Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I dont see what all the hype is about...

M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385
Looking at screenshots, Repopulation is no different than any SciFi MMORPG from 10 years ago, even the graphics engines looks like it's 10 years old. Am I correct to say that hype is based on wanting to play those older SciFi mmos that everyone enjoyed, and wanting to relive those moments'? If that is the case than many of you will be disapointed. You may as well go and play a well established MMORPG with a shitty engine from last decade: Neocron 2 is back, and so is Face Of Mankind.  

Comments

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by M4ko
    Looking at screenshots, Repopulation is no different than any SciFi MMORPG from 10 years ago, even the graphics engines looks like it's 10 years old. Am I correct to say that hype is based on wanting to play those older SciFi mmos that everyone enjoyed, and wanting to relive those moments'? If that is the case than many of you will be disapointed. You may as well go and play a well established MMORPG with a shitty engine from last decade: Neocron 2 is back, and so is Face Of Mankind.  

Please stop going around saying this. You're obviously not educated in the mechanics of the game, so stop just arbitrarily declaring it to be similar to older scifi mmos.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

If you don't see what the hype is about , then don't waste your time on the game ?

But yes it does look a little dated, this game does not have a $100 million budget, its a very small team with people donating a lot of their personal time to make this game.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

If you just want to look at screenshots and judge games by that, this is the wrong genre for you.

I'm not trying to belittle your point, I mean this in all sincerity.

To make a thread and start it with "looking at screenshots" you're just not going to convince any serious MMORPG enthusiast of anything.  We care about content, features, and the game's systems as a whole much more than what any screenshot is going to convey.

• NellusNellus Member UncommonPosts: 247

... Hype? I haven't really seen much recently. If you want to use MMORPG.com as a gauge, since you thought it necessary to post here...

There have been 15 threads in The Repopulation forums here since the beginning of April, 22 since February began. That isn't hype. It's a question or comment here and there about a game that HAD a lot of hype, but is in a "wait and see" mode at this point.

- Nellus

• joshuahallsjoshuahalls Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Probably about as busy as Camelot Unchained has been in the same period of time. We are pretty entrenched right now in development and working with our backers that are currently in testing. Once Beta starts up we will start to push a bit harder on the marketing, but for now our efforts are going towards getting Beta ready.

Joshua Halls
    Co Owner-Lead Programmer The Repopulation

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Judging a game by screenshots alone is about as ridiculous as it gets.  The Repop is still being developed and it appears they are working on core game features more than anything else, ie the resource gathering mechanics and crafting.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385

YOu know,  I read about the mechanics recently. And all of it is just a combination of aspects taken straight out of older SciFi mmos. And together with a very old engine, this game reminds me of the RPG Maker for Playstation 1, where you get  most basic 2d scrolling textures and build your own RPG based on your previous experiences. This game is nothing new or exciting its the same old. Replaying same old features isnt fun, otherwise youd stil be playing your old SciFi MMOs. 

Graphics engine is so old and simple that it just jumps in your face screaming "rip-off" Anyway, enjoy praying to another Sandbox MMO Messiah, just too bad that he will never come.

• JOverlordJOverlord Member Posts: 132

YOu know,  I read about the mechanics recently. And all of it is just a combination of aspects taken straight out of older SciFi mmos. And together with a very old engine, this game reminds me of the RPG Maker for Playstation 1, where you get  most basic 2d scrolling textures and build your own RPG based on your previous experiences. This game is nothing new or exciting its the same old. Replaying same old features isnt fun, otherwise youd stil be playing your old SciFi MMOs. 

Graphics engine is so old and simple that it just jumps in your face screaming "rip-off" Anyway, enjoy praying to another Sandbox MMO Messiah, just too bad that he will never come.

Either A. You never played Playstation 1 or B. You are looking at a different game. 

This game isnt my cup of tea but dont try bashing the game if you never even seen it.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Who cares about graphics? Graphics don't matter much, all that's important is game play and this game has a lot of great sandbox features already working. Thats enough for some of us.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by JOverlord

Either A. You never played Playstation 1 or B. You are looking at a different game. 

