Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I left EVE -- and why you shouldn't bother with this game.

Comments

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

The level of angst, hate and nerd rage EvE generates year after year continues to astound and amaze me. The game must be doing something right if it continues to generate such strong emotions from its detractors.

Or it could be that the crowd here on MMORPG is a bit om the diva/emotional/immature side.... You decide.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by oldphart
    Originally posted by Sybnal

*snip*

My point is, I FELT that shit.  No game before or since could invest me emotionally like that. I actually wanted real revenge..lol.  I didn't bitch or moan or run to the forums crying like a little girl though.  I found out what my mistakes were, vowed to never repeat them, and made the money back in a couple weeks.  Eventually, I found a small merc corp that agreed to grief the suicide ganking prick and his partner at their gate camps. @#$% him.

*snip*

+1

This is pure poetry imho.  

This is exactly the way to express the true essence of EVE.   Sybnal, you just made me want to resub.   

I've played off and on since 2004.  Experienced every single aspect of the EVE universe.   Failed at many things, and excelled at a few.    

I've seen my share of painful situations. I've felt the need for revenge.  I've taken it.   I've caused others to seek revenge as well.   The point is, no other game has even come close to brewing the emotional responses that EVE draws out.   For better or worse.    .... "I FELT that shit."   spot on.    True gratification can only exist in such an atmosphere...

Kudos to you sir.  thank you for talking me into giving it another temporary reactivation ;-)

Ya, EvE is the only MMO I ever get an itch to go back to.  All dozens of other MMO's I've played over the years are dead to me when I stop playing them.  It's such a weird, boring, white knuckle, confusing trip every time I play.  It's truly unique.

To the OP.  What I don't understand, is why you didn't take the opportunity to make your own story? Why not start searching for other victims of these CODE dicks (sounds like there is probably a lot of them) and get together and start ruining THEIR fun?  I mean a group of young upstarts fighting the evil company that preys on the small independents? Come on. That's gold. It sounds like a space western.  Make your game all about ruining theirs.  Maybe you'll meet some awesome ppl, maybe you'll actually put a dent in their armor, maybe you could topple them completely and scatter their members to the winds.  It's been done before. Maybe you can even get them to cry about you on the fourms..lol.

All I'm saying is, who cares if you totally fail,  it's more about the trying. With a large goal like that you will probably have lots to do everyday and some days will be better than others. But overall it would probably be fun.

Or just quit and let the terrorists win.  Up to you I guess. 

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Your post is insanely well though out and I think all of your points are spot on, however isn't what you described EXACTLY what happens in all Free for all factionless PvP games?   It has been for EVERYONE I've ever played and they eventually all just ate themselves to death from the inside out.

I don't think there is anything that can be done here, it is the nature of the beast its how humans are wired, the majority of us all start off kind of passive having fun with something when we are all peers, but the second someone gets the upper hand they exploit it.

Eve will never be mainstream its just going to Peak then slowly retract down to group of hardcore players, its the cycle of these types of games.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by alexhpy98721

Its the reason i left too... i just wanted to listen to my Dune audio books while doing some space missions in their "High Security" space in EVE... i got Suicide Ganked by groups of players over and over, even when i made sure they did not get any profit out of killing me.

I contacted CCP letting them know that they are doing it just to harass me as they were losing money by losing their own ships to destroy mine but CCP said its fine.

So i left and never came back...

EDIT: I`ll also add that CCP said that it was PVP... well maybe their definition of PVP is a 15 vs 1 fight where that one player can`t even attack first or his ship will get destroyed by the "police" and that with 15 people they can take out any mission ship before the "police" arrives to take them out. That is not PvP, that`s just pure griefing and CCP`s answer is "well buy a new GTC to sell in the game for a new ship!" essentially forcing you to fund your griefers.

Unless you absolutely enjoy griefing, there are better PvP games out there where they have systems in  place to make sure its somewhat consensual and balanced.

