Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My rant on Wurm Online

Comments

• wuhsin88wuhsin88 Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by wuhsin88

...After playing Minecraft strictly on Survival mode for TWO DAYS I had a full set of enchanted diamond armor and tools. It would take two years to make that on your own in Wurm, and I'm not even exaggerating. After this, I just wondered why I had ever been stupid enough to give any money to Rolf...

I think I can see your problem right there OP. You're not looking for a "virtual world", you're looking for a "game". No harm in that, play Minecraft and stop frustrating yourself by trying to change Wurm into something it has no intention of being.

If Wurm is a "virtual world" then Minecraft is a "virtual omniverse" full of virtual worlds. Like it or not, Wurm is a GAME, and I as a consumer have every right to compare and contrast it to other games. If you're honestly telling me that Wurm is not a game, that is an actual world, I think you need to step outside and get some fresh air. 

Indeed, it seems I was correct in my initial assessment.

I also see why you had so many problems in Wurm. Nobody likes "that guy" that's trying to force his way up the "Down" elevator whilst yelling loudly that everyone else should go the other way...

Who are you to say what people like? Almost every complaining post I made on Wurm Online's official forum before I decided to give my account away and quit had multiple likes, and numerous other posters agreeing. Even that CA I mentioned who griefed that guy thought I was cool. I was actually a very popular character on my server, it's good to know you have a buddy who can instantly cure a bad wound, or solo that champion spider that's been chasing you for the past hour. People really like it when you do something for them FOR FREE that the other players would have charged 5-6 silver for, like putting a level 80 courier enchant on their mailbox.

It seems to me you're resorting to High School Girl bullying tactics, trying to discredit me through language manipulation and personal attacks. You can sit here and scream "Nobody likes you!" all you want. You can report me, flag my posts for spam, whatever. I'm going to post the truth about your beloved game, and people are going to read it. But don't worry too much. I will have absolutely ZERO IMPACT on whether or not Wurm succeeds. Because I KNOW that this game is capable of failing all by itself.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Distopia

...After playing Minecraft strictly on Survival mode for TWO DAYS I had a full set of enchanted diamond armor and tools. It would take two years to make that on your own in Wurm, and I'm not even exaggerating. After this, I just wondered why I had ever been stupid enough to give any money to Rolf...

I think I can see your problem right there OP. You're not looking for a "virtual world", you're looking for a "game". No harm in that, play Minecraft and stop frustrating yourself by trying to change Wurm into something it has no intention of being.

If Wurm is a "virtual world" then Minecraft is a "virtual omniverse" full of virtual worlds. Like it or not, Wurm is a GAME, and I as a consumer have every right to compare and contrast it to other games. If you're honestly telling me that Wurm is not a game, that is an actual world, I think you need to step outside and get some fresh air. 

I think you need to learn typical MMORPG gaming lingo...

Wurm (virtual world)

WOW (Game)

Hope that helps...

There are more players role playing, crafting, and interacting socially on WORLD of Warcraft than there are on Wurm any day of the week. How is WORLD of Warcraft not a virtual world? I can call almost any RPG or MMO a virtual world, it does not change the mechanics of that game. Even if I sit here and call WOW a virtual world, that doesn't make it any less theme-parky. Just because you and your buddy claim Wurm is a virtual world, that does not make all the immersion breaking issues I pointed out non-existent. So what if Wurm is a virtual world? Minecraft is a virtual Omniverse full of virtual Universes that are full of many virtual Worlds. In one day on Minecraft I can make more friends and build more than I could in a month of Wurm. I'd even wager I could make more friends in one day on Minecraft than you could in a YEAR playing Wurm. 

-sighs- you are aware you are coming off as someone eager to get to a goal fast damn the consequences, right? I get your frustrations at Wurm, I personally have never even managed to play the sodding thing with anywhere near an acceptable framerate, but the idea of a virtual world, just like a real one, is that it goes on without you, stuff happens there between other players or even NPC and/or critters, etc.

Also if you think Wurm is a game that wrings you out for every penny you have try playing Entropia Universe sometime :)) possible to do stuff without investing cash but it takes months of grinding the most insanely boring job in the game to do it first and you have no choice either that job or bust.

The game isn't for you, that's no great shame but your points about the dev catering to people with secondary agendas has been noted by me and I will downgrade this game accordingly in priority to below Gloria Victis (conditioned on them actually making the game run on machines without shitting itself).

Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Distopia

I think you need to learn typical MMORPG gaming lingo...

Wurm (virtual world)

WOW (Game)

Hope that helps...

