Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The last great hope for the MMO Genre.

Comments

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

i have my fingers crossed but imo its looking more n more like a mindcraft hybrid with rpg elements thrown in the mix

also this could be another over hyped pos like eq2..eq2 coulda been soo much more / sigh

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Like what games?

What!

Bad things will happen when it seems I have the same train of thought as Nan...

Originally posted by BurntCabbage

i have my fingers crossed but imo its looking more n more like a mindcraft hybrid with rpg elements thrown in the mix

also this could be another over hyped pos like eq2..eq2 coulda been soo much more / sigh

Are you mixing up Landmark with EQN?

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

i dunno..i saw trailers where you can put holes into the ground and be in another zone / area down below..and possibly dig your way to the next zone / area below..i maybe wrong lol i dunno..at least thats what the commentary said

also im pretty sure they were saying eqn will have alot of landmark elements in the game

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272

I agree EQ2 should have been alot better then it turned out to be; though I hear tell it turned out to be a halfway decent game down the road a spell. I was surprised they didn't capitalize on alot of features people loved about original Everquest.

EQN is really revolutionary in so many ways and this makes sense as they need to really deliver to the future generation. Though EQN is sizing up to be a game for a wider age range; possibly one the family can enjoy together. Really looking forward to what SOE Live reveals this year. Maybe they will share more about this Emergent AI. Probably the most anticipated feature for me and many others; PvE really needs to step it up in ways never before experienced in an MMORPG.

• sonicwhip2sonicwhip2 Member Posts: 86
    The last great hope will be Blizzards Project Titan.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Like what games?

What!

Gloria Victis

Albion Online (first true cross-platform MMORPG I can think of that also bridges mobile devices with PCs)

The Repopulation

Life is Feudal

Trials of Ascension (?)

Embers of Caerus (?)

Pathfinder Online

? - status of project currently unknown (to me).

And I am sure I am missing a few as it is late and I am tired.

i dunno..i saw trailers where you can put holes into the ground and be in another zone / area down below..and possibly dig your way to the next zone / area below..i maybe wrong lol i dunno..at least thats what the commentary said

also im pretty sure they were saying eqn will have alot of landmark elements in the game

They are 2 entirely different concepts.

Think cars (I don't mean the games are directly related to my example though).

A Skoda and a Ferrari are both cars but are totally different concepts.

While some aspects of Landmark will cross over and there is a direct link between the 2, the games will be totally different. Landmark is essentially the toolset that will make EQN but not everything made in Landmark will be part of EQN.

Originally posted by Dihoru

Like what games?

What!

Gloria Victis

Albion Online (first true cross-platform MMORPG I can think of that also bridges mobile devices with PCs)

I plat Battlefield 4 Commander on my IPad so not new.

The Repopulation

Life is Feudal

Trials of Ascension (?)

Embers of Caerus (?)

Pathfinder Online

Admittedly I don't know every detail about these games but can you give some examples of what you call innovation in these games as I am struggling to remember anything that made me go 'This is the future' like the presentation about EQN.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Like what games?

What!

Gloria Victis

I plat Battlefield 4 Commander on my IPad so not new.

The Repopulation

Life is Feudal

Trials of Ascension (?)

Embers of Caerus (?)

Pathfinder Online

Admittedly I don't know every detail about these games but can you give some examples of what you call innovation in these games as I am struggling to remember anything that made me go 'This is the future' like the presentation about EQN.

For the battlefield commander retort you can use google on your own. The difference between an RTS with online features (linked I assume to BF4 which is a shooter with online elements) and an MMORPG which has multiple platforms all sharing the same server/IE the same persistent world is big enough to make me question your intelligence for ever bringing up that comparison, enjoy using your brain and reading up on games.

For the battlefield commander retort you can use google on your own. The difference between an RTS with online features (linked I assume to BF4 which is a shooter with online elements) and an MMORPG which has multiple platforms all sharing the same server/IE the same persistent world is big enough to make me question your intelligence for ever bringing up that comparison, enjoy using your brain and reading up on games.

Whoa!

Why so hostile and rude?

It was a simple question to provide some examples which I notice you still have not provided.

s to your rebuttal...ok how about a game called Arcane Legends which is playable across all known platforms and was released in 2012. Bit of a stretch I know but doesn't EVE qualify with Dust 512 or whatever it was called?

Anyway, point being, what innovations do these other games have as I still am not sure what innovations you are using for your argument.

And this time try replying with a smile and less rudeness and hostility.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by azzamasin

While I didn't start with the original Everquest I did know about it's existence while I was playing Asheron's Call the same year both released.  While I didn't find anything I would consider "my thing" about original EQ, it did 10 times better in numbers then my beloved AC.  It also ushered in the great MMO genre beginings, seeing as it was the first commercial success and relative household name.

