Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SE ends German and French Languages today.

KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

So SE has ended support for content for French and German languages today, which spells out another milestone for the end of FFXI.  a few years ago they shut down the PS2 version, and now are moving to shut down the German and French language support leaving only English and Japanese computer versions left for the game.

Its amazing the life cycle this game has had, and continues to have.   What does the German and French content language ending mean for the rest of the games life cycle?   I think in order for the game to continue another 10 more years, another modrenization of the game will have to be made to the game.   An entire makeover on a new system with a new UI that is modern.  

Its a sad day for German and French players, but the game continues on and FFXIV is always there for any French and German players who wish to continue with the FFXIV franchise.   I'm predicting this game to end in a few more years if no more updates to its system and UI are made.  But thats just me.

Comments

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I read about this a month or so ago when they first announced it, and they said most of their French and German playerbase had pretty much migrated to FFXIV, so I imagine they didn't feel the costs associated with localizing for those languages with such a small remaining population was worth it.
  • EiadoEiado Member UncommonPosts: 20

So it looks like there isn't anything to be Ashamed, Appalled, or Hurt by if SE really did release this info a month or so ago... I hope that means FFXI is going to be sticking around for awhile still, or at least as long as enough people are playing it to be worthwhile.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    Originally posted by Eiado

So it looks like there isn't anything to be Ashamed, Appalled, or Hurt by if SE really did release this info a month or so ago... I hope that means FFXI is going to be sticking around for awhile still, or at least as long as enough people are playing it to be worthwhile.

Yeah its amazing how the game populations have been over the years and resulting in what we have today.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Knotwood do you even speak any of those languages or are you just being offended for other people you don't even know. 

Your title should be Overly dramatic old new instead of what you decided on.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Knotwood
    Originally posted by Eiado

They were told about the low population number, but were not told they were going to discontinue the content languages until today.   Which should have had an advanced notice that it was going to be ending so they could say their goodbyes.

If you were playing the game you would have known about this some time ago, and all their doing is cutting support for languages that are no longer necessary. Its not like the game is shutting down so i don't really understand where this whole 'good byes' thing is coming from, FF XI is still going to be running, its just that the languages supported  are going to be reduced to 2, Japanese and English. That players are moving to FF XIV from FF XI is hardly surprising.image