Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gold Buyers : Losers or Not?

Comments

• JOverlordJOverlord Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by STYNKFYST
    Originally posted by JOverlord
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

This is by no means a scientific poll, but it's still depressing to see that roughly 40% of respondents seem to think that buying gold from goldsellers is "OK".

Nothing in the poll indicates that. 

Arguing to just argue?

So it may be 33%...still wanna argue?

No hes argueing that nowhere in the poll does it say goldsellers. It says buying gold. You can buy gold from the creators in many games now.

Cool...if that's what you think he's arguing. Or some argument against the percent. Yeah...must be valid gold selling games...yep.

If you look a few posts above yours you can see him talking about the games where you can essentially buy gold from the company...

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

If the game, and many/most games do these days, let you buy gold from the devs, or buy items that are sold for gold then it is not breaking the rules or making their own rules is it.

edit - I"m ok with buying gold from devs, or through items as I stated above.  Therefore I answered let them be.  I'm not ok with 3rd party sellers. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

This is by no means a scientific poll, but it's still depressing to see that roughly 40% of respondents seem to think that buying gold from goldsellers is "OK".

Arguing to just argue?

No hes argueing that nowhere in the poll does it say goldsellers. It says buying gold. You can buy gold from the creators in many games now.

Cool...if that's what you think he's arguing. Or some argument against the percent. Yeah...must be valid gold selling games...yep.

That is exactly my point, and my post prior to that explains it. It's not 2008 anymore. New AAA MMOs and almost all F2P MMOs offer some manner in which players can legally, directly or indirectly, buy in-game currency.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290

Arguing to just argue?

That is exactly my point, and my post prior to that explains it. It's not 2008 anymore. New AAA MMOs and almost all F2P MMOs offer some manner in which players can legally, directly or indirectly, buy in-game currency.

But...IMO...is NOT what is talked about here. Valid money conversions are NOT talked about here. Just plain and simple gold sellers and gold buyers.

Seemed obvious to me...but maybe I am wrong.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Gyrus

No need to be disrespectful, not sure what you seek to gain in that.

Also, the difference between gold selling and preorder packs is that 1, preorder money is going to the company making the game you're playing hopefully going back into the game. 2, preorder packs don't effect the in game economy like gold selling can.

It's a selfish practice.

It's interesting that the people against gold buying position against third party sellers, which isn't the subject of the thread, nor the only place to buy gold. That's the disconnect here. 

Normally the only way to buy gold or whatever in game currency the game uses, in a game is through these 3rd party sellers, or RMT traders, the number of games that sell in game currency for real money is probably very small, i think games like Entropia Universe do, but i also consider them to be a bit 'dodgy' and little more than some kind of pyramid selling/gambling game, and hopefully the 'exception to the rule' as MMO companies generally don't like to destabilise their own games.image

"Normally the only way to buy gold or whatever in game currency the game uses, in a game is through these 3rd party sellers"

If it was 2008, I'd agree, but that simply isn't the case anymore. 

Plenty of AAA MMOs sell items that players can sell to other players for in-game currency.

Add to that, almost all F2P games sell currency for either buying items that can then be traded to other players for in-game currency or directly trading to others for in-game currency.

Not exactly a direct selling of currency though, as its not 'magically' appeared in game, Plex, which btw, a 30 day plex costs nearly 50% more than a regular 30 day subscription, so its an 'expensive' way of acquiring isk, but it does allow players the option of playing for free, although free is a relative term, as somewhere along the line someone has actually paid for the subscription, but yes, Plex is a bit of an iffy one, and probably wouldn't have happened except as it did, as part of an anti-RMT program, the others i am not familiar with so i can't comment on them, hopefully their just variations on Plex. image

Arguing to just argue?

But...IMO...is NOT what is talked about here. Valid money conversions are NOT talked about here. Just plain and simple gold sellers and gold buyers.

The discussion of gold selling/buying  is one thing, the discussion of 3rd party sellers is another.

The poll is just discussing gold selling so he's lumping all gold selling into the same pot.

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Arguing to just argue?

The discussion of gold selling/buying  is one thing, the discussion of 3rd party sellers is another.

