recruits that can fight for them or earn them money. You are talking about Goonswarm(Squad) who have so much wealth and manpower that they can afford to run the "recruitment scams" for teh lulz because they already have 11,000 members and one-third of conquerable space under their control.

All alliances try to drill loyalty and pride into their membership as this is very much a group game. Your clan/guild becomes your identity because that's how the game works. People won't see past that "goon" tag if you are in goonswarm, if you are in some super-elite alliance that kills capital ships all the time, most people who encounter you will assume that you are dangerous just because of your alliance tag. If you are in the top tier alliances you can basically go around smugging all over EVE, that's part of the fun of being in a competent group.

Tribalism is what makes EVE real for most people, once you are with a group its like you are part of a sports team and your performance reflects on them, the performs of the team as a whole also reflects on you. People are more likely to respect you because of the group you are with rather than you as an individual because they don't know you personally, but they have heard of your group.

Some groups relish in the reputation they build for themselves because they enjoy making other groups panic. Alliance A might be attacking Alliance B and winning. Then Alliance C who everyone knows is badass shows up in local and both Alliance A and B are like Oh fuck its this alliance, everyone get the fuck out, get safe, run away!

This is part of why EVE gets its dedicated players so emotionally pumped, its these encounters that you remember in EVE.

We learn many valuable lessons from playing sports and being part of a sports team, least of which is practicing good sportsmanship.  Doubt anyone would agree the same thing could be said of Eve Online.

A better analogy would be "part of a gang."

... and a pretty ruthless one at that.

If sportsmanship is the least of things you learn playing sports, I'd say your coaching staff was epic fail.

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194

We learn many valuable lessons from playing sports and being part of a sports team, least of which is practicing good sportsmanship.  Doubt anyone would agree the same thing could be said of Eve Online.

A better analogy would be "part of a gang."

... and a pretty ruthless one at that.

Nonsense. Just look at the football world ciup and tell me that the actors falling down on the lightest touch or who jump with both legs into some poor guys ankle practice "good sportsmanship".

You are just building a straw man argument by acting as if the guy had used your opinionated and idealized idea of sports team. He didn't. In EvE you won't get far with thoroughly bad behaviour, since the history of your every notable action is recorded in the various killboards and in your character info and API key. No one will trust you with any valuable assets or give you extensive intel access when you are a proven thief, traitor or excessive noob killer. Maybe some 2nd or 3rd rated high sec trade hub war hero corp may take you in, but they are the only ones, since even pirates need to trust their teammates and will probably decline you.

And about CODE. .... their propaganda is quite sizeable without making sense in the same proportins, but you have to give them that they almost always act in character. Excellent roleplaying. Their impact on the game economy is minimal though. They are relatively easy to counter and the one good thing they achieved is the anti-ganiking initiative which has its own intel channels and quite some people are actively hunting them. This is emergent gameplay at its best.

Of course I would be pissed off if they popped my hauling char in his freighter, mostly because I would  know that it is my fault when I actually fly a 1.6 billion worth normal freighter or 6.5bn jump freighter with say 1 billion in cargo through empire space and am too lazy to ask a corpmate to scout for me  and double serve as either electronic warfare or logistics (healer).

You see, it's not rocket science to tank your mining ships when the CODE. circus comes through. It is not rocket science to defend ships against gankers in highsec, It is not rocket science to scout for your expensive ships and cargos. The game has all possibilities for players to counter every behaviour which they don't find appropriate even when someone smacktalks you and is actually better at  trolling than you are you can just block him and fly on undisturbed.

Most people complaining never took the time to read up, join a corp, or use their brain. Instead they want to play EvE like a PvE themepark, happily flying along, not caring about anything and go all nuts when the core of the game happens. Pretty bad attitude if you ask me.

