Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newbie Question

glimmerstarglimmerstar Member Posts: 5

Hi! I've played other MMORPGs and have gotten bored with the killing/questing. I LOVED SWG when it first came out because I could make clothes, dance, etc.

I've tried some other games, WoW, EQ2, even some others, but have never found that same fun I had in star wars.

A friend suggested second life, and I've downloaded it. I have to admit to being very confused even tho i have read the tutorials and tried just monkeying around in the world.

I don't learn games very easy, but 2ND Life seems especially hard for me to 'get'. Is this just me?

I read something about workshops in games that help new people?

I also read that there are actual games within 2nd life like a medivel world and a zombie world and so on. Are those actually 'games'? Do I craft and fight in them? 

2nd life SOUNDS really neat, and maybe what I am looking for. BUT...

Is the game still growing or at least maintaining it's population? Would I be joining a dying community?

Also, do they have any plans to upgrade the graphics?

A lot of questions I know, and even if you just feel like answering one, two or none ( :) ) I thank you for your time!

Comments

• dangen77dangen77 Member Posts: 2

judging by your question...second life sounds like it's right up your alley. It's got kinda a high learning curve...but the creative possibilities make the time spent worthwhile.  As for being a dying environment, i think that big business as given up on Second Life, but the users will keep it alive forever.

• fuzonacidfuzonacid Member Posts: 4

Graphics have been upgraded with shadows and projected light based on your hardware. You need at minimum a duocore system with a 9800 GT to experiemnce higher graphics with little or no lag.. A quadcore if you are interedted in shadow mode. Hardware is a huge difference in what you see and smooth play. Check out Second Life Machinima on youTube http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzonacid to see the things possible.

www.youtube.com/fuzonacid

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Originally posted by glimmerstar

Hi! I've played other MMORPGs and have gotten bored with the killing/questing. I LOVED SWG when it first came out because I could make clothes, dance, etc.

I've tried some other games, WoW, EQ2, even some others, but have never found that same fun I had in star wars.

A friend suggested second life, and I've downloaded it. I have to admit to being very confused even tho i have read the tutorials and tried just monkeying around in the world.

I don't learn games very easy, but 2ND Life seems especially hard for me to 'get'. Is this just me?

I read something about workshops in games that help new people?

I also read that there are actual games within 2nd life like a medivel world and a zombie world and so on. Are those actually 'games'? Do I craft and fight in them? 

2nd life SOUNDS really neat, and maybe what I am looking for. BUT...

Is the game still growing or at least maintaining it's population? Would I be joining a dying community?

Also, do they have any plans to upgrade the graphics?

A lot of questions I know, and even if you just feel like answering one, two or none ( :) ) I thank you for your time!

Few pointers on SL

1. you create anything you want. literally. As long as you have the time and get the know-how to do it, anwyays.

2. Yes there are game systems in SL, few i know Are DCS2 and CCS (dont remember what the acronyms are for)

These are Mostly for ROLEPLAYING, and i mean hardcore roleplaying. I used to do it. alot. CCS was my thing, it is used as a meter system to help people roleplay. Normal roleplay descisions used to come from dicerolls to see who won, now its more skill and level based with the meter(CCS). so roleplaying with someone lvl 50 vs your 25 will never end well. haha.

3. SL has a huge population. you will never play with them all. In the millions, easy, i'd say.

4. Gr5aphics depend on your system mostly. top end pc yields really, really, really great graphics.

Conclusion- Second Life is a Simulated World. It is whatever you want it to be. inside that simulated world there are 'roleplay' games. if your not looking to roleplay, i wouldnt bother with it. If you are interested, the Sim (map) that i used to play on was in Lost Angels (type that into your map). its with vamp's, were's, supernaturals, cyborgs, etc.

((This game will take money to fit into IMO, i have spent an ungodly amount of money on it. 1k+ US dollars. the going rate for lindens (in game currency) is aout 2.50 us dollars for about 500 lindens ))

EDIT: Feel free to message me here with any more questions you have. played SL for 4+ years.

EDIT2: OP's last login here was jan 22, so post was kinda pointless, but, anyone else, feel free to ask questions if you feel the need.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• fuzonacidfuzonacid Member Posts: 4

I don't roleplay per se and have way too much to do there. However Roleplayers are loads of fun to watch do their thing and you are right they are definitely serious and don't lose their chracter at any point. Might actually be a good place for actors to practice. In  fact there is now an Actors Studio in SL although that is for Machinima and plays. A few plays are being performed as well. There are a ton of events musical and Art Openings etc. And of course building whatever you can. Try Builder's Brewery as they give free classes on all kinds of things.

www.youtube.com/fuzonacid

• spyvspyaeonspyvspyaeon Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by fuzonacid

I don't roleplay per se and have way too much to do there. However Roleplayers are loads of fun to watch do their thing and you are right they are definitely serious and don't lose their chracter at any point. Might actually be a good place for actors to practice. In  fact there is now an Actors Studio in SL although that is for Machinima and plays. A few plays are being performed as well. There are a ton of events musical and Art Openings etc. And of course building whatever you can. Try Builder's Brewery as they give free classes on all kinds of things.

thanks to SL roleplay we have plenty of amazing avatars available. http://www.flickr.com/photos/groll/sets/72157604819186773/

The question on this post it is the big question of second life, finally become more userfriendly. The problem on second life, is that, when they created the platform, it was created to people with good acknowledgement on 3D Grid, now they are rebuilding the concept but still not so easy to understand. Most of the wrong though is it to think that SL it is only a game, it is everything you want to be to you. RP SIMs there are a lot and good ones, but don't expect to see a RP like eveonline or even WOW. it's limited to SIM physics (means, number of avatars on the SIM, lag factor, connection, graphic board, processor etc etc etc), but it is unlimmited to your imagination (that is the big winning of SL) :)

RP on SL it's quiet easy, just buy/wear the HUD & weapons, DCS (dynamic combat system) and read the tutorial/rules, Basicaly HUD works just clicking on IT :)

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I'd be nobly enough to say that SL is pretty much enything BUT a game... Sure you can make games in it but it is not a game it is a creative platform.

So if you expect a game in the normal sense of the word, SL is not for you. But if you like a digital playground were you can do and find anything you like (and trust me.. a lot you never wanted to find) But it is not WoW or Vanguard or even SWG.

This have been a good conversation

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

As it has been said, SL is more than a game. Many take on full jobs with it and make very good money. Myself , I create clothing and furniture for the game and make a nice amount.. was enough for me to buy two computers 3 years ago and two more this year. Paid for my desks, new monitors.. you get the idea. (Didnt take that long to save for it all, but my first purchase with my sales was 3 years ago.) So if you have an imagination and the desire to learn, you can be quite happy in SL.

Oh yeah, I also do photowork in SL for a small "income".  Wanted to see one, Oh geezz... ya put me on the spot but OK.. FINNNEEE.. ( Hahha, Im a pimp for my work)..

• outlaw_countryoutlaw_country Member Posts: 5
    is there a place for us newbie to buy to some stuffs?
  • xSetsunaxxSetsunax Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by outlaw_country
    is there a place for us newbie to buy to some stuffs?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/

• theCharmedOnetheCharmedOne Member Posts: 3
    yes you can do a lot of stuff in Second Life, building, meeting new friends, playing, chatting, anything. You can even go shopping and clubbing. Or the best part, doing business there. With regards with the "dying"  community, I am afraid not, that issue has been like what, 3 years or 4 years ago issue but still secondlife is here. At first it will really looks confusing but later on you will surely enjoy it. So give it a try!