Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you like WoW, you'll adore Wildstar

Comments

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by Xithryl

I'm a WoW gamer myself, I did end up getting Wildstar, as I tend to purchase every MMO (minus ESO). After a week with it. I am not all that impressed, the combat is cool sure, but I can't stand the questing, and the chaos as someone else had posted about.

Wildstar actually made me pick GW2 back up and I am loving my thief, the questing is good and the story so far is much better. The gear treadmill is in fact tiresome as well. Wildstar isn't a bad game by any means, I just am not enjoying as much as others seem to be.

I think a main issue was the amount of quests/tasks you get in an area (very over whelming) and then to group up with someone is a pain because everyone is working on something different even if they are in the same zone.

The same reason why I after playing the Wildstar Beta I decided no to pick up the game, I was so overwhelmed with quests and the constant chirping and numbers flying and all that childish stuff that you dont need in a game, wow it was painful.

I play games to have a sense of belonging, like I played GW2 extensively and one thing that marveled me in the game was one day walking close to this cliff and the Sun was right behind my back and suddenly my shadow started to stretch down the cliff and I had one of those wow moment that very seldom you find in games.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

I no longer play WOW but when i did i liked it... a lot.

Wildstar... its like they deliberately tried to make it a kids game from the graphics to the humor to everything really. Its a shame as it looks like they had the content to do good... but i bet a lot of people will look at the graphics and never play it.

I had a 12y old cousin who went berserk when i logged him in during beta... that turned me off even more. :)))

I`m hoping developers will learn from this and make MMO`s with graphics people over 15 can look at... after all its technically possible now so no reason to make it look like a cartoon.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by alexhpy98721

I no longer play WOW but when i did i liked it... a lot.

Wildstar... its like they deliberately tried to make it a kids game from the graphics to the humor to everything really. Its a shame as it looks like they had the content to do good... but i bet a lot of people will look at the graphics and never play it.

I had a 12y old cousin who went berserk when i logged him in during beta... that turned me off even more. :)))

I`m hoping developers will learn from this and make MMO`s with graphics people over 15 can look at... after all its technically possible now so no reason to make it look like a cartoon.

The problem is you have writers at mmorpg.com like Bill who keep preaching that the so called 'stylized' cartoon graphics last longer over time which I think is total utter nonsense. He doesn't seem to grasp that a cartoon style is already antiquated just by being a cartoon and I disagree that it holds up better over time. However, there are a ton of people who simply like cartoon graphics, both old and younger..unfortunately for an MMO Im not one of them. I would guess that the AVERAGE age of gamers are much lower that prefer cartoony goofy graphics over a more realistic approach. All MMOs have a style.

There Is Always Hope!

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Odd to hear WoW fans complaining about the graphics and childish humor of WS.  The games look almost identical!.   I guess this is all very personal but I consider them one and the same. 

Thats like saying a Fiat Punto and a Ferrari are the same. They both have 4 wheels. I don't see a difference in the two.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

mileage will vary in all mmos

but the most juvenile thing i've ever seen in a mmo is WOW's outhouse quest in Grizzly hills

http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:Doing_Your_Duty

for me,  fart jokes are as kiddie as you can get

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Rattenmann
    Odd to hear WoW fans complaining about the graphics and childish humor of WS.  The games look almost identical!.   I guess this is all very personal but I consider them one and the same. 

Thats like saying a Fiat Punto and a Ferrari are the same. They both have 4 wheels. I don't see a difference in the two.

The gap between WOW and Wildstar is much, much closer than in your analogy, more like the difference between a 2004 Toyota Camry and a 2014 Honda Accord.  Sure, there are some improvements, but at the heart, it's a very similar experience.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    I did, and I don't. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I loved wow and can't  stand wildstar and I can assure you I am not alone.  Many of my guildmates whom I played with together in wow, also do not like wildstar.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by azurrei

As a WoW player i can not stand the childish humor and grafics of Wildstar. 

This ^.  Let me make this an easy decision for everyone...

If you like the obligatory "poo" joke quests we get every expansion in WoW, you probably will like Wildstar.  

If you think the "poo" jokes are unnecessary childish humor that Blizzard somehow thinks is funny (and Blizzard actually does have a great sense of humor, minus the poo)...then Wildstar is probably not for you.  

Hey, are you saying that Wildstar is nothing but the leftover poo from the genre?

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224

Well OP if WoW was made today we will most like see same type of gfx and gfx engine all the nice thing WildStar have you have to reminder that gfx in WoW is base on is almost 10 year old now and technique is move forward not other way around.