This game isnt my cup of tea but dont try bashing the game if you never even seen it.

dafuq? I havent played PS1, how did you come to this wild conclusion? lol

Originally posted by xpiher

Who cares about graphics? Graphics don't matter much, all that's important is game play and this game has a lot of great sandbox features already working. Thats enough for some of us.

Graphics dont matter, when the game play is innovative, meaning it is something fresh. But all theyve done is copied everything to the tee from older MMORPGS and slapped a cheap graphics engine on it. Those skill use graphics like the double pistols are just horrible. I maybe terribly wrong here, but to me, it seems that these guy are no better than the whole line of indie and coming up MMO companies who try to copy a successful MMO with their own perks. There hasnt been a single good MMO that would last for a long time since WOW perverted the genre with it's shit MMOforALL

Originally posted by JOverlord

dafuq? I havent played PS1, how did you come to this wild conclusion? lol

"this game reminds me of the RPG Maker for Playstation 1"

So make sure you actually read what I said...

[mod edit]
    my god, did you read what I typed in reference to the RPG maker? I described how simple RPG maker was, and how REPOP seems to have been made in similar manner: simple, tasteless rehashes of older games and a low quality engine by today's standards.  Obviously graphics are not the same, [mod edit]
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Hey OP point me in the direction of an mmo with a feature list like this. Op you act like there are other options out there like this. I've seen a lot of posts on these forums and you posts are probably the most perplexing. You make no sense man.

People are freaking tired of linear quest hub themeparks and are looking for something closer to a virtual world. Why is the difficult for you to understand?
  • JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I normally avoid these threads, but since you seem to be posting every couple hours I am going to tackle this one.

If you don't like Repop, fine your entitled to that opinion. It's certainly not a game that will appeal to everyone. But to call it a rehash of other games shows a lack of knowledge about the game. I'll just walk through a few features.

Yes, the game has a generated mission system. It's easy to say that's just the same as mission generators in SWG or AO, but it doesn't at all work the same. The mission generation system in Repop works like normal missions. They can range from simple kill or delivery missions to very complex tasks with 15+ goals in a single mission. But the items, NPCs, locations can be randomized. These provide an endless stream of adventuring opportunities for those who wish to do them and include missions covering all aspects of the game not only combat. Moreover the mission are not typically obtained by walking around looking for ? over NPCs heads, they are instead mailed to you as job offers that you can accept or decline. Those missions are generated based on filters which means that as you play a certain way you open up for certain mission types. If you do shady things, you'll receive shady missions. There is also a filter to be able to filter out what missions you do and don't receive.

There is an inquiry system which allows you to engage into conversation with most of the NPCs in the game. You can ask them about subjects they know about. These can provide backstory, directions to NPCs or far off destinations, information about current and recent events in the area your currently in or other areas the NPC knows about, background information on other NPCs, etc. This works based on a knowledge system so as you do more things you gain access to additional questions. Missions can be hidden inside of these, as well.

Players can create cities in the open world. Those cities can be besieged by other nations in the PvP aspects of the game. PvP is three faction but the third faction's relationships are dictated by the players. Each nation can set their relationships to the other nations. Large parts of the world are PvP free though, with the center contested regions being where PvP takes place.

The harvesting system features two types of harvesting. One is the SWG style harvesters though the system works very differently. The other is more traditional whack-a-node harvesting. Nodes have limited supply, and can have randomized locations. Players can enrich an area improving it the quality of its results in a way that is shared by other players, encouraging group harvesting.

The crafting system is a beast onto itself, and the bulk of the games economy is tied to it. It's a complex system that offers a ton of customization including mastery levels of each recipe, and being able to get different results from single recipes by using different branches of components. Everything in the game is tied into this system though. It's what drives the economy. Again our system is far from a clone of some other system.

There are upgrade systems for robotics, allowing you to not only create a variety of robots but to them customize them to your liking using the socket system. Vehicles are also getting a similar system in the future. Some vehicles also have combat capabilities.

