Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people think you have to stay with an mmo?

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Foobarx
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

The whole point of playing an MMO is for the community... it's meant to be played for the long haul... to interact with the community... much akin to the real world, only in a virtual world setting.

Nah ... that may be your point. Not mine.

I don't play MMOs for the community. I don't play them for the long haul. I don't play them for the virtual world. Works for me, and all the players who treat MMOs as lobby games.

You like single player games... we get that.  You state it over and over again, and yet, you play MMOs... because you know they're mostly single player games... today.  You would have hated MMOs back in the day...  totally not your cup of tea.

Actually, quite the opposite. He probably would have liked them a lot. Most older MMOs had a lot of solo gameplay to them and, more importantly, didn't shift toward group-only at 'endgame' like many of today's MMOs do. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Single player games are a one time buy for the content inside the "box" If they add more it comes as a DLC that you buy.

MMOs had a sub that promised ongoing development and endless content. How true that was may vary from person to person and game to game but it was sort of the idea.

As mmos seemingly make the change from online world to online game the idea of playing it like a single player game and "buying" it when it has content till it gets used up seems more and more common.

well in a single play game you are alone, some times you can play co-op thats it. In MMOs you create a community and you have to co-op to achieve thinks. A community and friendships dont last for a few weeks as the content flows, but much more. If the MMO isnt able to hold or to create such friendships or at least communities is failed hard.

The fun factor is that themmparks looks more like single play games where you co-op rather than MMOs with live economy, territorial control etc, and they demand subscription ... how foolish ?

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Cause you pay for a subscription... simples.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

I played Skyrim (non-mmo) about 6 mos and left never to return.  Loved it!   No one is shocked that I'm no longer playing.  Why aren't people angry?  What makes people think just because a game is an mmo you must stay with it forever or the game is trash?  Skyrim wasn't trash but it didn't hold the majority of us for long.  Are we anxious corporate will not make enough money in a short term mmo?  Do we believe quality goes up over time like an aged wine?  What I'm getting at is we seem to keep looking for some fault with our mmo wondering why it will not hold our fascination for years.  That's asking to much of any dev team.  We should move on and try new things.  Let another corporation step up to the plate and make money.  Am I right?

I do not agree.

In fact I explicitly play MMO because of it long term appeal.

Just like I prefer TV shows that run together rather than a movie, same reason why I would prefer to read a trilogy instead of a short story.

Same reason I don't move where I live often.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Because thats kind of the point ? Why play a MMO if you dont want to master it ?
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    MMOs are HUGE!!!! Even badly launched MMOs have turned things around and made a great game. I could list a bunch of game that fall under that list. So its best to think of MMOs as its play style box and if you would like it if it worked. If you do its often best to stick around even if its buggy at first and make FRIENDS. Thats the other reason people play MMOs, the community and that does not happen for at least a year after launch when all the MMO hoppers have left. The really good stuff in a MMO starts a year after launch but takes people playing to happen. 
    Originally posted by Adamantine
    Because thats kind of the point ? Why play a MMO if you dont want to master it ?

Because not every MMO is about grinding to a level/rank/achievement cap. And, of the many that are, some will play to the cap, win, and move on. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I don't play video games looking to master them. I play them up be entertained for the hour or two I am playing. Whether I am any good is really irrelevant to me.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

The whole point of playing an MMO is for the community... it's meant to be played for the long haul... to interact with the community... much akin to the real world, only in a virtual world setting.

I don't play MMOs for the community. I don't play them for the long haul. I don't play them for the virtual world. Works for me, and all the players who treat MMOs as lobby games.

You like single player games... we get that.  You state it over and over again, and yet, you play MMOs... because you know they're mostly single player games... today.  You would have hated MMOs back in the day...  totally not your cup of tea.

Actually, quite the opposite. He probably would have liked them a lot. Most older MMOs had a lot of solo gameplay to them and, more importantly, didn't shift toward group-only at 'endgame' like many of today's MMOs do. 

Certainly not UO and EQ though. EQ needed a group if you want to kill any boss at all. UO was Pk everywhere. And i have other problems with those games.

Originally posted by tixylix
    Cause you pay for a subscription... simples.

what subscription? Most MMOs are F2P.

Originally posted by Adamantine

everyone has a different "point". Yours does not apply to others.

Why play a MMO if you don't want to master it? How about to have 15 min of quick fun?

