Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any idea of beta/release dates ?

JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
Title pretty much sums it up. Even though I swore that SOE was never going to another dime from me I am tempted to buy into the beta with a founders pack but not if it is going to be a year or 2 down the road

I miss DAoC

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

my guess is beta is next year

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1w2lu2/im_john_smedley_president_of_soe_amaa/?limit=500

What does the Long Term release look like for EQN? Will it be around the end of this year, or does it look more like late next year?

j_smedley:
    not sure yet. Likely sometime next year.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Thanks for the link. Good read on SWG there also but have  to be honest I fall into the skeptical camp on whether SOE can do make a good sandbox. I have seen them snatch defeat from the jaws of victory too many times now still I hope this one turns out to be good

I miss DAoC

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I would check on Landmark next month after they add combat and danger. Should be interesting to see how the game plays then if it feels like a decent sandbox at all or just a builder with some mobs laying around. I think we're also getting some NPCs.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

In Landmark they are still discovering stuff with tools etc. Combat will be in soon, I bet for testing purposes.

Last year at SOE live we were promised a playable version of EQnext. It never happend. I believe they scrapped the game (again) and restarted everything. Then Landmark came.

If I would make a guess, we won't see EQnext "alpha invite at a price" until some time in early 2016. Release, March 2017 or later that same year. (March is the month EQ1 was released.)

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Storm_Cloud

In Landmark they are still discovering stuff with tools etc. Combat will be in soon, I bet for testing purposes.

Last year at SOE live we were promised a playable version of EQnext. It never happend. I believe they scrapped the game (again) and restarted everything. Then Landmark came.

If I would make a guess, we won't see EQnext "alpha invite at a price" until some time in early 2016. Release, March 2017 or later that same year. (March is the month EQ1 was released.)

During SOE Live 2013 they said there would be a playable EQN or are you talking about the comment made early in 2013 before EQN had been revealed? Smed's comment from early in the year might of been alluding to Landmark, either way, I listen to EQN devs, not Smed when it comes to EQN. Now H1Z1, I'll list to him a bit more.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

Probably around the same time as Black Desert is released in the U.S.  I'd personally hold out for Black Desert... its atleast in beta.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Allein

During SOE Live 2013 they said there would be a playable EQN or are you talking about the comment made early in 2013 before EQN had been revealed? Smed's comment from early in the year might of been alluding to Landmark, either way, I listen to EQN devs, not Smed when it comes to EQN. Now H1Z1, I'll list to him a bit more.

Prior to SOE live in 2013, I believe it was even before E3 2013. Smed promised to have a playable version of EQnext at SOE live 2013, not Landmark and yes, you are very wise to take what Smed says with a grain of salt but also remember, the devs are controlled by him and will say what he wants. Anything for a little hype to keep it alive.

I will stick with my guess for a 2017 release. :)

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

I was hoping for 2014 but as it looks there won't even be an alpha this year. It mostly depends on what new game type/trend comes out this year and if smed wants to chase it. Originally they were trying to make EQNext an MMO with a moba-style cash shop(buy "classes" ala champions) and combat, but the market is saturated now so they may be going back to the drawing board. Could be wrong as they are making H1Z1 even though there are 30 other survival zombie games out, and Landmark with many other builder-boxes already out/in development. They keep chasing whatever is popular on twitch without realizing how fleeting 99% of these game types are. 

Don't trust smed. It is in his best interest to make you think hes about to change the world. Whether it be age, intentions, or just shareholder pressure, the entire team working on EQN/EQLM are way out of touch with their market. 

Originally posted by Utinni

I was hoping for 2014 but as it looks there won't even be an alpha this year. It mostly depends on what new game type/trend comes out this year and if smed wants to chase it. Originally they were trying to make EQNext an MMO with a moba-style cash shop(buy "classes" ala champions) and combat, but the market is saturated now so they may be going back to the drawing board. Could be wrong as they are making H1Z1 even though there are 30 other survival zombie games out, and Landmark with many other builder-boxes already out/in development. They keep chasing whatever is popular on twitch without realizing how fleeting 99% of these game types are. 

