Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this game be primarily PVP or PVE ?

taxguytaxguy Member Posts: 60
 I am trying to figure out what Star Citizen will be like . Will it be primarily PvE or PvP? If there is PvP, can I totally avoid it if I want or is this more like EVE where PVP is the main focus and not very easy or smart to avoid PVP?

Comments

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by taxguy
     I am trying to figure out what Star Citizen will be like . Will it be primarily PvE or PvP? If there is PvP, can I totally avoid it if I want or is this more like EVE where PVP is the main focus and not very easy or smart to avoid PVP?

It is mostly what you want it to be. Last I read about it, they were planing a system that let's you set your ''safety'' level. So you can pick if you want to encounter mostly npc or pc. After that it's up to you if you want to attack those ships.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

there is an epic cinematic single player campaign whch will play like you are in a Star Wars movie

Squadron 42

and they will deliver mission disks

• I believe you will be able to play Squadron 42 as coop as well. In the persistent universe I bet there will be lots of PvE stuff to do, but other players might show up and blow you out of space while you're ratting.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Azoth

It is mostly what you want it to be. Last I read about it, they were planing a system that let's you set your ''safety'' level. So you can pick if you want to encounter mostly npc or pc. After that it's up to you if you want to attack those ships.

Does that mean that a player could elect to be anywhere between 100% PVP-enabled to 100% safe, or is there a limit to how much other players (and ganking) can be avoided ?

It's probably too early to say that "this is how it will be", at this point it's mostly design intentions that will be finalised later, I'd imagine.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Does that mean that a player could elect to be anywhere between 100% PVP-enabled to 100% safe, or is there a limit to how much other players (and ganking) can be avoided ?

It's probably too early to say that "this is how it will be", at this point it's mostly design intentions that will be finalised later, I'd imagine.

The plan was to limit it so that it can never be 100% npc or pc. And it will try to match your ''power'' with similar encounters. So if you travel alone in a 1 seat ship your chance to cross a 15 ships fleet should be minimal. That is my understanding of the matching during travel.

Now once you are at your destination doing whatever you feel like, I am not sure how the area gets populated.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    So the short answer would be to early to tell as everything is still in concept stage and we all know concept can be much different from the reality.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    It is open world PVP with consequences, but you will have the choice to play solo, so no one to gank you or anything like that. My only worry about this game is this game is nothing more like EVE Online 2 The resurrection.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    It is open world PVP with consequences, but you will have the choice to play solo, so no one to gank you or anything like that. My only worry about this game is this game is nothing more like EVE Online 2 The resurrection.

It is a lot more about hands on combat/action, and a lot less about meta politics/economy. So.. EvE is rather far away from what Star Citizen will be. Though noone really knows how deep politics and economy will be or how it will develop overtime in Star Citizen.. but the combat is one of the main focus of Star Citizen.. whereas in EvE it is one of the few weak points.

About PvE and PvP. You do have Squadron 42(PvE Only), and you can play it more or less as single player (PvE Only), maybe even COOP with a few selected friends?).. in the persistent multiplayer world you will encounter other people.. and then there may PvP not be completely avoided. Though they try to realize different zones of security(and withit safety), and therefore you can most probably pick somewhat your personal level of risk/reward. On the other side.. it is concept stage and nothing is set in stone.

• RadedgeRadedge Member UncommonPosts: 2
    looks to be mostly PTW to me, what other game can you name that has a shop item for $15,000
  • ThasriThasri Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Originally posted by Radedge
    looks to be mostly PTW to me, what other game can you name that has a shop item for $15,000

The PTW thing has been squashed so many times. But I guess you believe what you like.

• ThasriThasri Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Originally posted by Apraxis

It is a lot more about hands on combat/action, and a lot less about meta politics/economy. So.. EvE is rather far away from what Star Citizen will be. Though noone really knows how deep politics and economy will be or how it will develop overtime in Star Citizen.. but the combat is one of the main focus of Star Citizen.. whereas in EvE it is one of the few weak points.

