Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gold Buyers : Losers or Not?

Comments

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

Over 30% are justifying gold buying, or the ones who buy gold, in this very site, mmorpg.

I lost my hope on this genre.

• JOverlordJOverlord Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by inemosz

Over 30% are justifying gold buying, or the ones who buy gold, in this very site, mmorpg.

Make sure you dont leave your room. You will be very disappointed.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by inemosz

So when you started this thread "Gold Buyers ; Losers or Not?" it wasn't a question.

What you meant to say was: "Gold Buyers ; I hate them.  Point made.  Please don't post if you have an alternate point."?

You really don't get this forum thing do you?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The only players to lose are those outside the sell/buy transaction.
    Gyrus

No need to be disrespectful, not sure what you seek to gain in that.

Also, the difference between gold selling and preorder packs is that 1, preorder money is going to the company making the game you're playing hopefully going back into the game. 2, preorder packs don't effect the in game economy like gold selling can.

It's a selfish practice.
    Originally posted by Aelious
    The only players to lose are those outside the sell/buy transaction.

How so? The gold is already in the game. No one is adding any extra items. The economy today will be the same as the economy tomorrow. Players who are buying gold now will increase the demand of products which increases the prices. This now counteracts the price drop from botters who increased the supply of items on the market. 

The only true bad thing I see from these people is hacking into accounts. That disrupts gameplay. I dont condone those actions. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Gold selling is a contentious issue, part of the problem is that the companies that sell the gold, the RMT traders, are often the same people that hack players accounts so that they can ransack them of valuables in order to gain that gold to sell in the first place, so what a gold buyer is doing is sanctioning the hacking of other players accounts, and supporting the people who do this directly by paying them for the stolen resources, in a game with any kind of an economy, it can also destabilise the market, its one of the reasons why in Eve Online where the market is entirely player driven, that they clamp down hard not just on isk sellers but on the people who buy isk, repeat offenders do after all permanently lose their accounts.

So gold buyers are little more than hypocrites, after all their activity is helping to ruin a game they claim they like playing, and for entirely selfish reasons, not only that, they are directly supporting those who ruin the game experiences of others by buying items that have been obtained in a fashion that is usually classed as a criminal offence no matter what country you live in, never mind that its against the terms of the EULA in whatever game it relates to. image

Which is why, if i know of anyone buying gold in a game, i will always report them for doing so, as should anyone who cares enough about the games they play.image

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Gyrus

Also, the difference between gold selling and preorder packs is that 1, preorder money is going to the company making the game you're playing hopefully going back into the game. 2, preorder packs don't effect the in game economy like gold selling can.

It's a selfish practice.

It's interesting that the people against gold buying position against third party sellers, which isn't the subject of the thread, nor the only place to buy gold. That's the disconnect here. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

JOverlord

I was able to witness how gold buying/botting/farming effected the markets with Aion and it inflated it quite a bit. Granted, this doesn't mean all games turn out this way. You're right that the farming of items does increase product, lowering prices, but those savvy about the market are able to use that to their advantage and eventually it artificially tweaks the market.

Since a larger amount of product is being introduced, that is only used for market sale, it doesn't reflect on the market in the same way.

Aside from the in game implications is the moral. Side companies can be dangerous to player accounts and are using another companies intellectual property to make money. That extra revenue should be going back into the game or at least the owners of it.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

ITT: Being Smart = Being Lazy.

Great point and you are exactly correct. I shall redeem myself!

In fact, when I first read the OP I thought about cheat codes in Elder Scrolls. Once you know they exist and bring yourself to do it the seal has been broken. I think the sane theory applies here. The exact intention of the buyer cannot be know as there are a multitude of reasons why they would seek a shorter route. Losers? Not IMO. Cheaters? Yes, if it goes against the EULA of the game.

Part of the problem could be the fact money alone can help progress someone so much in the meta of an MMO.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Gyrus

It's a selfish practice.

It's interesting that the people against gold buying position against third party sellers, which isn't the subject of the thread, nor the only place to buy gold. That's the disconnect here. 

