Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So... Returned to GW2 after some time away..

Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Now that ANet has destroyed Lion's Arch... again...

I'm curious if they're going to build a third version of it... so they can destroy it again somewhere down the line?

Or maybe the third time will be a charm?

Wonder what they have against that poor place lol...

Comments

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

I'm curious if they're going to build a third version of it... so they can destroy it again somewhere down the line?

Well, the first time it was destroyed it was off camera, so it really barely counts. :c

But yes, they're supposed to be rebuilding Lion's Arch in a whole new architectural style.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by DMKano

Lions Arch was my least favorite zone - I was glad when it got destroyed, I was hoping for a permanent removal from game.

Oh well.

Some of the reworks on it are interesting.  It's a LOT more convenient for a lot of things, they're closer together AND redundantly distributed.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Well, the first time it was destroyed it was off camera, so it really barely counts. :c

But yes, they're supposed to be rebuilding Lion's Arch in a whole new architectural style.

True.. it happened in-between games, but... well.. they still destroyed it :p.

I hope the new layout is a bit better "compartmentalized" in terms of major areas. They had all that room to spread high traffic locations out, and yet crowded it all in a small area. Not so good for frame-rate, for sure.

... I'm still guessing they'll find some reason to destroy it again at some point anyway lol.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Lions Arch was my least favorite zone - I was glad when it got destroyed, I was hoping for a permanent removal from game.

Oh well.

I liked the theme of the city... The layout of it annoyed me, though.

It does/did have one of my favorite jumping puzzles, though, with that massive cave ordeal near one of vistas.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315

Oh well.

I liked the theme of the city... The layout of it annoyed me, though.

It does/did have one of my favorite jumping puzzles, though, with that massive cave ordeal near one of vistas.

Its still there just abit harder to get to

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I agree the layout of Lions Arch was annoying.  Haven't played in awhile but never liked the layout any of the times I played it.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    I agree the layout of Lions Arch was annoying.  Haven't played in awhile but never liked the layout any of the times I played it.

It was not so much about the layout, which was fine to me, but the fact that all people went there, leaving so many amazing cities totally underpopulated (Divinity's Reach for instance).

What ANet (and actually any MMORPG developer) should do is make all their cities linked with an easy to access FREE portal network, so that no city would be better than another.

Like Asura gates? Yeah, great idea except that there always been free portalling between all the cities and LA.

People tend to hang out in one city if there just is one faction, personally I do most of my crafting in DR though, like it better.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Oh well.

Agreed.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

It was not so much about the layout, which was fine to me, but the fact that all people went there, leaving so many amazing cities totally underpopulated (Divinity's Reach for instance).

What ANet (and actually any MMORPG developer) should do is make all their cities linked with an easy to access FREE portal network, so that no city would be better than another.

+1

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• XenoskaXenoska Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by kikosforever

+1

Are yall really that poor? haha

I'm curious to see if this would affect the economy.

Not that the gold sellers already don't.  -_-

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Loke666

Like Asura gates? Yeah, great idea except that there always been free portalling between all the cities and LA.

People tend to hang out in one city if there just is one faction, personally I do most of my crafting in DR though, like it better.

Sorry man, nope. Not free.

it IS free... asura gates cost you nothing and you can jump back and forth to every city from LA and from that city to LA.

Tho, not like the teleporting costs much, few silvers here or there.. it's a matter of selling a few junk items to cover the costs.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161

This is just wishful thinking, but...

I hope they rebuild Lion's Arch and add an area for Guild Housing.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well they are free and easy to access... But why someone will bother to get into more loading screens ???

i believe they could:

1. change the travel from the Mists to the home instance and not LionsArch

2. add functionality for home instance like elite crafting only in home area where there would be deployed the stations based on the character's profession ..

3. give to the players the ability to organize their home area (something i was hoping it would be in the release..) f.e. you done this chain of dynamic events ? from now on you will have this NPC or this building available in your home area, killed jormag ? get a huge bone of him into a trophy room and everytime you visit this bone get a buf for bonus dmg or life on jormag ...

staff like these would make the people moving more around the cities...

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Loke666

Sorry man, nope. Not free.

All the Asura gates are free. It's the map teleporting that cost money.

Travel expenses pretty much never affect city population. It always comes down to convenience. It doesn't matter what game it is, players will always gravitate to whatever city has the most convenient features / service, and the most of them. If you have a game with factions, each faction will do the same for their faction's respective cities.

In GW2, LA was the one city that you had access to everything in one clumped location. If you wanted to go out and quest in the world there was the travel fee, but it was negligible to anyone that knew how to sell vendor trash. Outside dungeons needed to be ported to regardless of what city you were in, so that didn't really help.

LA had all the crafts (as did all cities), but it also had convenient WvW gates, Fractals, a nearby auction house, and sPvP by default would kick you back to Lion's Arch once you left.

If you look at Guild Wars 1, more of the cities tend to be populated, because there isn't really a central hub for everything in the game. Different cities offer different things, different forms of pvp, different skills, different expansion content, armor, etc.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

The people who run GW2 have completely failed to understand why Kithicor Forest was so awesome.

The original EQ had zones that you needed to cross if you wanted to get somewhere. (Yes, it is no longer this way as they've introduced instant travel).

If you wanted to go from the commons to Rivervale you could attempt to cross Kithicor.. but if it was night time that usually meant a very scary invis run along the wall. The zone absolutely mattered to everyone in the game because the original EQ had an actual game world that mattered.

GW2 does not have a game world that matters. GW2 is a collection of instanced areas where users (players/gamers) can instantly travel between points by opening their map and clicking on a waypoint.

Anet can destroy LA a thousand times and nobody will ever care because Anet created a world that simply does not matter.

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

The people who run GW2 have completely failed to understand why Kithicor Forest was so awesome.

The original EQ had zones that you needed to cross if you wanted to get somewhere. (Yes, it is no longer this way as they've introduced instant travel).

If you wanted to go from the commons to Rivervale you could attempt to cross Kithicor.. but if it was night time that usually meant a very scary invis run along the wall. The zone absolutely mattered to everyone in the game because the original EQ had an actual game world that mattered.

GW2 does not have a game world that matters. GW2 is a collection of instanced areas where users (players/gamers) can instantly travel between points by opening their map and clicking on a waypoint.

Anet can destroy LA a thousand times and nobody will ever care because Anet created a world that simply does not matter.

Couldn't agree more. I'm stunned by the beauty of the world they made everytime i see it; but it just ends there. With waypoints i feel like they undermined the potential the world had. Now i understand that traveling from zone to zone would take ages; but i feel like there are way too many waypoints. They even added more as they released living story content.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

Feel free to walk wherever you want, you DONT have to use waypoints.

But as with all people like you two, its my way or it sucks. So youre better off away from GW2, thank you.

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    I think they succeeded with getting people to spread out to other cities. Ebonhawk, Rata Sum, and Divinity's Reach seem to be more popular.
  • cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136
    a better question might be - why are we getting recycled content and ideas, like nuking LA, versus new perm content?
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by cptndunsel
    a better question might be - why are we getting recycled content and ideas, like nuking LA, versus new perm content?

Because they know what we want.  We just don't know it.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Would be nice if they turn LA zone into a housing zone.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164

This jp was/is very easy!

To get through the dark room just adjust the gfx settings to make things brighter!!!