Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does WoW still have that world feeling it used to in Vanilla?

13»

Comments

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne
    Originally posted by tixylix
    Originally posted by Creatorzim

So I've been played again on a 10 day trial thing you have for veterans to come back. First of all I forgot my account was hacked and my characters were deleted, I contacted Blizzard but they said they have no characters on file as it was probably too long ago :(

I started again but I'm just bored and I'm only level 20, but tbh I was bored a long time ago. It has only taken like 4 hours to get to this point, I know they have to make it faster due to the level cap increase, but everything is far too easy. I was expecting big changes in the quest design, but so far it feels exactly how I remember it, all fetch and kill 10 rats quests. The only difference is, I'm levelling so fast...

It is so easy now, I went to play Vanilla WoW to check and I died a few times, I couldn't tank more than one mob at once, I had a lot of down time and running through aggro was a HUGE risk. I couldn't solo elites like I can now and I actually had to be aware of what was going on around me. There was a lot of tension in Vanilla WoW, but with this new WoW I'm bored because it is all too easy, I'm just tanking 3 mobs at once and not even breaking a sweat. 

What I hate the most is any time the game offers any challenge, it is always impossible challenge that they have to break the games mechanics so you easily win. For some reason they love to put you against massive bosses but then make you invincible by giving you some NPC to heal you or some buff or something.... IT IS BORING!

The quests are more linear than they were in the past, I mean they literally lock so many quests off so you have to do them all in order now before more open up and they guide you down this narrow path. I used to think it was bad before, but when I play Vanilla WoW, they're far more dotted around and they aren't all locked off until you complete earlier quests either. I often have times where I have one quest, that leads me to a cave where there are several quests, I complete them all and I get sent back to the town, then I only have one quest that sends me to the next cave....

I don't like the new talent system, it is just very restrictive, takes away the customization you used to have. I dunno if it changes, but I just feel locked down a set path, to the point where I'm the same as everyone else. 

There still seems to be a world but my problem is the quests are so linear now that if you ever find yourself on the quest quest line as someone else, you will be down on mobs to kill. I've only seen 3 or 4 people levelling so far and each time we've been standing around waiting for mobs to spawn. A way worse problem than it was in Vanilla WoW where there were way more people, just weird because I felt like I was following this other person and just trailing slightly behind in the quests, I just felt being pissed off as he had already killed all the mobs. 

I don't like any new stuff they've added like the pet battles, it just isn't fun and doesn't feel good at all. It is as if someone made a weird mod for Little Big Planet (PS3) and you can tell the game engien wasn't really made for it and no programming was involved, they just tried to change the camera view a bit. All the new stuff in the game feels very odd though, it really is like they're trying to do stuff with the engine that it just cannot do. They're finding some weird compromise and it doesn't work out at all.

I don't get why they always want to keep making you invincible as well, giving you mobs you have no chance with witht he conventional game mechanics. I tried Death Knight and they do it near the end of that starter area where you fight that big fat naked thing. The most unfun fight I've ever had, there is no point to it, I'd rather have challenge that constantly hitting him for 20 mins while I'm invincible and just waiting for him to die.

The game is a mess, it is a shame because the fantastic world is all there, sadly though it just feels like it has had bits edited so much that it is very inconsistent. I've had quests that point me somewhere, only they've changed the way you get there now and they've failed to update the quest text to tell you how you need to get there now. There are weird map inconsistencies too, I don't like the map when you're in Teldrassil, feels very broken and you cannot zoom in at all.

You only got to level 20...You were essentially doing all the quests that were back when you quit...So ya the exact quests you left to are going to be the exact quests of now. Only a few actually got changed. So whatever you quests you are talking about that are dotted around is wrong. The quests are still the same quests they were in Vanilla, with a few areas that were changed due to cata.

From what it sounds like you probably wont enjoy any game you play in the next 10 years probably. You have this thought of nostalgia that is still in the game but you dont remember it right so it will never live up to your expectation.

Originally posted by Creatorzim

Getting rid of the 30+ skills and limiting them down to make it not as exhausting.

That just sounds worse, I like having a massive library of skills. What I loved about SWTOR, I feel engadget managing all my skills, why I think GW2 and TESO online combat is so boring, you get like 5 or so skills and that is it..

You only have about 6 abilities you use in SWTOR. Not sure what you are talking about. If you are using more than 6 abilities than you are not using your rotations correctly.

Also they are just toning down some of the skills you need to use. WoW you have to use about 10-15 during a fight. They are cutting it down for some classes that takes more skills.

