Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheaper than a latte..

AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

So the Steam sale has me caught up.  Figured I'd try the game I've been glancing at warily for sometime now.

Any bright tips?

PS. Please don't tell me to go back to Azeroth... No.. More..!

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

Comments

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    I've really been debating on getting this as well. I don't like subscriptions, but I do like sandbox and I do like full loot PvP.
  • AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    I've really been debating on getting this as well. I don't like subscriptions, but I do like sandbox and I do like full loot PvP.

With the sale right now I figure why not pick it up.  Let me know if you give it a try.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Join a clan (in the clan tab) and get a mentor (in the social tab). There is basically ZERO hand-holding in this game, and you are very likely to get the wrong impression of what it's all about by simply going through the admittedly awful tutorial and starter feats.
  • bibensdbibensd Member UncommonPosts: 58
    eh if you've never played it give it a shot i guess, played it when it first came out until the devs ruined it with classes, their current "new content" is an attempt to undo the harm they already did and go back to a classess system again , i say meh, not going to give them more money for a sub based game that the devs already proved they can ruin whenever they want to.
  • TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317
    I'll take the latte thanks.  
  • JOverlordJOverlord Member Posts: 132
    Bought it for $3. Not enjoying the controls so far. Thats a serious pet peeve of mine but ill give it a chance.
  • StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Except that in this case the only sandbox part is the ffa full loot pvp.

It's been more than a year and I still don't see UW surpasing the old Darkfall 1.0 in most ways. The game that they copy pasted for the most part anyway and "updated" (by removing content) into the existing one.

It took them more then a year to figure out the "new" UW class system was bad and that balancing has to be done more than once per  6months for it to properly work, so they  now ditched it and made another step back towards old DF by opening all the skills for everyone to use.

Ironicaly there has been nothing but qq and forum pvp about how this and that skill is OP and has to be balanced.

Don't get me wrong, this was a good change.

Can't say that they are not trying but it's going slow and I'm fairly convinced they need like another year or two to break through out of what I'd call a beta. Provided that they don't abandon it like they did with DF1.0

Maybe you can spare a few coins and if you feel like helping them buy it now when it's cheap in case it actually picks up one day.

Originally posted by StarI

It's been more than a year and I still don't see UW surpasing the old Darkfall 1.0 in most ways. The game that they copy pasted for the most part anyway and "updated" (by removing content) into the existing one.

It took them more then a year to figure out the "new" UW class system was bad and that balancing has to be done more than once per  6months for it to properly work, so they  now ditched it and made another step back towards old DF by opening all the skills for everyone to use.

Ironicaly there has been nothing but qq and forum pvp about how this and that skill is OP and has to be balanced.

Can't say that they are not trying but it's going slow and I'm fairly convinced they need like another year or two to break through out of what I'd call a beta. Provided that they don't abandon it like they did with DF1.0

Maybe you can spare a few coins and if you feel like helping them buy it now when it's cheap in case it actually picks up one day.

I'm not sure what forums you're going to but people LOVE the new custom roles system. For the past year they've been making the game considerably better, including a lot of quality of life improvements like changes to UI and adding in repeatable feats.

@OP: please do yourself a favor and give the game an honest chance and try not to listen to the obviously biased and jaded people on the forums who PROBABLY don't even play.

I haven't played a full loot PvP game since Ultima Online and while I know it's a huge generalization, Wildstar just seems like WoW with a Sci-Fi skin to it. 

Thanks for the tips on finding a clan and a mentor.  Is a mentor an NPC? Thanks again!

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by Anslem

I haven't played a full loot PvP game since Ultima Online and while I know it's a huge generalization, Wildstar just seems like WoW with a Sci-Fi skin to it. 

Thanks for the tips on finding a clan and a mentor.  Is a mentor an NPC? Thanks again!

No it will connect you to a player. you can get his expirience and he gets a minor share of your prowess (you dont get less than without ^^ )

So you can ask him anything. For example the guy complaining about bindings above is totally right, the default controls are AWFUL but the game has everything to play it fluent. you just need to set it up.

For example Q or E will activate each hotbar. 1-8 will then select the skill. You can set up skills so that you can cast them when clicking. These are all things the tutorial doesnt tell.

Most players have all the passive abilities like transferes, mount heal and so on on the right circle/hotbar and set it up to Cast on Selection. This leads to having a free right mousbutton that you can now use for parry. All the attacks/buffs combat stuff on the left and are executed with left mousebutton

• LeGrosGamerV2LeGrosGamerV2 Member Posts: 90
    Borderlands 2 + GOTY + 10 DLC's for only 10$ , who cares about darkfall?   That BL2 bundle deal, is the deal of the decade right there :D
  • JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by LeGrosGamerV2
    who cares about darkfall?  