Posts like this make me want to reactive an account in EVE and roll a new alt from scratch just to see if it is true.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by alexhpy98721

Its the reason i left too... i just wanted to listen to my Dune audio books while doing some space missions in their "High Security" space in EVE... i got Suicide Ganked by groups of players over and over, even when i made sure they did not get any profit out of killing me.

I contacted CCP letting them know that they are doing it just to harass me as they were losing money by losing their own ships to destroy mine but CCP said its fine.

So i left and never came back...

EDIT: I`ll also add that CCP said that it was PVP... well maybe their definition of PVP is a 15 vs 1 fight where that one player can`t even attack first or his ship will get destroyed by the "police" and that with 15 people they can take out any mission ship before the "police" arrives to take them out. That is not PvP, that`s just pure griefing and CCP`s answer is "well buy a new GTC to sell in the game for a new ship!" essentially forcing you to fund your griefers.

Unless you absolutely enjoy griefing, there are better PvP games out there where they have systems in  place to make sure its somewhat consensual and balanced.

Posts like this make me want to reactive an account in EVE and roll a new alt from scratch just to see if it is true.

Kyleran, please do. You don't even have to reactivate an account. Do a buddy trial and then relay your experiences here. I think most here would agree that you're someone who comes across level headed and quite grounded in reality. I think it would be great to get your view of the High Sec experience, especially since you also know the game itself very well. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• OminousDawnOminousDawn Member Posts: 75

The OP seems very level headed and makes a well reasoned argument for her post.  She obviously likes the game and wants to save it, hence this thread.  Yet instead of heeding her advice, proponents of Eve want to blindly lump her into the "hater" category and lash out at her to their own detriment.  Her point is not a solitary one.  There have been numerous threads on this topic on this forum and many other websites forums screaming out the same warning she is trying to bring to light.  And the warnings are not only coming from new players, some are coming from players who have played the game for up to eight and ten years.  Yet all we hear in this and many other forums from Eve proponents is "carebear this," carebear that,"  and " ho hum ... carebear everywhere."

What if the issues that these Eve players are bringing up about the "newbie experience" and the mindless "gankfest mentality" in the game are real?  The game has evolved over the years.  It could very well be a different game from when any of you first started.  I am sure the mentality has changed because the mentality in all PvP games have changed including the mindest of PvP players in MMORPGs from a decade ago to the mindset of PvP players in MMORPG games today.  Wouldn't you want them addressed so as to ensure success and longevity in the game?  Perhaps Eve proponents would prefer that these "cries for help" would continue to be ignored thereby ensuring the ultimate death of their beloved game?

Something to think about.

The game you are looking for requiring no PvE completion and where you can just jump in and start mindlessly shooting at people is that way - >>>>

... it's called an FPS.

Quit ruining the MMORPG genre with your constant "PvE grind" whines.

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 647
    Originally posted by shiner421

This post is correct on all points.

Griefing will ruin the entire gaming industry someday, and that day is drawing close fast. I have always had nothing but disrespect and sadness at people who gankg.

Personally, id almost go so far to say that ANYONE who playus games only for pvp is a ganker, griefer, and hasnt learned yet what 'fun' truly means.

Anyone defending eve on this post is part of the gankers. I cannot prove this. I do believe this. Anyone who tries to claim that they dont play but want to defend CCP is lying and is a ganker and griefer.

eve WAS a great game. Now its a sandbox for the veteran players. They will never have anyone new players of significance again and will only be able to play against the same people they have been playing for all these years. Sooner or later the vets will get sick of it and leave, and CCP will no longer have any games that anyone wants to play. I forsee the end of CCP coming.

I compare a lot of the "non gaking" EVE players to a mechanic, or some other innocuous job worker in the military.

"What are you?" - "A mechanic" -

"Do you kill people?" - "No." 