Normally the only way to buy gold or whatever in game currency the game uses, in a game is through these 3rd party sellers, or RMT traders, the number of games that sell in game currency for real money is probably very small, i think games like Entropia Universe do, but i also consider them to be a bit 'dodgy' and little more than some kind of pyramid selling/gambling game, and hopefully the 'exception to the rule' as MMO companies generally don't like to destabilise their own games.image

JOverlord

I was able to witness how gold buying/botting/farming effected the markets with Aion and it inflated it quite a bit. Granted, this doesn't mean all games turn out this way. You're right that the farming of items does increase product, lowering prices, but those savvy about the market are able to use that to their advantage and eventually it artificially tweaks the market.

Since a larger amount of product is being introduced, that is only used for market sale, it doesn't reflect on the market in the same way.

Aside from the in game implications is the moral. Side companies can be dangerous to player accounts and are using another companies intellectual property to make money. That extra revenue should be going back into the game or at least the owners of it.

Wouldnt that mean playing the AH is much more dangerous than botting?

Originally posted by JOverlord
    JOverlord

Wouldnt that mean playing the AH is much more dangerous than botting?

No because botting floods the AH with more items than would usually be seen, unless we're talking about a title without BoE items.

Originally posted by Phry
    Gyrus

It's a selfish practice.

Normally the only way to buy gold or whatever in game currency the game uses, in a game is through these 3rd party sellers, or RMT traders, the number of games that sell in game currency for real money is probably very small, i think games like Entropia Universe do, but i also consider them to be a bit 'dodgy' and little more than some kind of pyramid selling/gambling game, and hopefully the 'exception to the rule' as MMO companies generally don't like to destabilise their own games.image

"Normally the only way to buy gold or whatever in game currency the game uses, in a game is through these 3rd party sellers"

If it was 2008, I'd agree, but that simply isn't the case anymore. 

Plenty of AAA MMOs sell items that players can sell to other players for in-game currency.

Add to that, almost all F2P games sell currency for either buying items that can then be traded to other players for in-game currency or directly trading to others for in-game currency.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290
    The losers...if you mean douchebags...are the gold sellers. The buyers are sheep. We all lose to it either way.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

This is by no means a scientific poll, but it's still depressing to see that roughly 40% of respondents seem to think that buying gold from goldsellers is "OK".

Disgusting to see that so many players accept the fact that those who are prepared to spend the cash can make their own rules in MMO's. If you have the money, P2W is perfectly acceptable it seems. The end justifies the means.

No wonder each new MMO launch is overrun with goldsellers, there's obviously a huge market for their warez.

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

This is by no means a scientific poll, but it's still depressing to see that roughly 40% of respondents seem to think that buying gold from goldsellers is "OK".

Nothing in the poll indicates that. 

Disgusting to see that so many players accept the fact that those who are prepared to spend the cash can make their own rules in MMO's. If you have the money, P2W is perfectly acceptable it seems. The end justifies the means.

No wonder each new MMO launch is overrun with goldsellers, there's obviously a huge market for their warez.

^ Yes...agreed.

Everyone wonders the "why"

There it is

Arguing to just argue?

So it may be 33%...still wanna argue?

Originally posted by STYNKFYST

Arguing to just argue?

No hes argueing that nowhere in the poll does it say goldsellers. It says buying gold. You can buy gold from the creators in many games now.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I find it puzzling that how people spend their own money can be 'disgusting' to someone.

If I don't like Jazz, would I find people that buy Jazz albums disgusting?

Hmm.. lets see.. lolwut? 

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

I find it puzzling that how people spend their own money can be 'disgusting' to someone.

Hmm.. lets see.. lolwut? 

You should because them buying jazz music means people will continue to make jazz...Dont let these people support jazz artists....lol

Originally posted by JOverlord
    Originally posted by STYNKFYST

Arguing to just argue?

No hes argueing that nowhere in the poll does it say goldsellers. It says buying gold. You can buy gold from the creators in many games now.

Cool...if that's what you think he's arguing. Or some argument against the percent. Yeah...must be valid gold selling games...yep.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by jpnz

Hmm.. lets see.. lolwut? 

I find it disgusting that so many people are prepared to break the rules in MMO's.

I have no problem with different playstyles (or even musical tastes), it's cheating I have a problem with.

I won't object to someone "spending their money as they see fit" in a P2W Cash Shop game. I wouldn't play that game, but I'd have no problem with those that do, because they're still within the game rules.