There are more players role playing, crafting, and interacting socially on WORLD of Warcraft than there are on Wurm any day of the week. How is WORLD of Warcraft not a virtual world? I can call almost any RPG or MMO a virtual world, it does not change the mechanics of that game. Even if I sit here and call WOW a virtual world, that doesn't make it any less theme-parky. Just because you and your buddy claim Wurm is a virtual world, that does not make all the immersion breaking issues I pointed out non-existent. So what if Wurm is a virtual world? Minecraft is a virtual Omniverse full of virtual Universes that are full of many virtual Worlds. In one day on Minecraft I can make more friends and build more than I could in a month of Wurm. I'd even wager I could make more friends in one day on Minecraft than you could in a YEAR playing Wurm. 

-sighs- you are aware you are coming off as someone eager to get to a goal fast damn the consequences, right? I get your frustrations at Wurm, I personally have never even managed to play the sodding thing with anywhere near an acceptable framerate, but the idea of a virtual world, just like a real one, is that it goes on without you, stuff happens there between other players or even NPC and/or critters, etc.

Also if you think Wurm is a game that wrings you out for every penny you have try playing Entropia Universe sometime :)) possible to do stuff without investing cash but it takes months of grinding the most insanely boring job in the game to do it first and you have no choice either that job or bust.

The game isn't for you, that's no great shame but your points about the dev catering to people with secondary agendas has been noted by me and I will downgrade this game accordingly in priority to below Gloria Victis (conditioned on them actually making the game run on machines without shitting itself).

Don't get me wrong, I don't have to have everything on day two. I was actually expecting it to take much longer than that in Minecraft, and it probably would for most players. Two years of grinding ten hours a day though is just too much of an investment to be able to do ONE THING well in a virtual world. Even if we look at it as a virtual world rather than a game like these two guys want, the issues are the same, they are just as frustrating, and break immersion just as much, which is pretty bad since immersion is the whole point of living in a virtual world. (EDIT: Oh, and Minecraft servers DO go on and persist when you are not at the keyboard, so it's no less of a virtual world than Wurm.)

I haven't tried Entropia Universe, but it seems like it's using the same strategy as Wurm to try and squeeze every penny out of its players from what you're saying. Sure, you can pay for your premium time in Wurm by digging 10,000 dirts, and selling that to someone for 10 silver. But who has time for that? No one with a job. If I want to eat, I have to go to work, which means I don't have time for that. Nor do I want carpal tunnel or some other repetitive strain injury from doing the same thing all day. So yeah, I'm sure you get the general idea, the game inconveniences you all it can to make you pay.

I'm glad you took to heart my point about Rolf catering to a select group of players. As another poster validated, this is actually the case, it's not some tin-foil hat conspiracy. If I weren't so lethargic, I would have already provided links. That hasn't seemed necessary though, as the only counter-argument I've gotten to my complaints so far is, "It's a virtual world! Not a game! Nobody likes complainers!" Pretty sure I wasted enough time pointing out the idiocy of that strawman.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Someone with 5 posts calling someone with 2 posts a shill just because he disagrees with you in some way?  This thread is toast already.

It's like midget wrestling!!

Originally posted by psiic
    Someone with 5 posts calling someone with 2 posts a shill just because he disagrees with you in some way?  This thread is toast already.

It's not just that he only had two posts, it's that one post was to disagree with/attack me about every legitimate complaint I made about the game, and the other post was him admitting he had never actually played the game. Why do you go and defend a game you've never played on the internet on some forum that hardly anyone visits? Doesn't make sense to me.

It's not just that he only had two posts, it's that one post was to disagree with me about every legitimate complaints I made about the game, and the other post was him admitting he had never actually played the game. Why do you go and defend a game you've never played on the internet on some forum that hardly anyone visits? Doesn't make sense to me.

Just so you know dude... by what you've said... Entropia beats Wurm hands down... 10000 dirt does not sound as bad when you have to harvest sweat, a resource in Entropia, from animals using a specific device and the only way you will get a decent speed on it (even with failures, yes there are fail states for harvesting sweat) is to do this from creatures which will go ape shit if you do so you either have to literally Zoidberg around an entire area with a freight train of angry animals or you can zombie it out in the starter area where there are tons of creatures which a docile and you can sweat but which die after 10 or so units of it and it is an area perpetually filled with other players and bots... and sweat itself is like ...0.01 ped per 100 units with an average cycle yield of 8 (aggressive mobs) every 5 minutes.... and most items cost upwards of 10 ped and decay very fast.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

... But who has time for that? No one with a job. If I want to eat, I have to go to work, which means I don't have time for that. Nor do I want carpal tunnel or some other repetitive strain injury from doing the same thing all day...

As I said earlier, you clearly want to change the game to suit your needs. The same rants are directed at EVE-Online, and to similar effect: it's usually ignored.