Don't trust smed. It is in his best interest to make you think hes about to change the world. Whether it be age, intentions, or just shareholder pressure, the entire team working on EQN/EQLM are way out of touch with their market. 

Where are you getting your info? Never heard about the buying classes idea before. Not sure how they keep chasing what is popular. It makes financial sense to have a hand in everything if they can. H1Z1, EQN, Landmark all have potential to bring change to their respective markets, can't say the same for many other game out or coming out. Will they? Who knows, but they are at least trying instead of just making the same old thing. I'm looking forward to all 3 becoming successful, I'm their market, have been for over 15 years, but maybe I'm out of touch too.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by Utinni

Good fictional work there, you should do more. 

Prior to SOE live in 2013, I believe it was even before E3 2013. Smed promised to have a playable version of EQnext at SOE live 2013

true - Smed can be twisty

Jan 2013

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/184805/MMO_devs_will_lose_the_fight_against_content_churn_says_SOEs_Smedley.php#.UQGN7m8718G

EverQuest Next was a black box project for years - and it was only last month that Smedley and the team showed it to the EverQuest and EverQuest 2 teams. Smedley says he was so nervous the night before the presentation that he couldn't sleep - but that both teams received it enthusiastically.

Players will have to wait a bit longer to try it themselves, but maybe not as long as you'd expect. "Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we're doing late [this] year - and I don't mean a beta," says Smedley.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Next year is so far away! But I am not surprised. 2014 is the year for Landmark. I could see beta being Q1/Q2 2015 and release Q3/Q4 2015.

• MMOreaverMMOreaver Member UncommonPosts: 75

Hopefully they have something playable around X-mas

If not, I hope for Albion Online and/or Shards Online..

ppl are fed up waiting years for nothing.. and all those wannabe blockbusters in the last years disappointed

if they cannot deliver 2015.. Blizzard will stomp them and the whole market

If you wait a bit Blizzard assimilates all good ideas/features anyway.. from EQ2 to Rift.. and look who rules the market? sad ;(

Originally posted by MMOreaver

ppl are fed up waiting years for nothing.. and all those wannabe blockbusters in the last years disappointed

If you wait a bit Blizzard assimilates all good ideas/features anyway.. from EQ2 to Rift.. and look who rules the market? sad ;(

Besides Blizzard, no other AAA company/game in the works with the same broad approach as SOE currently. They can afford to wait and put out a high quality (deserving that AAA tag) game instead of rushing it out like so many other games that had millions dumped into them with little to show for it.

Blizzard is a monster though. I'm a gamer first, so whomever makes the best game wins my money/time. Having a hard time imagining what their next game will be though. Without cannibalizing WoW, hard to see them making another fantasy mmorpg that would be what EQN or mmorpg fans in general would be after. From the sounds of it (lack there of), there next project is much further away then EQN though. Time will tell.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    This game will never, and I mean never see the light of day for years to come.   back in 2009 they showed us a demo, and since have remade the game over three different times.    They just keep stringing you along and using this NEXT title as hype to get you thinking about SOE once again.    They wont releease this thing until after a few years of Landmark being released.   Sad really.   Waiting this long for a new EQ
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

In SOE Live in August 2013, the promise "for a hands-on experience of the game" was for Landmark, not EQN. And they were pretty good in keeping with the time schedule, since the game launched for Alpha testing in late Jan. 2014.

• SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by DMKano

My guess - won't see EQNext launch til 2017.

My other guess - EQN will not be anywhere near what they promised in 2013 - I mean not even close.

I would love to be wrong - I really would in this case.

you're being pessimistic, and your prediction is totally out of whack, dude if landmark is out and functional, why on earth do u think they need 3 more years to roll out EQN?

that's just silly 

Originally posted by SupaAPE
    Originally posted by DMKano

My guess - won't see EQNext launch til 2017.

My other guess - EQN will not be anywhere near what they promised in 2013 - I mean not even close.

