Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full Alpha Access

Xenx656Xenx656 Member UncommonPosts: 55

For anyone waiting for the game you can get in now for $150

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/205309274/1402248910

Comments

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Any idea how long this will last?

EDIT: Nevermind. I assume it's july 31st https://www.therepopulation.com/crowdfunding/

• M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385
    $150 to go back into 2004 and play one of the many SCIFI MMOS of those days? No thanks. It isnt worth more than $20 according to all the media theyve released.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

$150.00 is a bit pricey. I'll wait for release..... no telling if it is a cash grab or whether the project will flop. Not worth MY gamble.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Originally posted by M4ko
    $150 to go back into 2004 and play one of the many SCIFI MMOS of those days? No thanks. It isnt worth more than $20 according to all the media theyve released.

I can pretty much guarantee there has never been a game like this before. Just labeling one as "sci-fi" doesn't count.

• M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385
    Originally posted by Holophonist

I can pretty much guarantee there has never been a game like this before. Just labeling one as "sci-fi" doesn't count.

not one, but a combination of all of them.

Well you did say you can "go back into 2004 and play one of the many scifi mmos of those days"

TR boasts a list of features I've never seen in one game before. ever. Yes, it is reminiscent of a lot of oldschool sandbox games, which is a GOOD thing. It looks very much like they're taking the best of SWG, UO, Shadowbane, etc. If you like these types of games, how could you NOT be excited about this? If you don't like these types of games, then this game isn't for you, and you can promptly leave these forums and stop spewing misinformation and needless pessimism.  

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

US$150?? well, sorry to say, but this kind of feature in order to get you access is getting ridiculous, just like ArcheAge, a game that is almost 4 years old, and then making you pay 150 for Alpha.

still, i have high hopes for Repop, i truly do, and i will 100% play this when its full release, hell ill even use the cash shop if the game turns out to be really good, but sorry for now i dont think i will do 150 for alpha

all the best for those who will, and we all depend on you to make sure you guys give a good feedback to make the game awesome

So What Now?

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by TweFoju

US$150?? well, sorry to say, but this kind of feature in order to get you access is getting ridiculous, just like ArcheAge, a game that is almost 4 years old, and then making you pay 150 for Alpha.

still, i have high hopes for Repop, i truly do, and i will 100% play this when its full release, hell ill even use the cash shop if the game turns out to be really good, but sorry for now i dont think i will do 150 for alpha

all the best for those who will, and we all depend on you to make sure you guys give a good feedback to make the game awesome

You got guaranteed early BETA access with a $50 Kickstarter Pledge which i got about a year ago.

Now they are milking it for ALPHA which is a little weird if you ask me since the original Pledge was $50 and BETA and now it's suddenly Alpha.

----

It's disgusting.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Kangaroomouse
    Originally posted by TweFoju

You got guaranteed early BETA access with a $50 Kickstarter Pledge which i got about a year ago.

Now they are milking it for ALPHA which is a little weird if you ask me since the original Pledge was $50 and BETA and now it's suddenly Alpha.

----

It's disgusting.

<post deleted>

EDIT: Whoops, wrong forum...

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Well you did say you can "go back into 2004 and play one of the many scifi mmos of those days"

TR boasts a list of features I've never seen in one game before. ever. Yes, it is reminiscent of a lot of oldschool sandbox games, which is a GOOD thing. It looks very much like they're taking the best of SWG, UO, Shadowbane, etc. If you like these types of games, how could you NOT be excited about this? If you don't like these types of games, then this game isn't for you, and you can promptly leave these forums and stop spewing misinformation and needless pessimism.  

It's a horrible game though with bad animations and combat using the Hero Engine.

yup, it definitely isnt a game for people who weight cover over content

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

And you still do, but the game isn't in beta. It wasn't in beta before. There was also no way to purchase alpha access at that point. At that stage the game was in very early testing and hand picking experienced alpha testers from the testing pool.
  • RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744
    Some people have 150 to play early, some don't. A small indie needs to make money some how. Even with Archeage, if you have the money to do it, why not. Me personally I didn't like Archeage, played Russian beta. I'd drop 150 to play this alpha if I had the money, tons of videos and twitch feeds have sold me. Not sure why some people are crying about it. Also it's not just access you get lots of cool pre-order stuff.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Lol.  What are you talking about?  What in the world do you want in a game if this doesn't have enough features?

Edit:  I will be waiting for release to play any and all titles...except free open beta of course.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    well it looks like everybody is now trying to cash in on the "join alfa/beta for 150$" lol no ..pass n keep passing till devs and game industry gets a clue
  • ArcheAge2014ArcheAge2014 Member UncommonPosts: 135

anyone remember earthrise? how that game turn out?

do they stream this game on twitch tv?

screenshots? how about streaming it on twitch tv? anymore you tube video footages on this game?

what are the features? do they work? stream the gfameplay and features on twitch tv i want to see them also stream combat footage.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by ArcheAge2014

screenshots? how about streaming it on twitch tv? anymore you tube video footages on this game?

what are the features? do they work? stream the gfameplay and features on twitch tv i want to see them also stream combat footage.

It is under NDA. So even if you pay $150 to play it, you cant talk about it...

