Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

amazing concept, ruined by people being people

jadzYajadzYa Member UncommonPosts: 44

So I've played the game for 30 minutes. First on an official american server where people were doing nothing but insult eachother and accusing eachother of stealing, hacking, cheating, etc.  By far the worst community I've ever met. I've got one noob question answered in 20 minutes and that was how to disable the chat cause I could not stand it anymore.

I said fine, let's go to a community supported AU server (I'm in NZ so it made more sense), I'm sure they will be more friendly. They were. But the same issues arose on that server too. You can't progress. Is not that I'm bad at the game, I AM, I've just started it.. but you die from pretty much anything (cold, radiation, insta death if you go in water, wild animals, even pigs kill you if you insist enough... which is fine, you are supposed to strive a little), but especially from players. Camping a noob spawn area with pistols when I have a rock in my hand (I can't even throw that rock :D)? And the whole attitude is just kill kill kill before they might kill you. There is no cooperation spirit, there is no drawaback (as far as I could see) to kill someone, en contraire you can still his $hit... And when you die you lose all your progress... I died somewhere around 10 times in 30 minutes... So unless some form of protecting new players is implemented I find this game to be a either "you and your 10 friends start at once and try to make it" or go play something else.

Is like allowing max level awesome gear characters in a MMO to not only camp starting towns but encourage them to kill new players. I understand they want a game in which survival is hard, but really? And you die from 2 hits in the arm with a hatchet? How is that realistic? Survival should encourage people to group together, but the way the game is built right now it encourages people to just shoot first, steal later :D.

I will try the game again when is not alpha, but if this is how it will be I don't know how are they going to prevent human nature to completely ruin the game. So far some of the worst invested 20$ in my gaming "career".

Was I unlucky? Or is the game/community as bad as I think it is?

Intel Extreme Series Core i7 4820K
ASUS P9X79
2x G.SKILL RipjawsX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz
2x EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC SLI
Samsung 256GB 840 Pro

Comments

• CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Yes hon, it's really that bad. These types of games seem to immediately attract people with mental health issues
  • jadzYajadzYa Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by DMKano

Survival FPS PvP games tend to attract the worst attention-seeking individuals for some reason, and when you get a handful of them together - it only gets worse.

Sure, but the game mechanics usually shield the new players somehow, till they at least learn how to "walk". This and giving people enough of an incentive to group.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a long time eve online player, where the whole attitude is HTFU. But the end game gameplay encourages people to grow large communities and as such people appreciate all new bodies they can get. Even in a hostile game as eve you get universities and player driven classes and most importantly groups invite new players and teach them the ropes. You get banned for using normal game mechanics in tricking noobs to do things that allow you to shoot them, if you do it in the starting systems.

Also I could not imagine that a game with so many random servers and which is in an early alpha state could have so many people cheating and hacking... I mean really, do you need to shoot ppl through walls to steal their wood..? On a server that will be wiped in a month probably?

Really bad experience overall...

ASUS P9X79
    Samsung 256GB 840 Pro

In eve when you die you lose the $hit that you carry with you (hence the "don't fly anything you can't afford to lose" saying) and if you don't pay attention even some of the [time based] skills you gained. In eve you can get all your stuff in one station and then "permanently" lose access to the station and as such your items. I was not necessary directly comparing the games, I was just mentioning that I'm used to pvp having permanent and considerable consequences. Also eve is a game that condones scamming, ganking, griefing, spying etc So is definetly not a friendly environment. But even so it is a far more "normal" game then what I've seen in rust. At leas in eve in order to kill people they need to voluntarly (not necessary knowingly though) go in "unprotected" areas or the killers need to put some decent effort in ganking while in protected areas.

I've read more threads on the topic and someone was complaining about gathering stuff and crafting for 6 hours and then going offline for 2 hours and when he came back everything was lost and his base raided, so he needed to start it ALL OVER again. That is harsh. To the extreme harsh if you ask me (it is still a game and people do have RLs that require them to move away from the computer any now and then...), but my thoughts were.. waw, he was actually able to gather/craft for 6 hours.... I died 10 times in 30 minutes... I could barely had enough time to gather wood for a fire and I lost it before night came..  There is a difference between having an extremely adverse environment and allowing high level, high gear chars to camp starting spawn areas...