"What do you repair" - "Tanks"

"What do they do?" - "Kill people"

The mentality of the "industrialist" EVE players is identical. It's THEIR playing that allows the griefers and bullies to thrive. It's their inability or lack of desire to do or say anything that allows the community to devolve. The things they do, produce, sell and say in the game, allows the bullying to continue... but they don't care since they don't have to deal with it themselves. The financial support they provide to CCP with real money tells the company "It's all cool. Don't change a thing!" so nothing changes.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by OminousDawn

The OP seems very level headed and makes a well reasoned argument for her post.  She obviously likes the game and wants to save it, hence this thread.  Yet instead of heeding her advice, proponents of Eve want to blindly lump her into the "hater" category and lash out at her to their own detriment.  Her point is not a solitary one.  There have been numerous threads on this topic on this forum and many other websites forums screaming out the same warning she is trying to bring to light.  And the warnings are not only coming from new players, some are coming from players who have played the game for up to eight and ten years.  Yet all we hear in this and many other forums from Eve proponents is "carebear this," carebear that,"  and " ho hum ... carebear everywhere."

What if the issues that these Eve players are bringing up about the "newbie experience" and the mindless "gankfest mentality" in the game are real?  The game has evolved over the years.  It could very well be a different game from when any of you first started.  I am sure the mentality has changed because the mentality in all PvP games have changed including the mindest of PvP players in MMORPGs from a decade ago to the mindset of PvP players in MMORPG games today.  Wouldn't you want them addressed so as to ensure success and longevity in the game?  Perhaps Eve proponents would prefer that these "cries for help" would continue to be ignored thereby ensuring the ultimate death of their beloved game?

This is why I would like to see Kyleran's take - or any returning player, for that matter - on today's High Sec experience. I'm not about to suggest the OP didn't experience what she experienced, but I will say it is odd for such a scenario of very expensive and otherwise unrewarding attacks to occur unprovoked. Either way, I'm interested in reading others experiences in EVE's High Sec space. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by Sybnal 

To the OP.  What I don't understand, is why you didn't take the opportunity to make your own story? Why not start searching for other victims of these CODE dicks (sounds like there is probably a lot of them) and get together and start ruining THEIR fun? 

Or just quit and let the terrorists win.  Up to you I guess. 

Because the coward CODE gankers hide in NPC corps and hence can not be wardec'd and newbies can not find them due to lack of skill and influence.

----

You, as an experienced player, are very well aware of the fact that they can't do shit against a group of gankers that have billions of ISK from extortion and exploit broken game mechanics.

EDIT: spelling

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

peoples playing EVE in wrong way, there is not broken game mechanic or exploit ,it is just EVE game play if you cant deal with EVE sand box gameplay  ,   go play some other mmo ,   there are thousand solo playable ,,mmo's,,(today every game who must have internet connection is called MMO)

STOP crying  !  It is EVE !

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by OminousDawn

This is why I would like to see Kyleran's take - or any returning player, for that matter - on today's High Sec experience. I'm not about to suggest the OP didn't experience what she experienced, but I will say it is odd for such a scenario of very expensive and otherwise unrewarding attacks to occur unprovoked. Either way, I'm interested in reading others experiences in EVE's High Sec space.  

Mileage may vary depending on the type of player.  Kyleran, where did you previously spend most of your time in Eve (I think you mentioned wormhole space in the past)?  Could you continue your former career in hi sec?

I know if I returned to Eve, I could never stay in hi sec.  There would be nothing for me to do.  I'd get bored and leave within a week.  To me, hi sec is a different game than low sec and null sec.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

peoples playing EVE in wrong way, there is not broken game mechanic or exploit ,it is just EVE game play if you cant deal with EVE sand box gameplay  ,   go play some other mmo ,   there are thousand solo playable ,,mmo's,,(today every game who must have internet connection is called MMO)

I swear i could not have made this shit up myself! Best example of why EvE is in trouble. People like him!

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by Kangaroomouse
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

I swear i could not have made this shit up myself! Best example of why EvE is in trouble. People like him!

On the contrary, he's helping the game by playing it and paying his subscription.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• ReeperReeper Member UncommonPosts: 121

out mining, destroyed my ship, laughed said nothing personal just wanted to test his new weapons, "youll get over it noob"

Ya i want to play with these people, EVE wins, ill go play a different game they dont need me.