Well I dunno what SWTOR is like now, but when I was playing I had a few hot bars full of skills that I used actively. 

I dunno what you're going on about with quests not changing, I went back to Vanilla servers and the structure of them all are totally different. They used to be mostly all open for you to do when you want, not they lock them all and make them so linear.

I disagree with you totally - Especially when you write that the level 1-20 quests today are the same as in Vanilla WoW. 

For example, the Goldshire starting area has been stripped of all the Defias quests. Instead, they have these horrible slay 10 orc quests.

All the good quest stories have gone.

Even the Worgen starting area gets boring and it has a nasty bug that can make the game crash.

You never see enemy players trying to attack or infiltrate cities. These things used to happen many times a day.

WoW is definitely not the game it once was.

It's not about story behind it. It's rather how quests are organised. Kill some wolves, then kobolds, then do some defias / orc stuff, then kill defias / orc leader and finally go with report to Goldshire. Story change, scheme and design did not.

Well it used to be a good game, now it is what it is.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Flying mounts kind of changed the whole game.  I'd say that the pluses outweigh the negatives though.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by NightHaveN

A lot of changes that has happend on WoW over the years. 

1. Due to the dungeon rewards, and world flying, nearly all world pvp is extinct.

i saw active world pvp in booty bay a year ago  (if you play on pvp server)

but i agree - most players won't spend much time questing in STV jungle

• SmashixSmashix Member UncommonPosts: 91

As others have stated, I have a real love/hate relationship with LFD (looking for dungeon) tools, and it's not just in WoW.

On the one hand, I don't miss the days where you and your group had to spend an hour getting to a dungeon you'd never been to only to have 2 of your group 8 minutes in because they had to go eat dinner after wasting all their play time getting to it.

On the other had, any sense of camaraderie and grouping is gone in most, perhaps all, modern MMOs that have this feature. In just about every game, guild chat is empty and/or largely ignored. Atlantica Online is an exception, but it's also a different type of MMO. The best part of it is that it still has  real community.

WoW, more than most MMOs, has almost from the beginning, focused a lot of it's efforts on end-game. Thus you have lots of people rushing through the leveling content to get to max level, so they can then run the same dungeons and raids over and over and over for months or years (since there's only 1 expansion every 2 years).

Leveling is just too easy. This is the thing that bugs me most about WoW since Vanilla. In Vanilla, I died often. Sure, some of that was because I was clueless and new, but a lot of it was because your average PvE opponent was tougher. Now, with almost any class, I have to pull 3 or 4 mobs 3 or 4 levels higher than me just to make it challenging and there's still very little real risk. What's the point of playing a game when you know you can't lose?

Oh yes, and now you skip through most leveling faster because most zones give you more experience than they used to. I would be fine with this if it was optional. I hate that they "force" me to level faster. Why can't I decide my leveling pace?

However, WoW is still the number one MMO out there and for good reason. The experience in the game is just so polished.

It does so many things right, many of which you tend to forget until you try some other MMOs. These tend to fall into 2 categories:

1. Let's out-WoW WoW: these tend to focus on one or two feature of WoW and try to be even "more" (whatever that means) of that feature, while missing the well-rounded experience the rest of WoW gives you

2. Let's be different than WoW, then you get games like GW2, which has not implemented the holy trinity of tank-healer-DPS and every dungeon it's a crapshoot of trying to somehow avoid or get aggro.

I still play WoW off and on, usually 3 months off and 3 months on. My rules are as follows:

- I won't join a Nazi guild that dictates how I spend my time.

- I won't race anyone to max level.

- I play how I want and when I want.

IDC about PvP, I'll occasionally run a BG, but beyond that, it's not my gig.

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    I actually thing Transmog has helped alot, Area 52 is a perpetual pvp hub now. Fast travel every where does hurt it a bit. The solution to that is make all the main cities main cities again. You shouldnt have to travel to Stormwind to go to Panderia when you are already in Ironforge or Exodar. Some races need actual cities represented, Gnomes was a good one but they put it right behind Ironforge. Adding a Worgen major city right below Tirisfal would be a good start, world pvp would never end considering its already a quest destination. 
  • Cliff1963Cliff1963 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Cataclysm did it for me, in the negative sense of the word. Gone was the feeling of togetherness, learning others about the tactics of dungeon bosses. Tried MoP, but that was a grindfest which too much relied on daily quests.  But still, gonna try the WoD expansion, hoping for the same experience before Cataclysm. But before it arrives I'm having loads of fun in ESO, exploring, levelling, unexpected grouping with fun plauers who communicate, which seems something that has abandoned WOW the period I left the game.