Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low server population hampering my gaming experience

sebrtoothsebrtooth Member Posts: 6
Are you guys having trouble joining adventures or just joining groups for random quests? It sure feels that way on my pve server. Once you reach level 20+, certain zones feel empty, and I spend most of the time soloing, which is a shame, given the great content this game has to offer. Maybe they should consider merging servers? Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

Comments

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Wow that sucks if zones are feeling empty already in this game.
  • FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Find some real friends and play together.  Relying on some automated queue system is a recipe for disaster.  Real friends = sure thing.  You need to find people to play with.  Servers are only dead because you let them be.  Call up reinforcements.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Foobarx
    Find some real friends and play together.  Relying on some automated queue system is a recipe for disaster.  Real friends = sure thing.  You need to find people to play with.  Servers are only dead because you let them be.  Call up reinforcements.

Unless the game has some sort of mentoring systems, the quest/level based design will prohibit him from playing with his friends as they will not be able to keep in lock step.  Means a long lonely grind to the top where you can finally join them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sebrtoothsebrtooth Member Posts: 6
    I usually make friends in MMO by finding them. When a server has low pop, that's not an easy task. If these guys don't pay attention to these sort of things, they will go f2p in no time. Adjust your server pop or allow free transfers, because this sucks.
    There is a mentoring system, but the point is that there is just to ofew players around. What if my friends don't play mmo's? Why can't I find enough players in my zone to participate with them in common quests? sigh...
  • BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by sebrtooth
    Are you guys having trouble joining adventures or just joining groups for random quests? It sure feels that way on my pve server. Once you reach level 20+, certain zones feel empty, and I spend most of the time soloing, which is a shame, given the great content this game has to offer. Maybe they should consider merging servers? Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

Most are level 50 or close to it by now....I guess I would compare your situation to why WoW's leveling zones are not packed with players 24/7. Especially once you reach the higher parts of leveling.

As for queue times I know at level 50 when queuing for DPS (For both VET Dungeons and VET Adventures) its around a 1 min wait. I've been seeing more and more players in the major city on my server (Pago, its PvP but with a heavy PvE community) 

There is also a mentoring system if one of your friends is on the server but higher level. If you truly believe its your server and its empty even at normally crowded times (the city is a good indication of this) then I would recommend switching servers.

I would be surprised if it was empty at all though. Unless it was the newest server added.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Unless the game has some sort of mentoring systems, the quest/level based design will prohibit him from playing with his friends as they will not be able to keep in lock step.  Means a long lonely grind to the top where you can finally join them.

it is nice that you are helping to support the concerns of the OP but he should do a bit a research...

The game has a mentor system that allows a high level player to mentor down to group with lower level players.  

The game has cross server que'ing group finding tools so most grouping content isn't impacted by local zone population

The game also uses a phasing systems so being a zone that feels empty doesn't mean there are NO other players your level around, you just need to talk to people and sync to the phase of others you group with or join a guild.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

It does have a mentoring system.

To Op: The only thing i can think is if you joined one of the newer added servers you might of got the short end of the stick. when the game launched a lot of players didn't get the server they wanted so they started on the lesser pop servers, once the free transfers came a lot of people left to join other servers and my guess is most of the players who didn't get  space jumped back to their main server choice when Que times went down. It's what quite a few people did in my guild to get on  Hazak.

Originally posted by rutaq

it is nice that you are helping to support the concerns of the OP but he should do a bit a research...

The game has a mentor system that allows a high level player to mentor down to group with lower level players.  

The game has cross server que'ing group finding tools so most grouping content isn't impacted by local zone population

The game also uses a phasing systems so being a zone that feels empty doesn't mean there are NO other players your level around, you just need to talk to people and sync to the phase of others you group with or join a guild.

I was not aware of that. I used the in-game grouping tool. Is it an addon?

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428
    no Addon, just the built in LFG.   You will still have to deal with the standard PUG drama but it isn't oo hard to find groups.
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

@OP

Just make sure when you use the grouping tool that you don't have "my realm only" checked then you should be g2g depending on your class you may get insta-que....... Now if you DPS you will probably be in for a short wait......

