Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphical upgrade?

steusssteuss Member UncommonPosts: 130

How would everyone feel if they could upgrade the zones, character models, everything to EQ2 levels?

If there was an option to make eq1 as graphically amazing as eq2 then i think it would be one of the best games around.

Comments

• tigris67tigris67 Member UncommonPosts: 1,762

YUCK! no no no no no!

Hi! My name is paper. Nerf scissors, rock is fine.
    MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls
    http://www.MichaelLuckhardt.com

you want EQ 2...go play "EQ 2"thats why its there......

• SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711

Originally posted by tigris67
    YUCK! no no no no no!

I think that would be a great idea.

One of the reasons i quit EQ1 was because of how you lagged when you went near 10 other people (which i assume would be fixed once they upgrade to the EQ2 engine) and that some things were just aweful looking.

Can you elaborate more on why you wouldn't like that?

One bad thing i can think of though, is how many people play EQ1 because their computer can't handle EQ2

• ChibersChibers Member Posts: 10

Another reason is that some people don't like the EQ2 player models, especially the newer ones. I still think the classic ogre is more fun than the Luclin ogres or the EQ2 ones.

I'd be all for a graphical overhaul or an option for it, much like Nek and Lavastorm(And soon Freeport and some other zones like PoSky) but like some have said, not everyone may be able to run at those settings if they forced it like Lavastorm and the inability to turn off new goblins/spiders/rats/etc.

I played EQ1 for 4 1/2 years. Tried EQ2 for 2 months. I hated how playdoughy the characters looked, walked etc. I would not want to see them added to the origonal EQ game because frankly it would just ruin it for me. Now if it was a "Toggled" option that would be ok because i just wouldn't toggle it on.

• steusssteuss Member UncommonPosts: 130

I think i would be most excited about the landscape and the character animations. I agree that some of the character models look... cheap and poorly done. Basically if they could take the graphics engine and place it here i would be TOTALLY excited.

I imagine that the best way to update it would be through some sort of expansion that you would pay for, and then if you didn't have it you wouldn't see it... though i can't imagine why anyone wouldn't like a prettier surrounding...

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Umm... That's more or less what they are doing, one or two zones at a time. I certainly hope that they don't switch to the EQ2 engine, on behalf of all us folks limited in our choices by what will run on the machines we have. The graphical updates in Lavastorm and Nektulos were quite nice. (The content changes in Nektulos were a little questionable, but probably based on the assumption that NOONE uses newbie zones these days.) The next expansion will bring a new Freeport, and I do believe I saw screenshots of a new Oasis as well.

(Standard Disclaimer: Before some dork comes along and says, "Get a job," I've got one, plus going to school full-time. I have to prioritize my spending and upgrading my computer AGAIN to play more games is pretty low on my list of what to spend money on. I don't need those upgrades for any other reason, and making it easier to play games is a silly reason for me to spend money on that instead of other things like dinner out with my husband or buying new carpet. Get a job? Why don't you get a life?)

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

Hey neschria, could you make your signature a different color maybe? It kind of blends in with your posts.

Is this better?

Darn accidental double posting! Grah!

• steusssteuss Member UncommonPosts: 130

Hey tigris67 could you change your signiture? it blends in with the background. Dark blue and black don't go well together at ALL.

Originally posted by steuss
    Hey tigris67 could you change your signiture? it blends in with the background. Dark blue and black don't go well together at ALL.

I thought "(Standard Disclaimer: Before some dork comes along and says, "Get a job," I've got one, plus going to school full-time. I have to prioritize my spending and upgrading my computer AGAIN to play more games is pretty low on my list of what to spend money on. I don't need those upgrades for any other reason, and making it easier to play games is a silly reason for me to spend money on that instead of other things like dinner out with my husband or buying new carpet. Get a job? Why don't you get a life?)"

was her qoute and kept mistaking it for more text he/she wrote...geesh sorry.

It's ok. My sig got a graphical upgrade out of it. :)

How did you get that small gif in your siggy? I couldn't figure out how to do that.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by tigris67

I played EQ1 for 4 1/2 years. Tried EQ2 for 2 months. I hated how playdoughy the characters looked, walked etc. I would not want to see them added to the origonal EQ game because frankly it would just ruin it for me. Now if it was a "Toggled" option that would be ok because i just wouldn't toggle it on.

Yeah the playdough look really got to me too, however one month into playing EQ2 there was a graphical update and now all the humanoids have anime styled looks. If you havent played since the update you should check it out, awesome graphics in EQ2 now. Also there is a "toggle" option for each gender and racial combination - meaning if you prefered the way one of them looked before the update you can change back to it (ogres for example i think looked better before the update... they look more like klingons now lol).
  • porgieporgie Member Posts: 1,516
    I think it's a good idea.  But I have a feeling I would find myself switching back and forth from the old and new graphics.  Sometimes I sorta dig the cheezy EQ1 graphics.  It's nostalgic.

-----------------------
    </OBAMA>