Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is It Dead? (Jim)

willstelterwillstelter Member Posts: 19

So.. out of curiosity, to those that have played recently or previously, how is the game? How is the population? Is it playable/able to achieve end-game items alone?

I never game the game a chance with it's poor launch - even when it went F2P. Thinking about giving it a shot now, but what's the point taking the time to level if there's no population at the end-game to do dungeons or other mmo-like things.

Looking for some real feedback; no troll-feeding.

Thanks.

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Go to the official forums.  That tells you all you need to know.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    My the look of things, the expansion has finally been finished, but given what I have seen of the game and the other f2p games on the market, this game is not only dead, but has been since launch.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    It's dead..

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Nah, just mostly dead. ^^  Its free, anyone can check it out and make up their own mind if they enjoy it or not.  I came in at launch, and played to cap (50 if I remember right).  This was the second time for Dave Allen (first was Horizons, now Istaria) and also the second time for him being back stabbed.  But thats water under the bridge at this point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Allen_%28game_designer%29

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Its a Zombi - it does not know that it is dead and eats your money if you let it.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Nah, just mostly dead. ^^  Its free, anyone can check it out and make up their own mind if they enjoy it or not.  I came in at launch, and played to cap (50 if I remember right).  This was the second time for Dave Allen (first was Horizons, now Istaria) and also the second time for him being back stabbed.  But thats water under the bridge at this point.

Being stabbed in the back and fired for poor performance are two very different things.

• dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    The last current news was on October 11, 2012. That's not a good sign. I would consider this game dead.

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805

This game should have been put to rest long ago.  Derek Smart had so many plans, oh boy...  Nothing worked out obviously because Alganon was a failed product right out of the gate.  Nothing Dsmart could have done would have saved it, not that I have a lot of faith in him as a developer anyways.  I respect him as a indie developer but I do question his abilities when it comes to a project of this size.

Alganon:  Dead.  Let it stay that way because it's worthless in today's industry.

I like to complain about games.
    Originally posted by Ridrith

This game should have been put to rest long ago.  Derek Smart had so many plans, oh boy...  Nothing worked out obviously because Alganon was a failed product right out of the gate.  Nothing Dsmart could have done would have saved it, not that I have a lot of faith in him as a developer anyways.  I respect him as a indie developer but I do question his abilities when it comes to a project of this size.

I don't believe Alganon was ever salvageable. The game was designed with the idea that they could cobble together a very poor World of Warcraft clone and ask for a subscription. There are core design problems in Alganon that would be better off starting from scratch than trying to fix.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Wraithone

You know, I could believe the "being stabbed in the back" thing the first time.

But twice in a row? With two different games, with his ousting being due to rather similar circumstances (though not exactly the same?)

Not to mention at least one other project he'd attempted to get off the ground but failed (Dominion).

I'm gonna have to go with it being more to do with David Allen's shortcomings, and less to do with "backstabbing" (not that some of that might not have been involved, in a "necessary evil" capacity).

He's got a great mind for game design - no question (at least in my opinion). I loved his original vision for Horizons at least. Even the released game maintained some of what he'd created. Alganon, not as much; it has some cool ideas (the concept of Families, etc), but it's too blatantly inspired by WoW. He's got creativity and an ability to think on a large/epic scale. Now, if he could team up with people who are able to actually perform the stuff he isn't, and let him focus on what he's good at... designing and creating... there might be something there.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    The game was sadly dead when it launched. Derek Smart banning & driving off any and all longtime supporters of the game with his usual trollish, mean-spirited, and verbally abusive behavior merely sealed the deal.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

David Allen may have gotten some good points with Horizons (though i played it from the start and it was a broken mess of a game and i left it very soon after) but Alganon is full fail and he has to be blamed for it.

Derek Smart isnt the best Evangelist on earth too but its a miracle that the game made it to release and stil runs.

I guess the game works as sort of a Tax-Avoidance-Business.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• brandonlambbrandonlamb Member UncommonPosts: 2

There has actually been some players lately, myself included. I dabbled playing this over the years, but then I started playing with someone and we leveled up to 50.