I hope this same history will work with its newest MMO.  As a huge proponent of Innovation and uniqueness in the Genre It is damn refreshing to see EQN go away from the EQ/WoW model that has stymied this genre for far to damn long.

Here's hoping the EQN Revolution ushers in a new game changing, genre defining MMO.  Because sadly if it doesn't I can almost assuredly see me never looking into this genre again.  For me this is the last hope and the final nail in the coffin.  I have been without an MMO for far too long and I couldn't take another failed MMO.

Get it Right SOE!

Im not sure when this "last great hope" title was tagged to EQN since it is no where near the last nor the best MMORPG on the horizon.

As of right now Wildstar seems to be making headlines on difficulty, but that remains a relatively new release so the critics and nay sayers are waiting with baited breath.But for the future of MMORPGS I would have to say there is only one game developer that is pushing the genre of MMORPGS to an entirely bad ass direction and to be honest its probably the most advanced in the genre to date and that is Citadel of Sorcery.

If you dont know what it is then look it up, if you know what it is and were one of the ignorant nay sayers that judged their kickstarter based on the pre alpha video, well you should be ashamed. 

I find it funny that CoS isnt even in alpha yet and already game developers are trying to steal MMOmagics ideas and make them their own before COS can release. whats even funnier is this little game of one up  manship will bite all these petty publishers and developers in the back side. Citadel of Sorcery will do many things that players have always wanted in an MMORPG and then will do those things that others have done half assed and get them fixed.

But even with COS blowing all current MMORPGs to the stone age it still is not the Last great hope.... As the New technologies and the current bad boys (RSI, MMOMAGIC) up the ante, things will just get more interesting.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by sonicwhip2

While I hope Blizzard's next project turns out well (I'm a gamer first, EQ fan second), appears "Titan" is no more and the project along with the team have been shrunk, shifted, refocused, whatever.

I'm sure they have something else on the horizon, but with Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft franchises, I think it will be tough for them to either be original and do something that has the same appeal or take the old and renew it in a way that people have a reason to move on from whatever other game.

I don't know what they could do exactly. They still have the most popular (by the numbers?) MMORPG, a RTS, dungeon crawler, MOBA in the works, card game. Beyond cannibalizing one of their other franchisesgenres, not sure what they can do. Whatever it is, probably be great and a long time from now.

Like what games?

What!

Gloria Victis

The Repopulation

Life is Feudal

Trials of Ascension (?)

Embers of Caerus (?)

Pathfinder Online

All those games look decent, but aren't exactly competition for EQN or AAA titles. PFO looks interesting and I hope they get enough funding to produce what it can become. Albion Online/Shards look fun, but the isometric deal isn't for me in the mmorpg genre. Repop looks like a good SWG alternative.

But overall, in today's market money = quality = success, doesn't mean they will be "good", but they will pull in the numbers (probably lose a lot of them as well). "Better" it totally subjective and no factor can determine that. None of them are really that far of a stretch from what has come before (AO/Shards taking a few pages from UO). Some of the tech and what not is new, but I don't see any of them moving the genre forward really. I think EQN has a chance to, but we'll see how that turns out and if the hype is just hype or not.

I hope all these games do well, but I doubt most will be more then niche and several probably won't last that long. SOE/Blizzard go for the big numbers and mass appeal for the most part. These games simply can't compete on that level. Players expect a level of quality now a days. Some of these might have some depth and allow for players to run the show, but the masses seem to prefer someone else working the lights and rigging.

We all like what we do, but personally, I'm only looking at EQN for now. Beyond maybe Camelot Unchained for some PVP, nothing really seems up to the task of providing a "full" experience with quality to match.

Originally posted by Akumawraith

Im not sure when this "last great hope" title was tagged to EQN since it is no where near the last nor the best MMORPG on the horizon.

As of right now Wildstar seems to be making headlines on difficulty, but that remains a relatively new release so the critics and nay sayers are waiting with baited breath.But for the future of MMORPGS I would have to say there is only one game developer that is pushing the genre of MMORPGS to an entirely bad ass direction and to be honest its probably the most advanced in the genre to date and that is Citadel of Sorcery.

Like EQN, I'll believe it when I see it. The idea of an entire planet and long quests and what not sound great, but until I see it working and something that looks like it wasn't made 10+ years ago, I'll keep waiting. As much as people say graphics don't matter, they do or I would have been playing MUDs for even longer because I had a better experience with a bunch of words then in some of these games.

Forgelight is a nice looking engine and I don't believe COS can compete. Storybricks seems to share some of the questing/AI and what not and with a procedurally generated world with multiple tiers/layers I think SOE isn't too far behind (could be ahead for all we know) in the tech department. They have the cash to fund and push it forward. 

If you dont know what it is then look it up, if you know what it is and were one of the ignorant nay sayers that judged their kickstarter based on the pre alpha video, well you should be ashamed. 

