Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe Show 5/10

Comments

• uggeh12uggeh12 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by kitarad
    When GW 2 was released the recent topics on this forum was filled for about a month with almost every second  thread on GW 2 .I notice ESO has dwindled much faster in number of threads in comparison to GW2. GW2 also had its fair share of hate but it kept its popularity longer on these forums because I suspect more people were playing it. ESO has lost ground much faster.

I like to use Twitch.tv as a way of telling how well a game is or isn't doing for the first few months after release and it's been pretty grim for ESO. ESO lost most of the big name streamers after about 1-2 weeks and then slowly bled off the majority of the remaining 3-5 weeks after release. According to http://twitchstats.net/ the game started strong with 22k viewers on release day then averaged about 3-5k viewers for the next week or two and then dropped off to about 1k viewers and at the time of this posting is sitting at about 280ish viewers(about 150 viewers less than GW2 atm). Since ESO's release it has been steadily hemorrhaging both streamers and viewers on Twitch and I think is a pretty good indicator of the games health population wise.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by nightbird305

Angry Joe uploaded his review of ESO to Youtube. PVE got a 4/10 while PVP got a 7/10,  and he gave the game as a whole a score of 5/10, painfully average.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov3B26h12C4

"Around every corner is a new opportunity the game screws the f*** up"

LMAO!

I totally agree with his review though Im surprised he gave it a 5/10. Id say 4/10 at the most.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Thing is that he might over react and tells his story with drama.
    Thats his style, so you like it or you dont :P

What he does say in his revieuw about ESO are also fundamental game mechanics that has major flaws and are not easy to patch...if it even can be patches...

To each his own style and his own preference of mmo's.
    To me ESO was fun up to level 50, from there on it became a boring do this do that for way to long.
    I wanted to pvp, compete with the best but needed to grind 2 complete factions i had no desire of doing...
    I also like alts, wich is another major drawback (why not gave complete freedom of skill choice to make your OWN class ? )
    You are not going to level an alt trough the same boring grind again.

This is not even speaking about leveling with a buddy due to phasing
    This is not about a bugged quest that stopped your progression
    This is not about weapon swap delay
    This is not about lag in both pve and Cyrodiil
    This is not about no european servers who were promised to be there 2 weeks post launch.
    This is not about my 1st class the Nightblade who is still not fixed 2 months post launch
    And i could continue with shit like that for quite some time....
    Most of this crap will get fixed !

ESO had 1 chanse to pull in the masses and keep those players bound to Zenimax.
    But so many people left disapointed and most wont ever come back...

Does ESO has good stuff ? aye it has...but by no means does it offer something other mmo's do not.
    This mmo should have done stuff no other mmo has done, but Zenimax delivered nothing special and played it safe...

Their communication is fubar....
    We understand new mmo's suffer from launchdays / week.
    But come on....a few words go a long way...

In the end i think ESO is not going to make it as a subscription game as it offers to little for a to high price.
    Toss in the dredfull solo expirience for 250 hours trough alot of boring questing before reaching endgame or pvp and you can see that Zenimax might have a big problem on their hands.

Not to mention Wildstar / Archeage / Warlords of Dreanor that are comming out in the following weeks / months.

I think Angry Joe made solid points and dint trash it into the ground becuase he hated this mmo....he is still playing ESO but he is just disapointed like many of us.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

gotta agreed with joe.

average game without soul.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    I found it to be a spot on review. I would have given PVE a 3/10 right now and PVP a 6/10 but it's all popcorn chat in the end as we are quibbling over one rating point in each case.  It's a painfully average game that will get a ton fo flack for failing to be great and live up to the original license.

Yeah I just watched the first 15 minutes and it seemed spot on to what I witnessed in beta. He goes over the money grab and then hammers the phasing/grouping/zerging issues. In my case my opinion was even stronger and I was more right than Joe. I never purchased it, the group phasing is a total deal breaker and he couldn't explain it any better than he did. What he said there is DITTO on my end, every point and every emotion.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    The thing is this game is pretty good, for a GW 1 type instanced game with carefully limited number of people in each zone/dungeon etc. However they thought they could turn it into an MMO and that is where it failed. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Yamota
    The thing is this game is pretty good, for a GW 1 type instanced game with carefully limited number of people in each zone/dungeon etc. However they thought they could turn it into an MMO and that is where it failed. 

Even with limited number of players the dungeons just wouldn't work. In the open world, maybe but the dungeons would still need to be way more interesting.

Anyways, it is too late for that, but if they get rid of most of the phasing they could still make the open world PvE way more fun and useful and while that also would take some work it can be done.

Also, they really should rework the VR levels, and there is really no use to have the same character run over the 2 other factions zones. 

As for the dungeons, I would just leave the current ones as they are and make a few more classic MMO dungeons for groups. Fixing the ones around would take years while adding a few epic dungeons could be done way faster.

