Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arena Commander streams?

Anyone here going to be streaming Arena Commander? Could be fun to follow. I assume streaming it is allowed.

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

CIG forgot to include the maps in the 10gig download.

So everyone was stuck on loading screen waiting to see something that wasn't there.

They're going to have to patch it, so expect it much later.

..Cake..

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Oops.

Kind of a big thing to miss....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Originally posted by sgel
    CIG forgot to include the maps in the 10gig download.

So everyone was stuck on loading screen waiting to see something that wasn't there.

They're going to have to patch it, so expect it much later.

Ooops! Well, the game isn't going to be released for a long time anyway, so I suppose waiting a short while to see the DFM in action isn't a big deal. Well, maybe to some of the more rabid fans it will be a big deal, but you know...

EDIT: Did they already fix it? Some seem to be playing right now: http://www.twitch.tv/bteamgaming

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    I streamed some, going to sleep now though. You can see a small video here http://www.twitch.tv/calistin/b/535291037

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

I got another video done using voice commands

http://www.twitch.tv/calistin/b/535691203

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Okay, the flight model looks like it has a LONG, LONG, LONG way to go, but I suppose the point of Arena Commander is to get to a place where the basics feel right. Based on watching people play the game, the controls seem quite jerky, whereas mouse aiming is very arcady like Freelancer/Warthunder. This I expect to change as it seems opposite to what they've stated in the past.

The game sure looks pretty. Still early days, so will be fun checking in again when the game's more evolved.

Hopefully the gameplay will more closley resemble this by then.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by Axxar

Hopefully the gameplay will more closley resemble this by then.

Not likely; that trailer is a riot.  Anybody unfamiliar with zero-g Newtonian fighters is in for a rude awakening if they expect an experience anything like that.

1) All the Hornet has to do in the first half of the trailer is turn around and face the assailant.

and my favorite part:

2) The ridiculous aerobraking maneuver the Hornet pulls to get behind the 300i... in space.  Didn't I see that in "Firefox" somewhere, or was it "Top Gun"?

Somebody really skimped on their research when making this trailer.  It only reinforces the bad impression that the Derp is strong with this one (Star Citizen) image

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Well they aren't trying to make a 100% realistic game, hence flight assist, dog-fighting, speed limits, cool ship designs and slow lasers, like in Star Wars. There's a decoupled mode where you can take some advantage of the physics engine, but cool factor and gameplay trumps realism in places, and personally I prefer that route. At least in this type of game.

But yeah that fancy manoever could probably have been less over the top.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

I'm all for gameplay over realism, but even with Flight Assist (which is still realistic as long as it follows the same physics) it would be a far better strategy for the Hornet to turn its firing arc toward the Aurora.  Instead, we see a half-minute dramatic sequence where the Hornet remains in nearly the worst possible tactical disposition (with an easy out)...

The trailer is beautifully cinematic and utterly inaccurate, purely from a Newtonian gameplay perspective.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• I guess you're right, but at least they are moving. :)

• pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I can launch the game, walk around, and enter my ships.  I can no longer use F1 to switch to third-person view nor do I have any indication of how to launch a ship once I am sitting in the cockpit.  I am guessing I need to delete and download again but of course would rather not if someone has any idea what is wrong.
  • You have to pick up your helmet on a pillar in the hangar before you can enter the combat scenarios from your cockpit.