Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I left EVE -- and why you shouldn't bother with this game.

Comments

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by shiner421

This post is correct on all points.

Griefing will ruin the entire gaming industry someday, and that day is drawing close fast. I have always had nothing but disrespect and sadness at people who gankg.

Personally, id almost go so far to say that ANYONE who playus games only for pvp is a ganker, griefer, and hasnt learned yet what 'fun' truly means.

Anyone defending eve on this post is part of the gankers. I cannot prove this. I do believe this. Anyone who tries to claim that they dont play but want to defend CCP is lying and is a ganker and griefer.

eve WAS a great game. Now its a sandbox for the veteran players. They will never have anyone new players of significance again and will only be able to play against the same people they have been playing for all these years. Sooner or later the vets will get sick of it and leave, and CCP will no longer have any games that anyone wants to play. I forsee the end of CCP coming.

So..... technically anyone that's even gone so far as to play..... tennis?... would be a ganker since that's technically Player vs. Player

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

I really don't know what there is to complain about regarding EVE.

When you start playing EVE there is a 90% chance you know EXACTLY what you're getting yourself into. I think EVE is probably the greatest sandbox ever created for MMO's. I think developers should really consider trying to put this concept into a medieval setting (I know there have been minor attempts, but nothing really major.)

People are always saying how they want a full-blown sandbox, well, this is the best there is at the moment and it's brutal.

• OminousDawnOminousDawn Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Bruhza

When you start playing EVE there is a 90% chance you know EXACTLY what you're getting yourself into. I think EVE is probably the greatest sandbox ever created for MMO's. I think developers should really consider trying to put this concept into a medieval setting (I know there have been minor attempts, but nothing really major.)

People are always saying how they want a full-blown sandbox, well, this is the best there is at the moment and it's brutal.

Your post assumes it obvious that a sandbox game can not be great unless it is brutal. 

I'm sorry but that is a twisted mindset in and of itself.

The game you are looking for requiring no PvE completion and where you can just jump in and start mindlessly shooting at people is that way - >>>>

... it's called an FPS.

Quit ruining the MMORPG genre with your constant "PvE grind" whines.

Originally posted by OminousDawn
    Originally posted by Bruhza

Your post assumes it obvious that a sandbox game can not be great unless it is brutal. 

I'm sorry but that is a twisted mindset in and of itself.

[mod edit]

His post assumes nothing other than the 90% chance part. What he is saying, not assuming, is that this (EVE) is the best sandbox game there is at the moment, and that it (EVE) is brutal.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I have played Eve on and off for ten years.  It does seem to me that the growing trend in the game is no longer to build a strong corp or alliance and take over space, it now seems to gravitate to griefing.  It used to be alliance leaders whose names we knew like Cyvok, Jade, Sir Molle and Selene but now the most famous people are griefers like Erotica and James315.   We used to have gate camps and can flipping but now local in trade hubs is 99% scam offers being spammed by bots.  We bump miners away from roids for no meaningful purpose other than to ruin their gametime.  They have people who hunt down mission runners and the growing trend of AWOXers and corp thieves makes me weep for the human race. 

I think Eve is one of the greatest games ever made but I think CCP is taking the marketing slogan of "Be the Villain" to literally, allowing the game to degenerate into chaos.  I don't think people should be completely safe in the game, even in highsec but currently, I am much safer in null.  New players coming into the game don't stand much of a chance unless they get with a null alliance fairly quickly.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Paske

Think of EVE as Darwin simulator.

The strong and cunning survive and thrive. They survive and thrive on meak and sickly, like OP.

Well that's a wonderful way to think of new players to this wonderful game so many insist is the mecca of "true MMO gaming". Call them "meek" and "sickly". Could you maybe lay on the condescension a bit thicker next time?

Yeah... shame on them for being new, inexperienced and incapable of defending themselves against people with more experience than them! How dare they complain about being the unwilling entertainment of someone looking for cheap/easy thrills (or targeting the only people they know they have a chance against)! Any abuse they get in their first days of play is their own fault! That's what they get for being "meek and sickly" new players! They got what they deserved!

Yeah... Great attitude. Way to represent there, man.