Wurm is not like other games, and I'm betting that it's an intentional design. The game didn't launch last year, it's been around quite a while. The developer is no doubt fairly comfortable with its success to date. Otherwise the game design would have changed by now. I'm sure that there's been no end to the amount of forum "suggestions" over the years as to how the game could be "improved".

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Gardavsshade Some of what the OP complains of IS TRUE. Rolf and Devs have a bad habit of releasing new content that breaks the Code and then it can take literally months and even years for the new problems to be fixed. Rolf has always been this way. He still does it. Yes in the last few months being a owner of horses, cattle, and especially buffalo has been irritating with the "stand in one spot" bug, then they moved but trampled everything, then the buffalo got warp drive. Gives me a headache just remembering it all. About as fun as when the wooden fences suddenly acted like they weren't there and horses got out all over the servers a year or two ago. As for the committee thing.... Rolf DID handpick a "Player Committee" that he draws suggestions from, and the identities of the committee ARE SECRET, so as in any secret committee in human organizations it can not be truly trusted because it will never answer to the people it is supposed to represent. I myself consider the committee a fanboi club for I have no other way of knowing otherwise. I myself think this was stupid on Rolf's part, for it decreases our trust in him and in CodeClub as a MMO Provider. Other MMO Providers have done the same and I wasn't happy they did it either to be fair. ............ Wurm has these kinds of problems all the time. Why do I continue to play this game? Why do do I continue to support it? Not because I make money at it (as many do), but because there is only one MMO like Wurm, and I played many MMOs over the years, including Vanguard and Ishtaria (did not try Xsyon). There is no other MMO that allows Players to terraform, shape, and "frontier" a virtual world like Wurm. Yes there are new MMOs on the way that will provide similar features. Try Wurm online for yourself and see what you think... and be warned that Wurm is not perfect, but even with the problems it's imo awesome and THAT is why I still play it. I personally recommend you Try Wurm for yourselves.
     Wurm Online, and didn't really have any problems with it aside from the amount of time and money you have to pump into it just to maintain what you've already earned/made/bought.

If you buy a large deed it costs you more to maintain it.
    I had a medium sized deed with more than enough space for me, one spirt guard and my monthly cost was less than $20 a month.

You were already annoying me with your shameless fanboying, but you've officially resorted to shill tactics by quoting me out of context in order to make it seem like I don't have legitimate issues with the game. You've failed to respond to my valid complaints about animal AI, Rolf's secret council, and also did not account for the fact you must purchase, tools, weapons, and armor, which take damage from use, and lose quality from repair, so they must be constantly improved. You're misguiding people into thinking that this game will be for them, when in truth there are better alternatives out there.

$20 a month could be used to buy a movie, or even a subscription to Netflix for less than half that. For just $26 you can buy Minecraft and never have to invest money in that game again. When I build something in Minecraft, I don't have to pay Notch $20 every month just so it doesn't rot. Look at how many games there are on Steam you could buy for that twenty bucks, instead of spending it just so the deed you built does not disband or decay. There is a very good reason Wurm Online has less than a thousand players online at a given time, with OVER HALF of those being alt accounts used to get around limitations Rolf put in place to make people sub with multiple accounts.

Wurm screams greedy cash grab, basically. Buy a sword? Alright, well you'll have to pay the blacksmith to imp it after you use it a while. Same with that armor. Or you can spend two years grinding for 0.0001 weaponsmithing a day and make your own weapons. Bought a deed? Make sure you keep two months upkeep on it or it will decay, oh, and some of your items are STILL going to decay, EVEN THE ITEMS IN YOUR BULK STORAGE BIN OCCASIONALLY ROT AND DISAPPEAR. Want to build a graveyard on your deed to decorate? Sorry, the gravestone from that Champion Spider you solo'd went from 30 to 100 damage overnight because the server lagged. Guess you can go kill another one.

What's that, you don't think the decorations on your deed should decay because you have six months upkeep paid? Too bad, Rolf does, and if you don't like what Rolf does, gtfo. That's literally what players like Sean here will tell you when you go to complain on the forum about the service you're paying for. That's what I was told, anyway. If anyone doesn't believe me, I'll go dig up some links. I doubt Sean can provide any solid evidence for his "HerpaDUR everything is awesome!" argument.

DUDE!

$20 is an average cost of an MMO

what are you doing here complaining about the high cost of Wurm when it costs the same per month as any other MMO if not for many actually less.

what the hell?

can you spend more than $20 yes. Do you have to do that in order to have a large plot? no

I am unclear why you are complaining about paying $20 a month for an MMO when all the others charge the same

I hope me saying it more than once makes the question clear

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

It's not just that he only had two posts, it's that one post was to disagree with me about every legitimate complaints I made about the game, and the other post was him admitting he had never actually played the game. Why do you go and defend a game you've never played on the internet on some forum that hardly anyone visits? Doesn't make sense to me.