Engagements are similar to public quests but they have a number of extensions to that system. They can spread through a parent<->child technique, and many of our engagements are area wide longer term objectives that are designed to make areas different on successive visits based no how the players have been playing. For example, we have a village that is located outside of one of the native speaking species lairs. There is an uneasy peace there. If players can curb their desire to turn the Faugea home into a dungeon then the Faugea will have less of a presence outside of it, and will send in an Ambassador into the city who you can do quests for to learn the language and befriend their species. If players continue to prey on the Faugea the system escalates. They start having a larger focus on the area, and eventually will send a huge raiding force to the town, creating fires and spinning off into other directions. Numerous areas have similar story arcs which have random selection and branch based on player actions.

Content in general is very generated. You won't always see the same mobs in every location. Camps sprout up in random locations and grow is unchecked, spawning boss or mission opportunities for players as they do. The rules for those can also vary quite a bit. Some dens will expand and become more difficult as bosses are killed. Others grow stronger if left unchecked. Some stop when a spawning object (such as a den or a camp) is destroyed, and others are independent of it. Some of these events change location based on metrics of what players are doing in those areas. It's a very dynamic system.

There is a calendar and season system which alters weather patterns and can include seasonal resources or opportunities. Winter just began on alpha and it's been interesting to hear players in chat noticing rain for the first time in some cases. After is rains in some areas you will find shrooffles (like mushrooms) which tie into world events and missions nearby. Combat allows you to switch between RPG mode (traditional MMO combat) or Action Mode (more like a first/third person shooter). You can switch between the two at any time and under the hood they work the exact same. NPCs can move around, and close shops at night, you can entertain in the pubs, focus on any of three different types of pet systems, etc. Many of the features in Repop there have been titles that have done these things before, but they are rare occurrences. Other things are completely unique.

Repop won't be a game for everyone. It's a very different experience from most titles. Many players will enjoy that, but others will not. That's to be expected. But one thing you can certainly not say is that it is a clone title.

• NineFuriesNineFuries Member Posts: 33
    I gotta say that some of those features sound fuckin awesome.  I'm curious though.....how many of those features are currently being used in the alpha?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'm certainly looking forward to the launch of this game, but I'm expecting it to be rough.

The feature list is extensive, and the game systems are complex and interrelated. That's both a blessing and a curse.

There are frequently significant bugs, exploits and imbalances in far less "complex" AAA MMO's, most of which theoretically have far larger dev and QA staff as well as more budget for testing cycles. Expecting Repop to be rock-solid at launch is unrealistic.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by NineFuries
    I gotta say that some of those features sound fuckin awesome.  I'm curious though.....how many of those features are currently being used in the alpha?

NDA, NDA, NDA, NDA...

Without breaching the NDA I can quote from thier own statements:

Spring 2012: "Even without kickstarter we are planning a launch in 2013 with all the features listed."

Spring 2014: "Yeah everyone is pretty much under NDA. We probably will lift parts of it at some point once a few more things are ironed out. In general there has been a few bumps and issues, but those who come in expecting an Alpha I believe are enjoying it."

Draw your own conclusions.

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394

It's pretty much going the same way as Greed Monger:

Hyped on  Kickstarter >>> Promised Beta and Release within a year/a few months >>> Trying to cash in a second time after kickstarter ($150 Alpha access) >>> After 2 years game is sill in Alpha.

----

It's an ambitious but unrealistic Project that will soon be forgotten.

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

So you are suggesting that Neocron2 and Face of Mankind, which were open ended, non-story driven, CYBERPUNK MMOs are anything like The Repopulation which is a Sci-Fi, SANDBOX MMO, closer to SWG-Pre CU then the two you listed?

[mod edit]

So much crap, so little quality.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by JC-Smith
    I normally avoid these threads, but since you seem to be posting every couple hours I am going to tackle this one.

If you don't like Repop, fine your entitled to that opinion. It's certainly not a game that will appeal to everyone. But to call it a rehash of other games shows a lack of knowledge about the game. I'll just walk through a few features.

