Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW is Still Great. They just need to fire everyone top level. No Content for 12 months is ridicules

1235»

Comments

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Blizzard greed. Fanboys in denial like to say how it's just good business, but WoW is the biggest and saddest example of how sub-fee does not guarantee steady and tight flow of updates and content. Even at WoW's peak of 12 million subs the update and content frequency was slow and low as hell, and they were swimming in cash, they still are, just not maybe drowning in it anymore.

Your argument would be valid *if* blizzard had a history of a steady and and tight flow of updates and content.  But they didn't.  They've always been terrible about it.  But people still played it because it was the biggest and baddest and humans are naturally drawn towards things that are popular.

I smell a bit of denial here. When you have the resources, it's completely up to you if you want to do something. Blizzard has the most resources of any MMO studio. Small games with little population does not have the resources, so they cant hire more folks to pre-produce content that is then easy to beta into the live game, Blizzard has the resources to pre-produce content for every month year(s) in advance, but they choose not to.

If you are saying that Blizzard is simply not capable to do this no matter how much money they have to spend, does it mean that Blizzard is extremely shit company for handling resources at hand, or does it mean that you are in denial and they dont care if you get enough content, since you are addicted and they need only to provide the bare minimum dose to keep you squirming in withdrawals but still paying.

Wow bro, you did an A+ job of putting all kinds of words into my mouth, and producing underlying meaning from quite literally nothing.

All i was doing is responding to the guy to say that using WoW as an example of why the subscription model isnt better for content production is a piss poor example.

Blizzard has always always been absolutely terrible about releasing content and patches, etc, in anything even resembling a timely fashion. Blizzard is ABSOLUTELY capable of doing it, and Rift proved you can release excellent content quickly without making billions of dollars like Blizzard does/did.

The simple fact is that Blizzard is/was Lazy as hell because they have a huge playerbase of diehard fanbois that they know they would have to basically molest the proverbial daughters of in order for those people to quit.  Combine that with the fact that WoW was most people's first MMO (and we all know how hard it is to quit your first MMO), and you have the resultant situation.

WoW exploded into the size it was in large part due to human psychology.  WoW was the game that made MMORPG's accessible to a broader aming audience.  So now it was "ok" to play an MMORPG if you were a casual gamer, it wasnt just for neckbeards living in the grandma's basement eating pizza rolls for breakfast.

WoW was/is a fad.  No MMO will ever, get anywhere close to 12 million subs.  Just won't happen. It was the perfect storm and human psychology of people seeing something popular and wanting to be "part of it" was a huge contributor.

I really actually hate Blizzard.  Yeah, they make well made games, i'll give them that much.  But it takes them forever and i think they take things for granted and i hope they're going to get a huge surprise next game they release.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• coorsguyscoorsguys Member Posts: 272
    Blizzard greed. Fanboys in denial like to say how it's just good business, but WoW is the biggest and saddest example of how sub-fee does not guarantee steady and tight flow of updates and content. Even at WoW's peak of 12 million subs the update and content frequency was slow and low as hell, and they were swimming in cash, they still are, just not maybe drowning in it anymore.

Your argument would be valid *if* blizzard had a history of a steady and and tight flow of updates and content.  But they didn't.  They've always been terrible about it.  But people still played it because it was the biggest and baddest and humans are naturally drawn towards things that are popular.

I smell a bit of denial here. When you have the resources, it's completely up to you if you want to do something. Blizzard has the most resources of any MMO studio. Small games with little population does not have the resources, so they cant hire more folks to pre-produce content that is then easy to beta into the live game, Blizzard has the resources to pre-produce content for every month year(s) in advance, but they choose not to.

If you are saying that Blizzard is simply not capable to do this no matter how much money they have to spend, does it mean that Blizzard is extremely shit company for handling resources at hand, or does it mean that you are in denial and they dont care if you get enough content, since you are addicted and they need only to provide the bare minimum dose to keep you squirming in withdrawals but still paying.

Wow bro, you did an A+ job of putting all kinds of words into my mouth, and producing underlying meaning from quite literally nothing.

All i was doing is responding to the guy to say that using WoW as an example of why the subscription model is better for content production is a piss poor example.

Blizzard has always always been absolutely terrible about releasing content and patches, etc, in anything even resembling a timely fashion. Blizzard is ABSOLUTELY capable of doing it, and Rift proved you can release excellent content quickly without making billions of dollars like Blizzard does/did.