Attitudes like that do more to underscore posts like the OP's, and others, than they do to undermine it.

As for those saying CCP should ignore new players and only cater to their older, "veteran" players... Yeah... again... great attitude. Great way to help build and maintain a thriving game community.

/facepalm

lol... if only you people could "hear" how insanely detached you sound, in your bubbles of self-aggrandizing and "elitism". Throwing your egos around on a message forum and/or in-game, while promoting the dismissal of, and preying on, of new players to a game you claim to love so much.

With the condescending, elitist and self-serving attitudes on display in this thread, you don't even have to log into the game. You're getting a perfect picture of everything wrong with Eve's "awesome community"  right here.

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394

This so called CODE group is compromised of cowards and their chickenshit of a leader which are in a NPC Corp because they know they would get their asses kicked in a heartbeat if they had a corp.

This is the lowest form of bottom feeding scum as they hide behind game mechanics that make them pretty much invulnerable while they can harass other players without repercussion.

----

If this so called open pvp sandbox really was open and scum like CODE could not hide then we would have a REAL open pvp sandbox. What we have here is just a playground for assholes and cowards.

----

It's a game full of sociopaths, bottom feeders and mentally ill with a god complex. Slowly turning on themselves out of sheer boredom because the game at it's core is rotten as is the player base.

Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by Paske

Think of EVE as Darwin simulator.

The strong and cunning survive and thrive. They survive and thrive on meak and sickly, like OP.

Well that's a wonderful way to think of new players to this wonderful game so many insist is the mecca of "true MMO gaming". Call them "meek" and "sickly". Yeah... shame on them for being new, inexperienced and incapable of defending themselves against people with more experience than them! How dare they complain about being the unwilling entertainment of someone who's incapable of handling anyone more skilled than a brand-new new player! Any abuse they get in their first days of play is their own fault! That's what they get for being "meek and sickly" new players! They got what they deserved!

Yeah... Great attitude. Way to represent there, man.

With an attitude like that, it's little wonder more people aren't sticking around.

As for those saying CCP should ignore new players and only cater to their older, "veteran" players... Yeah... again... great attitude. Great way to help build and maintain a thriving game community.

lol... if only you people could "hear" how insanely detached you sound. Throwing your egos around on a message forum and/or in-game, while promoting the dismissal of, and preying on, of new players to a game you claim to love so much.

With the condescending, elitist and self-serving attitudes on display in this thread, you don't even have to log into the game. You're getting a perfect picture of everything wrong with Eve right here.

Way to go Spartacus.

You've just fully made your point by sounding completely "condescending, elitist and self-serving".

So far we've got what.... 12-13 pages of pro-eve players being called many names, almost exclusively by people that fit the descriptions of what they're trying to paint EVE players as.

Let's move on. If you don't like EVE, don't play. I mean it. PLEASE, don't play. We don't want you to ruin our game with your high and mighty rebellions to try to bring a great game down to your level.

Originally posted by Datawarlock

Way to go Spartacus.

You've just fully made your point by sounding completely "condescending, elitist and self-serving".

So far we've got what.... 12-13 pages of pro-eve players being called many names, almost exclusively by people that fit the descriptions of what they're trying to paint EVE players as.

Let's move on. If you don't like EVE, don't play. I mean it. PLEASE, don't play. We don't want you to ruin our game with your high and mighty rebellions to try to bring a great game down to your level.

If you didn't notice, I was responding to one person in particular, while referencing other posts.

As for "trying to drag the game down to my level"... Nice strawman attempt. Predictable, but decent effort.

I'm not even talking about Eve the game. I think Eve the game is great.

If you actually bothered to read and comprehend my post - instead of skimming and just making up whatever conclusion best suited your desired response... you'd realize I'm talking about the condescending and obnoxious behavior and attitudes of people who play it, as demonstrated in this thread (and others). Deliberate emphasis on 'people' here.

The two are not the same.

But, what level exactly would I be dragging anything down to anyway? That of someone not compelled to act like a douchebag to new players in a game, nor defend and glorify such behavior by others when it's called out?

