Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I left EVE -- and why you shouldn't bother with this game.

Comments

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Asamof

99% of the other MMO devs took the wimpy safe route of just copying WoW. why would you want one of the few games that has the balls to do otherwise bow down to pressure from carebears and become like the rest? The game clearly isn't for you...there's a TON of other choices out there, pick one.

There is little to fault in EVE once you get to 3-4 million SP assuming it's your kind of game but up to that point it can be a pretty rough road made a lot more difficult by a small number of predatory players who's preferred targets are people that really have no chance of fighting back.  The real question CCP and the EVE community at large should be asking themselves is, How hard and frustrating do we want to make getting to that point where you can survive the harsher parts of the game?

I promise you every month some number of people cancel their subscription to EVE with a percentage of those never coming back.  Making a game so difficult to survive the first part so that only a handful makes it to the point where they are more than fodder seems very self defeating in the long run to me.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Since only Eve allows for direct griefing and real life abuse its valid to raise concerns about CCP's motivations for allowing such behavior  (not talking about pvp ganking here, that's different). It may be a rising minority but for any other MMO including Sandbox PVP abusive conduct would not be tolerated and certainly not applauded or defended.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ashe59ashe59 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Since only Eve allows for direct griefing and real life abuse its valid to raise concerns about CCP's motivations for allowing such behavior  (not talking about pvp ganking here, that's different). It may be a rising minority but for any other MMO including Sandbox PVP abusive conduct would not be tolerated and certainly not applauded or defended.

This is the reason my 3 accounts are now canceled (after 8 years of service) , my children are now 10 and 12 years old . They decided they wanted to try the game out to play so i made them each an account . The first day in the game they started getting harassed by some tool in high sec trying to scam them , he persisted for about a week then started sending them ingame mails threatening their lives IRL . At that point i decided CCP doesnt deserve my money for sheltering and protecting these degenerates.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

I love EVE.

250k less jerks to play the games I do like.

So someone like me who spent 7 years in EVE, was even a member of goonwaffe, never did any pvp other than being blown up twice, never scammed anyone, and spent most of my time as an industrialist who built things to sell in null sec, am by default a jerk because I played EVE?  

So if I'm a jerk for playing EVE, then what is someone who will call people they don't know a jerk for playing a game?  

BTW, members of goonwaffe are in every MMO out there.  

And I know it's hard to believe, but people who play EVE also play other games.  You should probably stop playing MMO's, I mean you don't want to play with one of us jerks, right? 

na, not because you played eve, because you played with goon squad :)

seriously, dont make it that easy.... please.

shit is also world wide. doesn't mean it's a high quality good tho, does it?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    And this is exactly why I avoid PvP games. In my experience it brings out the worst in people. In PvE games players work together to accomplish a mission. 
  • CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by udon
     Making a game so difficult to survive the first part so that only a handful makes it to the point where they are more than fodder seems very self defeating in the long run to me.

More games should have Darwinism as a feature. If they make it past the "rough" patch thats how alliances and corps know they are worth recruiting. You wanna know that a guy can "Harden the F*uck up" thats the kind of people you want to fly with.

Originally posted by ashe59

This is the reason my 3 accounts are now canceled (after 8 years of service) , my children are now 10 and 12 years old . They decided they wanted to try the game out to play so i made them each an account . The first day in the game they started getting harassed by some tool in high sec trying to scam them , he persisted for about a week then started sending them ingame mails threatening their lives IRL . At that point i decided CCP doesnt deserve my money for sheltering and protecting these degenerates.

Why would you let your kids play a game where the average player is in their mid-20s? Would you let your kids play Grand Theft Auto 5?

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by avalon1000
    And this is exactly why I avoid PvP games. In my experience it brings out the worst in people. In PvE games players work together to accomplish a mission. 

What a randomly generated crapy reason to frown upon PvP players.