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

not sure what game your playing but que times are less than 20min unless you select the "my server only" option.

Just like WoW and other MMOs once more people reach max level the low level 20ish ques get longer.

There are no lack of people playing, I can say that for a certainty.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

I see lots of people when Im playing, ive had instant queues as DPS for the first adventure and first dungeon, but usually <20 min.   My higher level character is a healer so i dont typically wait. <10 min

If your not seeing people /shrug

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Bruhza
    Originally posted by sebrtooth

Most are level 50 or close to it by now....I guess I would compare your situation to why WoW's leveling zones are not packed with players 24/7. Especially once you reach the higher parts of leveling.

As for queue times I know at level 50 when queuing for DPS (For both VET Dungeons and VET Adventures) its around a 1 min wait. I've been seeing more and more players in the major city on my server (Pago, its PvP but with a heavy PvE community) 

There is also a mentoring system if one of your friends is on the server but higher level. If you truly believe its your server and its empty even at normally crowded times (the city is a good indication of this) then I would recommend switching servers.

I would be surprised if it was empty at all though. Unless it was the newest server added.

I just find all of this hard to believe, the game just came out, I"ve never seen a problem in any MMO like this before, something doesn't add up here. I also find it hard to believe most are close to 50 by now, no way....

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Distopia

I just find all of this hard to believe, the game just came out, I"ve never seen a problem in any MMO like this before, something doesn't add up here. I also find it hard to believe most are close to 50 by now, no way....

I think the Main problem, which is going to bite them in the butt BIG TIME! Is the Heavy use of phasing.

I think that is the main issue, as to why you see so little amount of eople in each zone now.  Everyone is on different stages of quests and so in a different phase.

Not good!

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Distopia

I think the Main problem, which is going to bite them in the butt BIG TIME! Is the Heavy use of phasing.

I think that is the main issue, as to why you see so little amount of eople in each zone now.  Everyone is on different stages of quests and so in a different phase.

Not good!

I keep seeing people in my zones. There is always at least a few other peeps around. I do get the impression though that Dominion on my server is less populated that Exile. I have tried both sides and the Exile side had too many people lol!

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

If your server is medium to full, and your not seeing people its just because of how the game is designed and I like it.  It's got huge open world zones, so your not tripping over people everywhere you go, unless you go into town.  I remember playing on a vanilla wow PvP server that was nearly always full, but the gameworld was so big and the zones so vast I rarely saw people running around out in the gameworld, there was just enough people to make it seem realistic but not annoying.

Most games these days are designed to keep people all piled together in the same place all the time to make the game feel populated, and now people think if they don't see 7 people every 15 secs the game world is dead.

You want to see a bunch of people go to a capital city, I'm sure its swarming with people.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There are mentoring and rallying systems in place, and the mentor gets Renown points for aiding the lower level player. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Kinda defeats the purpose of playing an "MMORPG" if you have a static group of friends...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Nitth

Kinda defeats the purpose of playing an "MMORPG" if you have a static group of friends...

Why so? Do you feel most people are playing MMOs to make new friends and meet new people?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Nitth

Why so? Do you feel most people are playing MMOs to make new friends and meet new people?

No, but wgy play MMO then? Its MMO, massive, 5 is NOT massive. 40 is not massive. Especially if enclosed in their own bubble all the time.

Its pretty much as is said it, these people just want lobby game and Carbine provided a lobby game.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

Friends who have friends make more friends.  Solo players tend to remain solo.  You bring a friend to the table, they bring a friend to the table.  It's give and take.  The notion of logging in and expecting everyone to play with you is absurd.  Especially these days.  Like I said, the world is only as populated as you make it.  It's why games like these die off so quickly now... everyone expects everyone else to do the work for them.

Nuke group/whatever finders and you will see a revival of the friend making process.  Rely on the finder and you will see the number of soloists skyrocket and wonder why they have to wait 12 hours for a slot.