Just so you know dude... by what you've said... Entropia beats Wurm hands down... 10000 dirt does not sound as bad when you have to harvest sweat, a resource in Entropia, from animals using a specific device and the only way you will get a decent speed on it (even with failures, yes there are fail states for harvesting sweat) is to do this from creatures which will go ape shit if you do so you either have to literally Zoidberg around an entire area with a freight train of angry animals or you can zombie it out in the starter area where there are tons of creatures which a docile and you can sweat but which die after 10 or so units of it and it is an area perpetually filled with other players and bots... and sweat itself is like ...0.01 ped per 100 units with an average cycle yield of 8 (aggressive mobs) every 5 minutes.... and most items cost upwards of 10 ped and decay very fast.

not even close to the same game.

People play Wurm to build sh*t. 

boats, roads, houses, mines cities, villages, terraforming.

How the f*ck am I going to do that in Entropia?

Originally posted by Gardavsshade Some of what the OP complains of IS TRUE. Rolf and Devs have a bad habit of releasing new content that breaks the Code and then it can take literally months and even years for the new problems to be fixed. Rolf has always been this way. He still does it. Yes in the last few months being a owner of horses, cattle, and especially buffalo has been irritating with the "stand in one spot" bug, then they moved but trampled everything, then the buffalo got warp drive. Gives me a headache just remembering it all. About as fun as when the wooden fences suddenly acted like they weren't there and horses got out all over the servers a year or two ago. As for the committee thing.... Rolf DID handpick a "Player Committee" that he draws suggestions from, and the identities of the committee ARE SECRET, so as in any secret committee in human organizations it can not be truly trusted because it will never answer to the people it is supposed to represent. I myself consider the committee a fanboi club for I have no other way of knowing otherwise. I myself think this was stupid on Rolf's part, for it decreases our trust in him and in CodeClub as a MMO Provider. Other MMO Providers have done the same and I wasn't happy they did it either to be fair. ............ Wurm has these kinds of problems all the time. Why do I continue to play this game? Why do do I continue to support it? Not because I make money at it (as many do), but because there is only one MMO like Wurm, and I played many MMOs over the years, including Vanguard and Ishtaria (did not try Xsyon). There is no other MMO that allows Players to terraform, shape, and "frontier" a virtual world like Wurm. Yes there are new MMOs on the way that will provide similar features. Try Wurm online for yourself and see what you think... and be warned that Wurm is not perfect, but even with the problems it's imo awesome and THAT is why I still play it. I personally recommend you Try Wurm for yourselves.
     Wurm Online, and didn't really have any problems with it aside from the amount of time and money you have to pump into it just to maintain what you've already earned/made/bought.

I had a medium sized deed with more than enough space for me, one spirt guard and my monthly cost was less than $20 a month.

You were already annoying me with your shameless fanboying, but you've officially resorted to shill tactics by quoting me out of context in order to make it seem like I don't have legitimate issues with the game. You've failed to respond to my valid complaints about animal AI, Rolf's secret council, and also did not account for the fact you must purchase, tools, weapons, and armor, which take damage from use, and lose quality from repair, so they must be constantly improved. You're misguiding people into thinking that this game will be for them, when in truth there are better alternatives out there.

$20 a month could be used to buy a movie, or even a subscription to Netflix for less than half that. For just $26 you can buy Minecraft and never have to invest money in that game again. When I build something in Minecraft, I don't have to pay Notch $20 every month just so it doesn't rot. Look at how many games there are on Steam you could buy for that twenty bucks, instead of spending it just so the deed you built does not disband or decay. There is a very good reason Wurm Online has less than a thousand players online at a given time, with OVER HALF of those being alt accounts used to get around limitations Rolf put in place to make people sub with multiple accounts.

Wurm screams greedy cash grab, basically. Buy a sword? Alright, well you'll have to pay the blacksmith to imp it after you use it a while. Same with that armor. Or you can spend two years grinding for 0.0001 weaponsmithing a day and make your own weapons. Bought a deed? Make sure you keep two months upkeep on it or it will decay, oh, and some of your items are STILL going to decay, EVEN THE ITEMS IN YOUR BULK STORAGE BIN OCCASIONALLY ROT AND DISAPPEAR. Want to build a graveyard on your deed to decorate? Sorry, the gravestone from that Champion Spider you solo'd went from 30 to 100 damage overnight because the server lagged. Guess you can go kill another one.

