Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

bought FFXIV in the steam sale

GennerallGennerall Member Posts: 46
Enjoying it more than any mmo i've played recently and definitely more than wildstar. curious to see whether many people pick it up because of the sale I just hope to see the game maintaining its population i guess

Comments

• BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
    OR just a regular steam sale to get the tiny bit squeeze out of an exhausted title.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

I enjoyed it to at the start, but then it got old fast, the combat was way too slow, couldn't even read chat in the cities cause gold spammers would make the screen move at a 10000 messages per second, and the loot is really boring in the game.

But I agree it has its good points, and with a few tweaks the game could be a lot better, well at least for my style of play.

• RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Should have picked it up from gamestop for 12.99 lol

Kick to the Face.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i own two copies of the pc game (got one when 1.0 came out for like 20 bucks, and got the 2.0 for 15 bucks after launch. No need for another sale but when the game goes on sale on PS4 that will be an instant buy to move my characters there. So far FFXIV seems like the only sub mmo (besides wow) that i would like to resub.

• NellusNellus Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Really doubtful you'll see more than a small cluster of new players due to the steam sale. These days it seems like MMO players simply migrate from one game to the next, and any chance at a notable increase in players is out the window once the next game releases. On top of that it was on sale for $15 a while back, perhaps winter? Not positive on the timing, but I remember considering it. The $21 price tag is fine, but if a discount was going to spark a resurgence it would have happened already.

- Nellus

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by BalianWolfie
    OR just a regular steam sale to get the tiny bit squeeze out of an exhausted title.

The game is P2P, and relies mostly on the subscriptions, and far from being exhausted, they are still adding servers. It may not have WoW numbers, but it is a hugely successful game. It has a lot to commend itself to players and if reducing the games 'box price' encourages players to give it a go, then why not. Besides, if there is one thing that Steam does well is its sales and at 33% off, FFXIV is an absolute bargain, barely more than a months subscription, can't really say fairer than that image

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675

I do not think you have to worry about the player base right now.  I have seen a few people complain about population on the less popular servers, but I am on one of them (Lamia) and always see plenty of other players in every zone.

I am a little worried about the future since I guess they said they want to add "flight" to the game, and holy crap did flying mounts make WoW feel empty to me.  Adding flying is a great way to make sure you never see another player, imo.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    The steam sale won't majorly impact this games population and it is currently very healthy. FFXIV's playerbase has a decently large core of loyal subscribers followed by a smaller amount of people that will come and go between patches or years etc.  As long as Yoshi-P continues to do his thing this game will remain healthy and that core fanbase will stick. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    i jsut rejoined the game after a little break and honestly...i forgot how fun it was..though leveling is a pain in the butt, it is not as bad as some games. I am on cactaur (spelling) and its pretty busy.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    all the fixes and quality of life add on made this game more enjoyable for me. I also recently resubed and never looked back to be honest. 
  • BademBadem Member Posts: 830
    Originally posted by Gennerall
    Enjoying it more than any mmo i've played recently and definitely more than wildstar. curious to see whether many people pick it up because of the sale I just hope to see the game maintaining its population i guess

Great time to pick it up to be honest, 2.3 is released 08/07 so get to see more content and the new classes as well

Originally posted by Entropy14

I enjoyed it to at the start, but then it got old fast, the combat was way too slow, couldn't even read chat in the cities cause gold spammers would make the screen move at a 10000 messages per second, and the loot is really boring in the game.

But I agree it has its good points, and with a few tweaks the game could be a lot better, well at least for my style of play.

Really? I play daily and rarely get RMT spam, indeed they take action regularly to ban RMT accounts.

Originally posted by Slackker
    Really doubtful you'll see more than a small cluster of new players due to the steam sale. These days it seems like MMO players simply migrate from one game to the next, and any chance at a notable increase in players is out the window once the next game releases. On top of that it was on sale for $15 a while back, perhaps winter? Not positive on the timing, but I remember considering it. The $21 price tag is fine, but if a discount was going to spark a resurgence it would have happened already.

