Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Players that say "Don't play Jedi Sentinel/Sith Marauder"?

RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

I don't get it, it seems that a majority of players are saying to newer players or players that have never played them before like myself not to play Jedi Sentinel or Sith Marauder for PvP saying that if you play as one then your are compromising the team. This is probably down to a recent nerf to the class as well as the class being considered a glass cannon and they even say they are a hard class to learn.

But really, should I take their word for granted? To be honest I find it extremely baffling that these people would say this, like if they are taking the game too seriously and are really overreacting. Like in any game, we should play whatever we want, not put restrictions down of what not to play.

So are they right or are they dead wrong?

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

To be honest I find it extremely baffling that these people would say this, like if they are taking the game too seriously. Like in any game, we should play whatever we want, not put restrictions down of what not to play.

They're dead wrong. And I mean it in a broader, general meaning, since I don't play mmo's for pvp (and even less in TOR's case, TOR has great pve), so I can't say whether Sentinel is good for pvp or not.

But I can't put a heavy enough emphasis on the we should play whatever we want part. Totally agree. It's your gameplay what matters, in the end.

If you feel you want to play the Sentinel, play it. Elitist can go and **** themselves - in every game, might I add, not only in TOR :)

• HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163

Simply put in pvp, Ranged > Melee.

Melee only has 1 ability to quickly get to a ranged person while ranged can easily just get away again. There are skills to help root and slow, but it's not enough to control ranged classes as one wrong turn can lead you far enough away to not be able to attack again.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

it's because you really have to know how to keybind to play the class properly.. other classes can be a bit more forgiving on clickers.

and no ranged does not perform better in pvp not at all

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

I don't get it, it seems that a majority of players are saying to newer players or players that have never played them before like myself not to play Jedi Sentinel or Sith Marauder for PvP saying that if you play as one then your are compromising the team. This is probably down to a recent nerf to the class as well as the class being considered a glass cannon and they even say they are a hard class to learn.

But really, should I take their word for granted? To be honest I find it extremely baffling that these people would say this, like if they are taking the game too seriously and are really overreacting. Like in any game, we should play whatever we want, not put restrictions down of what not to play.

They aren't wrong, just greatly over-exaggerating.

When it comes to newer players, ranged = easier than melee. This is true for just about every action-oriented pvp game.

That said, in just about every pvp game, the bulk of the player base is fairly clueless when it comes to balance issues. Most of those people are just regurgitating crap they've heard somewhere else. Very few players actually take the time to take a hard look at how the classes work together and against each other. Let alone crunch the numbers to see just exactly how different one class is from another.

At the end of the day it comes down to this: play what you want.

As a long-time pvper, across many games, I can tell you that it all comes down to playstyle. Play what feels comfortable to you, and you'll learn the rest with practice / experience. For example, when I first started playing SWTOR everyone kept telling me how crappy snipers were. Then I would just run around dominating. Then they would rectify their statements and say 'oh, well they're just ass in pvp'. At which point they'd start seeing me dominate in PvP. Now snipers are considered 'OP'. The same thing happened a while back with the marauder / sentinel classes. People called them ass, and for a time I just believed what I heard. Then I decided to try one, just for fun. Holy crap were they over-exaggerating. The class did have some issues dealing w/ sustained CC, however you can absolutely destroy with those classes if you know what you're doing.

In most games, players will treat a 5% difference in power, as a 100% gurauntee that you'll lose. And the reality is, most players aren't skilled enough for that minor power difference to matter (one way or the other). So play what you want, don't worry about the naysayers. If you're good, people will want to play with you regardless. And who knows, you may end up being one of those players that changes popular opinion on a class within the game.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

One of the annoying things about playing melee classes in this game (as opposed to ranged) is that you constantly have to put up with being knocked around or stunned or even losing aggro.

Ranged, you don't really have to worry about any of that.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

When people start telling you about how a ranged can kite you or get away and blah blah blah it just shows they're a paper warrior. Meaning they fight battles with stats on paper.

Go into a pvp match and see how often their hypothetical battle actually happens.

For raiding melee has always had a disadvantage in this game ( in any mmo really ). They're still viable for all content but you really have to know what you're doing. 

So what it really come down to is. If you think leaping on something with a lightsaber in each hand is awesome...then play it. Ignore anyone that tells you it can't be done. Top raids and top pvp players all have them on their teams and still somehow manage to win.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

One of the annoying things about playing melee classes in this game (as opposed to ranged) is that you constantly have to put up with being knocked around or stunned or even losing aggro.

Ranged, you don't really have to worry about any of that.

Not exactly, playing a healer spec'd commando in PvP means you don't get to keep everyone at range, even though you keep moving, and you really do have to keep moving because sometimes it seems like the entire opposing team just primaried you! of course as the ranged healer with aoe healing and heal over time abilities... if they don't primary you...you can be a total pita image

• EvgireonEvgireon Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by HikaruShidou

Simply put in pvp, Ranged > Melee.

Melee only has 1 ability to quickly get to a ranged person while ranged can easily just get away again. There are skills to help root and slow, but it's not enough to control ranged classes as one wrong turn can lead you far enough away to not be able to attack again.

I played as a sith tank, I would force jump to someone, force push then jump again, then choke. After that you're free to get away until my jump is available again.