Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 5 favorite classes in your mmo/mud history?

I'm sure this topic has been posted before, but as my first post on this message board, I thought I would renew this topic for 2014.  I'm sure many more games have come out since then, too.

This will also help me pick out other games and fun characters to play as, too since I'm rather new to MMOs in general.  Please list why a certain class is your favorite!

1) Swashbuckler - EQ2

Currently playing as him right now, and he seems to be a lot of fun.  Lots of debuffs, lots of aoe damage, and lots of single target damage.  Also, the first time I've played as a stealth class in a game.  So far lots of fun :)

2) Remorhaz - Tsunami Mud

It was a giant ice wyrm.  How awesome is that?  Could nuke with ice spells, wrap itself around the enemy to suffocate it, and could even change the entire environment by creating an ice strom!

3) Loremaster - LotRO

I didn't get too far into the game, but I found the class unique.  It was a mage class that could nuke, heal, and cc.  It also came with a pet and could even go into melee to fight at later levels.  Overall, lots of variety and fun with the class.

4) Magician - Flyff

Pretty much your standard nuke mage.  Not much in the way of variety, but I've played so few mmos/muds that this class is in by default.  Mostly played Flyff with my ex-gf, but found the game very boring overall.

Yeah I know I listed 5, but I only have 4.  Mostly, I just haven't played enough, but if you have, please do list the classes/characters you guys found most fun.  Thanks!

Comments

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159

1: swtor- commando (healer) dno why but i love healing with my tropper feels right

2: wow (tbc)- resto druid

3: swtor - sage tele dps yoda style never gets tired of it

4: wildstar- medic fun with a litle light show

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I like to experiment and theory-craft a lot, so defined clasees are more or less the same to me, and the ones which are raising above the generic level are sticking out by their mechanic. So, without any order:

CoV's Mastermind, like playing Overlord in an mmo :)

AoC's melee combo system, especially the Shammy (melee 2H-wielding healer), but HoX and DT are fun too

LotRO's warden, the gambit system is great

also LotRO, the rune-keeper and the Attunement system.

from the "classless" ones, I really liked to heal with my mage in Rift, my Eng Cruiser tankish-healer is fun in STO, and TSW is stuffed with fun decks.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    I only really have 2 favorites... WoW Shaman and AoC HoX.
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

1. EQ Bard - hands down the best class ever made for any game. 

2. WoW Vanilla Druid - could do anything and wasn't limited to specing one tree

3. EQ Monk - Feign death... so awesome

4. WAR - Brightwizard OP for sooo long

5. Vanguard Bard - making your own songs was so awesome

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Eq enchanter, Eq beastlord, Eq bard, Eq necromancer, Eq monk, Vanguard bloodmage, Vanguard cleric, Vanguard Sorceror, WoW shadow priest, WoW shammy healer.

Generally classes in todays mmorpgs are generic simplified dps heal tank, or worse roleless like gw2.

Although I haven't played Vanguard that much, their class mechanics is still today one of the most interesting made since...

Everquest, with it's vareity in classes and how to play and combine them, the dept of skills, spells and multitude of uses.. Shrug nothing has come close yet, but still hoping.

Some classes or play aspects in other games are not bad, but it is only as a portion of the game/gameplay, or just fun enough in their simplicity.. My example would be WoW shadowpriest and shammy played as healer.

Trying desperately to think of modern game examples, and although kindda bland I also had some fun with Neverwinter "mage "(forgot what their are called).

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

1. Enchanter - EQ1

2. Fury - Shadowbane

3. Beastlord - EQ1

4. Druid - Diablo 2

5.  Magician - EQ1

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    In no particular order...

1. Hunter - vanilla thru litchking wow
    2. Tank bounty hunter (pyrotech) - swtor
    3. Mage - rift
    4. Lancer - tera
    5. Blackork - war
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

This should be easy :)

1. PreCU SWG - Master BH / Pistoleer / Carbineer / Medic

2. PreCU SWG - TKM / Swordsman / Fencer / Medic

3. Anarchy Online - Soldier

4. Shadowbane - Scout / MP

5. World of Warcraft - Hunter

• BoraellBoraell Member UncommonPosts: 97

1. Beastlord - EQ

2. Hunter - Wow (Vanilla)

3. Enchanter - EQ

4. Ranger - DDO

5. Rogue - NexusTK

• seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312

These are my favorite five. 

• Everquest - Bard
    • Vanguard - Disciple
    • Age of Conan - Herald of Xolti
    • Everquest - Enchanter
    • Dungeons and Dragons Online - Rogue
  • D_I_BD_I_B Member Posts: 43

I mostly play clerics and tanks so:

no 1 would be Warrior Priest from WAR - it felt just right, im saddened that noone actually mentions them

other than that i found NWO clerics fun to play also (also guardian fighters are pretty cool too!)

i dont like whack the badger mechanics so Wildstar Medics are good( but controlls seems a little/unresponsive clunky for me...)

other than that i cant recall...

