Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My God, how do you get past playing a cartoon?

Comments

• Insurgent99Insurgent99 Member Posts: 58

If you guys hate the graphics so much, then by all means go and play ESO or something similar!

PROBLEM SOLVED!

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Okay, so if I understand it correctly, I'm ignorant, clueless, and unintelligent.  That may all be true.  However, jumping to conclusions about my educational background and lowering yourselves to name calling doesn't reflect well either.  With that, I'll try to circle back around to my original points.

1.  The game's art style is cartoony (for clarification - not childish -- just cartoony).

2.  I believe the graphics are sub par for the genre.  (again for clarification - my opinion based on my personal preferences).

3.  The only question I asked was how do you get past the cartoony graphics to enjoy the game.

To those of you who responded to the question, thank you!  I enjoyed the responses and can understand how the story might pull one into the game and push the graphics to the background.  I guess that's a big part of the issue for me.  I'm not really getting into the game, and the initial shock of the poor graphics (based on my opinion)  is pushing me away.

To the others, it's okay.  Whether or not I like the graphics or the game itself changes nothing for you.  Don't feel obligated to attack someone just because they have a differing opinion. 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    There is a lot of detail in Wildstar. Take the settler enhancements for instance. The run speed one has a little red guy pumping his tiny red feet off for all he is worth. When you go inside a cave you come across someone's cosy den and go in and have a look at the details on the table the chair the mold on the corner and the periodicals and other paraphernalia he might own. Eldan areas again a lot of very interesting things you might miss if just kill and run. The experiments and notes that a lab has of course the wonderful lore that is very much a part of this great game. Try reading the notes they are very funny inclusive of the comments often made by the NPCs. Pity your inability to get over the art is preventing you from enjoying the game.

• JOverlordJOverlord Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by Deathstrike2

Okay, so if I understand it correctly, I'm ignorant, clueless, and unintelligent.  That may all be true.  However, jumping to conclusions about my educational background and lowering yourselves to name calling doesn't reflect well either.  With that, I'll try to circle back around to my original points.

1.  The game's art style is cartoony (for clarification - not childish -- just cartoony).

2.  I believe the graphics are sub par for the genre.  (again for clarification - my opinion based on my personal preferences).

3.  The only question I asked was how do you get past the cartoony graphics to enjoy the game.

To those of you who responded to the question, thank you!  I enjoyed the responses and can understand how the story might pull one into the game and push the graphics to the background.  I guess that's a big part of the issue for me.  I'm not really getting into the game, and the initial shock of the poor graphics (based on my opinion)  is pushing me away.

To the others, it's okay.  Whether or not I like the graphics or the game itself changes nothing for you.  Don't feel obligated to attack someone just because they have a differing opinion. 

You get past it by playing the game. Easy as that.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Leiloni

Then don't emulate humans and create unique races with different animations like TERA did. The races don't even run the same way lol. It's called creativity. You can have high quality graphics (and IMO the lack of details in Wildstar is awful), with good art style (TERA, Aion, FFXIV, etc.) and still have really great animations (which both of those games have). It doesn't have to look weird at all if it's designed well and done creatively. It's just in my opinion, something that Western game developers suck at royally (personally I think Western devs suck at a lot of things, but that's another topic). Play games made elsewhere and you'll be amazed at what's possible.

Ugh, I hate how most non-Western game characters look *shudder*. Sure there is room for improvement since most Western-made games seem to have animations that make characters look like they are running around with something stuck up in some part of their anatomy, but so far I have not played a game from Asia where I thought "wow these animations and characters are so amazing-looking!". I am talking about games in general, not just MMORPGs.

Some of the Asian-made games have nice environments though. Thankfully, a lot of the Asian-made single player games are fun so in the end it is about the gameply, not the graphics.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by oldphart
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    *snip*

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that date:

"Wait, you play video games?"

"it's ok, I only play the games that have realistic graphics. My character is a Dark elf Shadow Knight and let me tell you all about it!!!!

+1 

LOL I think I'm going to simulate this conversation the next time I pick up on a girl.

In Asia that would probably get you laid...

The west still frowns upon video games in the same way the previous generation frowned on heavy metal thinking they are the root cause of teen violence.

In Asia it's the gamers who are the rockstars! Irony...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Leiloni
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Arclan

The graphics are such a turn off for me, I can't get past them.  Call them stylized if you like, but to me they're cartoons.  And not good ones at that.  BLAH!  I just can't do it anymore...

Same here. I see cartoony graphics as silly and game-like; and realistic graphics as virtual-world-like. When it comes to MMORPGs, I prefer the latter.