I have also play all WoW expansion but i have say WildStar don't blow my mind the only thing that is nice with WildStar is gfx but the game play is basically same as in WoW nothing new really i have to say WildStar is WoW on steroid and that instead of be fantasy environment it is in science fiction environment with guns instead of swords.

So i'm impress not really would i play WildStar maybe if some pay the subscribe fee for me would i even care if WildStar will be successful no not really for this type mmo with cartoon gfx i'm very much done with i will most like not even buy next WoW expansion for blizzard are frack up WoW atm big time.

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

I adored WoW but only a blind man couldn't haven t seen the direction the game took quite a few years ago. Blizzard stopped listening to their core fans to cater to the masses and so it shall remain. After Burning Crusade it all went downhill.

Its the most polished turd in the industry, yet they still manage to have a completely unbalanced pvp system after 10 freaking years of evolution. Was always a huge shame to have such fluid combat and broken class balance.

Wildstar is the evolution of WoW in my opinion. The combat alone is amazing, you feel in full control of your character with lots of movement options. Fights can last a long time or they can be over in seconds, its just a matter of skill and after trying all classes, its pretty balanced.

Plus and above all else its made by Carbine. I first got interested in Wildstar when I read, more than a year ago, Gaffney talking about the direction they wanted to take with Wildstar. I read a lot about MMO's and these guys were the first dev team that made me feel like they actually knew what they were doing.

I just hope that Carbine, having introduced such a solid Themepark aspect into Wildstar, that they will focus more in making the game more sandboxy.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Kyleran

The gap between WOW and Wildstar is much, much closer than in your analogy, more like the difference between a 2004 Toyota Camry and a 2014 Honda Accord.  Sure, there are some improvements, but at the heart, it's a very similar experience.

It probably loses something in analogy, if the only person you know that drives a honda accord is your grandmother image

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by mark2123

I've been a WoW fan and player since day 1 and have all the expansions.  I'll probably buy the next one too and play it, as I like WoW and always played the expansions.  I'd be curious as to what I'm missing otherwise.

But I have to say that Wildstar has blown me away.  It's like having the best bits of all themepark MMOs and putting them into one, and then adding other stuff, making it all really polished, nice graphics and actions and lots of interesting ideas.

There's a tonne of things to do and admittedly, I didn't play the beta but I poked my nose in as I'd run out of content in WoW.  Trouble in, whilst I will probably play WoD when it comes out, my main game is now Wildstar because it's so up to date and fresh and feels like it has the longevity.  We've had a good 8 or so years of WoW, but Wildstar is WoW+ and there's no direct comparison as it seems to do everything better.

If Blizzard would be a bit more readiy to deliver content to keep things ticking along, I may not even have experienced Wildstar.  Now, I'm hooked.

This is not a hate WoW post btw.  That game has served me well and I'm sure it still will, but I really didn't see Wildstar coming and it's worth checking out if you haven't.  If WoW is and will always been your game, it'll still give you something to do for 6 months.

Heh heh, I am enjoying Wildstar but I am also enjoying WoW. I am going to have subscriptions to both games.

People keep saying WS is like WoW, but I don't really agree. There is enough different in my eyes to make it possible to play both games and not feel like I am playing the same thing. The combat is the main thing different, but so are the minigames that you come across while questing, the crafting minigames, the paths and the usefulness of crafting, etc.

Though I think WS is a fantastic game, I don't see it appealing to that many WoW players overall because of the huge difference in combat. If you prefer the more traditional MMO autoattack and tab targetting systems and less reliance on your position and movement, then WS would be a terrible option.

I will definitely be getting WoD because I am sick of MoP, wasn't that crazy about it from the get-go but really like what I have been reading about the upcoming expansion.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515

As a WoW player i can not stand the childish humor and grafics of Wildstar. And i dislike action combat, even if it is only semi action.

Am i the only one seeing a difference between wow and wildstar grafics? Sure wow is cartoony, but it looks like a cartoon an adult would watch. Wildstar looks like the 3 year old over the top childish series that just make you turn of the TV.

For ME wildstar just went too far in the grafic and "humor" department. I can not take this game serious enough to want to play it, and i really tried to like it (just like ESO, meh).

This exactly how i felt as well,even made me wanna play WoW.I've never really liked WoW but I'm playing it now lol

For the people who are playing wildstar hope it offers what you seek and it actually stands the test of time.

For me as much as i hear so many claim they are sick of fantasy games i love my fantasy and i take it very serious and i love games that take it just as serious.Wildstar to me is like a parody or satire of the mmo genre just couldn't do it to myself.

The housing is cool tho

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

BC&WotLK are probably the best time I ever had in an mmo but if I want WoW in space I go play SWTOR. 