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Yes, confirmed that nobody ever uses throaway alts for their awoxing and scams. 
  • Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

i've been playing eve since 2005. i just cancelled my 7 accounts last week. i've seen this game go from a lot of role players, to a lot of trolls. although i cancelled my accounts for completely different reasons, i agree with the op with how crappy the community has become.

though in honesty, this is the general trend across the internet, not just eve. as the internet has become more and more easily accessible to all people from all walks of life, the bad come in with the good people. the douche bags who you used to used to avoid by using the internet back in the 90s are now the douche bags (and their kids) who you run into today.

• EvgireonEvgireon Member Posts: 71
    CCP should remove CONCORD to stop the player base from shrinking.
  • HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Honestly I read the first post and while long, it's well written. I just couldn't help thinking. It's a sandbox. Stop whining. You won't be competitive as someone that's been in game for a very long time. There are alliances for that. I also couldn't help thinking to myself that either this person wasn't interested in being in an alliance or was more interested in individual play. Being a loner in this game does not work. In which case he doesn't understand or simply ignored the premise of the game. It's a complaint that is very self absorbed and this one fails, because the person missed the point of the game. CCP gives you the framework to do what you want. They've tried nudging you along etc.. but they can't and won't take you by the hand and lead to you down the path. You are not entitled to succeed in this game, you have to earn it. If you're not smart enough , talented enough or social enough, you will fail. Much as in life.

ok, i have never played this game and never will, few pals that have played this have played it from the beginning so i know something, but i want to give my 2 cents about " there is an alliances for that " comment. ok game is sandbox yeah great so in order to actually get somewhere in this game , after your " character wich is SHIP " is created you need to beg someone to take your puny level 0 ship to their alliance means you start shouting in general pls take me in so that none would shoot me down!? 

I've been playing solo in high sec for six years and I can count on one finger the number of people that tried to suicide gank my character and all that player did was commit suicide by concord and that was many years ago.

Last year I dropped my industry alt into his own corp (member count: 1) and I've not even been threatened with a war dec.

People get an idea that they need to fly a ship with maximum DPS or maximum mining yield or cargo size without concerning themselves with silly things such as the cost of the ship vs. the cost of what can knock the ship out.

I have a lot of ISK but I can't hang it onto a ship or else I would lose it.

This is one of the dynamics about this game that new people joining from other MMORPGs don't initially understand even if they know that eve is a PvP game.

They buy one ship for a purpose and don't consider that perhaps a different ship would serve that purpose better.  Sure an industrial ship is made for transporting goods but does that mean that you should use it to transport a small item worth billions of ISK?  Most of us vets don't think so but there's a bunch of people that don't even consider that it calls for anything other than an industrial (with expanded cargo rigs and modules no less).  They lose the ship to a player and suddenly the game is wrong and CCP isn't doing anything to prevent it from happening, meanwhile, they were the ones with most of the control over what happened.

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Hazelle

I've been playing solo in high sec for six years 

The funny thing is to a lot of the critics here you would be one of those guys we can NEVER surpass because 6 years lol. I've been playing for 4 years so it means you are automatically in a better position than me. So many misconceptions about EVE.

I play only since 15 months and I could bite my arse that I didn't start back then in 2003. But yeah.. back then I just wasn't interested in internet spaceships.

I love the progression system. You are adequate very fast and still have room to improve. Always. The more you progress the more money you can potentially spend on "gear". And stil lose to a gang of frigs or a single hotdropper. Being highly skilled just means you can fly the shiny stuff the pirates or roamers are drooling over to get :)

If you happen to be old enough to fly a supercarrier or even a titan you may even make the headlines in the eve news sites as the retard who lost his 100bn ship to xyz.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Hazelle

I've been playing solo in high sec for six years and I can count on one finger the number of people that tried to suicide gank my character and all that player did was commit suicide by concord and that was many years ago.

Last year I dropped my industry alt into his own corp (member count: 1) and I've not even been threatened with a war dec.

