Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ Next

kresa3333kresa3333 Member UncommonPosts: 64
What do you think about this game guys? i know much is not known yet, but some of the features in this game are exactly what is missing in today's mmo industry . After all how many games can u stand with the same boring concept of leveling and farming gear from dungeons and raids . I hope they will manage to nail it because few allready tried and failed hard , need some strong complicated system to win over the traditional  mmo's we got now days 

Comments

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620
    I will let you know after SOELive this year. We should get some actual solid information, but then again, probably not until SOELive next year. Landmark is nothing like what EQNext will be, so you cant really use that. So we literally know nothing of EQNext so far, and even if we did, it would most likely change before it released in 2 years. 
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

vaporware

they sold the hype of EQN and turned into a boring Landmark game, hoping people would help them build the world.  We have seen zero progress, and nothing but "roundtables" since the EQN big reveal

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

My belief is they only just started on the game and it's a good 5 years away... all they gave us was a teaser and some programmers side pet project to carry us over.  Not even on the radar for me until atleast 2017.

• DrecapzDrecapz Member UncommonPosts: 38

I think SoE is being more transparent then any other companies that I care to follow in development. Does this mean they should put all there cards on the table? No, but why would they release information when Fan faire is literally a month away? I'm hoping we get more information on classes and AI, we can already see the world shaping in Landmark..

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118

I feel very iffy about EQNext.

Landmark came out of the blue and the moment it did, most news about EQNext disappeared. To me it seems that Sony was developing EQNext, but a bit over a year ago realised they overshot the hype and are not going to meet any sensible deadline - which lead them to quickly release whatever they had at the time and called it the Landmark.

This is purely speculation and my hunch, but it feels like Landmark was not "planned" and was simply a quick measure to feed the people and generate some profit. This may have swallowed most of the manpower SOE has and I find it hard to believe that SOE would have a whole team of other devs sitting in another building working on EQNext, while we see most of the known devs working on Landmark.

It is likely EQNext will be a "version of landmark" somewhere down the line. At this stage it feels the projects are probably identical - and developed by one team. I find it a little sad as I had hopes of EQNext being a successor of the RPG genre, following in the footsteps of EQ1 and EQ2. It may not be the case, not for a long while anyways.

• GenerolGenerol Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by kresa3333
    What do you think about this game guys? i know much is not known yet, but some of the features in this game are exactly what is missing in today's mmo industry . After all how many games can u stand with the same boring concept of leveling and farming gear from dungeons and raids . I hope they will manage to nail it because few allready tried and failed hard , need some strong complicated system to win over the traditional  mmo's we got now days 

I hope it turns out well as it would be enjoyable to revisit dungeons from over a decade ago (Kedge Keep!) with the new graphics and engines. That being said, I really don't have a whole lot of faith that it will turn out well when I consider how EQ2 and EQOA did and the lack of updates and progress it has currently made (or not made). 

Hopefully we don't get another one of these commercials to go with it too (remember this?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-CHG_To7Ag

I've been keeping an eye on it here and there and while I really hope it turns out to be something great I have about as much faith in that as I do in Brad McQuaid. Actually I take that back, I have much more faith that EQNext will turn out okay. Take that as you will.  

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by kresa3333

"strong complicated system"? What they need is a good game. I am more interested in Destiny (except that there is no PC version .. sigh) than EQN because Destiny seems to be more focus on making a good game.

• GenerolGenerol Member Posts: 34

At one point I thought EQN was going to revolutionize MMOs, now my expectations are down to "I hope it doesn't totally suck!".

Well stated. Frankly I can care less if the environment reacts or not and was much more interested in revisiting old "zones" with modern day graphics. 

Everquest actually has a deep lore and interesting/enjoyable character differences and landmasses. When I initially saw EQN I was hoping for a simple revamp/update of the original game with obvious improvements and quest additions but with the general focus remaining on simply revamping the original Everquest to modern day standards. At this point, who knows. 

I have a feeling that if the designers focused on that they would have a fairly large following as Everquest has a large fanbase and many people who miss elements about and within it. 

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378
    I feel like near the end of the year the hype train starts up again and the "savior of MMOs" is deemed to EQ:N. And all this talk right now dissapears and is replaced with the hype trains of yesterday. Who knows how good the game is though. If the storybrick AI is as good as they say it has a good chance.

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392

Until we see more info on Next and not Landmark ... who knows.

