Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Filter the Spam please!

KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394

You got to be kidding me:

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

They've figured out what hours are least likely to have a mod on deck, and target accordingly.

What I wonder is if anyone actually goes to one of these sites, especially after their favorite forum is blown up by spam like this?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Yeah pain in my ass. Need to ban tool accounts like this making that garbage.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    It puzzles me why would anyone target those type of ads on a gaming site. It makes very little sense. May be when they allow an account creation they need to make them answer some random MMORPG question or vet the applications so they cannot post immediately after they try to create an account.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by kitarad
    It puzzles me why would anyone target those type of ads on a gaming site. It makes very little sense. May be when they allow an account creation they need to make them answer some random MMORPG question or vet the applications so they cannot post immediately after they try to create an account.

The people who pull these scams aren't very smart. 

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by Omali
    Originally posted by kitarad

The people who pull these scams aren't very smart. 

They are very smart.

-----

They don't do this to get people from the forums to go to their spam links. They do it to get back-links in Google and push ranking or keywords of whatever they promote.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Can't MMORPG.com just IP block the the spammers?  Surely it is the same people from the same area.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

It would be so easy to stop the daily spam with auto banning tools or a special report feature.

Only older accounts in good standing get to tag someone as add spammer. The spammer would be put into a temp ban until a mod can check it out.

Abuse of the feature would be strictly punished.

Harbinger of Fools
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Dakeru

It would be so easy to stop the daily spam with auto banning tools or a special report feature.

Only older accounts in good standing get to tag someone as add spammer. The spammer would be put into a temp ban until a mod can check it out.

I'd gladly take up the job if it meant stopping the spammers. 

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I'd gladly take up the job if it meant stopping the spammers. 

No need for a person, you can automate this with every forum software or a few simple scripts on your Server/Firewall.

----

This should not happen, i have no idea who is in charge of security on this forum but he needs to go take some courses on IT security.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Why do people always think banning stops these people. With an account name like ;drklgndtrkgjrkhn what are the odds that person is ever going to use it again ?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Why do people always think banning stops these people. With an account name like ;drklgndtrkgjrkhn what are the odds that person is ever going to use it again ?

I think I saw that person gold spamming on ArcheAge last evening. 

Or maybe it was his cousin? image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

It's not a person, just a simple script, and not even a pricey / sophisticated one.

I'm not pretending I know anything about running and managing a forum engine, so just a few ideas:

- no thread open right for new accounts. Even a 24-48 hours delay would rule out most of the simpler bots.

- new thread interval increase, with ban. It's not a common procedure for any real user to open a thread in every minute... so if a user is opening a thread at 10:20, then one at 10:21, and try to open a new one at 10:22, you could easily auto-ban the account. Even a temporary ban for a day would be enough for most bots, since those aren't using an account for more than a day (knowing and expecting their accounts will be banned by then)

- for this actual case, you could set up a filter for that number in all of the threads. If an account is trying to open a thread with that number in the title, auto-ban. Again, it could be a temporary ban if you want to be kind, the point is to send back to the bot a failure.

- based on how dumb is the idiot behind the whole issue, the 2 point above could lead a massive scripted account creation... so you'd probably need some gateway in that process, if the servers can't take the extra load.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by DamonVile

You completely missed the point. Those guys create 10-20 threads before a mod wakes up and bans them.

If we had a feature that gives trustworthy users the ability to put those spammers immediately into a temp ban they would never get that far.

Of course they could simply create a new account but we could fight back again just as easily.

Better than watching them spamming all over the forum without being able to do anything about it.

Harbinger of Fools
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Another day, another spam attack. Please do something.

• FrankVLucasFrankVLucas Member UncommonPosts: 45

If you look at the general gaming sub-forum, you can see that this spamming went on for 5 hours at this point.

Mods, please wake up.

• HockeyisthegameHockeyisthegame Member Posts: 84
    Maybe at the next staff meeting they can adjust their hours.  I am assuming they are based on the east coast or have employees on the east coast.  Instead of waking up at 9 maybe try 730 so those who use this site in the morning don't have to deal with the spam.  
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by FrankVLucas

If you look at the general gaming sub-forum, you can see that this spamming went on for 5 hours at this point.

Mods, please wake up.

Yeah. MMORPG needs to have mods covering this shit 24/7. Cant be THAT hard to find some trustworthy peeps to jump in and help. Heck, I would even do it when I had the time. I usually hang here alot at my spare time. And there sure is more like me out there. Cause we can´t have it like this. It's killing the joy for many of us.

• Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by Hockeyisthegame

Maybe at the next staff meeting they can adjust their hours.  I am assuming they are based on the east coast or have employees on the east coast.  Instead of waking up at 9 maybe try 730 so those who use this site in the morning don't have to deal with the spam.  

Or just get one more mod living in another timezone!?