Factor in 2.3 release in 3 weeks, meaning players buying during the sale will get to experience that update as well (Ninja and Rogue being released)

• panglicarpanglicar Member UncommonPosts: 7
    How long do you have to wait in queues now for dungeons? At launch (2nd launch) i remember waiting up to 70 min in queues. Pretty much the main reason i left the game, wasting half my play time waiting in queues.
  • MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    If you don't send a lot of tells the best way to beat the gilsellers is type /busy.
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by Badem

Factor in 2.3 release in 3 weeks, meaning players buying during the sale will get to experience that update as well (Ninja and Rogue being released)

Well actually rogue/ninja isn't coming out in 2.3 it's coming out in 2.4.

But 2.3 is still out July 8th?

Guess it is a 6 week wait for NIN/ROG then

• ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 271
    it's a solid game.  wish more games allowed you to change classes.  I hate rolling alts.  
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Originally posted by MagikrorriM
    If you don't send a lot of tells the best way to beat the gilsellers is type /busy.

Thanks for this tip, I have been adding them to my blacklist and periodically going back and removing deleted characters from it to make room, but this sounds like a better idea.  In major cities and high level zones I get gil spam roughly every 5 minutes unless I keep blocking them all.  I see their posts about banning the sellers every day but  I would like a "report" button from the right click menu.

Edit:  And to demo above me - it really is impressive what squenix pulled off with this.  This is not my ideal MMORPG by any stretch, but it really does seem to me that yoshi p and crew have gone above and beyond to make it the best at what it is in every way they can.  This is a solid themepark that is beautiful and immersive, offering a lot of ways to progress with a lot of story and character.  It is worth a look from any MMO fan at this sale price, though it has been even lower in the past.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Its a great game and honestly the only pure themepark I can stomach. This game will easily be the best themepark on the market after its first and second expansions. And if you haven't played the game in months they made alot of quality of life additions to the game. I left for about six months and am quite happy I'm back.  I never feel bad about spending money on this game at all and its a fun time waster. As an rper I am also enjoying myself on Balmung, the games unofficial rp server. If you are even half a themepark or Final Fantasy fan I suggest playing this game. Jrpgs have always been themeparky by definition and if you are playing a themepark you might as well play one that has always been such in the genre.

They are promising that the expansion will be just as big as the relaunch, it will also have the additional tank and healer classes, the new big battle areas are coming in that allow 24vs24vs24 pvp, the new NInja and rogue classes/jobs, and soon Gold Saucer and airships as well as personal housing and personal fc rooms will drop. If you aren't playing anything right now play this. And if the combat is "too slow' I highly suggest playing a Pugilist/Monk. There is no tag targeting fighting classic style that is more involved than that combination.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Best MMO on the market right now IMO and Ive been playing MMO's for over 12 years.  Ive tried Wildstar and TESO and both have nothing on FFXIV.  Can also say Ive found this to be one of the best communities in any MMO Ive played, people are helpful and there is no "Barren's chat".  
  • bsukalabsukala Member UncommonPosts: 36
    This is the best themepark MMO. I purchased Wildstar but it could only keep me interested for a few days. There is just so much to do in ARR to keep you busy.
  • M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385
    Originally posted by Gennerall

How can you knowingly buy an MMORPG when it's been out for a while already? I mean i know how, I just dont see why peopel waste time on MMOS if they are not striving for something while playing them.

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

Pretty much this.

MMO's tend to have a window after they launch. If they do not impress anyone or not enough people within this window, then the game often "Flops" or goes F2P to earn as much as they can on the nearly dead title. Some games survive the F2P transfer, others...not so much.

With so many MMO's to choose from anymore and always more on the horizon it doesn't really surprise me that people move on so fast to the "Bigger and better", which often times...is just hype.

Thus the vicious cycle continues.

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by bsukala
    This is the best themepark MMO. I purchased Wildstar but it could only keep me interested for a few days. There is just so much to do in ARR to keep you busy.

As someone who reached max level in both games I would greatly disagree.

Wildstar has quite a bit more content and replayability than FF.

Not saying FF is bad in any way. I think it is one of the greatest examples of a remake in the history of MMO's. Props to them for doing that, but in terms of flat out content, it has quite a bit less. 

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

Welcome to Eorzea! After becoming tired of WoW this out of all the mmo's is the only one that I've stayed more than 3 months. The content updates are great, there's plenty to do right now and plenty of content on its way. I might return to see WoD, but think that this is my new home.