About PvE and PvP. You do have Squadron 42(PvE Only), and you can play it more or less as single player (PvE Only), maybe even COOP with a few selected friends?).. in the persistent multiplayer world you will encounter other people.. and then there may PvP not be completely avoided. Though they try to realize different zones of security(and withit safety), and therefore you can most probably pick somewhat your personal level of risk/reward. On the other side.. it is concept stage and nothing is set in stone.

I believe this is the closest information we know at the moment. I saw an interview with CR saying that the MMO part of the game will have safer zones kind of like what you have in EVE. Depending on where you go, you could end up in a lawless sector and get blown up by other player pirates. At this point we don't really know how travel will work and I can only speculate on what has been released in their videos. From their latest video for the Freelancer ship it shows the ship jumping into hyperspace on it's own with no jump gate so that's cool, but who knows at this point.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Octagon7711
    So the short answer would be to early to tell as everything is still in concept stage and we all know concept can be much different from the reality.

Pretty much my impression as well.

I'm fairly sure they will make the game as "inclusive" as possible (F2P games can't really work well any other way), which means consensual PVP. So one section of space will be totally lawless whilst another will be 100% safe (from other players, not NPC's). Perhaps with some transition zones inbetween, like EVE-Online's security ratings for systems.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    If you have and are able to spend money you will have fun, if you don't you won't.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Player vs. Cash Shop most likely
  • TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Thasri

The PTW thing has been squashed so many times. But I guess you believe what you like.

LOL how has it been squashed?

Can you buy an advantage with real money?  Yes

Can you buy in game credits with real money?  Yes

Can you buy game effecting items with real money?  Yes

So P2W. 

Currently the best weapons in the AC (SC dogfighting module) cost $16 from the cash shop.  Using the starter ships puts you at a disadvantage.  You can only fly the starter ship unless you buy more than the base package.  

SC is the only game I know that had a Cash shop in pre-alpha (hangar), hell before there was even close to being a game.  Its the only game that I know that let you buy in game Credits before there was a game(in the cash shop).  SC is the only game that I know that lets you buy game play effecting items before there was a game (in the cash shop).  

OT:  CIG stated at the start that SC is a PVE game with PVP enabled.  So take that as you will.  It is much too early to really know how it will turn out.  

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

This is code word for they haven't told us anything specific. I learned that from the EQN:L forums :)

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ElandrialElandrial Member UncommonPosts: 179

it will be mostly a ptw game.basically how much you  have to sink into it,but hey if that floats your boat,more power to ya.

• ElandrialElandrial Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by TheYear1500
    Originally posted by Thasri

LOL how has it been squashed?

Can you buy an advantage with real money?  Yes

Can you buy in game credits with real money?  Yes

Can you buy game effecting items with real money?  Yes

So P2W. 

Currently the best weapons in the AC (SC dogfighting module) cost $16 from the cash shop.  Using the starter ships puts you at a disadvantage.  You can only fly the starter ship unless you buy more than the base package.  

SC is the only game I know that had a Cash shop in pre-alpha (hangar), hell before there was even close to being a game.  Its the only game that I know that let you buy in game Credits before there was a game(in the cash shop).  SC is the only game that I know that lets you buy game play effecting items before there was a game (in the cash shop).  

OT:  CIG stated at the start that SC is a PVE game with PVP enabled.  So take that as you will.  It is much too early to really know how it will turn out.  

if you spend 15k on a game you EXPECT a HUGE advantage,that is the definition of ptw game.ftp  are mainly ptw games i have never seen one that was not,unless it was a fee based game to start,like lotro,every ftp game iv'e played ended up you need to BUY stuff.but this game takes the cake,they are selling stuff with NO GAME. the problem with this is ,people will expect MORE,take for example atlantica,each new mount HAS to be better than the old mount.what will be interesting is,if someone who plops 15k down gets BANNED.not going to happen,they will have special rules i am sure.

• mosernmosern Member Posts: 4

It'll be mostly PvE, unless you actively go out and hunt for PvP. (NPC's will be about 90% of the population in the universe).

Like EvE they will have different "security levels" on the different sectors.

