It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
I am rather curious of how this will turn out.
This thread is solely about niche market gaming. What I mean is that mmorpgs pre-wow were made for niche market gamers. The MMO's didn't cater to everyone but a niche market of gamers who enjoyed a particular style of gameplay.
I am specifically looking to get a sample from the mmorpg.com forum community to see if this style of a particular type of gameplay is what people are still wanting to have?
So this is your chance to vote and let your voice be heard. Do you want this type of game?
I tried to generalize as much as I can for this niche market of gamers.
Features & Game Design Elements - If the majority of these interest you in a game still vote yes. If not then vote no.
- Community driven game: Group content is king. Solo play is available but let's give a 70% group content to 30% solo content ratio. This also means server reputation for your character as well. Are you considered a good player? Do you ninja loot? What type of player do you project your self to the community?
- Challenge Content (Risk vs Reward): The more challenging the content you face the more reward you'll get from it. This means no hand holding. Prove your worth as a player within a group.
- Top Heavy PVE: With the primary focus on PVE content which would compliment a community driven game. (The community of which old EQ use to have).
- Adaptable In-depth Combat Mechanics (complete gear dependency omitted): Use combat mechanics were you can adapt to an intelligent AI in the middle of a fight to change your strategy. There are multiple ways to win a fight based on how you or the AI adapts to strategy.
- Open Immersive World: Little to no instances as possible. You log into a living breathing game world where your character is apart of it. Your character is not the sole hero but apart of a large community where a player could earn to be a hero.
- Explore in a Dangerous World: This ties into the above with the Open Immersive World. A world in which you can explore and find hidden items, quests, locations and landmarks. Each area is different with it's own set of challenges. The world is dangerous.
- Adventure: Instead of the monotonous tasks we have in most mmos, go on an actual adventure with a group. This could mean epic travel. This could mean the adventure/quest could take several gaming sessions to finish. Sometimes it could take a few hours. Triggered events could happen at different key points in your adventure to lead you astray from the path you've taken with your group.
- Player influence: This means players get to decide what to burn into the history of the game. Essentially create future lore of the game based on the communities influence on what they do or don't do in the game world.
- In-depth Crafting System & Item Design: Have a player driven economy within means. Allow players to have a robust crafting system (similar to vanguard or SWG). Allow players to choose from different templates to design their own gear as well as to decide what and how many stats you can have in each item piece.
- End Game Content (balanced with lower levels): Strategic challenge end game content which could include raiding. However, what you can experience with end game content you can also experience while leveling up as well.
- Minimize Instant Gratification: You earn what you get. This is not tee ball where everyone gets a trophy. Sometimes it may take time to earn something you want as a player or a group based off how challenge it may be. Time sinks could play a factor but not necessarily the reason for challenge.
- Death Penalty: A medium to harsh death penalty that encourages players that wiping is not a good thing. There are actually consequences when you wipe a group.
Please vote and comment. I found it rather interesting that the "All I want is EQ with improved graphics" thread got great feedback and seemed like a lot of people want that style of game back in the mmorpg market. So now I am making a poll to see if that's true just based of these forums alone. I am pretty sure I am missing some key features, if so list your key features that you'd like to see in a niche market gaming that is complimentary to the above list.