The poll is just discussing gold selling so he's lumping all gold selling into the same pot.

lol...ok. I dun get why we care then. If we aren't talking about the illegal gold selling....but whatever. Have you discussion

Originally posted by Aelious
    Gyrus

No need to be disrespectful, not sure what you seek to gain in that.

Also, the difference between gold selling and preorder packs is that 1, preorder money is going to the company making the game you're playing hopefully going back into the game. 2, preorder packs don't effect the in game economy like gold selling can.

It's a selfish practice.

It's interesting that the people against gold buying position against third party sellers, which isn't the subject of the thread, nor the only place to buy gold. That's the disconnect here. 

Normally the only way to buy gold or whatever in game currency the game uses, in a game is through these 3rd party sellers, or RMT traders, the number of games that sell in game currency for real money is probably very small, i think games like Entropia Universe do, but i also consider them to be a bit 'dodgy' and little more than some kind of pyramid selling/gambling game, and hopefully the 'exception to the rule' as MMO companies generally don't like to destabilise their own games.image

"Normally the only way to buy gold or whatever in game currency the game uses, in a game is through these 3rd party sellers"

If it was 2008, I'd agree, but that simply isn't the case anymore. 

Plenty of AAA MMOs sell items that players can sell to other players for in-game currency.

Add to that, almost all F2P games sell currency for either buying items that can then be traded to other players for in-game currency or directly trading to others for in-game currency.

Not exactly a direct selling of currency though, as its not 'magically' appeared in game, Plex, which btw, a 30 day plex costs nearly 50% more than a regular 30 day subscription, so its an 'expensive' way of acquiring isk, but it does allow players the option of playing for free, although free is a relative term, as somewhere along the line someone has actually paid for the subscription, but yes, Plex is a bit of an iffy one, and probably wouldn't have happened except as it did, as part of an anti-RMT program, the others i am not familiar with so i can't comment on them, hopefully their just variations on Plex. image

Krono is.  One Krono cost $15 and you use it for a month sub.  They sell in EQ and EQ2 auction for fluctuating amounts.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Arguing to just argue?

Gold buyers: Losers or Not?

Goldbuyers are people who enjoy a game and find that their time is more valuable than the cash it costs to buy it.

That's the title and the description from the first post. The OP's issue isn't with buying from 3rd party sellers. His issue, as stated, is with spending real life money for in-game currency instead of farming/grinding/questing/etc for it. 

Spotty's assessment was that 40% of respondents seem to think that buying gold from goldsellers is "OK" which is incorrect. There's no way to tell who voted based on gem, Krono, CREDD, etc purchases and who voted based on buying from 3rd party sellers. 

Actually, if there was a poll here of "3rd Party Gold Sellers: Good or bad for the game?" I'd be willing to bet the overwhelming majority here would say "Bad". 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

To me, it doesn't matter whether the gold is brought through the Dev or a third party seller...

In fact... I think it's a little bit cheeky of Devs to say "you can only buy 'gold' from us.  It's fine to say you can by it cheaper and easier from us... but only?

The biggest question remains - why do players feel the need to do this?

And - it is a bad thing (both from the devs and other players point of view - depends on the game?)

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

Arguing to just argue?

Goldbuyers are people who enjoy a game and find that their time is more valuable than the cash it costs to buy it.

That's the title and the description from the first post. The OP's issue isn't with buying from 3rd party sellers. His issue, as stated, is with spending real life money for in-game currency instead of farming/grinding/questing/etc for it. 

Spotty's assessment was that 40% of respondents seem to think that buying gold from goldsellers is "OK" which is incorrect. There's no way to tell who voted based on gem, Krono, CREDD, etc purchases and who voted based on buying from 3rd party sellers. 

Actually, if there was a poll here of "3rd Party Gold Sellers: Good or bad for the game?" I'd be willing to bet the overwhelming majority here would say "Bad". 

Who am I to argue with BS?

Whatever you read and posted...is...your take. When some one posts about gold sellers, I take it as third party...sorry you don't play enough to be irritated by them...but that what I see when I see "gold seller"

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Seems there are varying interpretations of the OP's (badly worded) poll.

This thread is pretty much useless at this point, as everybody is arguing their own interpretation of the OP.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I think their losers even at $3 for 100 plat in Wildstar

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Because a lot of the game we like and we want to continue to play those parts and not be forced into playing the parts we don't like. 
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I personally read into it that it was 3rd party he was talking about. I bet a lot of people did the same. I totally don't care if someone buys gold from the games store.

