Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's It About?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

So what, exactly, do you do in Second Life?  Do you just walk around and socialize?

Thanks!

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Kinda neat.  Has the game undergone a graphical update since release?
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    Kinda neat.  Has the game undergone a graphical update since release?

yes...awhile back.

but more interesting is that they are starting an Oculus Rift conversion which I will link as a new subject. I am not a SL player myself but I am a rabid VR fan

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/24/second-life-oculus-rift-virtual-world

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KOOLLAYDKOOLLAYD Member UncommonPosts: 25

Second Life is not really a game. It's a social network. Just be careful when dealing with people there. Only reason it's even on this site and classed as a game is because of it's creative aspect. You just got to be careful when dealing with people there because just like in real life your gonna run into alot of bad apples there. That being said there are alot of good people who play there so just choose wisely at what you get yourself into. Also there is a learning curve to the game. There are no real tutorials that could help ingame so I recommend googleing alot of info on it. Also may help you to watch this as well.

It's a documentary called Life 2.0. You may find it imformative and gives you a sorta PG13 idea of what goes on in Second Life. Hope this helps. Good luck. :)

• theCharmedOnetheCharmedOne Member Posts: 3
    you can do so many things in secondlife, it is like in real life that you can go shopping, clubbing, meeting new friends, chatting, building, or just relax.  There are even so many places, beautiful ones, that you can go and check. http://secondlife.com/destinations you can use this destination guide. Have fun!
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

It's mostly known for it's seedy adult stuff, furries, and other weird things.

Aside from those facts though, there's a lot of creativity you can do in it.  You can create your own avatars, objects, clothing, textures, scripts, animations, terraforming, etc.  You can also own land and create your own virtual world, set up shops and start businesses, whether it's sci-fi or fantasy, or anything you want.

You can also sell your creations to other people and then exchange their in-game currency for real money.  People even create their own RPGs with combat huds.   You can also just be social or explore other people's lands and creations, or join/create groups or events.  Don't expect an MMORPG though.  It's mostly a social environment where you can customize your avatar by shopping for free stuff or buying them on their marketplace.

I tried it over 1.5 years ago, but it got really boring after several weeks.  Creating stuff was the only fun aspect of it in my opinion.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I'd tried Second Life a few times. I was really intrigued by the idea of making and selling content in there (I'm a graphics artist by trade/hobby, so hey... a little extra income never hurts :p).

Couple things turned me away from it.

The performance is always terrible, especially with the loading. The idea that an area is loading up to 3 minutes after I've loaded in (on a 30Mb download), is weird to me. I guess they download all the data as it's used, but man...

The controls are also awful to me. Would be so much better if they could implement WSAD/Mouse for at least standard movement, with camera being moved by right-clicking or toggling something.

Anyway!

The second thing that turned me away was that one of the first people I met and started talking to, was basically trying to swindle me into helping him with stealing stuff. I don't know how, but he started giving me a lot of info on "how to get stuff for free", and began offering to give me stuff he'd stolen himself.

I was a bit naive about this at first, but then realized something was fishy.. so I stopped logging in on that character altogether and then never went back.

Tried it again not long ago, and yeah.. I don't know. I wish they could

• UrsheyUrshey Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by theCharmedOne
    you can do so many things in secondlife, it is like in real life that you can go shopping, clubbing, meeting new friends, chatting, building, or just relax.  There are even so many places, beautiful ones, that you can go and check. http://secondlife.com/destinations you can use this destination guide. Have fun!

Nods, and this has captivated me more....image

• macey23macey23 Member Posts: 15
    Second Life is very much like Real Life. You can meet people, make friends. Go shopping, go dancing. Go to a live music performance. You can customize your avatar. You can buy or rent land, build a house, put in landscaping.  You can buy more land, and try to make a profit by renting it out to other residents. So go out and find what you enjoy!!!
  • tinkerbell21tinkerbell21 Member Posts: 11
    There are so many things you can do in SL, you can go to awesome parties, explore amazing places and appreciate some SL art, you can basically do anything you like. :)