Yes, the game has a generated mission system. It's easy to say that's just the same as mission generators in SWG or AO, but it doesn't at all work the same. The mission generation system in Repop works like normal missions. They can range from simple kill or delivery missions to very complex tasks with 15+ goals in a single mission. But the items, NPCs, locations can be randomized. These provide an endless stream of adventuring opportunities for those who wish to do them and include missions covering all aspects of the game not only combat. Moreover the mission are not typically obtained by walking around looking for ? over NPCs heads, they are instead mailed to you as job offers that you can accept or decline. Those missions are generated based on filters which means that as you play a certain way you open up for certain mission types. If you do shady things, you'll receive shady missions. There is also a filter to be able to filter out what missions you do and don't receive.

There is an inquiry system which allows you to engage into conversation with most of the NPCs in the game. You can ask them about subjects they know about. These can provide backstory, directions to NPCs or far off destinations, information about current and recent events in the area your currently in or other areas the NPC knows about, background information on other NPCs, etc. This works based on a knowledge system so as you do more things you gain access to additional questions. Missions can be hidden inside of these, as well.

Players can create cities in the open world. Those cities can be besieged by other nations in the PvP aspects of the game. PvP is three faction but the third faction's relationships are dictated by the players. Each nation can set their relationships to the other nations. Large parts of the world are PvP free though, with the center contested regions being where PvP takes place.

The harvesting system features two types of harvesting. One is the SWG style harvesters though the system works very differently. The other is more traditional whack-a-node harvesting. Nodes have limited supply, and can have randomized locations. Players can enrich an area improving it the quality of its results in a way that is shared by other players, encouraging group harvesting.

The crafting system is a beast onto itself, and the bulk of the games economy is tied to it. It's a complex system that offers a ton of customization including mastery levels of each recipe, and being able to get different results from single recipes by using different branches of components. Everything in the game is tied into this system though. It's what drives the economy. Again our system is far from a clone of some other system.

There are upgrade systems for robotics, allowing you to not only create a variety of robots but to them customize them to your liking using the socket system. Vehicles are also getting a similar system in the future. Some vehicles also have combat capabilities.

Engagements are similar to public quests but they have a number of extensions to that system. They can spread through a parent<->child technique, and many of our engagements are area wide longer term objectives that are designed to make areas different on successive visits based no how the players have been playing. For example, we have a village that is located outside of one of the native speaking species lairs. There is an uneasy peace there. If players can curb their desire to turn the Faugea home into a dungeon then the Faugea will have less of a presence outside of it, and will send in an Ambassador into the city who you can do quests for to learn the language and befriend their species. If players continue to prey on the Faugea the system escalates. They start having a larger focus on the area, and eventually will send a huge raiding force to the town, creating fires and spinning off into other directions. Numerous areas have similar story arcs which have random selection and branch based on player actions.

Content in general is very generated. You won't always see the same mobs in every location. Camps sprout up in random locations and grow is unchecked, spawning boss or mission opportunities for players as they do. The rules for those can also vary quite a bit. Some dens will expand and become more difficult as bosses are killed. Others grow stronger if left unchecked. Some stop when a spawning object (such as a den or a camp) is destroyed, and others are independent of it. Some of these events change location based on metrics of what players are doing in those areas. It's a very dynamic system.

There is a calendar and season system which alters weather patterns and can include seasonal resources or opportunities. Winter just began on alpha and it's been interesting to hear players in chat noticing rain for the first time in some cases. After is rains in some areas you will find shrooffles (like mushrooms) which tie into world events and missions nearby. Combat allows you to switch between RPG mode (traditional MMO combat) or Action Mode (more like a first/third person shooter). You can switch between the two at any time and under the hood they work the exact same. NPCs can move around, and close shops at night, you can entertain in the pubs, focus on any of three different types of pet systems, etc. Many of the features in Repop there have been titles that have done these things before, but they are rare occurrences. Other things are completely unique.

Repop won't be a game for everyone. It's a very different experience from most titles. Many players will enjoy that, but others will not. That's to be expected. But one thing you can certainly not say is that it is a clone title.

Why bother posting??? I been a gamer and a Developer for a long time, these people I have learned to not bother with. Most are trying to get a rise out of you guys..