The simple fact is that Blizzard is/was Lazy as hell because they have a huge playerbase of diehard fanbois that they know they would have to basically molest the proverbial daughters of in order for those people to quit.  Combine that with the fact that WoW was most people's first MMO (and we all know how hard it is to quit your first MMO), and you have the resultant situation.

WoW exploded into the size it was in large part due to human psychology.  WoW was the game that made MMORPG's accessible to a broader aming audience.  So now it was "ok" to play an MMORPG if you were a casual gamer, it wasnt just for neckbeards living in the grandma's basement eating pizza rolls for breakfast.

WoW was/is a fad.  No MMO will ever, get anywhere close to 12 million subs.  Just won't happen. It was the perfect storm and human psychology of people seeing something popular and wanting to be "part of it" was a huge contributor.

I really actually hate Blizzard.  Yeah, they make well made games, i'll give them that much.  But it takes them forever and i think they take things for granted and i hope they're going to get a huge surprise next game they release.

Haha WoW is/was a fad?  Yeah please post some links on other fads that have lasted TEN YEARS!

Oh you actually hate blizzard?  Is that because the new fad is to hate large successful companies!? 

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Its disgusting that Blizzard does not push out new contend for such long stretches of time.
    They have the biggest budget for the past 9 years.....
    undisputed king of subscriptions....
    yet studio's with 1/10 their budget release more contend then they do.

What makes matters worse is that the content they did release was the missing content, the content that should have been there in the first place. Its not a huge deal but does make you wonder, why we get an incomplete content for full  price and a sub.

Originally posted by coorsguys

All i was doing is responding to the guy to say that using WoW as an example of why the subscription model is better for content production is a piss poor example.

Haha WoW is/was a fad?  Yeah please post some links on other fads that have lasted TEN YEARS!

Oh you actually hate blizzard?  Is that because the new fad is to hate large successful companies!? 

A fad by definition is something that became extremely popular but hasn't been reproduced or continued to be popular.

Evidenced by the last 8-9 years of failed WOW clones.

Claiming success means its not a fad is a ridiculous argument.

Oh, you wanted some links?

Bell Bottoms, Mid 1960's - mid 1980's (I believe thats 20 years?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_bottoms#1960s_to_early_1980s

Pet Rocks

Lava Lamps

Banana Seats on bikes

Afros

Boom Boxes

Break Dancing

Slap Bracelets

I could literally go on for 20 more minutes.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

A fad by definition is something that became extremely popular but hasn't been reproduced or continued to be popular.

Pet Rocks

Lava Lamps

Banana Seats on bikes

Afros

Boom Boxes

Break Dancing

Slap Bracelets

Not sure where you got your definition of a fad but the real definition is:

fad[ fad ]

noun

1. a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., especially one followed enthusiastically by a group.

You forgot hating on successful companies.  That is the fad you are following.  See the key word was temporary something WoW by it's ten years has shown it's not temporary.  

• lareslocilaresloci Member UncommonPosts: 373

I haven't really read this whole thread but ...Blizzard CEO Robert Kotick promised:

Quote:

" It's important to note that the nature of online games has changed, and with the environment becoming far more competitive, especially with free-to-play games,” Kotick said during the call. “To address this, we're working to release new content more frequently to keep our players engaged longer and make it easier for lapsed players to come back into the game."

Source:

http://www.ibtimes.com/blizzard-ceo-world-warcraft-content-will-be-created-more-frequently-1248945

Yeap sure...

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

*snip*

Pet Rocks

Lava Lamps

Banana Seats on bikes

Afros

Boom Boxes

Break Dancing

Slap Bracelets

fad[ fad ]

noun

1. a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., especially one followed enthusiastically by a group.

You forgot hating on successful companies.  That is the fad you are following.  See the key word was temporary something WoW by it's ten years has shown it's not temporary.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fad

Hey guess what i can play the copy pasta game too!

"A fad is any form of behavior that develops among a large population and is collectively followed enthusiastically for a period of time, generally as a result of the behavior being perceived as popular by one's peers or being deemed "cool" by social media.[1] A fad is said to "catch on" when the number of people adopting it begins to increase rapidly. The behavior will normally fade quickly once the perception of novelty is gone."

