Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rating manipulation?

sonicwhip2sonicwhip2 Member Posts: 86

Ok I think the owners of this site should seriously consider revamping the voting system here.

How did this game jump to 1st place and Wildstar all of a sudden is down to number 5 when it was number 1?

There are some really rabid GW2 fanboys causing some serious manipulation here and I don't see the site mods doing anything to stop this.

New restrictions should be in place to stop new accounts from manipulating the votes such as requiring a certain number of posts not considered to be spam with the minimum requirement being 100 for hype votes and 200 for released votes. Right now I'm sure there are a batch of new accounts being created giving gw2 all 10 out of 10 votes.

Comments

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Wildstar just recently came out...it's probably people that just bought it and are disappointed giving it a 1 or whatever...always happens when a game comes out.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Or maybe Guild Wars 2 is a fantastic game. You do realize that it just launched in China and I'm sure some of those people have lingered over to this website.

It is an awesome game and I don't see why anyone is suprised that it dominates the ratings. Not that I play it much anymore, but I still jump on from time to time and PvP.

• patience13patience13 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    actually i think since wildstar doesn't have many voters yet, anyone that rates it low will cause it's score to drop more dramatically then gw2 or ffxiv, thus returning those two back to the top. Doubt there is any conspiracy.
  • andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Gem Stores 2 is amazing for people that prefer wallet over time and actual game experience. 
  • sonicwhip2sonicwhip2 Member Posts: 86
    Wether this is true or not they should really adopt some new aggressive voting restriction such as only accounts with at least 200 non spam posts are allowed to vote just to be safe. And after the new policy is adopted reset all ratings and have them start over from 0.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Because it matters why? Anyways, shortly after a games launch there is always ratings fluctuations, something to do with how the algorithms work. Will settle down in a week or so.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392

WTF does it matter?

On a side note I always find it amusing when people get butt hurt because their precious game isn't getting the recognition they think it deserves.

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Because it matters why? Anyways, shortly after a games launch there is always ratings fluctuations, something to do with how the algorithms work. Will settle down in a week or so.

Well I find it pretty suspicious how it jumped from number 3 to 1 so suddenly.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by sonicwhip2
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Well I find it pretty suspicious how it jumped from number 3 to 1 so suddenly.

GW2 has mainly been at the top spot since its launch, occasionally drops to 2nd, 3rd. I really wouldn't class that as suspicious.

Originally posted by Nyghthowler

WTF does it matter?

On a side note I always find it amusing when people get butt hurt because their precious game isn't getting the recognition they think it deserves.

I'm not a fan of Wildstar I am just saying how unfair it is to have the rating drop so dramatically because people are creating new accounts just to vote.

They need to require at least 200 posts before being able to vote.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Ok I think the owners of this site should seriously consider revamping the voting system here.

How did this game jump to 1st place and Wildstar all of a sudden is down to number 5 when it was number 1?

There are some really rabid GW2 fanboys causing some serious manipulation here and I don't see the site mods doing anything to stop this.

New restrictions should be in place to stop new accounts from manipulating the votes such as requiring a certain number of posts not considered to be spam with the minimum requirement being 100 for hype votes and 200 for released votes. Right now I'm sure there are a batch of new accounts being created giving gw2 all 10 out of 10 votes.

Does your happiness really depend on the rating of a game on a random gameforum?

And yes, GW2 is just a good game.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Muke

Does your happiness really depend on the rating of a game on a random gameforum?

Not mine but obviously the happiness of the people who just created hundreds of new accounts to upvote gw2.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Not mine but obviously the happiness of the people who just created hundreds of new accounts to upvote gw2.

Not that the site will share it with you, but likely their algorithms take into account things such as new accounts that post 10's or 1's and reduce their impact on the overall rating.

Not their first time to the rodeo you know. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Conspiracy theories aren't a good idea.

Just look at the ratings of the games at the top.  They haven't moved much (Certainly not hundreds of votes worth)

Wildstar just dropped a lot, because it switched from the hype rating (Which is before-launch), to the other sort of score (Which happens after launch).  Wildstar is like.... 10th place.

Do you really think people created hundreds of accounts just to vote up the =9= games beating Wildstar?  That's not a GW2 fanboy, that woul dbe a 'Anything but Wildstar' fanboy. :/

Wildstar will probably go up higher after a while of being out, but games generally drop upon release.

• KarazulKarazul Member CommonPosts: 39

The 3 games that are on top for the last months (GW2, TSW and FF IV) are very good ones. Even If there were no problems with rating manipulation, algorithms, or whatever, Wildstar is not on that level, sorry. I played it on beta before launch and Its only a better version of WoW which is great! But not for 1st, 2nd or 3rd place...  Maybe 4th?

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Don't believe much you read here.  Some people have innate hatred toward certain games and will downvote all the time.
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Isn't the rating system on this site based on hits?  If that's the case then it would be why certain games 'interest' can spike from time to time.  You see it happen all the time when expansions or big news hits for games.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264

The stupidest post ever and probably needs to be shut down. What the very challenged OP does not get is that it went from the Hyper Meter to the Rating meter. 

Meaning it went from not released to released and it just reset.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It's funny how outraged people get over these silly things

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Guild Wars 2 is ranked #1, that's an outrage. It should clearly be ranked 0.5.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

What hundreds of votes?

GW2 had 1000+ votes for a while and it currently under 1200.

WildStar has 58 votes.

But if one wants a better rating system only allow people to up vote games they like instead of going for a meaningless rating that is basically a ration of 10s votes and 1s votes.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Guild Wars 2 is always on top 5 since launch, which means the game is popular. Is there a problem?
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Much as I love Wildstar and am playing it the fact is many are turned off by the art style. Many others are too ashamed to admit they play it. I hope it does moderately well but it is not as popular as GW 2 . No rating manipulation GW 2 is a popular game anyone can easily pick up in fact that is its charm. Pick up and put down any time and come back to it any time. You need to cool off on the accusations it sounds a bit out there.

I am hoping because this game has a low profile it will not attract too many fans of other games who might feel threatened by it. Let it remain its unassuming self and make a moderate profit for Carbine and NC Soft. I really hate seeing topics where once a fan starts saying they like Wildstar people from other games feel it is their duty to disparage and point out how much they hate its art style or themepark WoW feel. I prefer people playing and finding out for themselves how good or bad this game is and am not interested in accolades here on these forums but that they translate into real profit for the game developers.

GW 2 deserves its rating.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

OP, you're beating dead horse. Rating doesn't mean anything those days.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

No one is going to moderate wether each post by every member is spam or not to get to that 100 or 200 mark.  That is just simply too much effort for something that, as others have pointed out, likely isn't actually being abused.  Instead what that idea would do is ensure that we see about 200 spam posts from new accounts each day at least.

I get the idea behind it but it does not seem to be viable.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!