The way the game is built right now, it sounds to me like only a handful of players that somehow managed to not kill eachother in the first couple of hours after server start will enjoy it, while killing everyone else that tries to make it. And then population will drop and they will get bored and maybe kill eachother and move on to other games. Or they will need to fight against a community already established externally and they will lose or win and those remaining will get bored and kill eachother and leave... Hardly a success recipe for a game that wants to have a more than a year life spawn if you ask me.

Either way I was hoping that people will tell me I was just unlucky and sort of .. go [here].. this is a normal community that will help you enjoy the game. While everyone so far is telling me just that I was naive to even try this type of game, even as used as I am with non consensual pvp...

ASUS P9X79
    Samsung 256GB 840 Pro

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by nikoono

Survival FPS PvP games tend to attract the worst attention-seeking individuals for some reason, and when you get a handful of them together - it only gets worse.

Sure, but the game mechanics usually shield the new players somehow, till they at least learn how to "walk". This and giving people enough of an incentive to group.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a long time eve online player, where the whole attitude is HTFU. But the end game gameplay encourages people to grow large communities and as such people appreciate all new bodies they can get. Even in a hostile game as eve you get universities and player driven classes and most importantly groups invite new players and teach them the ropes. You get banned for using normal game mechanics in tricking noobs to do things that allow you to shoot them, if you do it in the starting systems.

Also I could not imagine that a game with so many random servers and which is in an early alpha state could have so many people cheating and hacking... I mean really, do you need to shoot ppl through walls to steal their wood..? On a server that will be wiped in a month probably?

Again - can't really compare EvE to "survival PvP" games.

DayZ, Rust etc.. have a history of hackers/cheaters and griefers. These games seem to be a magnet for these types of individuals.

Those individuals are the target audience.  If you read about the game, the feature set and the goals, there should be no surprise that these are the people who show up and these are the people the games have been written for.

Complaining about the way people behave in these games isn't that different from complaining that all anyone wants to do in WoW is Raid or run around in battlegrounds, or that nobody really wants to have a big PvP death match in Minecraft and just wants to build things.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    The world needs games like Rust.

It's what keeps the psychopaths at home in front of their computer as opposed to being out and about murdering people.
    Originally posted by Ludwik

It's what keeps the psychopaths at home in front of their computer as opposed to being out and about murdering people.

The only question in my mind now is how many pyschopats can you have on one server before it implodes :D

Maybe I should just try to install my own server, learn the mechanics and when I actually understand how this game is meant to be played try it on an established server. Maybe if lucky on a newly wiped one so I actually have a chance, before I need to hit someone with a rock while they shoot at me with shotguns and I die just from the smell of gun powder... But then again I will need to quit my job and stop sleeping in order to guard my "base" and preserve whatever small progress I made...

Or probably just accept my loss and go play decent games :D

ASUS P9X79
    Samsung 256GB 840 Pro

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I played this game extensively then stopped since you know it's alpha and everything gets wiped after every patch. (To not burn myself)

Here's some quick steps from the top of my head:

1 - Watch some play troughs on youtube to learn the basics or read the guides on their own forum.

2 - Alternatively experiment on low pop servers if you want to learn everything on your own. Any "recipe" you find will stay forever with that character so remember that and don't over extend by building houses, creating weapons and then complain.

3 - Once you know the basics aka craft a hatchet asap then a bow and try to find a pickaxe in the meantime, find a safe AND hidden place and start gathering wood and stone to build your first house. Try to have some view of some building or something to not forget where your house is AND never leave a campfire lit in the open next to your house if you want it to remain hidden.

4 - Once the building is complete next thing is to focus on getting metal doors, forget guns for now.

5 - Once your building is bullet proof aka only C4 can put it down start crafting gear and weapons.

6 - Have fun.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by Ludwik

The only question in my mind now is how many pyschopats can you have on one server before it implodes :D

Maybe I should just try to install my own server, learn the mechanics and when I actually understand how this game is meant to be played try it on an established server. Maybe if lucky on a newly wiped one so I actually have a chance, before I need to hit someone with a rock while they shoot at me with shotguns and I die just from the smell of gun powder... But then again I will need to quit my job and stop sleeping in order to guard my "base" and preserve whatever small progress I made...

Or probably just accept my loss and go play decent games :D

Go with this.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Try going to Twitch TV and watch any chat inside a Blizzard game it is truly pathetic.I see it in a lot of games,the chat sounds like a bunch of 12 year olds,seems we just can't escape it,immaturity is not in everyone ,for some it takes many years to learn how to act.I remember a bunch of kids praising an aimbotter in COD saying things like he is awesome because he knows how to hack a game.They were ass kissing and begging this guy for the aimbot.