People get an idea that they need to fly a ship with maximum DPS or maximum mining yield or cargo size without concerning themselves with silly things such as the cost of the ship vs. the cost of what can knock the ship out.

I have a lot of ISK but I can't hang it onto a ship or else I would lose it.

This is one of the dynamics about this game that new people joining from other MMORPGs don't initially understand even if they know that eve is a PvP game.

They buy one ship for a purpose and don't consider that perhaps a different ship would serve that purpose better.  Sure an industrial ship is made for transporting goods but does that mean that you should use it to transport a small item worth billions of ISK?  Most of us vets don't think so but there's a bunch of people that don't even consider that it calls for anything other than an industrial (with expanded cargo rigs and modules no less).  They lose the ship to a player and suddenly the game is wrong and CCP isn't doing anything to prevent it from happening, meanwhile, they were the ones with most of the control over what happened.

What do you do with ISK when you have amassed massive amounts but you don't wont to PVP?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Can't speak for him, but why would someony play games like SimCity or Minecraft? In EvE building a trade/indu empire can be a game in itself just a lot more interesting than the aforementioned since you have unpredictable  player interactions and also doing everything yourself is not feasible, so you probably have a corp of like minded people sharing effort an assets.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

9 year veteran...the moment the OP sided with a known griefer and ganker in his troll post vs ...let me check....ahm yes exactly griefers and gankers I knew what to expect from him which can best be summed up as: can't be arsed to adapt, want the game to hold my hand, mean players spanked me and I want to spank them back but I has no retardo gear progression to help me, this game suxor.

If you think I am being harsh this lad hasn't been around since the start...Christ m0o pirates were exploiting game mechanics to blow people up in 04! And CCP fixed the exploit but let m0o in peace because it was just that big a stupid oversight on the Dev part. Also the miner thing has been going on for what...7 years now? The only ones that get caught multiple times are botters and that is a boon for the game, CCP cut the legs off Hulkageddon with the insurance fix but people kept at it because there are still assholes botting.

Oh and if you gotta mine in high pro tip: Purveyor or Skiff with agility mods for lows or if you feel particularly lazy a Venture with t2 normals.

Venture is out.

Prospect is in!

• is.lander.12is.lander.12 Member Posts: 40

II don't get this kind of threads. If you wanna leave cancel you sub and go! Bye bye  dude..you wont be missed

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Same old story. We know, EvE has the worst online community of anywhere ever. 4Chan seems nice in comparison. We know, CCP encourages griefing, exploiting, and cheating in EvE, and they don't care enough about their game to do something about it.

We all know this. I played EvE years ago, and very little has changed since then, minus the fact that the community has gotten even worse if possible.

The world knows that EvE is a haven for trolls, because it encourages the worst possible breed of people to settle there with CCP's "No hands on we don't care about anyone but that $cha-ching$" philosophy.

If they ever decided to clean up the wreck that is the community at EVE, no more cha-ching, no more CCP. So the cycle of trolling, abuse, devolution, and general jackassery are perpetuated through angsty  tween emotions and love of money.

Welcome to EVE online.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

Same old story. We know, EvE has the worst online community of anywhere ever. 4Chan seems nice in comparison. We know, CCP encourages griefing, exploiting, and cheating in EvE, and they don't care enough about their game to do something about it.

We all know this. I played EvE years ago, and very little has changed since then, minus the fact that the community has gotten even worse if possible.

The world knows that EvE is a haven for trolls, because it encourages the worst possible breed of people to settle there with CCP's "No hands on we don't care about anyone but that $cha-ching$" philosophy.

If they ever decided to clean up the wreck that is the community at EVE, no more cha-ching, no more CCP. So the cycle of trolling, abuse, devolution, and general jackassery are perpetuated through angsty  tween emotions and love of money.

Welcome to EVE online.