What's that, you don't think the decorations on your deed should decay because you have six months upkeep paid? Too bad, Rolf does, and if you don't like what Rolf does, gtfo. That's literally what players like Sean here will tell you when you go to complain on the forum about the service you're paying for. That's what I was told, anyway. If anyone doesn't believe me, I'll go dig up some links. I doubt Sean can provide any solid evidence for his "HerpaDUR everything is awesome!" argument.

DUDE!

what are you doing here complaining about the high cost of Wurm when it costs the same per month as any other MMO if not for many actually less.

what the hell?

can you spend more than $20 yes. Do you have to do that in order to have a large plot? no

I am unclear why you are complaining about paying $20 a month for an MMO when all the others charge the same

Well to be fair the average first month cost of an MMO is around 40-60 USD with the monthly, sub, cost of around 15 so you're actually asking one third more than what a sub would and the number of people willing to pay a sub is in sharp decline.

DUDE!

what the hell?

EDIT:

actually I just looked it up.

Base account is $10 a month. This allows you to do anything in the game you want. You just have to do it on someone elses land rather than your own. Most players are not deed owners.

I know you can own your own deed, with protection for less than double the base account.

Also, I think the game itself is FREE..no up front cost. Just monthly fee

DUDE!

what the hell?

You're using the same shill tactics the fanboys at TamrielFoundry used when a lot of us decided to bash ESO. We'd point out a myriad of bugs, broken quests, shady business tactics, bad gameplay mechanics, lack of anything to do in PVE except quests, etc.

Then in ONE SENTENCE in one of our posts somewhere we'd mention that it's not worth the fifteen dollar sub every month. 

After that, every post from these fanboys was near identical to yours.

"It's only fifteen dollars a month."

First of all, that is only like one of a dozen complaints I've made against the game. Until you refute all my other arguments, it doesn't matter if the game is cheap or not. So what if it's not terribly expensive to buy a deed? It's still not worth it considering you will still suffer from decay. So what if it's not terribly expensive to premium so you can gain skill above 20? Paying to grind is kind of stupid now that I have seen true unrestricted freedom in an MMO that does not even require a sub.

Second, the game is NOT cheap, you are lying out of your fingers by typing this garbage. You never replied to my point about having to get your gear and tools imped/repaired constantly. You never touched on the prices of enchantments, a decent horse, a decent set of plate armor that actually is cheaper to replace entirely than imp back up.... 

You have to make a Strawman about ONE SENTENCE that I typed out of multiple walls of text. And you have the spine to gloat as if you've won? You suck at debate. Just saying.

DUDE!

what the hell?

You're using the same shill tactics the fanboys at TamrielFoundry used when a lot of us decided to bash ESO. We'd point out a myriad of bugs, broken quests, shady business tactics, bad gameplay mechanics, lack of anything to do in PVE except quests, etc.

Then in ONE SENTENCE in one of our posts somewhere we'd mention that it's not worth the fifteen dollar sub every month. 

After that, every post from these fanboys was near identical to yours.

"It's only fifteen dollars a month."

First of all, that is only like one of a dozen complaints I've made against the game. Until you refute all my other arguments, it doesn't matter if the game is cheap or not. So what if it's not terribly expensive to buy a deed? It's still not worth it considering you will still suffer from decay. So what if it's not terribly expensive to premium so you can gain skill above 20? Paying to grind is kind of stupid now that I have seen true unrestricted freedom in an MMO that does not even require a sub.

Second, the game is NOT cheap, you are lying out of your fingers by typing this garbage. You never replied to my point about having to get your gear and tools imped/repaired constantly. You never touched on the prices of enchantments, a decent horse, a decent set of plate armor that actually is cheaper to replace entirely than imp back up.... 

You have to make a Strawman about ONE SENTENCE that I typed out of multiple walls of text. And you have the spine to gloat as if you've won? You suck at debate. Just saying.

1. I don't consider being called a fanboy an insult. Actually its a complement.

2. I don't mind talking about things that could be better in the game such as combat or the 3 action only queue. but to say the game costs more than it does has to be addressed.

3. I am talking about cost. something concrete and measurable. Sorry you have an issue with that.

4. MOST PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE A DEED. its actually fairly hard to maintain a deed all by yourself. Many people have help and that help are people who do not have deeds.

I just did the calculations.

Premium account plus a small deed with a guard = $14.98 a month

Premium account plus a large deed with a gaurs = $20.489325 month

You'll also need to buy a weapon, a set of armor, and some tools.

I got a set of steel plate for 6 silver, and that's cheap in this game. 6 silver costs exactly $15.00. Steel plate will last a few months if you constantly repair it all after every battle, but since its so hard to imp you're better off to just buy another set once it's QL has diminished too much from repair. 