In PvP players cooperate just as much if not even more, except  there are real people on the other side instead of NPC scripted events.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Over the last decade, I've found infinitely more cooperation in PvP than PvE.  The competitiveness can get a bit absurd but everything has it's pros and cons.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
    Originally posted by Calfis

Why would you let your kids play a game where the average player is in their mid-20s? Would you let your kids play Grand Theft Auto 5?

....Because im not an overbearing tyrant , and i let my children experience the world for themselves ,and not how others say they should ?  (within reason , i wouldnt let them play in traffic or anything obviously)

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Asamof

99% of the other MMO devs took the wimpy safe route of just copying WoW. why would you want one of the few games that has the balls to do otherwise bow down to pressure from carebears and become like the rest? The game clearly isn't for you...there's a TON of other choices out there, pick one.

Well, EVE did launch before WoW so they could hardly copy it.

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311
    They could easily copy it. SWG released before wow, and then fucked their whole game by trying to copy it with NGE.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

....Because im not an overbearing tyrant , and i let my children experience the world for themselves ,and not how others say they should ?  (within reason , i wouldnt let them play in traffic or anything obviously)

So in a game where words like "F*uck" and "Faggot" are thrown around in local chat, you were surprised they were being harassed? Somehow people playing are supposed to know that in a game where almost all the players are adults, they might be dealing with children because there are awesome dads out there?

I play EVE to get away from the CoD kids, when I deal with people in EVE, I assume they are mature adults that can handle any situation like a mature adult.

You don't see a issue with the highlighted things being in conflict with each other?

I don't know about where you come from but where I grew up "Mature" adults didn't need to use profanity like that to convey ideas.  Cursing is something you save for special occasions to convey certain emotions instead of something you throw around in general conversation. 

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Originally posted by joosii

1 -- The problem CCP refuses to deal with is that games need to evolve, and stubbornly hanging on to old ways of managing the game is killing it.  The "open sandbox" view may have once worked when the playing field was more leveled and the diversity of players was greater. But just as they "had hoped", the game has evolved by player participation. Unfortunately it has gone awry in a horrible way.  The bullies who have fun griefing players are staying, and the new gamers (to EVE, or even just to the world of gaming) give EVE a matter of a few months (even if that) before they leave in disgust at the cruelty and anti-social behavior displayed in front of their faces day after day.

2 - What is ironic is that it is clear CCP is panicking over a shrinking player base. Look at the promotions. In addition to the extension of the 14-day trial to 21 days if you sign up through a buddy (thinking that a friend will help them through the game), there are rewards for those who bring back reactivated accounts, and a 6-month promotion for players who create a second account (the idea of double clienting was only recently approved by CCP-- no surprised there why they did that). They have initiatives having a GM personally contact every new player within the first day or two -- a real live responding GM. Talk about dedicating resources to trying to keep new players interested -- personal contact is expensive. I know. I worked for a big company at the highest level. There are workshops they offer to new players. There are links galore to places where new players can get information on how to get used to the game.

3 - The newest griefing trend is this ridiculous Alliance called CODE who is trying to take over high sec by ganking defenseless miners and forcing them into some sick kind of ideology where they are forced to not only comply to an individual's style of gameplay, but they are actually "commanded" not to complain when they get their ship blown up, looted, and then podded. If you want to take a look at some of the most twisted degenerate kinds of people who are enjoying EVE right now, go take a look at their website. minerbumping.com. (I'm sure they will love the press here). Calling players cancer and degenerates in public is not cool -- nor is it appropriate in any setting, including gaming. And since high sec is the home to EVERY new player in EVE, every single one (and I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE) will come into contact with this alliance within the first month or two. This alliance is literally holding "fun" as hostage and trying to force players to only play the kind of EVE game that gives them fun. The message: "play EVE how we want or get the hell out of the game." They claim they are making the game better, but in real fact, they are destroying the game -- and CCP is letting them do it.

