Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leveling with orange gear?

RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475
I'm really not sure how best to go through this game if your new to the game and don't have the luxury of already having a maxed leveled character with loads of credits? I think trying to get new mods for orange gear is a real pain in the arse, it's even worse when your also trying to gear up your companions in the same way. I only know of the blue mods vendors in the level 10-20 places yet the best method of getting those is to do Flashpoints but doing that makes you miss a lot of the normal questing leveling, only other ways to get them is crafting and the auction house but the latter is too expensive even just for simple green mods.

Comments

• seldinseldin Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Seems pretty easy to me.  I just planetary commendations that I earn on each planet to buy the mods or gears I need from those vendors at fleet.  Could not be easier
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by seldin
    Seems pretty easy to me.  I just planetary commendations that I earn on each planet to buy the mods or gears I need from those vendors at fleet.  Could not be easier

^this... Or pull them out of gear you get from Flash Points. It will cost some credits but not a lot. You might even find moded gear from questing... Same deal, pull the superior mods and replace your current set.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222
    Originally posted by seldin

People keep saying that, but you simply don't get enough planetary comms. It takes 7 to get armor, and then 2 each for the mod and enhancement.

You have 7 armor slots, so you need 49 just for the armor. Then for mods, 5 have both mod/enhancement, so that's another 20. And then 2 just have mods, so another 4. That's 73 just for your armor.

Then your weapon and offhand also have 11 each. So you'd need 95 for a full set of gear. And then you need to gear your companion the same amount.

Usually I would get maybe 25 per planet, just enough to upgrade 3 pieces of armor (the armor only).

So I took up Cybertech and made my armor (and mods) and just used the planetary comms for weapons and enhancements

edit: Math fail

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• jw2252jw2252 Member Posts: 34
    I played during the first month and what I did was simply grab orange gear while I could, and mod it.  Most (if not every I don't remember) quests let you choose between gear and commendations, always take the commendations.  As you finish planets buy mods for your lowest level gear.  So say you upgrade boots, chest piece, and head gear on one planet, you'll upgrade the rest of your gear on the next.  During the leveling process your gear really doesn't matter much so doing this will keep you on par, and you can fill in any glaring gaps with gear found in flashpoints.  I don't know if the market has been broken or not since i've played, but with how many credits I was making I could easily buy mods and such on the AH.  Also make sure to every so often update your main companions gear.  Remember though, you don't have to do much during the leveling phase of the game.  Through normal play you'll organically gain the gear you need to hit cap without having to go way out of your way. 
  • hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    You can also convert war zones coms into planetery coms.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    With orange gear you wont be able to have all updated mods for each new level range but rotating out your worst ones you can easily be geared enough to do any of the content.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    With orange gear you wont be able to have all updated mods for each new level range but rotating out your worst ones you can easily be geared enough to do any of the content.

Yeah. I think it's about 3 mods a level. Costing 7/2 planetary coms depending on mod. I was never short of them as I leveled primarily doing FPs. Never had less than 40 at a time.

• DrucalionDrucalion Member UncommonPosts: 22

Tbh, you can get away with updating the mods with planetary comm severy 5 lvls or so, also augment your gear with augmentation kits etc. if you are low on credits but have money in real life you could always buy stuff off the cartel market and then sell it on the GTN ( stuff you buy from cartel Market is bound for 36 hours but then you can put it on the GTN ). If you don't want to spend real money then get some professions like scavenging and sell the mats on GTN, some good prices for low lvl mats because not many people  scavenging at lower levels and lots of people with alts to buy it.

• AtrigoAtrigo Member Posts: 44

You can also grind heroics daily to get more comms. It can slow you down your progression down a bit, but it works

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

So I took up Cybertech and made my armor (and mods) and just used the planetary comms for weapons and enhancements

Pretty much this. You'll be able to level up in full orange gear and look spiffy, though the mods will still be a few levels behind you since the mats that come from scavenging at-level tiers are harvested from planets at your level, and unless you skip ahead to farm droids, you'll have a full set around the time you finish that planet.

It's a bit awkward, but doable if you're starting from scratch and don't want to farm dungeons/war zones.