Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Couple of Questions

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

I have a couple of questions about GW2:

1)  Can the game's best gear be obtained from the auction house?

2)  How does dodging work?  Are there red telegraphs on the ground to dodge out of?

Thanks!

Comments

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

1. Weapons, as in legendary, yes, but generally no, you need to craft ascended or have extremely extreme luck in drop (from anywhere ti drops ascended mats even jumping puzzles)

2. Dodging is complete avoidance of damage, you can dodge both telegraphed and regular attacks. There are some telegraphed attacks but more often its "telegraphed" by animation rather than red circles.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

1) The "best" gear depends on what you gonna do.

PVP = does not matter

PVE- dungeons = yes, you can buy exotics an thats enought!

PVE-Fractals = no, you need to craft ascended so you have a special item slot that you can only put "infusion" so you increase your "Agorny Resistance"(The grater the fractal level the higher the agony damage, unavoidable).

The increase in damage from exotics to ascended is very low (~0.5%).

2) Dodge is not like darksouls or fighting games. Dodge in Gw2 is an animated invencible window (around 2 secs, with 2 dodge available before depleting, it regens over time). 

There are big red circles on the ground that are good indicator to get out, however other melee atacks, like Lupicus (Arah dungeon boss) that are quick animation that with a lil o practice you can end up avoiding withj dodging.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean

2)  How does dodging work?  Are there red telegraphs on the ground to dodge out of?

Thanks!

1) Weapons yes. Armor no, needs to be crafted and it is account based. Trinkets/rings/amulet/earrings can be acquired with ingame currency from specific NPC vendors.

2) Dodge is both a directed movement and a few invincible frames. AoE attacks will displayed as red circles. Melee attacks (even if hit more than one target) won't.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153
    You can buy an entire exotic set of gear from the trading post.
  • pepenlorpepenlor Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by Yaos

exotic is NOT the top tier. Ascended is, which is either crafted or dropped (tho drop rates are pretty low in my experience)

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by pepenlor
    Originally posted by Yaos

exotic is NOT the top tier. Ascended is, which is either crafted or dropped (tho drop rates are pretty low in my experience)

Agree, I have played about 1300 hours and all I have gotten is an ascended ring that I allready had so if you want to get lucky with droprates on ascended gear your gonna be playing a loooooooooooong time.

• zonjimasenzonjimasen Member UncommonPosts: 32

1) When it comes to best gear, you have to understand how the tier works in GW2 in comparison with other MMOs.

In most MMO, there are tiers(rarity), and then in each tier, the stat distribution varies greatly between gear. Most items, such as Raid gears, or dungeon ones sometimes gives unique bonuses for the set.

In GW2,  there are tiers(rarity). But the stat distribution is flat in the tier (means all rare gear have equal amount of stat distribution). Gears dont have unique bonuses, but those kind of bonuses comes from Runes/Sigil, which is a form of augmentation. Tiers come in Normal-Fine-MasterWork-Rare-Exotic-Ascended

GW2 use prefix/suffix system for the gear stats : http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item_nomenclature

Since it use the 'major' and 'minor' stat, stat distribution between gear in same tiers are pretty much the same, even unique(named) or dungeon drops.

For GW2, there are 2 opinions on 'best in slot`, exotic and ascended.

Exotic Gear has multiple sources : Drops, crafting, Dungeon(tokens), Temple(karma), or WvW(badges). Drops and crafted armor are tradeable by nature, which means you can sell them from TP. Price vary between Item Nomenclature, with offensive ones being the pricier.

Ascended Gear is different than the previous tiers. They are largely time-gated to craft for Weapons/Armor. The trinkets are also obtainable through Guild Missions, or WvW, or Fractals, (which are also time gated by daily/monthly laurels)since they are not craftable.

Statistically, Ascended are better than Exotic (in a very small difference, I think about <5% in full set, even in a Power-based set, even less effective for Condition ones, and defensive ascended is pretty much pointless). Does that make them best in slot? Yes. Statistically speaking.

Realistically? Exotic is the best bang for your buck, and still the `best in slot` for many. Ascended in general, is NOT the end-of-all. Ascended are largely only needed for very high end Fractal runs, where you need the agony slot that only ascended items gives. 

Figure it like this way,(this comes from my experience in playing Lotro): Raid gears is the `best in slot` in general, but those raid bonuses from raid gears are pretty pointless/unneeded for non-raid content. Same case for Ascended.

2) Dodging gives you a small window of invincibility. What you need to dodge is something you`ll learn as playing the game. In general, 'Red Area' means danger zone, and doesnt entirely mean 'dodge out of this'. Moves that you NEED to dodge are something you need to figure out. In PVP, its largely knowing the animation of your enemies to dodge their attacks proactively. In PVE, you either dodge hard hitting moves from certain mobs that are largely telegraphed(not on the ground ofc), or dodge multiple red fields.

To make it simple, you dodge NOT because you want to get out of the harm's way(red areas), but mostly because of the invuln frames.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean

Thanks!

No the best gear cannot be bought from the auction house

Some attacks have telegraphs others don't. Dodging is handled by making you invulnerable during the dodge frame.

The combat system is pretty responsive most of the time, but it isn't without issues. Sometimes the game doesn't register dodging properly, but it's nothing that's going to make you rage quit. I'd recommend the game for the journey of 1-80, it has one of the more enjoyable leveling experiences out there.

Be prepared to grind for months for the best gear though.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.