You and I must have a very different idea of what "dragging down" means, because in my experience, not being a douchebag to new/inexperienced players is usually preferable to preying on them "because they're easy targets". Though I suppose that's not so in Eve. 'cause, you know... elitist chest-pounding and all that. Gotta put those "meek and sickly" new players in their place after all, so all your friends can see how "elite" you are.

But, you know.. keep defending that kind of attitude and behavior. You're doing a wonderful service by demonstrating that someone looking for a game with a decent, level-headed community should stay far away from Eve.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    The amount of hate (from non players) this game brings never cease to amaze me. What's your problem guys? Do you want EVE to be something different? Do you really need to be able to like this game so bad? Just go play something you enjoy, we sure as hell won't miss you.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

Originally posted by Datawarlock

Way to go Spartacus.

If you didn't notice, I was responding to one person in particular, while referencing other posts.

As for "trying to drag the game down to my level"... Nice strawman attempt. Predictable, but decent effort.

I'm not even talking about Eve the game. I think Eve the game is great.

If you actually bothered to read and comprehend my post - instead of skimming and just making up whatever conclusion best suited your desired response... you'd realize I'm talking about the condescending and obnoxious behavior and attitudes of people who play it, as demonstrated in this thread (and others). Deliberate emphasis on 'people' here.

The two are not the same.

But, what level exactly would I be dragging anything down to anyway? That of someone not compelled to act like a douchebag to new players in a game, nor defend and glorify such behavior by others when it's called out?

You and I must have a very different idea of what "dragging down" means, because in my experience, not being a douchebag to new/inexperienced players is usually preferable to being one. Though I suppose that's not so in Eve. 'cause, you know... elitist chest-pounding and all that. Gotta put those "meek and sickly" new players in their place after all.

There was nothing wrong with his post to even respond to. What he said is how the world today still works, whoever has power will use it to continuously try to bolster that power, usually by preying on the meek, or shoving an army in their face.

As for my post, the first 2 parts of the post were in response to you, the other 2 parts were aimed at this whole entire thread in general. If you'd read every post from the beginning, you'd actually realize that "'m talking about the condescending and obnoxious behavior and attitudes of people who play it, as demonstrated in this thread (and others).is actually a direct fit for the people rallying against EVE, whereas the majority of pro-EVE people have been more than civil 95% of the time, with the usual exception here and there. (You can include me in the exceptions if you'd like, doesn't rain on my real life lol)

Originally posted by Krematory
    The amount of hate (from non players) this game brings never cease to amaze me. What's your problem guys? Do you want EVE to be something different? Do you really need to be able to like this game so bad? Just go play something you enjoy, we sure as hell won't miss you.

And another person who can't seem to tell the difference between criticism of a game and the overall attitude of its players.

And again.. Just keep telling people not to play...

I'm sure CCP appreciates all the effort you people consistently put into shooing away new subscribers, demonstrating just how serious and hardcore the Eve community is and just how unwelcome they are in "your game".

Again, maybe it's just me and some crazy way I have of thinking.. But when I really love a game and would like to see it continue to thrive and grow... the last thing do is chase off new players or actively tell them not to play. But I get it. Gotta keep flexing that elitism and showing how "hardcore" you are.. 'cause that's the "Eve Way".

And another person who can't seem to tell the difference between criticism of a game and the overall attitude of its players.

I'm sure CCP appreciates all the effort you people consistently put into shooing away new subscribers, demonstrating just how serious and hardcore the Eve community is and just how unwelcome they are in "your game".

Again, maybe it's just me and some crazy way I have of thinking.. But when I really love a game and would like to see it continue to thrive and grow... the last thing do is chase off new players or actively tell them not to play. But I get it. Gotta keep flexing that elitism and showing how "hardcore" you are.. 'cause that's the "Eve Way".

Umm,

If you really loved EVE, you wouldn't be here trashing all of it's players. Thus we go right back to you and your elitist way of thinking, and the circle will continue back and forth endlessly, except I'm gonna go down to the track and race for a few hours and let you argue with yourself for awhile =)

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

Most people shitstorming here aren't even players, or even potential players. Hell, I'm not even a hardcore player. But EVE is not for everyone, and that's a fact. Take it for what it is or leave it, because there's no point into turning this game into something it was never intended to be.