If WS was simply just as stylized as WoW's graphics I could deal with it, but in some bizarre twist they felt like they had to double down on stylized graphics and make half the characters in the game look like they had just arrived from an episode of Loony Tunes. (I swear there is an Aurin female that looks almost exactly like Bugs Bunny.)

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by mark2123

I've been a WoW fan and player since day 1 and have all the expansions.  I'll probably buy the next one too and play it, as I like WoW and always played the expansions.  I'd be curious as to what I'm missing otherwise.

Can agree on majority of this but text below. If any game then Wow have always so many things to do that is more problem experience them all. Especially with MOP. And can barely wait for WoD.

If Blizzard would be a bit more readiy to deliver content to keep things ticking along, I may not even have experienced Wildstar.  Now, I'm hooked.

This is not a hate WoW post btw.  That game has served me well and I'm sure it still will, but I really didn't see Wildstar coming and it's worth checking out if you haven't.  If WoW is and will always been your game, it'll still give you something to do for 6 months.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    The two games definitely scratch a similar itch for me. Wildstar has been the first game in a long time that has that old school charm. It has it without reverting back to old systems as well. The questing feels progressed, but not divorced from the ideas that gave it audience. The combat's pretty good, I'd give it 4/5. My favorite combat is Guild Wars 2 ( not necessarily the skills themselves, but their feel and implementation). We've got three great games out right - Gw2, WoW and now Wildstar. WoW still excels in world design though. It feels cohesive and open, with Wildstar being a close second. It's just too young to compare yet. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Jean-luc and I feel the same. It's nothing like classic or bc. It's a bad Cata clone. More restrictive, more p2w, and more obnoxious.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359
    wow distinctive classes are like 100x better than wildstar generic classes.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Jean-luc and I feel the same. It's nothing like classic or bc. It's a bad Cata clone. More restrictive, more p2w, and more obnoxious.

I actually missed "vanilla" by a few months or so, but being compared to Cata is never good.  If Wildstar had a heart, it would be breaking at your cruel words.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

The narrator for battlegrounds, leveling up, challenges etc, is really obnoxious. The music is a mixed bag. Some decent sci fi but also a lot of acme assembly line music. Those are literally my only two gripes about this game so far.

Game is exceptionally well made.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Eir_S

I actually missed "vanilla" by a few months or so, but being compared to Cata is never good.  If Wildstar had a heart, it would be breaking at your cruel words.

Being like vanilla or BC isn't really a good thing in my eyes.  Giving you that first time feel that they may have given on the other hand is a good thing.

Also while I do think cata is one of the worst expansions for a game ever made, BoT, TFW and Firelands were very solid raids.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by WalterWhite
    I like WoW and enjoy playing it but I hated Wildstar. I guess not all WoW players will be the same.

Yeah same here, not liking it as much as WoW.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Giving the guest pass a shot having fun sofar, but currently subbed to FFXIV if I enjoy it I might pick it up sometime down the road. Really only want to dedicate to one MMO for budgets sake or else I'd have 3 subs going. I know for sure that with my night schedule I can do everything I want to do in FFXIV, but not sure if I'd be able to raid in wildstar.
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Er what?!

Originally posted by Cetra
    wow distinctive classes are like 100x better than wildstar generic classes.

I like the old versions of the classes in WoW more than WS's so far. I think that some of WS's classes are quite cool but they don't have the same hook that WoW's did. Today's WoW, I feel the classes are more same-y and generic than in the past. For example, look at the vanilla Hunter and compare it to today's version. Today's version is very much like any other game's ranged pet class.

I have not tried out many of the classes in WS and I don't know how they play out. So far I have tried out the Doc, Esper and Engineer. The Esper is an interesting class because it is a bit of a GW2 Mesmer, a healer and a typical magic user all in one and out of the three I have tried, I would say that the Esper is the least generic or similar to other classes in other games. The Engineer has some elements to it of the Engineer in GW2 but so far only very superficially.

Originally posted by Foomerang

The narrator for battlegrounds, leveling up, challenges etc, is really obnoxious. The music is a mixed bag. Some decent sci fi but also a lot of acme assembly line music. Those are literally my only two gripes about this game so far.

Game is exceptionally well made.

That is interesting: I have the French client and I don't find the narrator that offensive, though sometimes he does insult me when I play badly (like when my character gets killed). Perhaps it is a difference in language and voice? I don't find WS that hilarious either, just mildly amusing whereas some people here have said that some of the things in it are really funny. I have been wondering if it has been mistranslated somehow.

I have issues with the huge amount of popups that show up while I play, sometimes in very inconvenient spots or times. I am also not that fond of the combat-based challenges. Otherwise I love the game.

Like with WoW, I have very little to complain about.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.