A decent weapon with Lifelink will run you 2-3 silver if you know the right person. I've seen them sell for 4-5 silver easily though. A decent set of tools will also cost you a few silver, and you'll be constantly either having to pay to improve them until you can do it yourself, which in this game takes forever. So that's easily another $15 there. 

In total, to get properly geared and started in this game, you'll need to invest I'd say $60.00, and probably pay about $30 a month after that. And I'm not even accounting for buying supreme shoes and a 5 speed horse which most of the vets would deem necessary. 

If you want to enchant items, you'll need to premium another alt though. So for many that adds another $15.00 a month. 

So it can easily run up to $40.00 a month unless you want to run around wearing rags or really low QL armor, and never venture more than a few feet away from a guard tower or your deed. I'm not some newbie either, I ventured to every corner of my server, and killed champion versions of just about every creature. The only thing I couldn't solo was a champion troll, or an avatar. So I know from experience what it costs to get around in Wurm and not die to some monster.

When I got tired of Wurm, all I had to do to keep my deed upkeep paid for another six months was spend another $15 and put that six silver on that deed. It just wasn't worth it for me, to log in and see the deed I paid good money for trampled into packed dirt even after half my animals died, and I got rid of half the remaining ones. Suddenly I can only keep 1/4th as many animals because of some whim of a developer? I would have gladly paid another $15 to give them a chance but there was nothing but a deafening silence from the devs when many of us Wurm players posted screencaps of this what that abominable patch had done to our deeds. 

So for me, a ONE TIME FEE of $26 to play Minecraft, is just a much better deal. I have much more freedom in that game, I can truly build anything I want, and am not limited by how much money I send to Notch.

When you play Wurm, you are limited by how much money you send to Rolf. Don't send any money? Can't raise your skills over 20. Don't want to buy a deed on the PvE server? Don't cry when someone steals all your stuff and butchers cattle. Don't want to buy a decent weapon and set of armor? Don't cry when a bear eats you. 

It's a subscription skinner box game that has all the pay-2-win trappings of a free-2-play game, basically. You sit there and click your mouse to watch numbers go up by 0.001 all day, and pay money not to be interrupted or griefed while doing it.

Originally posted by SEANMCAD I just did the calculations. Premium account plus a small deed with a guard = $14.98 a month Premium account plus a large deed with a gaurs = $20.489325 month
    You'll also need to buy a weapon, a set of armor, and some tools.,,,,,

I stopped there. You do NOT need to buy weapons or tools. That is for people who are impatient. The game is about making stuff anyway.

So 1. you don't need ANY deed most people don't have a deed 2. you don't need a large deed 3. you don't need to buy every weapon and tool at the market because you have no interest in actually playing the game which is designed TO MAKE STUFF

some players just want to come in and 'win' the game or get into 'god' mode as soon as they can and then complain if it costs them to much to do so.

silly

I think I figured out the disconnect and it might be generational I am not sure.

I think its a question of how we see a game is designed to be played. To buying things on a market is a bit like 'cheat mode' so it takes away from how the game should be played. With that said I might be wrong because I come from a generation before micro-transactions.

Either way I think its a stretch to say buying things in the market is a requirement in the game.

Originally posted by SEANMCAD I just did the calculations. Premium account plus a small deed with a guard = $14.98 a month Premium account plus a large deed with a gaurs = $20.489325 month

I stopped there. You do NOT need to buy weapons or tools. That is for people who are impatient. The game is about making stuff anyway.

So 1. you don't need ANY deed most people don't have a deed 2. you don't need a large deed 3. you don't need to buy every weapon and tool at the market because you have no interest in actually playing the game which is designed TO MAKE STUFF

some players just want to come in and 'win' the game or get into 'god' mode as soon as they can and then complain if it costs them to much to do so.

silly

I think I figured out the disconnect and it might be generational I am not sure.

I think its a question of how we see a game is designed to be played. To buying things on a market is a bit like 'cheat mode' so it takes away from how the game should be played. With that said I might be wrong because I come from a generation before micro-transactions.

Either way I think its a stretch to say buying things in the market is a requirement in the game.

Have you played this game? 

The best weaponsmith on the server still buys armor. The best platesmith still buys weapons. Nearly everyone buys tools because no one skill makes them all. People are all the time buying enchantments. 

The game is not balanced for any one person to do everything well.

Sure, you can do everything yourself and be crappy at everything if you want... But to really be good at a skill in this game you have to focus almost exclusively on it. Also, I was a Fo priest, so because of the priest restrictions I could not do most things like improving items without paying for premium on another alt. 

• fuzzylogic11fuzzylogic11 Member UncommonPosts: 56

silly

The best weaponsmith on the server still buys armor. The best platesmith still buys weapons. Nearly everyone buys tools because no one skill makes them all. People are all the time buying enchantments. 