And just for the record, I don't play EVE for ganking, or exploiting new players. I'd love to see it grow with new players with the right mindset. But most of the people speaking here are just either clueless about the game or/and full of hate towards a community they don't even understand.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Kangaroomouse
    It's a game full of sociopaths, bottom feeders and mentally ill with a god complex. Slowly turning on themselves out of sheer boredom because the game at it's core is rotten as is the player base.

Your Opinion is a little short on accuracy.

And by 'a little' I actually mean "a metric fuckton"

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Sybnal

The OP's post is why EVE is such a cool game.  I mean what kind of universe has safe zones? What kind of adventure can you have without danger?  What kind of story doesn't have villains? Granted EVE is mostly full of them. But that makes the danger even more palpable. 

I played for about as long as the OP (other games called have called me away for now but I know I'll be back someday) I actually worked at running missions, playing the markets a bit with my paltry 50 million ISK that a friend gave me and took super cheap explorers out into null (no cloaking device, no warp stabs, no guns, no clue) and hauling.  Over the course of the summer of casual play I managed to get about 900mil saved up. Got killed a few times with a full cargo coming back from null, but they were learning experiences and I didn't count any of the loot mine until I made it back to the station anyway.

Then one day, I took a stupid risk based on bad information. I was under the impression that if you put your cargo in containers, it couldn't be scanned (stupid I know).  So I found a particularly nice deal on some T3 mods in Jita and loaded up my freighter and started my 400th run to Aamar.  Halfway there, BOOM, instagibbed at a gate.  650mil turned into spacedust and kill mail gloating. A paltry sum I know, but at the time, that was a fortune to me.

My point is, I FELT that shit.  No game before or since could invest me emotionally like that. I actually wanted real revenge..lol.  I didn't bitch or moan or run to the forums crying like a little girl though.  I found out what my mistakes were, vowed to never repeat them, and made the money back in a couple weeks.  Eventually, I found a small merc corp that agreed to grief the suicide ganking prick and his partner at their gate camps. @#$% him.

I guess my point is, it's a big dangerous universe out there, if you aren't smart enough, willing to do your research or don't have the intestinal fortitude to overcome adversity. Just stay the @#$% home. Space isn't for you. The people who love EVE wouldn't have it any other way.

thats why i love EVE, and thats why atm i dont wanna log in, i will loose my reaal life :S

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    This is role play, as in mmoRPG. Role play in a social sandbox. I cannot consider this griefing. Form an alliance and kick them out.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Omen6Omen6 Member Posts: 7

I feel for you OP, definitely sounds like you've had a rough time.  I believe this is just how the game is though, and that is both the beauty of it and the pain you've experienced.  Consequently, there's no reason a band of players couldn't form and go after said corp, or griefer even. You really can do anything, to include plotting an elaborate revenge. 

Now as to the fact that you can never truly be safe....I dunno - guess you have to accept it...or find better friends....or just don't play like myself :P

• redthoughtredthought Member Posts: 10

I have been playing EVE since early 09, and in my opinion is the Only MMO out there.   It is also easily my favorite mmo and unfortunately i dont see anything in the future that can even compete.  I have spent a bit of time doing combat oriented pve but spent most of my time pvping or in search of pvp.  That out of the way i have to agree with OP.  It seems like it would be so hard for a new player today to join the game and have fun, and this really worries me as eve is my favorite game.  How can my favorite game keep going if it chases away new players.  

When I first started playing eve, in early 09, I was a market trader.  I worried about ganking as i had heard there were pirates out there who would suicide gank people with too much cash in their cargo, so i limited myself to 500 mil (700 mill buys 30 days of game time) or less in my cargo hold.   I choose this number based on what i saw in game and what others were getting killed with when they were ganked for their cargo.   This info is easily available in the various eve kill boards.  I found all of this fascinating and easily avoidable, and it was.   After this initial dabble in trading, 2 months, i made an alternate char to trade for me while my main went out to nullsec to have a more challenging pvp experience.  This char was on the same account and only had 2 weeks of skill points spent on it.  I did miss alot of the new player experiance going that route as it was rather safe.

