Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF MMORPG - PvE Focus, Skills, No/High Level Cap

LiquidWolfLiquidWolf Member CommonPosts: 516

I'm trying to locate any and all MMORPGs with the following:

• Focus on PvE
  • Skills - A wide array of skills to train/improve, the more the better.
  • No/High Level Cap - I'd like to just keep going forever... constantly improving.
Those are the primary concerns. Housing, flight/glide, and lots of exploration would be a bonus. Ships and mounts as well.

I want to be able to use any skill and armor/weapon combination I like... and not have to worry too much about a "best build" simply to complete content. I don't want to be limited by "You can choose between hundreds of skills, but can't use certain ones together."

Optional content like farming, crafting, and pets would be a plus too.

I'm tired of levels... I am weary of being stuck in a single class.

I enjoy exploration, dungeons, and a community more focused on experiencing a world together. I don't mind PvP, but I don't want that to be the sole focus of the game and community. If the end goal is only PvP, then it probably isn't for me.

Tell me about the games you have experienced.

Titles I'm Researching Currently
Ryzom
Mabinogi
ArcheAge
Istaria - Thanks VengeSunsoar
The Secret World - Thanks Saio3

Titles I have played
WoW
LotRO
SWtOR
ESO
Warhammer Online
Mortal Online
Darkfall
EVE
Vanguard
Everquest 2
FFXIV: ARR
Guild Wars 2
Age of Conan

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Comments

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Istaria. Lvl 100. Dozens of adventure and crafting classes abd you can lean every single craft/class in the game. Housing with hundreds of options including a lair for dragons. And dragons can fly.

No one had maxed all the classes yet.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • Saio3Saio3 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Those 3 points are covered on The secret world. Quest are superb, The setting is awesome. I'm not currently playing but it is a game that is always updated on my hd.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    So you haven't played Age Of Conan or The Secret World?

• LiquidWolfLiquidWolf Member CommonPosts: 516

I played Age of Conan at release, but not The Secret World.

I'm going to add it to my list here to check out. I've always been more of a fantasy guy, but don't mind looking into it.

I'll edit my played history too.

If you have anything to add about AoC or TSW, please let me know. I'm more than willing to take a look at games that have changed over the years.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Anarchy Online did all of that over a decade ago.  High level cap (220 last I knew), tons of skills, mostly PvE, etc.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

I know a lot of "old timer" gamers that bring up AO frequently.

It is on my to-do list to investigate at some point.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    if you want to add to it an "side game", try explorer sandbox game therian saga
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The Secret World might be perfect OP. No levels, tons of skills, and PvE focused. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Originally posted by Benedikt
    if you want to add to it an "side game", try explorer sandbox game therian saga

Thanks for the idea. I've enjoyed those kinds of games on the side, so will see what this one has to offer.

Originally posted by Gorwe
    TSW should be perfect for the OP, but the combat leaves a LOT to be desired. And no, it's not about the animations. It's about the same skills all over the place and it feels just...uninspired.

Have you played Tor? If you love PvE and you love stories(Kotor style), it should be perfect. Hell, I'd suggest it to anyone who loves PvE.

I did play SWtOR at release, and though it was a good game I also found that it was released a bit too soon. I stopped after a few months, but hear that it has gained a lot of ground since release. Which I believe the cause of most of my frustrations with MMORPGs is jumping in at release, when I should look into something that has some years under the belt.

I'll give it a while before jumping back in... especially with all these great suggestions I keep getting. It seems a lot of people push me towards Secret World, so I'm going to check it out.

Keep them coming if you all have more suggestions, or experiences in these games.

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    I agree with Secret World and you might also want to try Defiance, which just recently went F2P

imageimage

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    TSW should be perfect for the OP, but the combat leaves a LOT to be desired. And no, it's not about the animations. It's about the same skills all over the place and it feels just...uninspired.

Have you played Tor? If you love PvE and you love stories(Kotor style), it should be perfect. Hell, I'd suggest it to anyone who loves PvE.

ITs funny how often a pay to play game gets mentioned when someone is asking for a game....Like this poster says, while TSW does offer some of the things you mentioned, the combat, which is 90% of the game, is flat out awful......It ticks me off that people want you to waste 30 bucks (or whatever they charge now) for garbage games like this.

Originally posted by Theocritus

ITs funny how often a pay to play game gets mentioned when someone is asking for a game....Like this poster says, while TSW does offer some of the things you mentioned, the combat, which is 90% of the game, is flat out awful......It ticks me off that people want you to waste 30 bucks (or whatever they charge now) for garbage games like this.

If there is some kind of trial/buddy pass thing, I will try to introduce myself to the game via that route...

I am able to overlook poor combat IF the rest of the game compensates for that... but that is very rarely the case.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Asheron's Call fits the bill as well

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by LiquidWolf

I'm trying to locate any and all MMORPGs with the following:

• Focus on PvE
    • No/High Level Cap - I'd like to just keep going forever... constantly improving.
    Those are the primary concerns. Housing, flight/glide, and lots of exploration would be a bonus. Ships and mounts as well.

I want to be able to use any skill and armor/weapon combination I like... and not have to worry too much about a "best build" simply to complete content. I don't want to be limited by "You can choose between hundreds of skills, but can't use certain ones together."

Optional content like farming, crafting, and pets would be a plus too.

I'm tired of levels... I am weary of being stuck in a single class.

I enjoy exploration, dungeons, and a community more focused on experiencing a world together. I don't mind PvP, but I don't want that to be the sole focus of the game and community. If the end goal is only PvP, then it probably isn't for me.

Tell me about the games you have experienced.

Titles I'm Researching Currently
    Ryzom
    Mabinogi
    ArcheAge
    Istaria - Thanks VengeSunsoar
    The Secret World - Thanks Saio3

Titles I have played
    WoW
    LotRO
    SWtOR
    ESO
    Warhammer Online
    Mortal Online
    Darkfall
    EVE
    Vanguard
    Everquest 2
    FFXIV: ARR
    Guild Wars 2
    Age of Conan

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

The only one I can think of that would satisfy everything you've said is Eve, but you mentioned you played it. How far did you get in it?

Where's the any key?

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by LiquidWolf
    Originally posted by Theocritus

If there is some kind of trial/buddy pass thing, I will try to introduce myself to the game via that route...

I am able to overlook poor combat IF the rest of the game compensates for that... but that is very rarely the case.

There's a buddy key thread here on mmorpg.com, you get 3 days of game time with that. I don't think I have one available, but the thread is pretty active.

Theocritus it's easy, first of all, "combat is flat out awful" yep, according to one group. There's an another group which has no problem with the combat. Probably the posters are thinking, let OP try it and decide from first-hand experience...

Second, "combat is 90% of the game" sadly that's a trend nowadays, games are no rpg's anymore, more like slaughterhouse simulators :) but if there's an exception, or at least an attempt for being different, then that's TSW, with the lore, the sabotage and investigation missions, and the truckload of deck options for support...

and a third for why the many TSW suggestion, opposing to your "while TSW does offer some of the things you mentioned" opininon, it's definitely not a mere some...

OP wrote

• Focus on PvE
    • No/High Level Cap - I'd like to just keep going forever... constantly improving
    That could come straight from a TSW review...
    Looks like plenty of people have a TSW friend/trial code. So I've managed to snag one and will test it out.