The major issue with realistic graphics is that they generally introduce game-breaking animation issues. Unfortunately human movements, emotion, etc. are really difficult to capture. Ask anyone at EA Sports *BURN* We're pretty good at animating cartoons, plus humans have pretty much come to grips that things that cartoons do tend not to be realistic, so we tend to accept the animation issues.

Then don't emulate humans and create unique races with different animations like TERA did. The races don't even run the same way lol. It's called creativity. You can have high quality graphics (and IMO the lack of details in Wildstar is awful), with good art style (TERA, Aion, FFXIV, etc.) and still have really great animations (which both of those games have). It doesn't have to look weird at all if it's designed well and done creatively. It's just in my opinion, something that Western game developers suck at royally (personally I think Western devs suck at a lot of things, but that's another topic). Play games made elsewhere and you'll be amazed at what's possible.

Love TERA, meh on Aion, haven't played FFXIV yet. As far as creativity, I would expect games to have something more than humans, obviously. I didn't really explain well, but when it's photo-realistic we make assumptions, drawing from what we know of the world. So everything on 4-legs automatically gets lumped into a category (ie, it's a dog! it's a cat! it's a cow! ). However, we allow for creative liberties with cartoons. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not harping on games that attempt photo-realism. I actually just got through with ESO and I was actually pretty impressed with the graphics overall. I might, actually, be in agreement with you (although art style isn't really a deal-breaker for me). I think that cartoons are actually the easy way out, simply because of the creative liberties they afford you. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234

The graphics are such a turn off for me, I can't get past them.  Call them stylized if you like, but to me they're cartoons.  And not good ones at that.  BLAH!  I just can't do it anymore...

currently playing: Champions Online

Not sure if the OP is being completely honest here since CO is basically a comic book and just as cartoony as WildStar 

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I would have to say that if the game mechanics are not grabbing you and you dislike the artstyle too and can't see past it, the game is not for you. Maybe it is just best to find a different game?

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by dRock425

Hahaha!  So good!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    I kinda like cartoony graphics.  It's a fun game, not too serious, so for me, the graphics style is perfect.  Kind of like when I played DarkFall - the graphics and character models fit well.  Even ESOP - more "realistic" character models and such fir the atmosphere.  For me, at least, Wildstar's cartoony style is appealing.
  • orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

I didn't ...same reason I won't be playing.

• RedCurryRedCurry Member UncommonPosts: 70
    There's really an amazing level of detail. It's very artistic on many levels. Too bad many can't and won't see that.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

If you loved the game you would not be applying so much weight to the graphics, to your taste on not.

yup its opinion, the graphics are pretty damn gorgeous from my point of view, but im also enjoying the game as well and am getting into the story, so the locations have a bit of meaning and not just pixels.

You dont, dont play a game you don't like.

If  a person buys a music album then realises that they don't like the style,  the normal behaviour is to simply not play it any more - bad judgement call, but here we have people who have to post on forums asking how to get 'past it' and having the need to share with the world that they don't like a thing -  not because its not to their taste, but because the game is wrong in that it does not meet their taste.  There's a difference between poor implementation and style.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

im in the same boat..i bought the hype and now i have 4 toons at around lvl 25ish ..

at 1st i was loving it with the pvp crafting and doing some quests but now pvp is full of bots going 0-15 or ppl that dont even bother and just there for a quick loss to get gravy xp and trying to rush to max lvl

the crafting was meh now i have 3 toons that have out crafted their lvl

questing isnt even questing anymore..its more like tedious tasks like press this click that kill% of this come back..i dont mind it but when everything feels the same..well its the same

i didnt want to buy it cuz of the grafix its really not my style but i caved in and bought it but now the cartoonish-ness is killing me iv gotten to the point i cant bare it

i really cant see why ppl keep saying WAIT TILL50! the game really takes off! ...well i want to play a game to have fun ..this game has become more of a task than a game imo for me atleast and havent logged in a week

dont get me wrong i LOVE sandboxes i love the grind in them ...but if im in a theampark i wanna have fun in it

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    the graphics are the best thing they have done in that game.

^ I agree entirely.  Everything cosmetic in the game is good, everything else, not so good.  