I think you misspelled WoW because in EVE these trolls,griefers,whatnot have nowhere to hide from your vengeance but then again it takes brains and a plan to get revenge not a 5th grader's grasp of writing to bitch on the forums ( here or there ) and get the same reply: You could do it back so HTFU and stop expecting the GMs to be your daddy and beat up the bully for you.

• injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142
    It's posts like these that make me want to re-subscribe... Again.
    Originally posted by injenu
    It's posts like these that make me want to re-subscribe... Again.

That came to mind :)).

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

I love EVE.

250k less jerks to play the games I do like.

So someone like me who spent 7 years in EVE, was even a member of goonwaffe, never did any pvp other than being blown up twice, never scammed anyone, and spent most of my time as an industrialist who built things to sell in null sec, am by default a jerk because I played EVE?  

So if I'm a jerk for playing EVE, then what is someone who will call people they don't know a jerk for playing a game?  

BTW, members of goonwaffe are in every MMO out there.  

And I know it's hard to believe, but people who play EVE also play other games.  You should probably stop playing MMO's, I mean you don't want to play with one of us jerks, right? 

I knew it !, there is only one chat server for every MMO, how else would you explain the same rude, disgusting, stupid, bully remarks that every single MMO has?

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

Originally posted by Channce
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

I love EVE.

250k less jerks to play the games I do like.

So someone like me who spent 7 years in EVE, was even a member of goonwaffe, never did any pvp other than being blown up twice, never scammed anyone, and spent most of my time as an industrialist who built things to sell in null sec, am by default a jerk because I played EVE?  

So if I'm a jerk for playing EVE, then what is someone who will call people they don't know a jerk for playing a game?  

BTW, members of goonwaffe are in every MMO out there.  

And I know it's hard to believe, but people who play EVE also play other games.  You should probably stop playing MMO's, I mean you don't want to play with one of us jerks, right? 

I knew it !, there is only one chat server for every MMO, how else would you explain the same rude, disgusting, stupid, bully remarks that every single MMO has?

Please tell me that is sarcasm...

• xXStarstruckXxxXStarstruckXx Member Posts: 23

You guys are like omg.... soft-core players or something worse.

Gaming industry is not becoming worse it's becoming more Hardcore more games are focusing pvp, companies start to see that pve is booring peoples want action they want GvG they want to fight other players, structured gaming with team speak raid leaders and etc.

Sadly in this world we have peoples that got a purpose in a game too have fun too join up a team to play structured to fight battles.

then we have the mindless peoples that join EPIC LARGE BLOBS 10000000 PLAYERS ONE COMMANDER players. they are the ones that are killing games.

for example eve online I am not gonna quote which alliance but my crew around 20 companies decided to do a test, we change our names and everything new accounts we make a new alliance and we check how long it takes before the pugs start to send applications too us.

1 week and just 5 large battles and all the pugs mindless peoples started to sign up and boom 400+ player fleet and nobody knows what to do they just stick to the commander no idea what to do.

sucks for you that you get killed the second you get outta the start up field but hey never happened me and I have played on 15 accounts(just wanted to restart on new alias tbh still use my main<3) and never got shoot down.

how come that is possible when everyone else whine it's not? well I joined a ''start up alliance'' there is so many community alliances, community clans for newbies they will protect you, they will teach you.

my final suggestion is that you read the eve online community and ask peoples before throwing a rant<3

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

The fact that EvE is so successful despite it's  vector movement and the lack of popular orks and elves speaks for itself.

New people shouldn't be afraid to dive in just because somone decides to share how butthurt they got. Our worl is full of stories like this, don't let them dictate how you live and experience.

• pi.til.12pi.til.12 Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by StarI

The fact that EvE is so successful despite it's  vector movement and the lack of popular orks and elves speaks for itself.

New people shouldn't be afraid to dive in just because somone decides to share how butthurt they got. Our worl is full of stories like this, don't let them dictate how you live and experience.