Fast forward to  today.....     I still play and love EVE.  I am in a worm hole corp now.  I personally pve little and when i do i dont take a cut. Corp members that do pve routinely are ganked for under 100 mil now.  Success rate for someone in corp transporting 500 mil like i used to in a ship similar to what i used to run in, mammoth a cheap easily killed ship, more than 15 jumps is about 15%  depending on route.    Granted i never made the trip through from amarr to jita or from jita to rens where the choke points are in those routes.  I went from the citidel region to jita.   This changed at some time and i think i can pinpoint when, but first my second point as to why i believe it is hard for new players.

Hi Sec wars........   Lol I have tried on the eve forums to point out what these stupid wars do to new players but have always been laughed down as a noob.   A new player starts playing eve.....    he thinks to himself, this is a cool game and im hooked.   2 weeks later after not enough research he chooses a corp that he thinks he can have fun in, and he does for a week.   In that week hes making in game cash, working on his skill points and has most  likely upgraded his ship or moduals on his ship a few times.   Next this new player hears stories of the various nullsec alliances and wormhole corps as well as a few very elite lowsec pirates and starts to have dreams of the future for himself that involve years of work.....  Then monday comes around.....  Highsec wardec corps are choosing new targets and this ambitious new players alliance or corp has just been choosen.   For the next week our ambitious new player can expect to spin his ship in port or die repeatedly...... Yes yes he and his alliance can fight back...... that is the argument. however if they could fight back then they wouldnt be in highsec in the first place and their alliance would consist of vet members of age 1 year or more.  Yes you can kick ass as a noob, however 1-6 years + experiance is very hard to overcome not to mention the skill point advantage, as well as further depth like fleet boosts.   There are players who rise to this challenge very quickly but they are few and far between and mainly live in corps such as Hydra, PL and R&K as well as a few others who are smaller.  

When i first joined game all of these "challenges"  seemed cool and surmountable as there were not the norm but still something very real that you had to worry about.   Since then CCP has kicked off their "Be the Villain" campaign, and EVE has seemed to have changed for the worse.   None of this really effects me except the fact that if ccp cant keep recruiting new players my favorite game and the only real mmo out there  then EVE will soon be gone as surely as "World of Darkness" is dust and "Dust" will soon be dust.

Originally posted by bcbully
    This is role play, as in mmoRPG. Role play in a social sandbox. I cannot consider this griefing. Form an alliance and kick them out.

Hillarious;  bcbully i challenge you to make an alliance and go stomp on one of the wardecer alliances, doesn't matter which one, just one of them.  Unless you are in one of those alliances and talking out of your &*%.

Though not in the top 10% of players myself i have flown with Podla and have personally seen the pointlessness of resistance........  Yes, if you have the ability of Alexander the Great you can stomp the piss out of Goons in your first month in game.......   If your not you better follow one of a few paths to having fun or get %^&#$

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Most people realize its more fun to join them rather than fight against them ;)

Originally posted by Calfis

Most people realize its more fun to join them rather than fight against them ;)

Ha an s2n guy.....  I like s2n and their ability to function as a pvp group in nullsec...... Their style is what I love about eve.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

poor baby.

if you don't like pvp don't play games with pvp in them, simple as that. don't like being griefed? stay locked inside a white room the rest of your life.

Originally posted by evilized

poor baby.

if you don't like pvp don't play games with pvp in them, simple as that. don't like being griefed? stay locked inside a white room the rest of your life.

Care to show your killboard?  Always happy to meet one of the greats.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

I have said it before and will say it again, the problem with Eve is that there is only consequences for the losing party, Eve would work great if there was a community spirit present in the game, but there is not.   

There is no consequence for being the aggressor in these actions, if it was purely kept in game that would be better, but I like Eve, do you know why, because it hoovers up all the toxic elements of MMO players and gives them a playground.

Im sure there are not only toxic players playing Eve, but to do well you seem to have to be one.

I hope Eve continues to do well, because there needs to be games for all kinds of players.