• NineFuriesNineFuries Member Posts: 33

This is pathetic.   Looks like 150 is the going rate now that companies have realized they can get away with charging for incomplete games that languish in alpha/beta phases for who knows how long.

Spending 150 on any completed game is something I would never do.  Much less an INCOMPLETE game that has no guarantee of ever reaching "released" status.  Is this what PC gaming has devolved into?  So tired of all the early access games on steam and all their "potential".   I don't fucking want potential.  I want a goddamn fully functional working game.

Obviously this plan is working out great for companies as more and more seem to be jumping on this bandwagon.  It's a shame that gamer's these days are so damn gullible.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

I wonder why they decided on $150?!

Their kickstarter was only 50k unless I'm mistaken which is pretty humble but this...

Makes it look like they don't intend to develop the game further and just cash in on what they have made so far, but that is just my opinion.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by NineFuries

This is pathetic.   Looks like 150 is the going rate now that companies have realized they can get away with charging for incomplete games that languish in alpha/beta phases for who knows how long.

Spending 150 on any completed game is something I would never do.  Much less an INCOMPLETE game that has no guarantee of ever reaching "released" status.  Is this what PC gaming has devolved into?  So tired of the all the early access games on steam and all their "potential".   I don't fucking want potential.  I want a goddamn fully functional working game.

Obviously this plan is working out great for companies as more and more seem to be jumping on this bandwagon.  It's a shame that gamer's these days are so damn gullible.

Not too long ago Minecraft and Mount and Blade did it the other way around, they sold it cheaper while they developed it and they  increased the price as features were added. In my opinion it makes much more sense.

• CKPlayGameCKPlayGame Member UncommonPosts: 33

just check their official website out for videos and features

Skill base progression, old school rpg elements in Sci Fi theme (there are hidden missions for those who react with npc often enough etc), DEEP crafting plus true player driven economy (equipments wear out and you have to buy from players), Sci Fi theme (oh did I mention it already?), Sci Fi theme (opps did I mention it again?), optional hardcore PvP (full loot on hardcore server)

The only reason stopping me from pay the 150 is that I am concerned if, even if it gets released, it may end up like earth and beyond, shutting down expectedly all a sudden despite it being a good game, and that I prefer to pay for a full game.

Originally posted by ArcheAge2014

Yes to all of the above. If you'd  click on their website and spend  as much time as you have typing up this misinformed post, maybe you would not have to bother posting?

Spending 150 on any completed game is something I would never do.  Much less an INCOMPLETE game that has no guarantee of ever reaching "released" status.  Is this what PC gaming has devolved into?  So tired of the all the early access games on steam and all their "potential".   I don't fucking want potential.  I want a goddamn fully functional working game.

No one forcing you to pay anything. 150 to play the game 6 months before release and get exclusive in game items is not that much. No different than buying Wildstar or TESO and subbing 6 months. If you can't afford it just say it, don't mock others for what they want to do with their money.

Originally posted by Retired

No one forcing you to pay anything. 150 to play the game 6 months before release and get exclusive in game items is not that much. No different than buying Wildstar or TESO and subbing 6 months. If you can't afford it just say it, don't mock others for what they want to do with their money.

Your whole post is just you rationalizing away spending 150$ to alpha test someone else's game.  Those devs are probably snorting lines of coke off strippers tits using the cash you gave them lol.  I think I can  hear them screamin out "SUUUCKKKERSSSS!"

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

I wanted to touch on this for a moment. While the strippers and coke joke never gets old, the reality is that the amount of money generated from these things is more in the range of being able to hire a couple additional hands. I wanted to tackle the reasoning here though.

Why Charge For Alpha?

We originally did not allow players to buy into alpha because the game was in a very early state at that point and we needed experienced testers Now it's closer to the end of alpha testing and we needed more eyes on the game. We moved some of the previous backer tiers to gain access and then we needed more testers so began allowing a $150 option to buy in. Why have the barrier at all? Because we don't want thousands of testers at a time right now. The game has a lot of bugs that need fixing still and there are some features that are still being refined, as well as some areas that lack content. You'd rather not have as many eyes on the game until you resolve most of those issues because to today's player beta = open beta. The average player isn't used to alpha testing and dealing with works in progress. So having that barrier allows us to a) generate money to hire additional help, and b) to limit the number of testers which would quickly get out of control if we say sold that access on steam for cheaper.

Why Would Players Want to Pay?

I'm not here to sell people to buy into alpha. The truth is, if you are easily put off by bugs, your better off waiting until beta or launch. The value of being in at an alpha stage for players is the chance to provide their feedback when the game is an early stage. As any of our testers would probably tell you, we do listen to player feedback and there are adjustments that are made based on it. That's a lot easier to do and experiment though when there are less players. By the time the game reaches beta it will be strictly in refinement and content mode. If that's something you desire then maybe it's worth it for you as a player. If it's not then you may want to wait for beta or launch. The option is there because some players want it, but it isn't meant for everyone to hop in and purchase it. For some players it will be worth the cost of admission, others would be better off waiting.

To be fair,  I'm not at all against you guys turning a profit and if the market is buying then its simple economics here.  Here's to hoping this money will go towards making it an even better experience.  I want the game to do well and I want the experience to be second to none.  Yes, my expectations are high.  I want every bang for my buck I can get.

Contact me when its around 20$.