My point is i would not just use the term people because i have gamed with tons of really great people,it is more about the immature people and there are tons of those as well.I am sure older people who have been around know the WHY or at least a high % reason as to why such immaturity exists but if anyone says the reasons you get people with ruffled jimmies lashing back.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Again - can't really compare EvE to "survival PvP" games.

DayZ, Rust etc.. have a history of hackers/cheaters and griefers. These games seem to be a magnet for these types of individuals.

Those individuals are the target audience.  If you read about the game, the feature set and the goals, there should be no surprise that these are the people who show up and these are the people the games have been written for.

Complaining about the way people behave in these games isn't that different from complaining that all anyone wants to do in WoW is Raid or run around in battlegrounds, or that nobody really wants to have a big PvP death match in Minecraft and just wants to build things.

You bring up a good point, well I do agree games like this bring out the crustaceans of humanity, one should probably know this going in to any free for all full loot PvP game.  And expect nothing but 247 griefing.  Anything less than that should be surprising.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Im constantly surprised at these attitudes.  I really can't blame the game.  Going in you were told the particulars of this game.  it was obviously going to cater to the mental defective group of gamers.  It took me less than a minute to give this one a pass.  Now if you play the game and then complain that is what it actually is, what should the response of other gamers be?

Pathfinder  Online is another game going this route.  So be warned. 

Originally posted by flizzer

Im constantly surprised at these attitudes.  I really can't blame the game.  Going in you were told the particulars of this game.  it was obviously going to cater to the mental defective group of gamers.  It took me less than a minute to give this one a pass.  Now if you play the game and then complain that is what it actually is, what should the response of other gamers be?

I'm really new to the genre. I did not know what to expect and probably I did not research it enough. However with all my ignorance I do believe that my point stays: you need to allow new players to get at least some basic grasp of the game and equipment before throwing them to the wolves (psychopats or not :) ). Otherwise, even if my mentality allows it and I will not be bothered by the overall attitude of the people on the server (which is REALLY unlikely for most human beings...) I still have no way to progress even to basic levels if you kill me as I spawn one shot from 100+ meters (or a couple of minutes later).

Bad design is bad design, even if people expected certain experiences.

However I appreciate your feedback and of course the advice I received. I will maybe give it another chance at later time when I know more of the game (even the fact that I need to learn the game by watching youtube, instead of actually being able to explore it underlines the bad design...)

For now I will maybe try rift till destiny comes around :)

ASUS P9X79
    Samsung 256GB 840 Pro

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

if you are looking for a game like rust with a great community purchase 7 days to die then. Majority of the community is very mature and friendly and they do have some features in game to keep people from griefing on public servers. Rust is all multiplayer but 7 days to die is single player and multiplayer so you can take the time to learn the game first then go and play on public servers. Plus 7 days has a much better crafting system and more reasons to survive as its a zombie game. 

I play ESO wildstar and have been a mmo guy for many years myself but I have over 240 hours in 7 days to die and log in every new patch as the game just keeps getting better and better though its a alpha still. 

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

You don't need to watch youtube play troughs or read any guides, they are there if you are impatient and want to go for the "fun" part as fast as possible and skip the "tutorial".

I gave you some steps on the first page, don't know if you read them or not as I specifically stated that if you want to experience it yourself you can always test on an empty or low populated server and once you are "knowledged" go on the high pop servers.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by flizzer

I'm really new to the genre. I did not know what to expect and probably I did not research it enough. However with all my ignorance I do believe that my point stays: you need to allow new players to get at least some basic grasp of the game and equipment before throwing them to the wolves (psychopats or not :) ). Otherwise, even if my mentality allows it and I will not be bothered by the overall attitude of the people on the server (which is REALLY unlikely for most human beings...) I still have no way to progress even to basic levels if you kill me as I spawn one shot from 100+ meters (or a couple of minutes later).

Bad design is bad design, even if people expected certain experiences.

However I appreciate your feedback and of course the advice I received. I will maybe give it another chance at later time when I know more of the game (even the fact that I need to learn the game by watching youtube, instead of actually being able to explore it underlines the bad design...)

For now I will maybe try rift till destiny comes around :)

To be perfectly honest, experiencing the "spawn-camping" from the get-go is probably a good thing. Nothing brings the nature of the game across as clearly as being insta-ganked. If you persist through that, the rest of the game most probably won't phase you.

But if you give up early in disgust, you've probably just saved yourself from wasting a good deal of time.