I would love to be wrong - I really would in this case.

you're being pessimistic, and your prediction is totally out of whack, dude if landmark is out and functional, why on earth do u think they need 3 more years to roll out EQN?

that's just silly 

Well I wonder as well. SoE live last year we were told we were going to see EQN, not a demo but something playable. Didnt happen. With a release date of 2014 now changed to 2015. Landmark was to build EQN and it seems they are only now getting to building Dark Elves. Still have a lot of races to go. My personal guess at this point is late 2014 if things go really well. Early 2016 would not seem unreasonable. 

• VolumendsVolumends Member UncommonPosts: 41

My guess:

Landmark - open beta in late 2014, release in beggining of 2015

EQ:N - aplha middle 2015, closed beta end of 2015, open beta/release beggining of 2016

MSI GE70 - i7-4700MQ, GeForce GT 750M, 8gb ram, 750gb 7200RPM HDD and 128gb SSD

• OminousDawnOminousDawn Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Allein

Besides Blizzard, no other AAA company/game in the works with the same broad approach as SOE currently. They can afford to wait and put out a high quality (deserving that AAA tag) game instead of rushing it out like so many other games that had millions dumped into them with little to show for it.

Blizzard is a monster though. I'm a gamer first, so whomever makes the best game wins my money/time. Having a hard time imagining what their next game will be though. Without cannibalizing WoW, hard to see them making another fantasy mmorpg that would be what EQN or mmorpg fans in general would be after. From the sounds of it (lack there of), there next project is much further away then EQN though. Time will tell.

WoW has been a blessing and a curse for the MMORPG genre.  Yes, it did revolutionize the genre in many ways, but it also stigmatized it.  The most obvious draw back that everyone agrees with is the slew of WoW clones that followed its success thereby discouraging innovation.  The other factor not so obvious is that it caused Blizzard to sit on their laurels and just be content with the cash cow that is WoW for going on a decade now, to the detriment of developing a successor that could have advanced the genre.

The game you are looking for requiring no PvE completion and where you can just jump in and start mindlessly shooting at people is that way - >>>>

... it's called an FPS.

Quit ruining the MMORPG genre with your constant "PvE grind" whines.

Originally posted by Volumends

My guess:

EQ:N - aplha middle 2015, closed beta end of 2015, open beta/release beggining of 2016

Landmark release is 2nd 1/4 this year. Its just around the corner. 

i doubt we will see Blizzards mmo until 2017

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/28/blizzard-delays-unannounced-mmo-until-2016-resets-whole-project-exclusive/

Blizzard quote:  Note that we haven’t announced any dates for the MMO

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 274

Right now SOE is using Landmark to build and test all the parts that will be used to make EQ Next.

So far that have built and tested claiming land, mining, harvesting, some crafting, building, porting from place to place, water  (oceans),  caves, and swimming.  Along with buying and selling using player studio, plus all the problems of using real money to buy things, plus the major problem with the IRS and state and local taxes on everything bought and sold.

They still have things like falling damage, death, combat, mobs. weapons, lakes and streams, place able water, and player races to build and test.

We should be hearing much more about both Landmark and EQ Next shortly at SOE Live.   But I am thinking that we will not see player testing of EQ Next till early 2015 and live launch maybe in late 2015.

• VolumendsVolumends Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

My guess:

Landmark release is 2nd 1/4 this year. Its just around the corner. 

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/the-new-improved-blueprint-updated-5-23-14.34413/

I don't think you are right. They have planned route to august. So 2 months from now. But from what I read it doesn't look like a finished game. Or am I missing something or I have old infos?

MSI GE70 - i7-4700MQ, GeForce GT 750M, 8gb ram, 750gb 7200RPM HDD and 128gb SSD

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/the-new-improved-blueprint-updated-5-23-14.34413/

I don't think you are right. They have planned route to august. So 2 months from now. But from what I read it doesn't look like a finished game. Or am I missing something or I have old infos?

i agree with you - i expect EQNL in Q4 2014

the feature blueprint was last updated 05/23/2014

Death!: Yup, health and damage systems are coming into the game. Along with the ability to die, we'll also be adding Shields, which is a system of defenses you can use to avoid that pesky death thing.

Death is slated to be a June feature

but probably won't see Death until July/August when Combat is due