+1

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379
    A few months isn't enough time to become accustomed to how eve is different than your typical MMORPG; so, instead of picking the game apart on this forum due to something you don't fully understand why don't you just ask the vets here for advice or help?

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I played EVE for a few years, mainly around the FSCN/BOB wars and the Good/BOB wars.  I can't lie.  I dug on it.  I ran a corp (a roleplay corp), joined corps and ran my own private mining corp with my alt.  Never got suicide ganked in highsec (I left around the time it was becoming popular), I did my share of 0.0 fighting/ratting and low-sec fighting/ratting.

I didn't leave because of the grief.  Grief is actually really easy to avoid if you just do some basic things, like run a tackler/escort alt orbiting your covetor, or not going in on Teamspeak/Vent, or not registering for player forums.  I have to laugh when these EVE heavyweights b!tch about "vent hacks" and website hacks in a game that actually promotes metagaming as a way to win.  I say what goes around, comes around, and I bet you'll see a whole lot more hacks and malware attacks as this game progresses into its next decade (if it even lasts that long).

But you see, that's the real problem with EVE.  As it's a game that is centered around professionalized clan versus clan organizations, the very entry requirements to the "game in chief" exposes you to the dirty tricks.  You want to join an alliance corp?  That's cool...but expect to be required to register to forums, log on to Teamspeak, killboards, yadda yadda, and then some time down the line get hacked by an alliance who takes you down.  But that's just window dressing.

Strangely enough, when I went out cruising for a fight in lo-sec with my puny Punisher frigate, nearly all the would-be pirates and gankers I targeted warped out real quick.  Pussies, really.  Why?  Real simple.  They know that I'm flying something that I don't give a sh!t about, so they don't give a sh!t about it.  What they want is the Caldari Navy battleship you earned, or the covetor, or something they know you like...even something cheap and worthless to them is better if they know it's important to you.

When I played, piracy was seen as a profession; a way to earn ISK.  These days, it seems piracy is just a way to earn lulz and forum fame.  Cheap gimmicks, really.  That's all EVE seems to be about now.

Part of it may be that the EVE faithful already have achieved their goals, and have new goals...perhaps even perverse goals...which don't include much game-related satisfaction anymore.  They don't need ISK.  They don't need security.  They don't even need to train new skills so much.  What they need is to get a rise out of another human being, or to feel that all the EVE success makes them special, or powerful, or whatnot.

Part of it may also be that CCP just isn't interested in giving you much of a game to play if you aren't going to "fit in" to the way the alliances have set things up on Tranquility (namely, mandatory voice use, IP tracking, professionalized guild membership, etc.).  Most of the players who aren't in that 10% of alliance players are still playing no better than Castor, as far as their gameplay.

To the guy who got canned and said, "I felt that," congratulations.  You have now just become initiated into the death-spiral of hardcore addictiveness, where your emotional health is now tied into a system that makes money--hand over fist--off of your emotional crisis.  The fact that you "got revenge" is, in the long run, probably the worst thing that could happen to you, since it'll only feed you deeper into the obsession.

But I do have to agree with the folks here, the EVE faithful, who say that CCP isn't going to change, and that grief is just part of the EVE experience.  Grief is, quite frankly, the only thing that is keeping the accounts subbed. to this thing  Grief has always been the flipside of powergaming; I don't think you can separate the two, psychologically.  Grief gives you an incentive to become a powergamer, it gives you drive to maintain your power, and it is also your reward (to grief others at will) for powergaming well.  EVE wouldn't survive without it, since without grief, hardcore EVE players would no longer have any hopes or fears.  CCP, I think, knows this, which is why they are going to double-down and triple down on it whenever it is convenient.  Tales of grief get the PLEX bought, the PLEX used and the accounts resubbed for those who are on the fence.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I haven't played EvE and now considering trying it. I don't understand though OP, if you really feel about this cause, why don't you make a guild with other people and hunt down the grievers? Like Space Police or something.