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by goboygo

Your post is insanely well though out and I think all of your points are spot on, however isn't what you described EXACTLY what happens in all Free for all factionless PvP games?   It has been for EVERYONE I've ever played and they eventually all just ate themselves to death from the inside out.

I don't think there is anything that can be done here, it is the nature of the beast its how humans are wired, the majority of us all start off kind of passive having fun with something when we are all peers, but the second someone gets the upper hand they exploit it.

Eve will never be mainstream its just going to Peak then slowly retract down to group of hardcore players, its the cycle of these types of games.

You do realize that this particular 'factionless PvP game' has been around longer than roughly 99% of the MMO's that are still on the market today?

More PvE games have died while this one ate itself to.... well, it's not even close to death, and is one of the only successful sub-based games that ever came around.

EVE isn't meant for current game hoppers. It's not a hand holding festival. It takes a long time to develop and really get into the real core of the gameplay, and along the way you're going to die a lot. You're not going to solo and faceroll anything. You're not the hero of any story equal to all other players that are the hero of the same story, and if you go out to kill 10 rats, the only way you're coming back is in a body bag.

The game wasn't made for today's gamers. it's 10 years old. it took a lot of time and a lot of money and a lot of effort for your so-called gankers to even get to where they are today, and the same crap you complain about still happens to them if they're not careful. And again, for everyone that makes the claim, year after year, that EVE has to change and cater to this crowd or that crowd or it will die.... where's your MxO? Where's your SWG? How many days or weeks did you play before you quit SWTOR? GW2? ESO? EVE is still around, will still be around next year when you come to enlighten us with your message that it's dying, and will still be around the year after that too. And in that time I can almost guarantee that everyone here complaining about it will have hopped through at least 4 or 5 games in that amount of time, with each of you rallying for the fanboi flag for the first month or so before coming here to make a post on why those games are dying >.>

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by joosii
    Originally posted by Calfis
    Originally posted by joosii

Actually, the fact that I stuck to EVE for 10 months IS what makes my complaint significant.

10 months in and you're still mining in highsec? Join a renter corp a mine in the safety and profit of nullsec. I suggest any of the corps here

Shameless recruiting in thread. I love it. <3

Not even joking, you don't even need to fight. Just move straight down to one of the many mining corps down there, grab a ship and start mining. Its literally all they do, the corp pays rent to the alliance every month and they mine in peace! You might see hostile roams every now and then but you can just warp to a station or a POS if a station is not present. Its a very simple way of life where you just train skills and accumulate isk until you are ready to move up on the nullsec foodchain, everyone starts out this way.

Even if internet spaceship empires are being destroyed the renters will simply switch to the rental alliance being setup by the conquerors. Seen it happen many times through the years, been there myself in the early days. Everything gets all panicky when you dunno to stick with the current landlord or switch to the guys burning your villages but when the winner becomes clear, you bandwagon like all the other isk farmers and things settle down to the quiet lull nullsec regions always see during times of peace.

Originally posted by Krematory

On the contrary, he's helping the game by playing it and paying his subscription.

... and you should be grateful because CCP sure needs it to survive.

Originally posted by Datawarlock

EVE isn't meant for current game hoppers. It's not a hand holding festival. It takes a long time to develop and really get into the real core of the gameplay, and along the way you're going to die a lot. You're not going to solo and faceroll anything. You're not the hero of any story equal to all other players that are the hero of the same story, and if you go out to kill 10 rats, the only way you're coming back is in a body bag.