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

EQ1 enchanter

GW1 mesmer

GW1 ranger

EQ2 Conjuror

vanilla wow warlock

out of all the mmos i played - i enjoyed almost all the classes in GW1

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511

1.DAoC - Thane

2.Anarchy Online - Keeper

3.WoW - Ret Pally

4.LoTRo - Champion

5.WoW - Rogue

Godz of War I call Thee

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

GW -1 Dervish  - very unique

Tabula Rasa - sniper - one shoting elites was just supercool

Swtor - Bounty hunter

AoC - Herald of Xotli

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Dread Knight - Vanguard : best instance of a tank class I know of, though it took them a LONG time to actually balance this class right. The Guardian (?) from LotR sounded very interesting, too, when I explored LotR classes (never actually played the MMO, though)

Necromancer - Vanguard : After I was very reluctant about this, it turned out to be a very fun class with a lot of possibilities, sadly I didnt had too much time to play it anymore, Vanguard was already dying. Spellhowler in L2 was very fun too, as was the L2 Necromancer. But ultimately the Vanguard implementation was vastly superior.

Tyrant - Lineage 2 : A class that I will always miss, but I dont think anyone else will ever recreate this fun combo of direct melee, decent magic and surprising fragility.

Shillien Elder - Lineage 2 : The only really fun healer class in L2 because it was a decent healer and a decent buffer at the same time. For some odd reason these asian gamers think a completely passive task such as buffing should be a separate class from a pretty passive task such as healing. Either way, this class was total crap solo but a halfgod when in party. Gave me a lot of time to play my Tyrant, too, because every time there was no

Blood Mage - Vanguard : A fun class I sadly never managed to really explore, I think I was level 35 or some such in the end, just like with the Necromancer.

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456

EQ1 - Enchanter

The Fourth Coming - Archer

WoW - Prot Warrior

Neverwinter - Great Weapon Fighter

City of Heroes - Dominator 

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409

My Tops 5:

EQ1 - Enchanter

EQ1 - Necromancer

EQ2 - Coercer

War - Squig Herder

War - Bright Wizard...

War had really nice classes that were different, and I miss the crowd control dedicated class.

• Guild Wars : Ritualist, Paragon

Warhammer Online : Witch Elf, Blackguard, Shadow Warrior, Squig Herder

DC Universe : Electricity, Nature

Guild Wars 2 : Elementalist

Ragnarok Online : Alchemist

World Of Warcraft : Druid

Knight Online : Priest

• BrakhBrakh Member UncommonPosts: 29
    DAoC - Thane
    WoW - Warrior
    ESO - Nightblade
    WAR - Black Orc
    GW2 - Elementalist
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

DAOC -- Minstrel, Cabalist

Vanguard -- Necromancer(best pet class of all), Shaman

PoTBS -- Mont Blanc Indiaman

CoH -- ice/ice blaster, Warshade

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

1) Monk Fistweaving - WoW
    3) Bounty Hunter/Pistoleer/Combat Medic - SWG Jedi Hunting ^^.
    4) Medic - Wildstar
    5) Warrior - WoW

• ZarranZarran Member Posts: 9

AC/Darktide: UA/Life- unique combo to play, with bufff and debuff spells.

Shadowbane: Scout-I like the way I can find stealthy and players around the area with their names and guild, and warlock- which is more like the life mage in AC.

SWG: tera kesai- love this UA class with self-healing..

GW1: miss my mesmer and ritualist, very unique class that I ever played.

WOW: Warlock, the only class that interest me in this game.

I'm always interested in UA classes, warlocks, and scouts in every game I played. If the classes are good especially with pvp unique skills (like shadowbane), I'll play the game for  a long time.

MMORPG games played: M59-2 years, AC/Darktide-5 years,Shadowbane-3 years, SWG-1 year, WOW-1 year, and GW1-4 years.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

DAoC: Armsman, Minstrel, Warden

EQ: Warrior

WoW: Arms Warrior

Warhammer: Knight of the Blazing Sun

I was going to just put 5 DAoC classes but I don't think that's fair to other games out there even if DAoC had the best class selection of any game to date. And yea, I added KotBS. Coolest class in WH by far. All other games have really paled in comparison or done these classes worse in my opinion. Guild Wars 2 came so close to making this list with their Guardian, but limiting you to 8 skills at a time cripples every class in that game.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Anarchy Online 220 shade,,maan these combos needs atleast 5 keyboards + tiny agents and traders were quite fun too for twinking and buffing others.

45 around vanilla WoW fury or arms? warrior with thrash blade and flurry axe was something that i really do miss,pretty much like windfury shamans,you can allmost hear  the dices rolling,oh the lottery.

++ new favorite ,Smite : Tyr (hear me Zenimax,this is how  you do simple combat properly)

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

1. antipaladin - mozart mud

2. shadowknight eq2

3. warden - lotro

4. mage based classes on zombie mud

5. disciple/bard - vanguard