Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What a mess of a game.

HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
I'm a big Trek fan. And i bought the collectors edition of this game. But things just kept getting bad with just about every update and the game was less about Trek and more about killing things. So i left the game awhile ago. I go back to check out the featured episodes when they come out. And now this game is so unbalanced because of the god like gear in the game. No tweeks have been done in the content to match up with this gear. People just grind for months to get into this gear doing the same raid over and over.  So you have a player base all decked out in this gear with zero challenge for them. The only challenge in this game is with pvp because you'll be fighting another player with this gear. You have stf''s(raids) and a rep.system that you grind for more gear. You take on waves of mobs like its nothing even if you play in elite mode. The dps that players are putting out is insane. I just don't get how you can keep playing a game like this without getting bored to death.

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    I agree 100 percent especially with your last sentence. I've never been able to complete the entire Federation mission line because I usually quit do to boredom after captain. It's too bad because Star Trek is one of my favorite IPs of all time. Better luck next time if there is one. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Most developers are really good at copying stuff and not so good at doing creative and original things.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    its more 'starfleet battles' than star trek tbh, i don't think its a game you can really play day after day, its one of those types of games you can play every now and then, its not hugely bad, its just not all that good. image
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Phry
    its more 'starfleet battles' than star trek tbh, i don't think its a game you can really play day after day, its one of those types of games you can play every now and then, its not hugely bad, its just not all that good. image

I haven't played since near launch, but I thought the ground missions were kind of "meh".  Maybe if it was more like an RTS since you have multiple team members I might have liked them more.  I did like the ship battles though.  Especially once I figured out how to bring my ship around and hit my target with two phasers at the same time.

I think what I was hoping for was more Star Trek the original series, or Star Trek the newest movies, not Star Trek the Next Generation.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Astro6Astro6 Member UncommonPosts: 247

I agree these new changes are just boring as hell , also the balance of the game has been thrown out the window after changes respecing i had no problems before with elite missions now it's one shot BOOM your dead with new content.

I just stopped playing it's just not worth my time spending time grinding same content till i get back to where i was before they really need to balance this stuff.

• SilverdaggerSilverdagger Member UncommonPosts: 119

"I think what I was hoping for was more Star Trek the original series, or Star Trek the newest movies, not Star Trek the Next Generation."

I think you have it backwards, STO is set in the JJ Abrham's ST universe, with planet Vulcan destroyed and so forth. The combat oriented content is more geared towards OST than STNG. Except instead of making it a decent fleshing out of the "Mirror, Mirror" alternate OST, STO is a mish-mash of JJ's wildest "fragmented" dreams.  It gets quite muddled since STO has tried to include elements from every TV series into the game.  So like JJ's last ST film, STO is amazing yet utterly awful at the same time.  Thankfully it isn't as bad as the co-op ST pc game that came out just before Star Trek Into Darkness.

I agree with all the previous posts.  I played it from beta, through FtP and gave up on it when it became nothing more then a grind-fest.  It was expected to go that route once it got bought by the owners of Secret World, but as a huge fan of the Star Trek shows, I was always hopeful that STO would get decent funding and become something more than a generic hack-n-slash. 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Silverdagger

STO is set in the JJ Abrham's ST universe, with planet Vulcan destroyed and so forth.

It was expected to go that route once it got bought by the owners of Secret World

The Romulan homeworld was destroyed, Vulcan is fine, intact and kicking :)

Bought by the owners of Perfect World, TSW is a whole different story.

• SilverdaggerSilverdagger Member UncommonPosts: 119

Thanks for catching my errors.  :)

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I got tired of the grind so I uninstalled and bye bye for another year to see what happens.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Hariken
    I'm a big Trek fan. And i bought the collectors edition of this game. But things just kept getting bad with just about every update and the game was less about Trek and more about killing things. So i left the game awhile ago. I go back to check out the featured episodes when they come out. And now this game is so unbalanced because of the god like gear in the game. No tweeks have been done in the content to match up with this gear. People just grind for months to get into this gear doing the same raid over and over.  So you have a player base all decked out in this gear with zero challenge for them. The only challenge in this game is with pvp because you'll be fighting another player with this gear. You have stf''s(raids) and a rep.system that you grind for more gear. You take on waves of mobs like its nothing even if you play in elite mode. The dps that players are putting out is insane. I just don't get how you can keep playing a game like this without getting bored to death.

I've said all along, IP's like star trek and star wars are an injustice to make into theme park instance mmos...there's so much you can do with them.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

The main feature STO lacks is.... da da!!! EXPLORATION, dude this is sad a STO game lacking exploration is pitiful.  Federation and Kling ons, that is it. No other race will come in the future nothing what the heck, SWTOR has more variety of races than STO

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    The main feature STO lacks is.... da da!!! EXPLORATION, dude this is sad a STO game lacking exploration is pitiful.  Federation and Kling ons, that is it. No other race will come in the future nothing what the heck, SWTOR has more variety of races than STO

The lack of exploration is very disappointing. I would love to see some of the exploration features of EVE or Uncharted Waters ONline in STO. That said, I still enjoy playing in short bursts every once in a while, and have enjoyed the LEgacy of Romulus content quite a bit.