It do seems like they made many compromises between classic MMO and TES content, but compromises rarely makes people happy. The game can still be fixed though, FFXIV was after all and it turned out fine but the question is if Zenimax will care.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

And here is another opinion (mine) that won't matter either as todays game players have no clue.

I for one love this game. It has been the best experience for me in an MMO in a very long time. It feels so good to feel like a noob again as eso's learning curve is quite pleasantly a bit steep.

I like the game so much actually that I have bought 3 of my long time rl friends a copy as well and we are all having a blast playing together and actually discovering innovative ways of helping each other out. Was in BETA and have been subscribed since launch. We all have numerous characters and all in their mid 20's levelwise. People who rip through game content and never even try to get into the immersion or read any of the lore or listen through any npc conversations will always totally miss the point of living in an alternate world and will never be satisfied with any game ever. Especially an MMO. And this is the reason MMO's fail to please modern day gamers. Although todays game developers are not concerned with quality gameplay mechanics like they once were and only seek to make money from the ignorant masses. When in all actuality it is mainly the players today that has created this effect due to their lack of imagination in playing MMO's . When players blast through the content the only thing left is constant questing and killing mobs. Of course they are going to complain and be unsatisfied with any game if they play that way.

Elder Scrolls Online is simply amazing if you take the time to appreciate it for what it delivers.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Loke666

It do seems like they made many compromises between classic MMO and TES content, but compromises rarely makes people happy. The game can still be fixed though, FFXIV was after all and it turned out fine but the question is if Zenimax will care.

FFXIV was not "fixed", so much as gutted and rebuilt over most of a couple years from the ground up.

The chances of that happening with ESO are basically nil.

• AredylAredyl Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by Loke666

FFXIV was not "fixed", so much as gutted and rebuilt over most of a couple years from the ground up.

The chances of that happening with ESO are basically nil.

I doubt they'll shut down the servers and spend 2 years rebuilding the game (after spending 6+ to begin with), especially since its Zenimax and not Bethesda or SquareEnix.

Honestly, if this game did not carry the ESO title, it might have received better reviews, but at the same time, flew under the radar.  Its not a bad game - its just a very generic, average, roller-coaster MMO.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    After the imperial stuff I decided to skip the ESO launch and canceled my pre order. Seems like I missed a bullet there.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Who cares about review, especially when you are having fun.

I did, so does my nephews. We play a lot too. One thing people tend to neglect is the fact of you can customise your toon in a lot of ways (it could be classless though) and focused on how it's not skyrim.

Reviews are total waste of time and most are conform to the "popular" views (which pretty much killed games before they can change things).
  • CleverjackCleverjack Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by Rusque

To put thing into perspective:

Angry Joe gave GW2 a perfect 10 (legendary!)

Witcher 2 got an 8.

Dragon Age 2 got a 7!!!  Say what you will about ESO, it's easily miles better than the travesty that was DA2. On top of that, how does Witcher 2 only get a single point higher than DA2? Really, they're not even on the same planet.

Has he really only reviewed 2 MMO's? Does this guy even play MMO's?

I've always enjoyed Angry joe's reviews both movies and video games. I agree with his tastes and so when looking into new games I check to see if he has a review on it. Honestly his original review of ESO is why I even tried the beta and eventually bought the game. I agree with him still. Te game deserves the score it got. An mmo isn't a single player affair. Its nice if you can tackle pve content solo, but it shouldn't be intentionally solo player. I don't even think the pvp is that great to be honest. You're mostly zerging if you want to face any of the other factions. Eso was a massive disappointment.

P.S. Dragon Age 2 was a great game. Excellent combat and a wonderful story. Also GW2 was revolutionary and it gave mmoer's new quality of life changes that were missing from the genre for no good reason.

Originally posted by Wrender

And here is another opinion (mine) that won't matter either as todays game players have no clue.

/snip

Elder Scrolls Online is simply amazing if you take the time to appreciate it for what it delivers.

No, your opinion doesn't matter cause you laid out a bunch of 'I like ESO' statements without providing a single reason why.

Angry Joe's reviews have facts to backup his statements (bugs/weird design decision etc).

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by jpnz

/snip

No, your opinion doesn't matter cause you laid out a bunch of 'I like ESO' statements without providing a single reason why.

Angry Joe's reviews have facts to backup his statements (bugs/weird design decision etc).

Angry Joe is just jumping on the hate band wagon with the rest.  Played ESO in beta, didn't buy it, but it's completely laughable to give the game a 5/10.  A game needs to be unplayable for that.  7/10 is much more realistic, 6/10 would be pushing it, but a 5/10 and you lose all creditability and are just hating on ESO because you want a skyrim sequel.

• nightbird305nightbird305 Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by furbans

/snip

Angry Joe is just jumping on the hate band wagon with the rest.  Played ESO in beta, didn't buy it, but it's completely laughable to give the game a 5/10.  A game needs to be unplayable for that.  7/10 is much more realistic, 6/10 would be pushing it, but a 5/10 and you lose all creditability and are just hating on ESO because you want a skyrim sequel.