4 - If you want to make a program to see how fast you can get rid of new players in the game, this is EXACTLY HOW TO DO IT. The young players of EVE have no chance to even enjoy the game because they are bumped up again these bullies (no pun intended) and told "you are not welcome here unless you do things our way." Really CCP? You want to relinquish that kind of control? Because you are basically letting the game dig its own grave. When unsupervised, this is where the human mind degrades into. Or do you not study the history of the world AT ALL?

Ok I will answer the above posts as a 9 year eve vet and multi account holder

1 - The sandbox that eve has given us players to develop has developed as it has, if you dont want or like the idea of a sandbox then dont cry when someone comes and kicks sand in your face, there are 1000s of themeparks for you to play with, The whole point of sandbox is the game develops as the game develops, be it good or bad. This is pure nature of sandbox. Having CCP change things to allow more carebearing or other aspects of the game removes the big thing that makes eve, eve.

2 - What a complete load of crap - Eve has over the last 10 years grown YEAR ON YEAR and still growing, the simple fact is buddy invites have been around for as long as i have been playing, hell look in this exact forum and see the age of hte buddy invite post too see how 'panicking they are' , multiboxing HAS ALWAYS been a valid part of eve, hell people complain that eve allows multibox, in fact in about 2009 i was running 11 accounts all from the same email so no this isn't new. The GMs talking to new players isn't a new thing either, 3 years ago i did some voluntary work in eve and part of that job was convoing new players from the new player chat to offer a personal advice etc about the game, EvE & CCP hsould be applauded as very few other games, and certainly NO AAA game does this for new players.

3 - CODE are just a fad, eve has had many alliances try and with varying degrees of short term success to control the masses BOB / Goons / YULAI Federation  just to name 3 of the bigger alliances, Fact is i log in daily for 4 hours or more on 3 accounts and i have NEVER come across code, so please if you dont like wht they do move to an area where they are not, feck there are about  3000 systems in eve, if you dont like playground bullies then move to another playground, or even better stand up to them, EVE IS A PVP GAME

4 - Crap, again see point 1 year on year eve grows, their player base is diverse, just sit in the n00b player channel and see how many have never played, this game might not be growing like some people think, but fact is show me  A SINGLE MMO that has grown year on year for 10+ years, not even the almighty WoW can claim that one.

I would like to point out from all this, I am a carebear i do nothing but produce goods, It has been over 6months sicne i fired a shot in anger in either pve or pvp I run mult corps focussed on profit and yes i play in a VERY smal group

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

So in a game where words like "F*uck" and "Faggot" are thrown around in local chat, you were surprised they were being harassed? Somehow people playing are supposed to know that in a game where almost all the players are adults, they might be dealing with children because there are awesome dads out there?

I play EVE to get away from the CoD kids, when I deal with people in EVE, I assume they are mature adults that can handle any situation like a mature adult.

So your justifying real life death threats because of a person's age ?  

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Don't play EVE. I would rather have a 20 GB video of crap, and I mean it, sitting on my computer drive than EVE. Cause even a video of crap is way better than EVE. Do as I do and ignore everyone who tries to argue that EVE is awesome. Just don't read their posts. You're right. EVE is a horrible game. I would rather play Hello Kitty Online. Any MMO/game is beter than EVE.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    There are plenty of great child-proof MMOs out there. EVE is what it is and that is what makes it great and so different from anything else out there. If you want security in EVE, there are options. I understand that the game is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is certainly made greater by its uniqueness.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Pretty sure this is just a symptom of a much larger issue.

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• shiner421shiner421 Member Posts: 70

This post is correct on all points.

Griefing will ruin the entire gaming industry someday, and that day is drawing close fast. I have always had nothing but disrespect and sadness at people who gankg.

Personally, id almost go so far to say that ANYONE who playus games only for pvp is a ganker, griefer, and hasnt learned yet what 'fun' truly means.