You have nothing to prove to him or anyone. You know the hard work your team has added to the game.  The funny thing is all games like movies have some similar mechanics and aspects of things. So when people screw  clone, I normally laugh at people who say it about certain things and certain games, when in  fact its someone trolling, or not very bright.

@OP

I have used RPG Maker, I also use Hero, a lot.  Guess what buddy, nothing alike, not even close.. If you want to see please go get the RPG maker and make a game, then TRY and make one on Hero. When you uninstall it because your lost, and do not have the education for it. Then return.. RPG maker is for people, who want to make a game and have little to no knowledge and they want to make a simple game for fun.

Now back to your comment, about them using old mechanic's  ummm, have you even played this game at all??? My guess is no.. So I will stop right there, because I will no longer give you the attention you are looking for..

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Kangaroomouse

It's pretty much going the same way as Greed Monger:

Hyped on  Kickstarter >>> Promised Beta and Release within a year/a few months >>> Trying to cash in a second time after kickstarter ($150 Alpha access) >>> After 2 years game is sill in Alpha.

----

It's an ambitious but unrealistic Project that will soon be forgotten.

Not even close to that game, Repop is a lot further along, and has more people who are talented and know what they are doing.  GM, I will agree with you. I did not give them money as they used place holder art from someone else, and said it was their art the last I heard.

I also seen GM looking for more people and bugging people on Unity site to help them.. Because they were lost, they thought they could get Unity and build the game off the assets. Wrong, an MMO not going to happen... Unity you can use to build an MMO, but you better have a good team that knows what they are doing.   Hero is design to build MMO's there framework is for that. 

Unity is the most growing Game Engine, but  I personally use it  atleast 12 hours a day.. But even with my experience if I made an MMO, I would not use Unity, I may use  Hero or  built my own.   Which is a shit ton of work..   So again picking the  right engine for the right job is very  important. I mean you can do a lot with any engine and make things work, heck Mortal Online used UDK, which is a good engine, but I feel its stupid for an MMO.

Shroud of the Avatar is using Unity for there MMO, which I think is great but they have a very good team, that is why they want indie of the year award..  So , please stop trying to knock indies, if it wasn't for us indies, or games like Repop, you guys would be stuck playing, WOW and its clones..

Watch and see how much more Indies take over, look at the IOS and Android market,( we/indies) already took that over, and look what comes out of Steam, indies and they do well.. So maybe watch it, before you put your foot in you rmouth!!

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Why bother posting??? I been a gamer and a Developer for a long time, these people I have learned to not bother with. Most are trying to get a rise out of you guys..

You have nothing to prove to him or anyone. You know the hard work your team has added to the game.  The funny thing is all games like movies have some similar mechanics and aspects of things. So when people screw  clone, I normally laugh at people who say it about certain things and certain games, when in  fact its someone trolling, or not very bright.

They are a new studio afaik so they have to prove they can deliver. And posts/threads like this might end up toxic if left unattended. But jumping in and handling the situation is a good way to show people, aka potiential costumers, that they really do care. F.e. if someone googles it and finds this post there is a reply from a Dev, situation defused, maybe a costumer won. That's one of the reason I still follow them and haven't put them away in the "like Firefall" folder, no offence ; )

If they didnt then all we would have had is a "NDA NDA NDA" post which ofc is true but would leave a "they have something to hide" taste. That way we know they have the stuff ingame and are working on it to get rid of bugs. And if some think that animations are final in alpha/beta stage well, I guess you cant help those people. But given the nature of todays alphas or betas (i.e. AA alpha after it has been released 1-2 times already)  I can't really blame them.

It's just nice to see a company communicate with its future playerbase. If they do the same in the internal alpha/beta forums there is hope for a great game. On a side note... move it darn it, I need a good game to waste time on :D

edit: Mortal Online used UDK? wow..that sounds painful

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744
    You may as well go and play a well established MMORPG with a shitty engine from last decade: Neocron 2 is back, and so is Face Of Mankind.  

Face of Mankind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IaRzHb_BBA

Neocron 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWBBiOi-3yY

The Repopulation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R8rtrr0YF8

PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE JOKING WITH THAT STATEMENT [mod edit]