Its been mentioned before but his 5/10 means the game is Average, not unplayable. In his opinion, ESO is an average MMO.

This is a hilarious post! ROFL!

'Unplayable game = 5/10' is not a logical statement. I mean.. really? Jeez.

Lets do some basic elementary school math; 'in a 1-10 scale, the average is 5'

Thus, from this awesome mathematic knowledge, we can see that an average game in a 1-10 scale would be 5.

TA-DA!

See how useful math is? :)

Gdemami -

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

/snip

Uhm 5/10 is 50% you know...

That's like writing a test and you answer half of the questions right.

What you call unplayable would be a 0 - handing in an empty sheet of paper.

Also Joe didn't jump on the hate train: He had the balls to to say that this game is mediocre at best, long before all the others came to this conclusion.

Harbinger of Fools
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by Dakeru

/snip

Uhm 5/10 is 50% you know...

That's like writing a test and you answer half of the questions right.

What you call unplayable would be a 0 - handing in an empty sheet of paper.

Also Joe didn't jump on the hate train: He had the balls to to say that this game is mediocre at best, long before all the others came to this conclusion.

It's not often the case for reviews. If you say that 5 is your average, you actually have to have given less that that on about half the game you reviewed.

Now while ESO is not a masterpiece, it certainly is better than 75% of the game I played in the last 15 years. What game did Joe ever rated under 5 ?

Most reviewer use something like 5-10 for reviews where 7.5 is average 5 is disastrous and 10 is a gem you see once per generation.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Azoth

Most reviewer use something like 5-10 for reviews where 7.5 is average 5 is disastrous and 10 is a gem you see once per generation.

Like his Guild Wars 2 review?

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

PC gamer gave it 5/10 too.

Ok...

In before how Angry Joe didn't get paid enough.

He doesn't accept bribes.

Has no integrity.

See above.

Just one mans opinion.

So is every review ever.

He didn't play it enough and is looking for attention

He plaied it long enough to get into the final PvP zone.

He played it wrong.

And therein lies the problem: are you supposed to play ESO more like an Elder Scrolls game or an MMO game?

He is (X games) fanboy

Exactly: he is an Elder Scrolls fanboy, which probably explains why it got a 5/10 and not a 3/10.

Who is angry joe and why should i care?

He is a fairly famous independent video game reviewer with numerous reviews under his belt, numerous interviews with developers, etc.

Anyone can make youtube account and be a critic (well do it yourself then).

Except he has been doing his for years and has a lot of clout.

He has a moustache so his opinion is invalid.

Look in a mirror dude.

And so on....

Did i miss anything?

Nope.   See my answers above.

P.S.  It was really hard to tell just how sarcastic you got, if at all.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

It's not often the case for reviews. If you say that 5 is your average, you actually have to have given less that that on about half the game you reviewed.

Now while ESO is not a masterpiece, it certainly is better than 75% of the game I played in the last 15 years. What game did Joe ever rated under 5 ?

This post makes no logical sense; esp the red text.

/Facepalm

Gdemami -

Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

Like his Guild Wars 2 review?

Makes even less sense for him to give GW2 9.4 if he use a 0-10 scale.

/Facepalm

For it to be average there have to be as many better as there are worst game .. unless you want to say that all the games are average... What you don't get out of 50% ?

So I just checked Joe's reviews, his average over all his review is 6.2  So ESO at 5 is way below is average.

You cannot say something is average then put it 12% lower than your average rank. The problem with his review is that he put a numerical and a qualitative value, would be good enough with either but both together don't make sense if you are not constent.

You could rank something 8.0 and it could still be average if that's how you have been ranking stuff.

• nightbird305nightbird305 Member UncommonPosts: 272

/Facepalm

For it to be average there have to be as many better as there are worst game .. unless you want to say that all the games are average... What you don't get out of 50% ?

So I just checked Joe's reviews, his average over all his review is 6.2  So ESO at 5 is way below is average.

You cannot say something is average then put it 12% lower than your average rank. The problem with his review is that he put a numerical and a qualitative value, would be good enough with either but both together don't make sense if you are not constent.

You could rank something 8.0 and it could still be average if that's how you have been ranking stuff.

You're talking about two different things here.

When Angry Joe gives a game a 5/10 he's saying that he thinks that the game is average. Average to what? Most likely the amount of enjoyment he had while playing it compared to all the other games he has played.

What you're talking about is the average score based on all his reviews, which is flawed from the beginning as there are so many extra factors that you have to consider, such as the type of games he enjoys/hates playing vs the games he's actually reviewing.  Furthermore reviews get outdated very quickly and only represent the reviewer's opinion at the time of the review, so although a game may get e.g. a 10/10. after a while that score could go down, and but that isn't reflected in the average score unless he re-reviews the game.

Anyway, don't make it needlessly complicated, and stick to the scores he gives. To him a 5/10 is suppose to convey that the game is average to him, that is all.

This discussion has been closed.