I hope Next turns out to be at least a decent play experience. The way AAA MMo's have been overhyped and mostly failing to deliver lately has me cautious of everything until I play it though.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Generol

At one point I thought EQN was going to revolutionize MMOs, now my expectations are down to "I hope it doesn't totally suck!".

Well stated. Frankly I can care less if the environment reacts or not and was much more interested in revisiting old "zones" with modern day graphics. 

Everquest actually has a deep lore and interesting/enjoyable character differences and landmasses. When I initially saw EQN I was hoping for a simple revamp/update of the original game with obvious improvements and quest additions but with the general focus remaining on simply revamping the original Everquest to modern day standards. At this point, who knows. 

I have a feeling that if the designers focused on that they would have a fairly large following as Everquest has a large fanbase and many people who miss elements about and within it. 

I can understand this sentiment but the nostalgic factor would wear off quick for all but a small number of people IMO.  That's why SoE scrapped the... well first or second iteration of EQ3.  They could see that in order to make an MMO as great as EQ was when it came out the status quo was not good enough.  Will EQN be that game changer? I would think we'd all hope so but we'll have to wait and see.  The AI is the biggest universal factor IMO second to legitimate group oriented content.  I can't wait for SoE Live image

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

In five years, the platform may not even be PC.  [...]

ROTFL

Yeah, right.

Because we all have much too much money, in order to waste them on buying the half of douzen or so proprietary consoles that are around.

And we all just love exchanging keyboard and mouse for more primitive input devices, because the games are SO much more fun with less options.

Originally posted by Aelious

I can understand this sentiment but the nostalgic factor would wear off quick for all but a small number of people IMO.  That's why SoE scrapped the... well first or second iteration of EQ3.  They could see that in order to make an MMO as great as EQ was when it came out the status quo was not good enough.  Will EQN be that game changer? I would think we'd all hope so but we'll have to wait and see.  The AI is the biggest universal factor IMO second to legitimate group oriented content.  I can't wait for SoE Live image

It is more likely a hail mary. I will bet that if EQN does not break through and become a hit, devs will just make other types of online games, and forget about MMORPGs (the classical kind).

In EQN case, F2P should help. At least more people will give it a try.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by aslan132
    I will let you know after SOELive this year.

i share the same feelings

SOE live is in 7 weeks - Aug 14 through Aug 17

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by Adamantine

ROTFL

Yeah, right.

Because we all have much too much money, in order to waste them on buying the half of douzen or so proprietary consoles that are around.

And we all just love exchanging keyboard and mouse for more primitive input devices, because the games are SO much more fun with less options.

PS4 and XBONE support mouse and keyboard.... Also they are much cheaper than a gaming PC. I love gaming on TV and consoles, so no bias here. just giving you a couple facts.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

Originally posted by Tyggs

ROTFL

Yeah, right.

PS4 and XBONE support mouse and keyboard.... Also they are much cheaper than a gaming PC. I love gaming on TV and consoles, so no bias here. just giving you a couple facts.

and steam boxes are coming too.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

You get what you pay for. Gaming PCs are much more powerful than any current generation consoles, which are quite a few years behind PC performance.

Plus, you can game on a large TV with a PC. Many has standard HDMI output. And PCs support xbox controllers. I play most games on my gaming laptop, and aside from console exclusives, you are not missing anything, but gains performance, and a lot more flexibility.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

I'm highly optimistic. While I'm not a blind fanboi, I do think SOE has the potential to make something great with what they have going so far. The design plan sounds better then anything else on the horizon or out, just a matter of them making it a reality.

So far, Landmark has been pretty much as described, hoping EQN follows as well. SOE Live should turn some doubters around if SOE actually shows some "real" game footage, but we'll see how it goes.

I do believe it is a good ways off and unless you are bored and not playing any other mmorpgs (myself), not really worth "following" currently.

Unless they totally throw what they've said out the window and all the promises are total hype lies, even if it isn't perfect, I doubt it could be worse then what else is available. Seems many will only be happy with their individual perfect game, which will never happen. I'll settle for a great experience overall, doesn't have to nail my 58 point list of demands for a game not to suck.

• SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100

this thread is hilarious :) 

just wait until SOE live, then speak

"My Core I7 4790K and Radeon 290x laughs at the playstations and other xboxes..."

my PC is even more powerful, but the new consoles, inspecific PS4 are designed better than all previous generations. These new consoles are powerful and CAN and WILL MOST likely run MMORPG's. True 8 core physical processors, 8GB RAM, AMD hardware designed around future mantle API implementation & optimization is nothing to laugh at.