The game is actually pretty fun, for the WoW classic nostalgic gameplay. However, yea it is pretty dead. The upcoming expansion could breath some new life into it. If there was more content it would be pretty good.

For a free to play, wow-like game though, I had a lot of fun leveling up, even with its shortcomings.

I am looking the next F2P game to take up my time now though

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Derek and the rest of the crew don't even give the game attention anymore..lez say rip Alganon!

And I dont miss it one bit.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Yeah I was in the very first Beta not something I'm proud of,and was constantly amazed that they were launching in a week as the game was in such a state it was laughable as they were insisting it was ready for a full launch.

Then of course the shit hit the fan after the great unwashed saw what we saw and knew it was crap,so then came the soft launch and Mr Smart was the so called saviour,yeah right at that point I knew what was coming and avoided it like the plague !!

p>
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Derek Smart even working on this anymore? I thought he was doing some other space MMO?

Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Derek Smart even working on this anymore? I thought he was doing some other space MMO?

3000AD is working on both, I believe. Line of Defense is the MMOFPS. The expansion to Alganon is coming out in a day or so.

• pdq2004pdq2004 Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Hey, come give Alganon a try. It may not be GW2, WoW, etc., but is still fun. I know there are not a lot of folks playing it but we hope to change that. I am on the Talrok (Jujix) side and belong to the Legends guild. We will help you get started. We will even buy you a mount and help gear you up. Hah. Optimus is guild leader.  And it is TRULY free! Lol. See you there.
  • FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109

I was wondering if someone was going to necro one of these threads. :-)

Been playing Alganon occasionally since launch. Actually, there are some features (lore included) I've sometimes enjoyed about it. Problem has always been, the market is saturated. If there is a guild playing & enjoying Alganon, more power to them. Usually, it has come down to a choice: is there anything else I really would want to play more or that I enjoy more than Alganon? Sadly it's always been "yes."

There are at least 25 MMOs (if not more) that always meet that criteria: LoTRO, GW2, EQ2, EVE, Wildstar, Rift, Arche Age, SWTOR, Planetside 2, WoW, Vanguard, FFXIV, TSW, Path of Exile, Vindictus, Fallen Earth, Ryzom, Runes of Magic...

That's really just for starters. All of the above are vastly superior to Alganon in almost every conceivable way and many of these are very different from each other. All of the above have haters, fanboys, and neutral players. I haven't seen any of them decide, "Let's drop this for Alganon. We can't wait to get over there!" Some of them haven't even launched yet...

There is simply no real reason to play Alganon when you could get almost anything that is so much more...well, more.

As some have observed, Derek Smart's "If You Don't Like This Game Go Away Because It Doesn't Matter To Me" approach on the forums hasn't won Alganon many new fans. Still, if you really like Alganon presumably you could ignore that and just keep on playing.

So to pdq and his guild, best of luck and I hope you keep on enjoying Alganon as long as it's around. :-)

• brandonlambbrandonlamb Member UncommonPosts: 2

I was playing this for some three months I think, #1 on raptr it looks like lol.

I actually had fun leveling up for the nostalgic WoW experience. What did the game in for me was the expansion that was released in I believe January. It broke combat, added bugs, flying was added but it was very low-rate (animations were poor and weird flight control).

Some of us waited for patches but then came Neverwinter, Wildstar, others. Four or more of us started playing Neverwinter and I have been playing ESO recently. Ive logged back into Alganon a couple of times but there are always zero players. There also is no end game to speak of.

The expansion should have added more PVE and leveling content. Their idea for the whole alliance with the new race just doesnt work when there is no player base. There is zero economy or auction house because of no player base. There is really no point to crafting because there isnt really anything worth crafting.

I really wanted to play longer, and I think it could be a decent freebie MMO to play that feels like WoW classic if they tweaked and added some content. But, 5 months later to fix some bad bugs and after playing Neverwinter and ESO, Im not finding a reason to go back.