• The aoe telegraphing results in one huge clusterfuck in pvp, that is when it is not full of bots or afk'ers.
    • The questing (by whatever name it goes, zone, path, challenge etc) just feels ten years out of date, is generic and quite tedious.  The pathing between quests means you walk the same ground over and over and the fact you are offered far more quests than you will ever need does not equate to choice because they are all the same.  
    • The risk/reward in dungeons is all wrong to the point you are effectively penalised for playing them.  There are too few of them and those there are serve too narrow a level range.
    • The aoe telegraphing as a combat system really boils down using damage a couple of times, interrupting a telegraphed move, repeat ad nauseam.  Having telegraphs in different sizes and shapes really does not add much interest.      
    But houses are nice.  
  • danxdanx Member UncommonPosts: 15

Everyone is coming down hard on the OP because of his choice of words.  There is no actual 'realisitic' graphics, just different styles.  The cartoony style he talks about, the kind in this game are called what?  Styalized or something like that.  But we all know what he means.  He doesn't mean the game is childish or is for kids because of the cartoon look.  And just like he doesn't mean other games look realistic.  I don't think I would play any game and it be realistic enough for me to wonder if I was playing a game or watching something someone filmed.  All games are some type of cartoon style.  But the vocabulary just isn't there, or isn't known well enough to put the different ones into categories.  So he calls it a cartoon and others realistic.

It's just words and descriptions.  No reason for everyone to get up in arms because you love a game and someone else doesn't like the type of graphics.  Personally I don't want to play the game either because the style of graphics, to me isn't what I'm used to or what I prefer.  I think for me it would take away some of the immersion of the game and therefore take away how much I would enjoy it.  Same with Anime, I can't stand that style, it is just too distracting and would take away my fun, so I don't play games that use that style or watch anime.  I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not my preference. 

I'm old, I've been playing mmo's since I was a teen.  So 20+ years.  I started playing 'The Realm' during alpha testing.  Moved on to UO when it first came out, EQ, etc.  So I've been around, played them all.  And mmo's have changed a lot over the last 20 years.  Some good changes, some bad.  I think there has been a lot of changes because the target audience has changed.  Game makes seem to think that mmo's are only for the younger crowd, and they were at first.  But that younger audience has got older but most of us haven't given up on mmo's.  We are still here, we still play.  We don't have the mass numbers of the current younger generations, but we are still around.  And from a business standpoint, I'd do the same thing, target the games to the biggest audience. 

Over the past several years no game has really held my attention for long periods of time.  I can remember marathon eq1 or UO sessions, playing for 48 hours straight.  But these days not only do I not have the stamina, or time to do that, but the games don't hold my interest enough.  I'm a very casual gamer now.  I'd love for something to come out that would jeopardize my job because I didn't want to go to work but wanted to stay home and play.  But the way the genre is now, I don't think that will be happening anytime soon.

Sorry I got off topic. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

You look at the box

Check if the game has cartoony graphics

Put it back on the shelves...

or you can just check the internets, saves you a trip to the shop

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Yay! Another pathetic post from a lonesome soul who cannot admit to themselves that they want to play a cartoon-artistically-stylized game. Don't worry, you'll play anonymously... we get it and understand. Proclaim your hatred for stylized art, stomp your foot against looking at unrealistic landscapes and oddball characters. We understand... and still don't care.
  • ICEBLUEICEBLUE Member UncommonPosts: 58

Not sure about most but I have been playing MMO's, well since before they were MMO's and I really like good graphics.

When a developer decides to make low end graphics to appease those players using very old hardware at the expense of the rest of us I don't think they do us or the MMO genre a service.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

If  a person buys a music album then realises that they don't like the style,  the normal behaviour is to simply not play it any more - bad judgement call, but here we have people who have to post on forums asking how to get 'past it' and having the need to share with the world that they don't like a thing -  not because its not to their taste, but because the game is wrong in that it does not meet their taste.  There's a difference between poor implementation and style.

What blows me away is...have they never heard of wow ? It didn't see to have any problems finding customers. How did 12 million subs and over 100 million people get past it there ?

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317
    Originally posted by ICEBLUE

Not sure about most but I have been playing MMO's, well since before they were MMO's and I really like good graphics.

When a developer decides to make low end graphics to appease those players using very old hardware at the expense of the rest of us I don't think they do us or the MMO genre a service.

And yet you still get dreadful fps on many high-end machines. 

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

most mmo 's players dont care for graphic ,we care for content  team work gameplay , players interactions

Best mmo's games on market are 10+ years old games .

+1

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

Never mind the graphics.  I fell for the hype and bought it, and believe me the graphics are the least of it's problems.

It feels like I have traveled back in time to play a pre-wow mmo.

In fact the game is a little like the graphics, messy, vulgar and horribly confusing.

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    I can get past playing a cartoon but not when it only plays at 20-30 fps on low when I can play something like guild wars 2 at its high settings at 60-70 fps which is a far more advanced graphical style game .