Anyone defending eve on this post is part of the gankers. I cannot prove this. I do believe this. Anyone who tries to claim that they dont play but want to defend CCP is lying and is a ganker and griefer.

eve WAS a great game. Now its a sandbox for the veteran players. They will never have anyone new players of significance again and will only be able to play against the same people they have been playing for all these years. Sooner or later the vets will get sick of it and leave, and CCP will no longer have any games that anyone wants to play. I forsee the end of CCP coming.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Soandsoso

I went to Aufay and watched Code in action.

They hide and spam "Code always wins" in local chat.

When they finally get a target they rush out in their cheap desi's, get podded, and go back into hiding and spamming local chat.

I am guessing they are on another account doing other stuff while they wait.

Isn't there still some Sec status penalty for ganking in hi sec, seems like you'd get to -10 pretty quickly and have a difficult time manuevering through gates and what not.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Soandsoso

I went to Aufay and watched Code in action.

They hide and spam "Code always wins" in local chat.

When they finally get a target they rush out in their cheap desi's, get podded, and go back into hiding and spamming local chat.

I am guessing they are on another account doing other stuff while they wait.

Isn't there still some Sec status penalty for ganking in hi sec, seems like you'd get to -10 pretty quickly and have a difficult time manuevering through gates and what not.

They move in pods so the cops leave em alone, alts can move the ship into the system with em or they might already have ships on hand in their target system.

• SzqqqSzqqq Member UncommonPosts: 38

You guys are really overreacting. CCP ban or suspend players for offensive language and things like IRL threats.

Be reasonable. EvE is a real and only one (Darkfall too maybe) mmo where simulation of a real world where laissez fair capitalism and darwinian survival of the fittest rule. 

There are safe zones with Concord police in hisec. The Police can punish the offender if crime takes place. Thats it. You cant punish intent in a computer game.

OP said he got killed twice the same way... well "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice..."

There are means to defend yourself, actively or pasively. Some are just ignorant and dont bother to get any knowledge.

I played EvE for years in an active non blobbing pvp corporation. Got killed many times over and over but learned a lot. Its a game where you have to think more than click and piloting is not 'hit orbit' button. I even managed to be a successful solo pilot.

My last point is why are you guys so scared of leaving hisec. Its all virtual. There is a lot to lose when you pvp but the emotions and pleasures of taking risks are nowhere to be found in games other than sandbox pvp mmos. Eve is a rare gem and eventhough you may be some guy who just likes to kill npcs, please understand this rare breed of a game and 'go back to *** '

if you cry and write almost an article in size when losing a mining ship ;)

So your justifying real life death threats because of a person's age ?  

No, I'm saying you put your kids in a game known for the kind of behavior it has in the community and somehow we are to expect that what happened surprises you. You share some responsibility for what your kids experienced in EVE because you put them there knowingly. Hiding behind "oh I was trying to be a cool dad" doesn't mean you were not being irresponsible. The asshats harassing your kids are just being asshats to everyone they come across they saw no reason to treat these two random characters any differently than how they treated all the random characters they came across.

This isn't one of those games where people check themselves every time they talk to someone because OH God they might be a child. Simply put children should not be playing EVE, I play EVE, I wouldn't let my kid play EVE until he was at least 17 so he can handle himself.

Yes i do bear responsibility for putting my children in that situation ( though i personally in 8 years of time in EvE never got threats against my life in game) and i took the action that was required, i removed them from the situation .

That said i would be the worst kind of human being if i continued to give funding to a corporation of any kind that condones that behavior , over the coarse of my EvE playtime I've witnessed the game get more and more toxic . I would say that at this point in time the community is almost on par with the ignorance you find in League of Legends.

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Anyone else actually read everything beginning at page 1 and notice the people that are against EVE and accusing it's player base of being lowly sociopaths and scum have been more unintelligent and abusive than the people that play or have played EVE and enjoyed it? I'm starting to think Pfizer is going to advertise a pill soon for people that can't handle life because they don't like EVE >.>
  • DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338

In what current MMO does anyone actually have to work together to do anything? I've tried many, and soloed them all.