Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Graphics Are What Is Keeping Me From Playing This! Would Like 2 See Some Comparison With WOW

13»

Comments

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by ImperatorBellus

I don't know why some people are holding this game in such a high regard, like it is the second coming of great new mmo's! WildStar is like the rest, it is nothing but a WoW clone with better gameplay, I don't know if it is exactly better though. It just has more of an aiming system for ranged abilities but the melee is basically the same as any other generic Fantasy MMORPG.

I did enjoy WoW but I only logged about 520 hours on world of warcraft total, I am thinking of going back to it though, I thought this game would be better but I am really not liking the graphics, that is the main reason. I did try ESO but it is nothing but an anti social MMO with really repetitive PVP that gets boring quickly. 

Anyway, graphics are important to me in a MMO, they don't have to be really really good but the graphics style is what is more important to me than quality, and this Pixar animation look alike game is really bad looking. 

The environments in world of warcraft look much better, this game lacks detail and the environment looks really plain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmj9JoY3rZQ Wild Star Max Graphics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLYpOcmpDQU World of Warcraft tweaked max graphics

I would like to see some screenshot comparisons compared with wow using tweaked graphics or the graphics macro. Judging from these 2 videos, the more detailed environment wow has makes it feel a lot more immersive than wild star. WildStar Online is as saturday morning cartoon like as you can get and I hate that, I don't mind a mmo that merges realism and a cartoon style, WoW does this, Everquest next is doing it but wild star is the most childish MMO I have ever seen and for this reason, I will NEVER PLAY IT.

Better mmo's with better graphics like Everquest next will be out in 1-2 years anyway.

Wildstar has my favorite graphic style! The game is pure ART! Feels like i'm playing in an alive Disney world... and no i'm not a kid, i'm 26 :)

• yammy_thoyammy_tho Member UncommonPosts: 14

There's nothing wrong with the graphics, imo. They're not badly done, they're just stylized. WoW has redone their graphics a lot from launch and are continuing to do so with their player model updates next expansion. 

Not to say that stylized or cartoony graphics are for everyone, but I enjoy them MUCH more than realistic ones. If I wanted to see realistic stuff, I'd walk outside. I like prefer them because realistic settings are much to serious for me the majority of the time and I feel more relaxed and comfortable with a bright colorful setting. I've had people call me a casual in that regard, which is funny because casual playing isn't even insulting. 

MMOs are my way of disconnecting with stress. It's just the way I am.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by lekitten

There's nothing wrong with the graphics, imo. They're not badly done, they're just stylized. WoW has redone their graphics a lot from launch and are continuing to do so with their player model updates next expansion. 

Not to say that stylized or cartoony graphics are for everyone, but I enjoy them MUCH more than realistic ones. If I wanted to see realistic stuff, I'd walk outside. I like prefer them because realistic settings are much to serious for me the majority of the time and I feel more relaxed and comfortable with a bright colorful setting. I've had people call me a casual in that regard, which is funny because casual playing isn't even insulting. 

totally agree!!!

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d
    Originally posted by ImperatorBellus

Better mmo's with better graphics like Everquest next will be out in 1-2 years anyway.

Wildstar has my favorite graphic style! The game is pure ART! Feels like i'm playing in an alive Disney world... and no i'm not a kid, i'm 26 :)

On internet, physical age doesn't mean much as oposed to mental age.

Besides nowadays, even from irl perspective there are tons of people at 26 and above who live and act like teenagers.

Not saying you are just pointing out your statement about age is rather irrelevant.

And the fact that Disney world targeted audience are kids (and their parrents).

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d
    Originally posted by lekitten

totally agree!!!

+1

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I have faced being quite long in the tooth and a female much confusion from my female friends who cannot see what I enjoy in playing games or reading manga ,comics and watching anime. I am awfully surprised that on a gaming forum people actually saying things like a "more adult game" or "mature art style" are actually uttered with disdain. Have you forgotten we are talking about games here or in an attempt to sound all supercilious you forgot that. You are supposed to embrace these games. This is what I would have expected or at least not criticized its art style in a manner reminiscent of my mother in law.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Personally it's one reason I was turned off by the game, although the main reason is the raid focus. About the art style though, I just really can't get into RPG's with such colorful cartoonish designs. The extent I can stomach is SWTOR, which while stylized it's not exactly as pixar looking as Wildstar and/or WOW are. It's this that really ruins any chance I"d feel a connection to the world or my character within it. I love watching cartoons so don't get me wrong I'm not one of those "it's for kids" types of folks, I feel only kids would feel that way, but what do I know at 35? I just say that because it's only kids I've seen who feel a need to act "grown up".  Typically late teens to early 20 somethings.

For me the problem isn't it being childish, it's the believability of it, as well as the character connection. IMO cartoony is a better fit for platformers or arcade style games. RPG's require a more realistic approach if I'm going to feel a real connection to the world or character I'm portraying in it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• JindaeJindae Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by korent1991

wildstar has much higher resolution textures and effecfs, as it should since wow is damn old... Tho it doesn't mean the styles of the games are going to be the same, wow isn't that cartoonish when you compare it to wildstar and to be honest wildstar reminds me more on swtor because of the way armor is made and how some textures look. Might be the same engine?

The point is, just because you can compare the two, doesn't mean you're comparing it right :D

Carbine made their own engine for Wildstar, cause they did not find any suitable engine for their needs

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Coming from a graphics standpoint, Wildstar's seem slightly more high-res, and animations are better. Environment wise though, both are just cartoon. There is no better or worse really
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
This discussion has been closed.