Now, since we're in copy pasta mode, i'm going to show you the logical fallacy you committed by assuming I *hate succesful companies*  (which is especially hilarious given that I'm a huge fan of Microsoft, Nvidia, etc)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization

Hasty generalization is an informal fallacy of faulty generalization by reaching an inductive generalization based on insufficient evidence—essentially making a hasty conclusion without considering all of the variables.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

Too much content is not a good thing either.

In fact the lull in periods between expansions was always the best thing to play for titles or achievements.

I think that most who complain about this are not really playing an MMORPG, but rather a very narrow Raiding game.

Many players who play things like PvP Bg's, Arena's or play the AH or do professions play the real thing.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by Herase
    Originally posted by sportsfan

Just to add here that today it was announced Blizzard (not Activision) had MORE revenue in the first 3 months of 2014 than in the same period 2013.

132 million dollars extra revenue or 40% increase.

Content or not: 7.6 million players pay the monthly subscription and are happy.

Well not I'm suprised , they let people pre-order almost a year in advance so players would pay to get the level 90 boosts and they're a already selling them on the cash shop. I thought they would have least waited for the cap to be raised, but guess it was just to tempting :)

No surprise: Hearthstone was launched in March along with a last week launch of D3 expansion.

But Hearhtstone is probably good for 20-30 million dollars per month at the moment. It is top 5 in my region on the iPad for 6 weeks already.

At the same time it is clear that Hearthstone's Warcraft heroes is recruiting into a new player potential.

With 100 million iPads sold several thousands will download HS and like it and eventually they will download WOW to try out the "big" game behind the classes in the card game.

So it is quite natural Blizzard is not too concerned about the next WOW expansion.

*snip*

Pet Rocks

Lava Lamps

Banana Seats on bikes

Afros

Boom Boxes

Break Dancing

Slap Bracelets

fad[ fad ]

noun

"A fad is any form of behavior that develops among a large population and is collectively followed enthusiastically for a period of time, generally as a result of the behavior being perceived as popular by one's peers or being deemed "cool" by social media.[1] A fad is said to "catch on" when the number of people adopting it begins to increase rapidly. The behavior will normally fade quickly once the perception of novelty is gone."

Now, since we're in copy pasta mode, i'm going to show you the logical fallacy you committed by assuming I *hate succesful companies*  (which is especially hilarious given that I'm a huge fan of Microsoft, Nvidia, etc)

Hasty generalization is an informal fallacy of faulty generalization by reaching an inductive generalization based on insufficient evidence—essentially making a hasty conclusion without considering all of the variables.

Wow took you a week to come up with that! 

*snip*

Pet Rocks

Lava Lamps

Banana Seats on bikes

Afros

Boom Boxes

Break Dancing

Slap Bracelets

fad[ fad ]

noun

Wow took you a week to come up with that! 

Yeah, i have this thing called a job, and these other things called games that i play.  Spending time on the illustrious MMORPG.com forums is something i spend maybe 2 hours a week on.

That was some weak ass shit, thats all you got?

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Eh, I can wait 12 months for content updates that are more than what most entire games give you out of the box.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    WOWs problem is they oversimplified things for kids and  bad players and now they are having the issue of bad expansion layering bad mechanics on top of bad mechanics. For instance they removed talent trees for dumb people, not going to sugar coat that. Then they just use glyphs to supplement the talent trees to get your toon back to close to what you remember pre MOP. This is a useless profession and they just need to remove it and put talent trees back in and put a team in charge that can actually balance abilities unlike Ghostcrawler who was a moron and instead of fixing things removed them from the game.
  • bestman22bestman22 Member UncommonPosts: 93

I quit wow 2 weeks into pandaria. I hated that I had done every quest I could find in like 3 zones and that was hundreds of quests and was only level 88. Not to mention the dungeons I did run no one died even once nothing was hard, no real choices to make the entire time I was grinding (no talents, just pick a piece of gear from the quest, endless talk to quest giver whack a mole mobs and repeat ad nauseum....)  When you like to raid, pvp, and run dungeons that is just unacceptable to me (then again I just might not have the patience for leveling a character anymore)  I hear about the pre purchase and get a char boosted to 90 and think maybe I will do that till I see the price.

49 for an expansion.... ridiculous, new games are only 10 dollars more not just a crummy expansion with a bunch of dumbed down, mind numbingly boring crap. I thought that blizzard was actually trying to entice me back but boy was I wrong...