Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Settling into Month Three

12346»

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Manestream
    so I take it that this game is starting to dwindle in playerbase and die already?

It seems like it has lost a lot of players. I wanted to resub to check out the new content but my friends told me it would be better if i save that money Probably come back when it goes F2P.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• CadejocrCadejocr Member Posts: 7

Ah , 3 months ago was thinking to jump on elder scrolls world. So i decide to install skyrim before buying the online version. Just to know more about the lore , etc.

So i discover skyrim and a zillion mods specially those one to adults. Definetly i will not going back to any mmo because:

1) mmos today are for the masses, so forget any serious adult stuff there.

2) Killing 10 rabbits, pigs, monkeys , whatever can be nice, "new" to a teen. But not for me anymore.

3) You see a comunity like skyrim and found people reinventing the game just for fun. Today mmos are just the same template coded for money. Developers simple nerf anything.

What i want is definetly more games like skyrim, build for modders.

• Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by muthax
    Originally posted by Gel214th

You don't spend 200million + making a "niche" game. The game flopped, big time. The development team apparently failed to listen to their customer base, or to even consider what customers really wanted. They built the game they wanted, and it hasn't resonated with the MMORPG audience, or with the Skyrim/Elderscrolls audience. 

<--SNIP-->

Zenimax created a (rumoured) 200 million dollar niche game. Just like SWTOR. And it's going to go the same way as SWTOR. 

<--SNIP--> 

And this is a clear example of a TESO 'hater': FUD, lies and exaggeration (starting with the 200 mil budget, any fonts for that btw? lol)

Actually, you can do a simple Google search and it will lead you to investor webpages.  Zenimax received $300M from an investment group in return for shares.  Not all of that went to ESO, but a healthy portion did.

The investor pages I looked at told what the money went to.  Check for yourself before you start declaring everyone is a "hater".  Strawman arguments just make you look dumb.

• Tr3izeTr3ize Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by vandal5627
    Originally posted by rwyan

I recently went back to FF14 to see how its developed since January. I took a break because it was heading towards a raid/gear grind treadmill.

FF14 is full of polish, even at launch, despite the initial login issues was very polished. While I have encountered numerous bugs large and small in ESO, my experience with FF14 has essentially been bug free.

But that is where the pleasantries end. ESO has a far superior, fairly open questing experience. Yes, the zone progression is linear but it is less hub based and more along the lines of TSW where quests are simply just there and it is up to you to find your own way.

ESO features fully voiced quests with decent writing and acting. FF14 cutscenes are SOMETIMES voice acted, poorly written and poorly voice acted (if there is voice acted). I still don't understand why Square Enix was never called out for it's inconsistent presentation. Side quests in ESO are fairly meaty on story whereas FF14 sidequests are complete filler trash

As an example, FF14 has hit a positive note with critics and players but the only thing it has on ESO is polish. It too is plagued with botters, even today. While I think both games are great, it does bother me ESO gets the short stick simply because.

ESO gets the short stick becuase it's just not a great game, it's just an OK game with all kinds of problems.  There's the short stick IMHO.

True, it's an OK game, with many problems AND a sub. I wouldn't mind if it was an OK game with many problems and no sub. They just don't have the quality expected from a subscription model game.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Negative nabobs of nare-do-well are everywhere.
  • BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by Tr3ize
    Originally posted by vandal5627
    Originally posted by rwyan

I recently went back to FF14 to see how its developed since January. I took a break because it was heading towards a raid/gear grind treadmill.

FF14 is full of polish, even at launch, despite the initial login issues was very polished. While I have encountered numerous bugs large and small in ESO, my experience with FF14 has essentially been bug free.

But that is where the pleasantries end. ESO has a far superior, fairly open questing experience. Yes, the zone progression is linear but it is less hub based and more along the lines of TSW where quests are simply just there and it is up to you to find your own way.

ESO features fully voiced quests with decent writing and acting. FF14 cutscenes are SOMETIMES voice acted, poorly written and poorly voice acted (if there is voice acted). I still don't understand why Square Enix was never called out for it's inconsistent presentation. Side quests in ESO are fairly meaty on story whereas FF14 sidequests are complete filler trash

As an example, FF14 has hit a positive note with critics and players but the only thing it has on ESO is polish. It too is plagued with botters, even today. While I think both games are great, it does bother me ESO gets the short stick simply because.

ESO gets the short stick becuase it's just not a great game, it's just an OK game with all kinds of problems.  There's the short stick IMHO.

True, it's an OK game, with many problems AND a sub. I wouldn't mind if it was an OK game with many problems and no sub. They just don't have the quality expected from a subscription model game.

Pretty much this.

Most sub players want, maybe even NEED progressive non-repetitive feeling content. Also most don't want to continue to grind after they just grinded exp.........They want to do hard complete dungeons or raids. They want to get achievements or pet n such.

While this game has many features other MMO's have it is put together in such away that it is not appealing to the masses. 1-50 is alright, but past that.....no thank you.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    This game shouldn't come as a surprise it would sink like the titanic, the signs were there well before launch.  Still surprises me people will pay for garbage.  Oh well, another one down...next?
  • LeGrosGamerV2LeGrosGamerV2 Member Posts: 90
     The game was already a failure because it released barely 3 years after Skyrim got out, no where as sweet as Skyrim, no where near the finish line and last but not least, it was meant for the console audience.   My problem with TESO, it's the fact that they released it 30% finished on PC to grab all the money it can muster on the hype to then work silently on the console version.   Those defending TESO PC version, just admit you got screwed and let's move along. I got screwed a few times myself and I learned from my mistakes and moved on.  The big titles are releasing in 2015, so save your money and enjoy your lives until then! :) 
  • mep630mep630 Member Posts: 23

its amazing how idiotoic how people are when they try to reason away stuff that dont agree with them.

#1 of all when your game plays better in beta then at 2 months in release, you fail.  simple as that,

#2 when 70% + of your player bases quits your game 2 months in, you cant blame that on all these garbage excuse you fanbois want to come up with - the game was rushed out, and mis managed with all the wrong priorities and TESO faced the consequences for it.

As a pvp player, they destroyed the game, with the nerfs and lack of action on exploits, and horrible design like the never ending npc gaurds.  I would never pay another dime to this company after showing this kind of incompetence.  many players felt the same.

I might play when this goes F2P, which I think will be record time for any mmo to switch, but even that is a pretty low percentage that I will have any will to go back to this steaming pile of garbage this rookie team came out with.  which is sad because in beta I was really into this game, it just goes to show how mismanagement can kill things people are into pretty dam fast.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Now that a lot of the bugs have been fixed and the majority of gold sellers have moved on to other games, ESO is starting to flourish. If the devs are able to make good on their promises of improvements to the game (especially VR), I think the game will become much more popular. Sadly, people are always going to hate on ESO. It is a far better game than a lot of people say. If someone is interested in playing the game, pick it up when it's on sale (usually it comes with one or two months of free playtime) and try it out for yourself. This is one game where you don't actually want to pay attention to the negative reviews.