As far as your complaint about a lack of races go, I'm not sure what to tell you. I thought there were plenty. There's:

Human

Betazoid

Trill/Joined Trill

Vulcan

Andorian

Bajoran

Benzite

Bolian

Caitian

Ferengi

Pakled

Rigelian

Saurian

Tellarite

Romulan

Reman

Klingon

Gorn

Lethean

Nausicaan

Orion

And then you can create your own custom alien race.

I meant playable races with story line, even the Romulans have to serve one of the two masters Feds or Kling ons.

I meant playable races with story line, even the Romulans have to serve one of the two masters Feds or Kling ons.

Ah. Yes I see what you mean now. Yeah more diversity in story between the races would have been nice, rather than just Fed story, Rom story, and KDF story.
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

Ah. Yes I see what you mean now. Yeah more diversity in story between the races would have been nice, rather than just Fed story, Rom story, and KDF story.

I started playing SWTOR and there is a variety of races and combinations, why STO can't come up with something like that with all the alien races out there (you mentioned most of them).

Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

I started playing SWTOR and there is a variety of races and combinations, why STO can't come up with something like that with all the alien races out there (you mentioned most of them).

I'd imagine it's because that would be VERY expensive to do. Having individual stories with things changing based on Race, Class, and Faction would take a lot of time and money to do. Cryptic most likely doesn't have the team or the funds for something like that.

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75

Cryptic most likely doesn't have the team or the funds for something like that.

It's not a question of staff or funds. Cryptic simply doesn't have the talent or creativity to do something like this.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by Valoreah

Cryptic most likely doesn't have the team or the funds for something like that.

It's not a question of staff or funds. Cryptic simply doesn't have the talent or creativity to do something like this.

That and poor engine choice as well as design choices really crippled the game. They were in such a rush to get it out and prove a corporate point about game development and release schedules that, well they ended up with this one legged dog for a game.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

The thing is, how exactly would one implement "exploration" into an MMO?

It would either be mostly tedious traveling around with nothing happening for long periods of time or it would require tons of scripting and unique assets just for the equivalent of one quest in regular MMO.

BTW, I also was very disappointed with this game. 

I'm not really sure how you translate Star Trek into an MMO, but a themepark was definitely the worst way to go.

It's too bad because the Star Trek IP has tons of room for player interactivity, but it would require creative implementation.

In the end, another crappy themepark MMO was made, disappointing tons of people but still profitable and safe for the developer.

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by holdenhamlet The thing is, how exactly would one implement "exploration" into an MMO?

Take a look at No Man's Sky.

YouTube Link
    Official Site

It can be done. Cryptic Studios definitely isn't the shop to do it though. They lack the talent, creativity, imagination and technology to even come close to developing something remotely like that.

STO is nothing more than a combat mall with tons of time gated content and flagrant cash grabs. Just look at the whole Crafting "revamp" and the Dev's talking about "solo queues".

Definitely not worth playing IMO.

• Neobloodline3dNeobloodline3d Member CommonPosts: 54
    I logged in and laughed.   I've watched every episode and movie of trek and this game isn't trek. I don't know what it is exactly but it's not trek. 
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I made the biggest mistake of my gaming career with this game, I bought a lifetime sub.  I still have bitter feelings about the mistake I made.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Neobloodline3d
    I logged in and laughed.   I've watched every episode and movie of trek and this game isn't trek. I don't know what it is exactly but it's not trek. 

STO setting is after nemesis timeline.Alpha & beta quadrants fail in to  decadence of civilization what started  long time ago during Dominion invasion.When Federation is transformed  from peaceful explorers (ENT,TOS,TNG,Voy,DS9-pre dominion war) in to militant aggressive  community (DS9-dominion war).

Alpha & beta quadrants are under strange invasions from delta quadrants,some species following uss voyager & want revenge for mess what  cpt Janeway make there.

STO is better as ST than last two JJ Abrams movies.

STO is ST game & not bad mmo,I am back after 2 years(leave after PW transformed STO in to hard core grind and too much expensive game) ,and I am must agreed it is fun game ,but there I am meet my old in game friends and maybe it is it.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    You all are depressing me. I just started playing again after beta testing years ago. Back then, I hated the game. But, a friend recently told me it is a better game now and I am actually liking the starting levels. I guess I'll go ahead and stick with it until Warlord's of Draenor releases...
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

With a few exceptions, I really liked the space combat portion of this game. Absolutely hate the graphics style of the ground combat. There was enough space combat involved to keep me engaged for some time. However, once you run through the story quests (for all factions) everything falls into the boring and repetative same ole "end game" mechanics of about every other MMO. Exploration only really exists in the story quests that, again, are marred by the terrible looking ground components. Parts of STO look and feel pretty good. But like so many MMO's, what has been done with what is there just is not implemented fully or in some cases well.

The only partially shining light on STO's dull implementation is the player crafted mission tool the Foundry. There are many Foundry missions which are pretty  good...if you find them. Cyrptic has done a fair job of helping players in finding most good quests. And if you find one, you will go "why isn't the rest of the game like this?"  I have a lifetime sub but have not played much of late. The only thing that kept me there were the good Foundry missions I could find.

Let's party like it is 1863!