Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting minigames in MMO good or bad in your opinion?

TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

For me I love the crafting minigames in Vanguard and EQ2, It felt nice when you a succefully created a  "A" item.

Most MMOs these days are just 1+1=done or 1+1+2=done

How do you feel about it, you want more minigames in crafting or do you find it annoying?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Depends entirely on the game. I really like the sandbox of UO and EVE, but I also like the fact that I click a couple buttons and I am set for arrows/missiles for a week or two. I liked EQ2 and Wildstar's crafting, but that's because i don't really rely on it for much of what I personally need in those games. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211

I also enjoy crafting minigames.  Vanguard, EQ2, FFXIV:ARR.   Vanguard was one of my favorites since you could get really nice crafting tools as a work order turn in.  Then turn around and sell it on the market.   FFXIV was also great for me since it took some strategy to craft some awesome things.  I really enjoyed messing around with some of the macros in that game.  Of all the games, I thought that FFXIV had one of the most well thought out crafting systems---starting with gathering.   Really a good system.

I'm a crafter at heart so really enjoy a game that has a well thought out crafting system.  Minigames are quite enjoyable for me.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I'd only  care about mini-games if the products you produce in the MMO are individualistic.  If two people with the same skills and level, starting with the same ingredients, will always produce identical products, what difference does it make?  Just let me push a few buttons and crank out the product like an assembly line.  It's only if it looks different, if it has different stats, if it functions differently.

I never take crafting all that seriously because it's all the same for everyone.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

It's good if implemented well.  I'd argue that A Tale in the Desert is the best as it.  FFXIV also did it pretty nicely.

Vanguard did it badly, as crafting was mostly about crafting a zillion of something stupid in order to level, and without having to pay much attention beyond using the same sequence of actions every time.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

i love minigames, style "gather the mats then click 1 button to craft" is (for me) boring, since i consider myself to be crafter more than adventurer.

more or less the only game i didnt mind it was AC2 with its randomized results, where i was most of the time in suspense what will i create this time :)

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Torgrim

For me I love the crafting minigames in Vanguard and EQ2, It felt nice when you a succefully created a  "A" item.

How do you feel about it, you want more minigames in crafting or do you find it annoying?

annoying. I play games mostly for combat, not mini-games.

And when i want a puzzle game, i play a puzzle game or a point & click adventure.

Originally posted by Quizzical

It's good if implemented well.  I'd argue that A Tale in the Desert is the best as it.  FFXIV also did it pretty nicely.

Vanguard did it badly, as crafting was mostly about crafting a zillion of something stupid in order to level, and without having to pay much attention beyond using the same sequence of actions every time.

i disagree (about vanguard), i would say that if you every time used the same sequence of actions, you either didnt get too far (craft level) or you could have never crated A quality item.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

And when i want a puzzle game, i play a puzzle game or a point & click adventure.

how would you like if the combat would be "target an enemy, then press 1 button"?

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Mostly just annoying. 

Just make work in the end, on most of those that use it.  Might as well just make people play a game of 5 card draw instead, if they win they get a rare. Be more interesting than most of the way games do it.

SWG had the right idea as far as i am concerned. Put better ingredients in, get better stuff out.. The rest, just so much wasted time.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I'm not a fan of mini-games in general. When I saw the Wildstar video featuring a chest lock mini-game based on Electronic Simon, that was the proverbial "Final Straw" that made me decide to pass on the game.

Even in my single player RPGs, I hate them. When I play Skyrim, FO, or Oblivion,  I skip over lock picking. I'll either use the console to bypass the minigame, or as in oblivion, I use the console to give myself 1000 lockpicks and just spam the auto function. I don't give 2 shits that I am cheating in this aspect of the game. I despise these kinds of games within games. If I were a modder, I'd mod these mini-games right out and just make it a behind the scene mechanic based on my character's skills. For MMORPGs, I'd rather just use more traditional crafting mechanics.........Especially where I cannot opt to bypass such mini-games.

Originally posted by Benedikt

how would you like if the combat would be "target an enemy, then press 1 button"?

Annoying, i will play some other games. But i play games for combat, not crafting. So putting in crafting mini-game only serves to annoy me.

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194

There's two kind of people: Those who enjoy crafing and those who don't.

Problem is that current crafting in MMO (WoW clones) is either too boring ("1+1=done") or too mandatory (giving you "soulbound stats" or soulbound armor).

So it's kinda the worst of both world :s

Crafting should be fun and engaging; a way to create unique items ! If you don't like crafting, well, just don't use it and buy the stuff instead.

Annoying, i will play some other games. But i play games for combat, not crafting. So putting in crafting mini-game only serves to annoy me.

no one is forcing you to craft, i actually dont know any mmorpg where you would HAVE to craft for any reason, usually you can (usually even easily) either make money to buy items from crafters or get same/better items other way

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by Quizzical

i disagree (about vanguard), i would say that if you every time used the same sequence of actions, you either didnt get too far (craft level) or you could have never crated A quality item.

If there was a good crafting system buried behind an enormous pile of grinding to get high enough level for the system to be good, then that, in itself, constitutes a bad crafting system.

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194
    no one is forcing you to craft, i actually dont know any mmorpg where you would HAVE to craft for any reason, usually you can (usually even easily) either make money to buy items from crafters or get same/better items other way

In WoW, each crafting profession gives you extra stats. So if you do any serious raiding or pvp, you MUST level 2 professions.

Originally posted by aSynchro

In WoW, each crafting profession gives you extra stats. So if you do any serious raiding or pvp, you MUST level 2 professions.

well i did left wow shortly after wotlk release so dont know if they changed it later, but at that time 1. the bonuses were a lot smaller then difference the eq made, 2. crafting in wow was a joke, you could have leveled it in couple hours even if you didnt buy mats on AH (and as a person who had 3 crafting server first in wotlk even tho i started to play cca 12hrs after release i should know)

• cyberpunkhobocyberpunkhobo Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by aSynchro

I find crafting inherently boring, myself. Like aSynchro suggested, I only engage in it because of the potential combat benefits it provides. And there are benefits, however marginal, in practically every MMORPG. Coupled with my strong desire to be self-sufficient, that usually means I have to level crafting professions at some point or another. So the less time-consuming or involved it tries to be, the better.

Mini-games are a cheap guise anyway. The act of crafting is not fun. The lead-up to the crafting of an item can sometimes be interesting (finding the recipe, getting the mats, etc.); and obviously having something you made yourself is cool. But crafting, itself--especially as repetitive as its implementation typically is in MMOs--is about as exciting as pulling the lever on a slot machine over and over again. If my recent experience with FFXIV has taught me anything, it's that I'll find even a well-intentioned crafting system boring as hell.

Keep it simple, I say. And stop hiding crappy games within my game to try to transform what is essentially the worst type of time-sink into something "fun".

I didn't say I am forced to craft. The OP posted a question "Crafting minigames in MMO good or bad in your opinion?", and my answer is "it is bad for me", in my opinion. So what you said is irrelevant to my post.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

I hope OP use MMORPG so i can say it good , because it add more role playing element .

But sadly he only use MMOs .

in case of [MMO]RPG

No matter what people who love combat said , crafting minigames good for role playing games .

Because role playing game wasn't all about combat but about "role playing".

if they love combat only game then they should chose action games and not RPG

Just my opinion lol.