I tend to only support KS that have physical objects. Promises of what could be aren't going to get cash out of my wallet. Not sure how people can judge anything beyond what they are seeing. Obviously we have to understand a game is in whatever stage, but I can't base my judgment on what will happen years down the line "maybe."

I find it funny that CoS isnt even in alpha yet and already game developers are trying to steal MMOmagics ideas and make them their own before COS can release. whats even funnier is this little game of one up  manship will bite all these petty publishers and developers in the back side. Citadel of Sorcery will do many things that players have always wanted in an MMORPG and then will do those things that others have done half assed and get them fixed.

COS could be huge if it had the backing, I just don't see that happening (don't really follow the game either). Looked interesting back when it was first announced and I was glad to see SOE to be thinking along the same lines. Did Storybricks/SOE "steal" ideas, I don't know or care honestly. Whichever comes out with the best product wins in my eyes. Gaming/life aren't fair. The "best" doesn't always win or even get to show up.

But even with COS blowing all current MMORPGs to the stone age it still is not the Last great hope.... As the New technologies and the current bad boys (RSI, MMOMAGIC) up the ante, things will just get more interesting.

I agree, glad to see several companies taking on what is basically the next-gen of mmo gaming. Will be a lot of overlap and shared concepts, but I think this is good and drives each company to do better. Sucks COS probably won't get any credit or profit, but that's how things work. Just like UO/EQ got left in the dust when WoW took over, it is what it is. 

• SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by Allein

While I hope Blizzard's next project turns out well (I'm a gamer first, EQ fan second), appears "Titan" is no more and the project along with the team have been shrunk, shifted, refocused, whatever.

I'm sure they have something else on the horizon, but with Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft franchises, I think it will be tough for them to either be original and do something that has the same appeal or take the old and renew it in a way that people have a reason to move on from whatever other game.

I don't know what they could do exactly. They still have the most popular (by the numbers?) MMORPG, a RTS, dungeon crawler, MOBA in the works, card game. Beyond cannibalizing one of their other franchisesgenres, not sure what they can do. Whatever it is, probably be great and a long time from now.

+1

It seems Blizzard are waiting for EQN to come out of the shadows, so that they can see what it has to offer, and extract the more successful ideas and elements.

This is especially true when you publicly announce that you are pulling the plug on your highly anticipated project (Blizzards' Titan), when you have fierce competition from your biggest competitor SOE.

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by SupaAPE

+1

It seems Blizzard are waiting for EQN to come out of the shadows, so that they can see what it has to offer, and extract the more successful ideas and elements.

This is especially true when you publicly announce that you are pulling the plug on your highly anticipated project (Blizzards' Titan), when you have fierce competition from your biggest competitor SOE.

But EQN relies heavily on voxel and procedural coding, which is entirely different to the conventional ways Blizzard use for their games. If Blizzard want to steal ideas for wow they are out of luck. Unless they want to re-write most of the coding and start finding people with the skills to actually do it (there aren't many who can and the best of those are probably working on EQN, indie projects, or for Frontier on Elite Dangerous).

Originally posted by NasherUK

+1

But EQN relies heavily on voxel and procedural coding, which is entirely different to the conventional ways Blizzard use for their games. If Blizzard want to steal ideas for wow they are out of luck. Unless they want to re-write most of the coding and start finding people with the skills to actually do it (there aren't many who can and the best of those are probably working on EQN, indie projects, or for Frontier on Elite Dangerous).

Project Titan was blizzards upcoming MMORPG. It got canceled (probably temporarily) sometime back. WoW is what it is, it will continue to be what it is for the rest of its product life cycle. The blizzard name is too huge to pass up the opportunity to bring out another MMORPG in the future. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

+1

Project Titan was blizzards upcoming MMORPG. It got canceled (probably temporarily) sometime back. WoW is what it is, it will continue to be what it is for the rest of its product life cycle. The blizzard name is too huge to pass up the opportunity to bring out another MMORPG in the future. 

The main reason Titan was scaled back was because WoW was losing to many player due to the fact new content was suffering in two areas, quality and volume. They had to do something quick to keep WoW going or by the time titan came out, WoW would have been a shell and husk of what it should have been. I dont think Blizzard is worried about EQN, no more worried then any tripple A MMO thats come out over the past 10 years. Im sure they have a plan in place to deal with EQN but Titan being scaled back has nothing to do with any game other then making sure WoW stays the hog it is. Fat and purdy.

+1

The main reason Titan was scaled back was because WoW was losing to many player due to the fact new content was suffering in two areas, quality and volume. They had to do something quick to keep WoW going or by the time titan came out, WoW would have been a shell and husk of what it should have been. I dont think Blizzard is worried about EQN, no more worried then any tripple A MMO thats come out over the past 10 years. Im sure they have a plan in place to deal with EQN but Titan being scaled back has nothing to do with any game other then making sure WoW stays the hog it is. Fat and purdy.