There will also be a PvP-slider (see official forums for all the misconceptions). The current understanding of the slider is that it works while you are fast-traveling inside system (ex. between Earth and Jupiter). Unlike EvE, fast-traveling will take minutes, and not seconds - so you'll be dragged out of the fast-travel from time to time, and those "random" encounters are based on system, who's at the same place, and the PvP-slider.

Outside of fast-travel, ex. in an astroid field, you will meet whoever is there - which could be a gank squad.

• DKKOberonDKKOberon Member Posts: 75

first comes....

Will this game be?

• Ezze902Ezze902 Member Posts: 34

So far its been Primarily PAY TO WIN. 

Then again you cannot use those ships yet.

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

Both in mixed doses.

Ship boarding of a player ship will obviously be PvP,

ship to ship combat first, and then on foot tactical FPS shooter when you manage to get on board.

Core systems will be relatively safe of PvP with a slider of preference.

There will be persistent objectives like the Bengal carrier players can fight over, also many deep space stations in lawless sectors that can be claimed for territory control.

One big PvE part will be in "Squadron 42", the single player campaign where you play a pilot in the military, like Wing Commander.

Also there is a PvP-PvE  slider which works in the UEE-regulated areas so you can have less PvP meeting more NPC ships than players. Lawless areas will be PvP enabled.

There will be many story driven PvE missions which will include trading, space combat, on foot exploration, bounty hounting etc.with cinematic story driven missions. Likely also some basic run-off-the-mill delivery quests to transport resources to NPC run space stations and factories.

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

My only worry is that its NOT 'EVE Online 2', as you call it.

EVE with all of its flaws and ugly mechanics is by far THE best Sandbox & 'Space MMO' out there, hands down without a shadow of a doubt. Some of the things EVE does right can be considered genius.

My dream game would be if SC made a "merge" with EVE in terms of design, mechanics, player freedom & impact. (Not actually merging the games, just taking the best bits and pieces from EVE and implementing it in their own game.)

This talk of a "PVP Slider" and "9/10 of the population is an NPC" makes me shudder, in my humble opinion, wasted potential. I'll still definitely try SC out when it comes out, I just wish they didn't take this casual approach to their game as they seem to do.

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by Lorgarn

My only worry is that its NOT 'EVE Online 2', as you call it.

EVE with all of its flaws and ugly mechanics is by far THE best Sandbox & 'Space MMO' out there, hands down without a shadow of a doubt. Some of the things EVE does right can be considered genius.

My dream game would be if SC made a "merge" with EVE in terms of design, mechanics, player freedom & impact. (Not actually merging the games, just taking the best bits and pieces from EVE and implementing it in their own game.)

This talk of a "PVP Slider" and "9/10 of the population is an NPC" makes me shudder, in my humble opinion, wasted potential. I'll still definitely try SC out when it comes out, I just wish they didn't take this casual approach to their game as they seem to do.

You´ll likely get the EvE type experience in lawless space, it´s Star Citizen´s version of Nullsec.

Not sure but I´d expect that the discovered systems will be lawless too.

The PvP slider will have no impact in lawless high risk systems.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Lorgarn

My only worry is that its NOT 'EVE Online 2', as you call it 

Well, they have already prevented the game from being able to become EVE 2. Something like LTI is so game breaking for an open econemy and for so many other elements that they have closed that door right out of the gate. More nails in the coffin is single player mode and multiple universe servers (as far as I understand). EVE works be course there is always risk of loss and one ruleset/server. You might say that those things are unimportent, but the devil is in the details. Look at Perpetuum, that game did about everything right, and even implemented quite a few of the improvements that EVE players have been asking for, for years. Yet still that game is struggling to make it all work just semi well, even if they did it all right in theory. Making a sanbox MMO really work is more than having the right ideas, it is the delicate balance of making those ideas work for real.

I think the one thing that CCP did right was actually staring out simple and building on that. Back when it launched it took quite a while to get even that first very simple initial version of the player driven market to work. Then they slowly build that out piece by piece until they got tp where they are now. I simply dont think it would have worked if you just started a new server/game with the same complexity.