Sure, you can do everything yourself and be crappy at everything if you want... But to really be good at a skill in this game you have to focus almost exclusively on it. Also, I was a Fo priest, so because of the priest restrictions I could not do most things like improving items without paying for premium on another alt. 

Well there is your problem. You have to be insane to run a priest as your main. And you should have been able to make enough money to buy referrals as a priest.

Originally posted by fuzzylogic11

silly

Well there is your problem. You have to be insane to run a priest as your main. And you should have been able to make enough money to buy referrals as a priest.

The only valid reason there is for priest restrictions atm is to make you pay premium with an alt. Also, I said I was a Fo priest, not a Vynora priest. To make much money as a Fo priest you really need another Fo priest to link with, and no other Fo priest on the server needed a battery because they simply bought another alt for that. As for the enchantments and spells I could do alone, I mostly did them for free for anyone who needed them, while those other Fo priests who were too stingy to link with me were charging around 5-6 silver for those services. So yes, I could have probably tried harder to be a money-grubbing little bastard, and pay for my premium time with in-game money like the vets. If everyone did that though, the game would die because Rolf would have no income. I actually wanted to contribute financially to the development of this game at the time. Now I can't wait to see it die, because I was basically shafted for trying to be a good priest.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

It's a subscription skinner box game that has all the pay-2-win trappings of a free-2-play game, basically. You sit there and click your mouse to watch numbers go up by 0.001 all day, and pay money not to be interrupted or griefed while doing it.

The last time I played, a few years ago I do not look at my stats. First I joined together with a group of people I met in an other game. We met some nice person who gave us some stuff to start out nearby her town. We became well know pretty quick on the server and helped people out for a small fee to do some simple tasks, like digging someone out of a collapsed mine. One of two weeks in I decided to start my own farmstead and manage to do everything by myself without help. Level the ground, cut the trees for the fence, make the nails and whatever I needed to make them.

However I do believe you are right that investing more money will benefit you the most. This might end up being P2W on the PvP server (never really played there, so I do not know). This however does not mean that you can not enjoy this game without investing a lot of money into it (just premiums, maybe not even that). I think it just depends on what your goals are. I rejoined now and looking forward to build up a deed with other people this time. 

I do not need to hunt the strongest animal around, I do not need to create the best gear, I just want to enjoy building up this new deed without the need to be the best. However it's been years (7 years or maybe even more) since I played it for a longer period, so things will have changed. 

silly

The only valid reason there is for priest restrictions atm is to make you pay premium with an alt. Also, I said I was a Fo priest, not a Vynora priest. To make much money as a Fo priest you really need another Fo priest to link with, and no other Fo priest on the server needed a battery because they simply bought another alt for that. As for the enchantments and spells I could do alone, I mostly did them for free for anyone who needed them, while those other Fo priests who were too stingy to link with me were charging around 5-6 silver for those services. So yes, I could have probably tried harder to be a money-grubbing little bastard, and pay for my premium time with in-game money like the vets. If everyone did that though, the game would die because Rolf would have no income. I actually wanted to contribute financially to the development of this game at the time. Now I can't wait to see it die, because I was basically shafted for trying to be a good priest.

You just seem to be jaded for some reason and want to ruin the game for others. Now on the subject of paying for premium time with in-game currency your information is yet again flawed. Every premium account gets a referral which you can give to another player for your own reasons, in most cases you sell them for money. A never before premium player can not receive them to become premium for the first time. The person getting the referral needs to have been premium at least once before. The referral is good for either 20 days of premium time or 3 silver. Now you take the noble stance of supporting the developers by giving them money and shame those that use a mechanic what was put in by the developers to encourage the development of the community. There is not a fear of the game going broke from the use of referrals because there is a limit to how many there are. Every premium account only gets one forever, so for more referrals to enter the game more premium accounts will need to be made which generates income.

silly

I am confused.

You seem to equate being the best on the server with 'have to'...

does it cost more than $20 a month to have the best toon on the server? yes

but that is not a requirement in the game, not a requirement to have fun and represents 1 person per server, most people are not interesting in 'winning' the game they just want to play it. 

You seem to act like if the developers makes a purchase of something an option you see it as a requirement.

silly

You just seem to be jaded for some reason and want to ruin the game for others. Now on the subject of paying for premium time with in-game currency your information is yet again flawed. Every premium account gets a referral which you can give to another player for your own reasons, in most cases you sell them for money. A never before premium player can not receive them to become premium for the first time. The person getting the referral needs to have been premium at least once before. The referral is good for either 20 days of premium time or 3 silver. Now you take the noble stance of supporting the developers by giving them money and shame those that use a mechanic what was put in by the developers to encourage the development of the community. There is not a fear of the game going broke from the use of referrals because there is a limit to how many there are. Every premium account only gets one forever, so for more referrals to enter the game more premium accounts will need to be made which generates income.