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Most core system's are being tested in Landmark btw. Having been in Landmark for a while now all I can say is, EQN is going to be great. 
  • Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

ROTFL

Yeah, right.

Not to sound like a PC master race lord here, but PS4 and Xbone are $399.

Each game has a +$10 licencing fee tacked on to it (That's how they subsidize their low hardware costs).

Xbone and PS4 render their games at 790p - 1080p, at 30 to 60fps depending on the title. Tom's System Builder Marathon Q1 this year proved you could get the same FPS, resolution and visual quality for about $600 - $700.  Now you say "Hey that's still +$200 - $300!" 

You're right, but then I counter with:

Steam Sales, at least 2 times a year PC gamers are getting huge discounts on a massive number of big name and indie titles.

F2P games.  PC has far more F2P games than consoles do.

Indie games.  PC has far more indie games to choose from, many of which are great fun at a fraction of the cost of console games.

PC gamers don't have to pay that +$10 licensing fee on most AAA games.

Over the course of a gaming PC's life, if you retain the same console-level visual quality (790p - 1080p / 30 - 60fps, no AA, high-settings ) you don't need to upgrade, the hardware will keep up.

You can also hook up the PC to a TV and play on the couch using wireless xbox controller (or other wireless gamepads) with no issues at all.  Hell you can even set it to boot into steam big-picture mode upon start up and treat it like a pure console if you want.

So in the long run, 10+ steam sales, not paying licensing fees, indie games, F2P games..... in the end, PC is vastly cheaper than consoles.

This isn't to say "Don't buy consoles! rawr!". (I own 3 gaming PCs *one for my wife, one for me and a HTPC in the living room for controller friendly games to be played on my 120" projection screen*, as well as a Wii U, PS4, Xbone, Shield portable, Shield tablet, 3DS XL, etc etc.)......  I'm simply stating from an objective point of view, PCs are only slightly more of an investment upfront than consoles are, but over the long run are objectively cheaper over the life cycle of the system.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307

ROTFL

Yeah, right.

Much cheaper ?  Lets use PS4 for example.

Console - $399 + tax

Another controller $59.99 + Tax

every single game new $59.99 + tax

Battery for your controller $10-20+ tax

Even your average AMD CPUs with your mid tier AMD GPUs can smoke either console in power and graphics.  You can build one for $600.  With either console you're getting what amounts to a $99 bottom tier AMD CPU.  They wouldn't come close to touching the power of an I7 or even AMDs 9370

Someone listed all the positives comparing the consoles and PCs and the PCs win out hands down.  Consoles only became relevant because the PC industry did not innovate and get people using TVs as monitors.   Seriously why do people continue to pay the $10 licensing fee on top of every single console game when most of them come out on the PC also for cheaper ?   You can guy a cheap wireless adapter to use your Xbox controller or PS3/4 one with your PC.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

I heard they added a new tag line to the website.

EQ Next: Your grandkids are going to love this!

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Originally posted by SupaAPE

this thread is hilarious :) 

just wait until SOE live, then speak

"My Core I7 4790K and Radeon 290x laughs at the playstations and other xboxes..."

my PC is even more powerful, but the new consoles, inspecific PS4 are designed better than all previous generations. These new consoles are powerful and CAN and WILL MOST likely run MMORPG's. True 8 core physical processors, 8GB RAM, AMD hardware designed around future mantle API implementation & optimization is nothing to laugh at.

These consoles could easily run MMOs though the old generation ran FFXIV just fine and SOE has Planetside 2 in alpha/beta and it's running just fine.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

vaporware

they sold the hype of EQN and turned into a boring Landmark game, hoping people would help them build the world.  We have seen zero progress, and nothing but "roundtables" since the EQN big reveal

Kind of my thoughts, too.  I know, I know they must be making some design progress on the game, but the entire Landmark thing seems like blands-ville to me.

I'm thinking WOW is going to be it for a long time to come, and that's too bad.

My thoughts as well..  My crystal ball tells me that EQN is going to be a flop..  And I was truly hoping for a legitimate sequel to EQ1 (since EQ2 failed)..  But hey, EQN is suppose to be F2P right?  And I'm sure they'll have some huge ass cash walls..  lol  The last I heard is that EQNext is getting 2 hours of love at SOE Live.. Only 2 blooming hours.. Really??? I guess they don't have much to talk about still..