Arguing to just argue?

Whatever you read and posted...is...your take. When some one posts about gold sellers, I take it as third party...sorry you don't play enough to be irritated by them...but that what I see when I see "gold seller"

I voted let them be because I am generally ok with gold selling/buying.  Therefore I would be in the 40% he is talking about, however I am not ok with buying from 3rd party gold sellers as it is too risky for the buyer and does/may promote hacking and theft.  Therefore for anyone to state that roughly 40% of the people here are ok with the 3rd party sellers would be incorrect.

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Arguing to just argue?

I voted let them be because I am generally ok with gold selling/buying.  Therefore I would be in the 40% he is talking about, however I am not ok with buying from 3rd party gold sellers as it is too risky for the buyer and does/may promote hacking and theft.  Therefore for anyone to state that roughly 40% of the people here are ok with the 3rd party sellers would be incorrect.

I totally took it as buying gold from the losers that bot us to death...to them I wish a harsh death in fire...to the rest...I guess I'm sorry.....

Originally posted by DamonVile
    I personally read into it that it was 3rd party he was talking about. I bet a lot of people did the same. I totally don't care if someone buys gold from the games store.

Okay... so why?

I mean say you want to buy a mount for WoW and it costs 1000gold.

Blizzard say they will sell you 1000gold for $50.

And a third party says they will sell you 1000gold for $35?

Doesn't that mean blizzard is ripping you off?

What about if Blizzard only sells gold in 200gp lots for $100 (minimum size)?  what then?

I totally took it as buying gold from the losers that bot us to death...to them I wish a harsh death in fire...to the rest...I guess I'm sorry.....

So,  in your case, it's the Bots that upset you?  Not the gold selling itself?

Originally posted by Gyrus
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Okay... so why?

I mean say you want to buy a mount for WoW and it costs 1000gold.

Blizzard say they will sell you 1000gold for $50.

And a third party says they will sell you 1000gold for $35?

Doesn't that mean blizzard is ripping you off?

What about if Blizzard only sells gold in 200gp lots for $100 (minimum size)?  what then?

You dont see a difference between buying gold from an illegal site and one from a money exchange?

You need to check your head.

Really? Seriously?

It's the same damn thing! We have to deal with the bots because people will buy illegal gold....are you friggin really asking this? Are you an MMO player?

• JeminaiJeminai Member UncommonPosts: 151
    I didn't read all the blah blah in this thread, so I'll just say this anyway...

exploiting systems, mechanics and security within a game for your own gain is clearly wrong. consider the slimes that hack accounts... why would they? in most cases to liquidate your hard earned gear for their little "business practices". I was hacked twice. having retrieved my account, my mains were found moved between servers and names changed to gibberish. kind of like the names gold sellers use.
    I would be very suspect of those you contact reguarding gold.
    parasites.. the lot if them. you pay them real $ to circulate stolen items from yourself and others.
    don't wanna grind an hour for some gold?
    yeah it takes a lot longer to get your account back.
    I've actually never really had a problem with bots, just lucky I guess.  I've seen a few people that seem to be bots but they never interfered with anything I was doing.

I'm goin to bed...you all have fun with this thread. Any more and I think I may be in trouble. Anyone who ever thought real money trading in valid games was bad....keep posting at real gamers laughter. Anyone who hates illegal gold trading at the expense of  an MMO...well...we know who we are.

Why this thread wasn't separated as such....

Really? Seriously?

It's the same damn thing! We have to deal with the bots because people will buy illegal gold....are you friggin really asking this? Are you an MMO player?

What about players that decide to leave the game and cash in?

A personal example - I once had a Neopets account - started it to see what it was and see if it was really 'kid safe'.

I ended up with millions of Neopoints just playing the Neopet stock market - a quick Google tells me I had about $50 worth.

Really I had no interest in it - so if i sell those points that makes me a 3rd party seller - no Bots involved.

My PotBS account was also very rich... again no bots.

I have a LotRO account too - haven't played in a while - I could sell the whole account maybe?  Why not?  I put the time in?

Vanguard account (probably not much value there now... but still....

Get the idea?