Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com claims that HYPE meter isnt manipulated

M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385
THen why is this game in top 10 games on MMORPG .com list?

Comments

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166

People care about the Hype meter?

Color me surprised.

T

• M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385
    Originally posted by turinmacleod

Color me surprised.

T

When you make MMORPG.com your #1 source for all MMO news and development then Id say hype meter has to hold some value.

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Don't really care about the meter or what's on it.

Try not taking things so seriously, you will be happier.

Also, it is possible that there are people who are looking forward to the game.

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317
    what? 'Gaming site takes money for coverage of game' shocker.  Only no-one is shocked.  
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    If the HYPE meter only shows about 5% interest in this scamware then I'd say that the meter is working just fine. If it's higher than that then someone is fudging the numbers.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    every time a new game gets the minimum number of votes to show on the list it makes it to the top 10 for a few hours and someone cries SCAM!!! when it happens.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

What  others are saying is imo the right answer.Don't worry  about a meaningless hype meter ,it should have no effect on what games you play anyhow because your choices would be your own or i hope they are.

For the record,i do not for one second believe mmorpg has any influence on the hype meter but at the same time it is a  poorly implemented tool.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    The hypemeter calculation system has been broken/wonky/odd for at least six years, if not more. Was talking with one of the original guys from MMORPG.com about it at EVE Fanfest 2006 and he explained how it works.. or doesn't work for the most part. It was never designed to handle the amount of data it's working with. At least I think that was the reason. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by M4ko
    Originally posted by turinmacleod

Color me surprised.

T

When you make MMORPG.com your #1 source for all MMO news and development then Id say hype meter has to hold some value.

More like your #1 source for being late with all breaking news relating to anything MMO.

• ChochChoch Member UncommonPosts: 157

In order to accuse a game of 'hype meter manipulation' then 2 things need to be true.

1) The games hype meter would need to reflect a drastic fluctuation in the hype meter in a short period of time.

2) There needs to be a coordinated effort to target mmorpg.com hype meter to actually 'manipulate' the meter.

I've been following ToA since January 2013 and none of these are true for ToA. Trials of Ascension has been consistently between 8.08-8.15 for the last 12-15 months and there haven't been ANY threads within the ToA forums to get people to hype-up the meter.

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by M4ko
    THen why is this game in top 10 games on MMORPG .com list?

Because....you didn't use your common sense. So its not manipulated, so its based on some DATA coming from this website. Now I automatically assume its gotta be comments and forum posts related to this game. 

So, following common sense. I go to this forum..Lets see, 1 recent post with 88 replies..hmm thats quite a lot. compare this to some other game forums. yes seems like quite a lot.....

Wow mystery solved and we didnt even call Scooby.......

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

The hype meter is based on people who rate the game's hype. Generally speaking, bigger games with more publicity are going to have more fans, but also more haters. So while a bigger game might get 1,000 perfect 10 hype scores (just to use random numbers) it will also get 1,000 perfect 0s bring it in at an average of 5.

A smaller game, most people aren't going to bother even looking at it let alone taking their time to bad mouth it. Only the real fans are generally going to come and rate it's hype. So there might be only 100 perfect 10s and then 10 perfect 0s which would make it what? like a 9 or something? lol I don't feel like figuring out, but you get the idea.

I'm pretty sure the hype meter is based on the same thing as the post-launch player review score which is just average score. Has nothing to do with the amount of page hits or anything.