You. You're posting on a darkfall forum.

My blog: image

Originally posted by Anslem

No, a person can sign up to be a mentor, and you sign up to be an apprentice. The system will randomly match you with a mentor. It will put you in contact with your mentor and he'll show you the ropes of the game while he gets bonus prowess (think: exp) relative to how much prowess you make for yourself. At the end of your apprenticeship, you can rate his job at a mentor, so the crappy prowess-hungry mentors don't keep getting picked.

And I feel the same way regarding UO and Wildstar, WoW, et al.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Holophonist

I'm not sure what forums you're going to but people LOVE the new custom roles system. For the past year they've been making the game considerably better, including a lot of quality of life improvements like changes to UI and adding in repeatable feats.

@OP: please do yourself a favor and give the game an honest chance and try not to listen to the obviously biased and jaded people on the forums who PROBABLY don't even play.

I think the new custom roles look very solid but he's still right in the sense that this game has basically zero sand in the box. There's no reason to not kill someone, defeats the whole purpose of sandbox politics and results in a large FFA. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Chrisbox

I think the new custom roles look very solid but he's still right in the sense that this game has basically zero sand in the box. There's no reason to not kill someone, defeats the whole purpose of sandbox politics and results in a large FFA. 

I don't think the lack of an alignment system means it's not a sandbox. It also absolutely does not defeat the whole purpose of politics in the game. Politics has to do with clan standings with other clans, and things of that nature. That side of the game is very robust, and I doubt many games have more intricate and deep-seated political rivalries.

As for "sand in the box," I'm not sure what you're looking for. The pve and crafting is similar to UO's, which is one of the archetypal sandbox games. The game lets you do what you want, and that's what sandbox is supposed to mean.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

I don't think the lack of an alignment system means it's not a sandbox. It also absolutely does not defeat the whole purpose of politics in the game. Politics has to do with clan standings with other clans, and things of that nature. That side of the game is very robust, and I doubt many games have more intricate and deep-seated political rivalries.

As for "sand in the box," I'm not sure what you're looking for. The pve and crafting is similar to UO's, which is one of the archetypal sandbox games. The game lets you do what you want, and that's what sandbox is supposed to mean.

Just like to quip in that AV is about to release various siege engines then they are going to tackle the alignment system.  Sometime after that they will be adding lore type quests.

Still planning to give it a shot -- I forgot if I read their was or was not housing?  

Incidentally, I reactivated my UO account this past weekend and while so much has changed it was amazing to get lost for about 15 minutes running around Minoc.  

Found some of my old pals on ICQ (I know, right?) who still play and it might be a decent distraction for awhile.  If anyone's interested in UO again, let me know.  It's old, but damn there's nothing like it. 

• KingLlamaKingLlama Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Actually supernodes and mob spawns are a big part of politics now plus area of infulence. If you guys need help ingame on the NA server please message The Fiend or apply for the clan Nyota I will help any new players with questions or show em around Agon.

Pirate MMO Tattered Sails http://tatteredsailsgame.com/

Originally posted by KingLlama
    Actually supernodes and mob spawns are a big part of politics now plus area of infulence. If you guys need help ingame on the NA server please message The Fiend or apply for the clan Nyota I will help any new players with questions or show em around Agon.

On this - thanks so much.

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674

I can honestly say that to me, this game is the best on the market. It does not provide the best PvE experience, but it is by far the best PvP and player driven of all.

If you are starting the game. Join a big clan. It is VERY important since that is the best source to get information in what to do etc. Also write on the forum boards of Darkfall and you will get a lot of information.

If you are starting EU. Add "Jakob Miller" as friend and I will help you out with information and stuff like that. I know that there are more willing to help in game as well.

Don't hesitate to try it. It's a very good game. But it requires more from the player than Wildstar or Hello Kitty.

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220

I myself unfortunately cannot even try this version of the game. I already paid for the original, not going to give them more money for a slightly modified version of the same game I already paid for once when it first came out, after watching the Dev for like 5 years.

Although, I can certainly say the original was surely....an experience.

~I am Many~

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    If you mean Darkfall online and that Darkfall Unholy Wars is a "Slightly" moderation of the previous game, then you are wrong dude.. Unholy wars is good.. and you pay 3 bucks for it + a free month..
  • NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

i prefer Unholy Wars over Darkfall now

- skill cap

- levy

-actual ship combat

-GFX

-more less annoying (friend summon, no macros needed to control char)

and so on