The original team that developed/worked on WoW has long since parted from WoW, some of the more notable designers/programmers were shifted to Titan. WoW in its current state is being run by mostly different people then it was in the past. The halting of Titan has nothing to do with WoW declining because the teams working on WoW and Titan are different groups with different goals. 

WoW is an excellent game that I will have many memories with for the rest of my life, but it's on a simple type of life support for the rest of its life. It's mostly recycled content with systems that make it easy to deliver for the current team taking care of it.

HF

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Originally posted by azzamasin
    While I didn't start with the original Everquest I did know about it's existence while I was playing Asheron's Call the same year both released.  While I didn't find anything I would consider "my thing" about original EQ, it did 10 times better in numbers then my beloved AC.  It also ushered in the great MMO genre beginings, seeing as it was the first commercial success and relative household name. I hope this same history will work with its newest MMO.  As a huge proponent of Innovation and uniqueness in the Genre It is damn refreshing to see EQN go away from the EQ/WoW model that has stymied this genre for far to damn long.  Here's hoping the EQN Revolution ushers in a new game changing, genre defining MMO.  Because sadly if it doesn't I can almost assuredly see me never looking into this genre again.  For me this is the last hope and the final nail in the coffin.  I have been without an MMO for far too long and I couldn't take another failed MMO. Get it Right SOE!

Oh from the title I thought you were talking about Skyforge! No for real, I am so excited for EQN. I didnt like Landmark but there is something very special about EQN that I just can't put my finger on.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Correct me if I'm wrong about this, and I apologize If I am, but isn't this game going to have no trinity and be open world focused?  

If so it'll go just as far as GW2 did, which isn't very far in my opinion. People will zerg the shat of everything available and play with their feet because of awful design. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Correct me if I'm wrong about this, and I apologize If I am, but isn't this game going to have no trinity and be open world focused?  

If so it'll go just as far as GW2 did, which isn't very far in my opinion. People will zerg the shat of everything available and play with their feet because of awful design. 

Correlation does not imply causation.

GW2 PVE wasn't very good because GW2 is 1. PVP game 2. Same if not worse crap AI that has been used for 15+ years.

Holy Trinity is a band aid to cover up poor AI. Which is pretty much SOE's #1 secret sauce element for EQN. If the AI is crap, yes it won't be too exciting, but if it is as good as they hype, trinity is not needed at all and wouldn't work even.

The roles of the trinity (defense, offense, support, cc, etc) will all still be there. Just not the cookie cutter approach that most mmorpgs have. Just no reliance on taunt, mobs getting "harder" by adding millions of HPs to burn through, dedicated healers watching bars all day, etc.

GW2 caters to zerging and DPS spam because the world is static with timed respawns and kill loops that are easy to follow. EQN will have a procedurally generated world (5+ layers deep). Good luck running around with 50+ people killing non-stop. This is on top of every class being a solo machine that can do everything, unlike EQN classes.

EQN will not have lvls, why zerg to begin with? No invisible finish line to race to.

Problem is there is no game to compare EQN to (at least from what they've revealed so far). No other game as the same elements present or missing in one package. A game is a sum of all the parts. 

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by goozmania
    If you think this "action" combat, p2w single player mmo is the last hope, you should be giving up right now. This game is going to bomb.

Sadly, I have every reason to believe this is correct. FPS style combat doesn't exactly facilitate conversation. Social bonds won't form.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Originally posted by Arclan

Originally posted by goozmania
    If you think this "action" combat, p2w single player mmo is the last hope, you should be giving up right now.

This game is going to bomb.

Sadly, I have every reason to believe this is correct. FPS style combat doesn't exactly facilitate conversation. Social bonds won't form.

Though gooz might be a bit more ngeative about it, hes likely not gonna be wrong. Action combat and limiting skills to only a handful can get dull faster (imo) than tab targeting. Like Arc said action combat removes the chance to chat, so unless they have some great built in voice that comes on with partys/raids..ect. its gonna end up like most of these new MMOs where its just flash on your screen and silence in the chat. When people arent constant chatting, there is barely a community, which (imo) is one of the biggest parts of making an MMO work in and out of game.

I also doubt this will keep some of the older EQ fans since its going (especially in combat terms) away from what 1 and 2 were like. Put on top of that the F2P design from the start and your going to scare off plenty (reguardless if its p2w or completely fair)

People may not love the slower combat of the older MMOs, but they by far tend to have the best communitys (my example being FFXI vs FFXIV, making everything more action like and more solo oriented takes away from needing to talk or be part of the community) I can bet this game will start some new trends like rift with its pop up events, but i can't see it being as big as everyone wants it to be.