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    You certainly don't have to stay with an MMO, but I would say it has nothing to do with players not wanting or taking advantage of that option, but that the current design for the genre doesn't do well to encourage people to stick around for long periods of time.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

I played Skyrim (non-mmo) about 6 mos and left never to return.  Loved it!   No one is shocked that I'm no longer playing.  Why aren't people angry?  ..................  Am I right?

6 months is pretty damn long for a single player game. Ok so there are some strategy games that I have played for way longer. But I am done with most single player games in a month. At least with the narative driven ones..

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

We should move on and try new things. 

I do not agree.

Just like I prefer TV shows that run together rather than a movie, same reason why I would prefer to read a trilogy instead of a short story.

I feel the same way. While I do enjoy the odd short film or short story or other short pleasures. I far prefer a long term commitment.

I get a far more details and a more fleshed out story or world or characters. 

Originally posted by WW4BW

I do not agree.

I feel the same way. While I do enjoy the odd short film or short story or other short pleasures. I far prefer a long term commitment.

I don't think anyone is changing minds here. People have different preferences. Personally i don't commit to mere entertainment. But i also don't care if you do.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by WW4BW

I do not agree.

I agree with both sides but depending on the MMO. A lot of MMO(rpg)s typically are not designed to hold players for a long term. They hope players will stay but there isn't much replay value with an MMO centered around completing linear, static content. On the other hand, something like Planetside 2 for example, is centered around PvP(non-linear, unpredictable continent-wide warfare) and gameplay systems(not as much meta as some would like but there are capturing points,bases,alerts..deploying spawns...etc.). Planetside 2 while even being F2P, I expect some to play it in the long run(I do) instead of CallofDuty hopping. Really, why not stay? Continuous updates, adding more gameplay systems, and keeping your progression would be missed if you jump to the next game. EVE, maybe a better example, has so many gameplay systems, has the replay and unpredictability, and is designed around long term play. It should be one you stay with or at least return to. Playing EVE for 6 months and saying "I've done it all" and quit doesn't make much sense for a game you enjoy.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I'm not really an MMOer at heart, there was just a specific game that got me into the genre.  In 10 years I've only played 3 MMOs.  If I'm going to pay monthly for a game, I feel like I have a certain investment into it and I want it to keep going for a long time and continue to entertain me.
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

I played Skyrim (non-mmo) about 6 mos and left never to return.  Loved it!   No one is shocked that I'm no longer playing.  Why aren't people angry?  What makes people think just because a game is an mmo you must stay with it forever or the game is trash?  Skyrim wasn't trash but it didn't hold the majority of us for long.  Are we anxious corporate will not make enough money in a short term mmo?  Do we believe quality goes up over time like an aged wine?  What I'm getting at is we seem to keep looking for some fault with our mmo wondering why it will not hold our fascination for years.  That's asking to much of any dev team.  We should move on and try new things.  Let another corporation step up to the plate and make money.  Am I right?

You never played a good MMO. A good MMO is a world that you live in. I know there are dozens of good single player games that you would play for a few months and then you're done with it. That's not the way a MMO works. You've made a commitment to your character and the world that he or she is in.

You're wrong :) Because you're assuming MMOs and single player games are the same other than the number of people that play. Now, modern MMOs are like you're describing and they suck.

Originally posted by Magiknight

You never played a good MMO. A good MMO is a world that you live in. I know there are dozens of good single player games that you would play for a few months and then you're done with it. That's not the way a MMO works. You've made a commitment to your character and the world that he or she is in.

You're wrong :) Because you're assuming MMOs and single player games are the same other than the number of people that play. Now, modern MMOs are like you're describing and they suck.

nah .. "good" is subjective. A good MMO, to me, is like a good SP game with good solo content.

Your "good" does not apply to me.

Certainly not UO and EQ though. EQ needed a group if you want to kill any boss at all. UO was Pk everywhere. And i have other problems with those games.

For a year or two, yes. For the past decade and a half... no. 

For a year or two, yes. For the past decade and a half... no. 

I quit the game way before they figured out PK everywhere is not a good idea for most.

Originally posted by Magiknight

nah .. "good" is subjective. A good MMO, to me, is like a good SP game with good solo content.

Your "good" does not apply to me.

Yes it is subjective.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Those that only play mmo's are missing out on some great games.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Xenoblade is a great single player game with MMO elements or elements that would be best suited for MMOs. It works as a single player game, but would be an amazing MMO.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Yeah .. and there are so many great games, and good entertainment out there .. and i wouldn't limit myself to just MMOs.