The game wasn't made for today's gamers. it's 10 years old. it took a lot of time and a lot of money and a lot of effort for your so-called gankers to even get to where they are today, and the same crap you complain about still happens to them if they're not careful. And again, for everyone that makes the claim, year after year, that EVE has to change and cater to this crowd or that crowd or it will die.... where's your MxO? Where's your SWG? How many days or weeks did you play before you quit SWTOR? GW2? ESO? EVE is still around, will still be around next year when you come to enlighten us with your message that it's dying, and will still be around the year after that too. And in that time I can almost guarantee that everyone here complaining about it will have hopped through at least 4 or 5 games in that amount of time, with each of you rallying for the fanboi flag for the first month or so before coming here to make a post on why those games are dying >.>

The game is doing bad in terms of recruiting new players. It has to be above the attrition rate or the game is in fact dying.

https://www.ccpgames.com/media/47894/ccp_hf_financial_statements_december_31_2013.pdf

I would not call $21 million loss doing fine or betting on it being around for much longer.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

ccp make too many wrong projects & spend for crap money  what EVE making

(WoD,Dust,Valkyrie,Legion) Eve is fine but ,ccp managers making mistakes

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338

The game is doing bad in terms of recruiting new players. It has to be above the attrition rate or the game is in fact dying.

https://www.ccpgames.com/media/47894/ccp_hf_financial_statements_december_31_2013.pdf

I would not call $21 million loss doing fine or betting on it being around for much longer.

Yeah, you seem to forget WoD and it's development shutdown. That's money that went straight in the hole and no reflection on the state of EVE lol.

Yeah, you seem to forget WoD and it's development shutdown. That's money that went straight in the hole and no reflection on the state of EVE lol.

I never said it reflects the state of EvE. Not to mention that financial statements have ZERO to do with the state a game is in. However one needs the other to survive, it's a kind of symbiotic relationship.

----

I see i should have clarified that this is the CCP financial report not the EvE financial report.

---

Anyway, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

• darqartdarqart Member Posts: 5

I played eve from beta days off and on till 2012 when i hung it up again. I always had two accounts running in windowed mode. One account was my soldier, the other was my industrialist.  I ended up in deep worm hole space. made a ton of isk and decided to hang it up when my  corp imploded. IMHO wormhole space is the i win button of eve.

My advice to any new player wanting to get into this game is to understand that eve is a cut throat type of game. It is not nice and shiny and fuzzy. The closest analogy i could come up with is this.  a new player just starting eve is like a kindergartner playing dodge ball versus high school age kids. you are going to get hit hard and there aint much you can do about it.

Now, you could, if you wanted, would be to buy an existing account that has the skill set you might want. That would give you some sort of better footing to get into the high end game of eve versus playing in the scum of eve section of the game , ahem, i mean high sec.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

that's the development of WOD that wa sgetting laid off.

Next time do proper research inbetween WOW raids.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Muke

that's the development of WOD that wa sgetting laid off.

Next time do proper research inbetween WOW raids.

There are raids in WoW, you must know i guess.. I never played wow, i played EvE for 8 years though.

----

So basically what you are trying to say is that if CCP has no money then it will not affect EvE. You are a smart one indeed, you must be a WoW player after all!

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Originally posted by Hejiet

I had a similar experience from a new player's POV. This is from like 3 years ago.

I tried EVE on a free trial account and liked it enough to subscribe, I even took 2 accounts so that I could mine and transport rapidly with 2 vessels.

I guess I didn't know much how to transfer stuff in space from one ship to another so what I would do is put the ore in space and grab it with my other vessel.

Then some guy came around (Mr.Pain his name was if I remember correctly) and did something to the can which made it "his" so when I took my stuff from it, he could attack me in High Sec.

He disabled my vessels (I had no fighting capabilities as I was just mining) and demanded that I give him 1mil credits which I didn't have as I had just started the game and recently bought the new mining vessel.

When he blew me up, I deleted my subs and uninstalled the game.

This is known as "can flipping".

He made a jetcan and moved your ore from your jetcan into his. Since there was nothing in your can, it disappeared. At that point, you gained kill rights on him, but he now had ownership of the ore taken from your jetcan. You then stole his ore and he gained kill rights on you.

This was changed in 2012 though, and you can now freely loot from a jetcan belonging to players you have kill rights on.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Since you've quit please post you character's ingame name for confirmation of your story.

Let's see your character's killboard.

There's no reason why you can't post it since you are no longer playing the game and it will make your story more credible for those of us that have played in high sec since 2008 and have never been ganked once.