Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leveling through pvp?

Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
Can I level through only doing the PVP side of side game?

Comments

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Yes you can, in theory. Just don't expect to be up there in levels anytime soon. ESO does not like people gaining xp without quests sadly.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• sugarbear78664sugarbear78664 Member Posts: 36
    That would be a loooong hard road.......but i guess u could. would take way longer than pve.
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    k, well that crap news :( thought the pvp was meant to be a big part of the game?

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog
    k, well that crap news :( thought the pvp was meant to be a big part of the game?

It is meant to be a big part of the game.  It just isn't meant to be the only part of the game.  

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

I leveled from VR1 to VR4 almost exclusively through PvP. Slow, but doable.

Would not recommend until they add the 1-49 campaign however as you will likely get frustrated after a bit.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

This was my biggest frustration with ESO. Once I got to my mid-20's in level I realized I would have to grind quests if I wanted to keep up in PVP. Dumb.

Rift, WoW, SWTOR, Wildstar, etc. made it reasonably easy to level through PVP. ESO, a game that made a huge deal about their 3 way PVP decided for whatever reason to force PVPers to PVE through 60 levels. Makes no sense to me.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

1-50 I did about 40 % of my leveling through pvp. The 60% pve was going through the main storyline quests and doing dungeons with my guild.

I've done my VR levels exclusively through pvp, and it's been a blast.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

This was my biggest frustration with ESO. Once I got to my mid-20's in level I realized I would have to grind quests if I wanted to keep up in PVP. Dumb.

Rift, WoW, SWTOR, Wildstar, etc. made it reasonably easy to level through PVP. ESO, a game that made a huge deal about their 3 way PVP decided for whatever reason to force PVPers to PVE through 60 levels. Makes no sense to me.

I hate to say it, but it's the typical stupidity of this dev team.  I've never seen a dev team with more inconsistent development decisions.

Only god knows what their intentions are, but -- in terms of both good business and good gaming -- they've made some really stupid decisions.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

I don't think you should be able to get to top level through PvP in a MMO, if that had been their design decision they might as well have dropped PvE questing all together. This would have been the fantasy equivalent of what PS decided to do. It highlights a problem in MMO design, PvE and PvP do not sit well together.

What they could have done, was follow DAOC and have PvP become important at regular stages through the broader PvE levelling experience. They have made PvP rather top end, but that's a common issue in MMOs.

If they had done what I said we would no doubt have had posters saying 'they are being forced to PvP'. Whatever model you use for this you will get a lot of issues because PvE and PvP have never been happy bedfellow's.

A current trend over the last few years has been to have PvP scenarios, battlegrounds etc. These are short PvP sessions which pitch you against a random small team of opponents. Its hardly new, but it seems to have taken over as the only or main form of PvP in many MMOs. PvP can be far grander than that, not saying they are not fun, but keep play has more long term appeal.  When you have both PvP systems, devs consistently end up putting too many PvP goodies in the mini PvP and the large scale PvP is abandoned. That's going to be the issue for ESO down the line, they need to make Cyrodiil stronger in gameplay, not add on new PvP elements.

EDIT: I missed the fact I had passed 5000 posts. Not sure that's a cause for celebration mind you. :D

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

I tried to make it work because I loved the pvp in this game.  I had a blast.

But the developers didn't agree.  Such a wonderful PVP area.  Huge with lots to do.  And no experience to speak of for doing any of it.

I ended up having to unsub because I just couldn't run quests to level.  That and I really am a fan of alts.  If there are 10 classes in a game I will have 10 characters if possible.  And I couldn't do the PVE for one char, 4 was right out.

It can be a lot of fun though if you don't mind putting in a few weeks questing at least to get leveled up a bit and know you're only going to play the one character.  If you hate questing though, expect heartache.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Slower but  doable. Also not to forget about the PvE in cyrodill which is possible.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Originally posted by Yoda_Clone
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

I hate to say it, but it's the typical stupidity of this dev team.  I've never seen a dev team with more inconsistent development decisions.

Only god knows what their intentions are, but -- in terms of both good business and good gaming -- they've made some really stupid decisions.

Some of the decisions they've made make me wonder if they just don't know what they're doing or they just tried too hard to be different than everyone else?  In order to be better in PvP you have to grind veteran ranks in PvE.  Sure, you could grind those ranks out in Cyrodiil but why torture yourself when it will take you half the time by grinding out 1-50 quests in the other factions.  I never played an MMO before where I was forced to grind quests in PvE to be better in PvP.  Just stupid.  The veteran rank system should have been a PvP progression system ala DAoC's realm ability system.

The whole thing of getting to 50 and then getting to do the 1-50 quests in the other factions as your end game is just laziness on the part of Zenimax. Oh sure, you only need to play 1 toon to experience all the content.  I'd rather level alts in the other 2 factions and get to experience the other classes than grind those quests for veteran ranks.

I know its not PvP related but their crafting system is screwed up just like this as well.  You gain more experience/inspiration by destroying an item rather than making it....at least for Woodworking, Enchanting, Clothing and Blacksmithing.  I could be wrong but I've never played another MMO where it worked like this.  It's almost as if they did it just to be different than everyone else.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I leveled in Cyrodiil. I loved it. You'll never need for anything. You'll have gear and gold. You can siege, quest and explore out there. I'm still running across new caves and things. You don't need to leave unless you want to. To me it feels like Cyrodiil was the way the game was meant to be played and they added on pve for those who like that stuff ;)

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"