If providing 100% factual information about the game ruins it for you, then I'm sorry, really. I just want to inform everyone about the flaws this game has before they run off and spend $100 on a game that will shaft them for deciding to take care of animals or be a priest on their main account. Also, I'm well aware of what referrals are, I've sold mine before. You can also purchase premium time from a settlement token for 10 silver, which most veteran players can easily attain by milking a trader. This money comes from newer players who pay for premium time with real money. It is put into something called the King's Coffer so that veteran players can drain it from their Traders which cost 50 silver to place.  ($89 in the shop)

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php?title=Settlement_token

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php?title=Trader

So basically when you're paying to grind your skills above 20 at a snails' pace, you're actually paying for the players who have been around for years to stick around and out-compete you in the market with their higher ql wares and multiple priest alts. That's what another poster meant when he said this game is a pyramid scheme. Everything you spend on this game will trickle up to the elites who should easily be able to stand on their own two feet with their own skills. 

When there aren't a bunch of new players around to pay premium with real money, the king's coffer gets low on funds, which in turn forces the veterans to start paying for their multiple priest alts with real money, which they hate. 

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/102373-traders-finally-nerfed/

There's a thread where a bunch of them are whining about it. Because so many players quit due to the animal AI fiasco, and then more disbanded their deeds in anticipation of moving to Xanadu, they were getting a lot less money. 

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/102373-traders-finally-nerfed/page-2

As you can see someone made a line graph tracking the Trader payout over the course of a year. Considering this amount is directly proportional to the amount of players paying for premium time and deed upkeep, that means Wurm has been in a steep decline, making half money as much as it used to. 

This in my opinion is the reason for Xanadu, to get a bunch of new players pumping money into the King's Coffer while keeping them removed from the same crowd that's been a hindrance to player retention, despite the fact they profit off of it. This is all fact, supported by the game wiki, and a line graph... I don't know what else to say except sorry for ruining the game for you all with my silly little facts.

silly

I am confused.

but that is not a requirement in the game, not a requirement to have fun and represents 1 person per server, most people are not interesting in 'winning' the game they just want to play it. 

You seem to act like if the developers makes a purchase of something an option you see it as a requirement.

If you want to venture very far from a guard tower or spirit templar, you HAVE to purchase gear. This is true even for the BEST weaponsmith and the BEST armorsmith, because it takes YEARS of doing ONLY that ONE thing to make gear that will stand up to a troll or a Hell Hound. If you want to hang around a guard tower spamming the chat with "guards!" or "help" then sure you can go without purchasing gear, I did that for a year, I know that from experience. But if you want to find gold ore, or deliver a rare oakenwood practice doll you made to the other side of the server, then you're going to HAVE to buy gear. There's just no way around that, and I cannot respect you as a human being or a Wurm player when you sit here and lie to all these newbies telling them they will be just fine prancing around in 10 ql cloth armor wielding a 10 ql sword. Even the weakest creatures in the game would tear them to ribbons. RIBBONS I say! 

silly

I am confused.

If you want to venture very far from a guard tower or spirit templar, you HAVE to purchase gear. This is true even for the BEST weaponsmith and the BEST armorsmith, because it takes YEARS of doing ONLY that ONE thing to make gear that will stand up to a troll or a Hell Hound. If you want to hang around a guard tower spamming the chat with "guards!" or "help" then sure you can go without purchasing gear, I did that for a year, I know that from experience. But if you want to find gold ore, or deliver a rare oakenwood practice doll you made to the other side of the server, then you're going to HAVE to buy gear. There's just no way around that, and I cannot respect you as a human being or a Wurm player when you sit here and lie to all these newbies telling them they will be just fine prancing around in 10 ql cloth armor wielding a 10 ql sword. Even the weakest creatures in the game would tear them to ribbons. RIBBONS I say! 

I believe there is an assumption that you are taking with everyone of your arguments in this thread and that is going at it alone. Going at it alone to much harder then if there are others to help. Starting out, joining a village is your best bet. Yes this game is hard for new players if you just wander off into the wilderness and expect to survive. Yes fighting is not in your favor when you first start out. There are practice dolls that allow you to raise your fighting safely. I have been playing for a few months now and sure there are mobs that will still destroy me if I try and take them on solo, but I have never bought equipment nor do you need to in order to progress. I dont consider this game free to play at all. It has a endless trial but at some point if you want to progress you  will need to buy a premium account. Even with the best armor its your skill that determines how well you will do.