Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people think you have to stay with an mmo?

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I played Skyrim (non-mmo) about 6 mos and left never to return.  Loved it!   No one is shocked that I'm no longer playing.  Why aren't people angry?  What makes people think just because a game is an mmo you must stay with it forever or the game is trash?  Skyrim wasn't trash but it didn't hold the majority of us for long.  Are we anxious corporate will not make enough money in a short term mmo?  Do we believe quality goes up over time like an aged wine?  What I'm getting at is we seem to keep looking for some fault with our mmo wondering why it will not hold our fascination for years.  That's asking to much of any dev team.  We should move on and try new things.  Let another corporation step up to the plate and make money.  Am I right?

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Upvote/+1/Like

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Single player games are a one time buy for the content inside the "box" If they add more it comes as a DLC that you buy.

MMOs had a sub that promised ongoing development and endless content. How true that was may vary from person to person and game to game but it was sort of the idea.

As mmos seemingly make the change from online world to online game the idea of playing it like a single player game and "buying" it when it has content till it gets used up seems more and more common.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Well the point of buying an MMO is to have long term enjoyment and socialize. You can't really enjoy something long term and socialize if you are hopping games every few months.

Without games that give enough content/updates to stay relevant, MMO's become a waste of space and may as well just be RPG's that everyone plays by themselves...which is what most MMO's have become.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

Sorry OP , idk if you are serious or just trolling.

IF you are serious then it feel like P2P MMOGames are punish people $15/month for playing too slow .

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

The whole point of playing an MMO is for the community... it's meant to be played for the long haul... to interact with the community... much akin to the real world, only in a virtual world setting.  You get to create your alter-ego and live out your life as someone else.  That's what MMOs are supposed to be about.  If you go game hopping every time your free time runs out, you're not really playing an MMO, just a single player game with other players in it.

No MMO seems to have that sort of staying power anymore because people just don't care about the community aspect of games anymore.  They could care less who is the tank, or the healer, or the dps, so long as they finish the run, and as quickly as possible.

So when people leave MMOs in droves shortly after release, it is seen as the death of the game because, by definition, an MMO without a community or players, is no longer an MMO... just a single player game that you have to play online... and in some cases have to pay to play.

If you're itching to leave the game once you ding 50 or whatever the max level is, you're not into MMOs, you're into single player games.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Single player games are a one time buy for the content inside the "box" If they add more it comes as a DLC that you buy.

MMOs had a sub that promised ongoing development and endless content. How true that was may vary from person to person and game to game but it was sort of the idea.

As mmos seemingly make the change from online world to online game the idea of playing it like a single player game and "buying" it when it has content till it gets used up seems more and more common.

I wouldn't say mmos have seemingly make the change from online world to game, I would argue that they have always been online games. The illusion of an online "world" came with the persistence of it all, which was something that was fairly new for gaming in general.

I would argue what has changed is that most games now have online content of some type, so the illusion of online "world" has been removed from the minds of many gamers. 

The biggest difference between MMO and all other games is that MMOs typically have a much longer period where they are actively supported by a development team. Whereas all other games have fairly short lifespans in terms of being actively supported by an official dev team.

For the OP, I'm not sure why there is so much animosity towards folks who play multiple mmos over short periods of time. There is still a mindset that a "true mmo gamer" must support an mmo over the course of years, and to do anything less is a travesty and you're some kind of scumbag. 

At the end of the day, does it really matter what other people think? We game as a hobby that is supposed to be enjoyable. There is far too much drama and b.s. associated with something that is supposed to be entertaining.

Originally posted by Foobarx

The whole point of playing an MMO is for the community... it's meant to be played for the long haul... to interact with the community... much akin to the real world, only in a virtual world setting.  You get to create your alter-ego and live out your life as someone else.  That's what MMOs are supposed to be about.  If you go game hopping every time your free time runs out, you're not really playing an MMO, just a single player game with other players in it.

No MMO seems to have that sort of staying power anymore because people just don't care about the community aspect of games anymore.  They could care less who is the tank, or the healer, or the dps, so long as they finish the run, and as quickly as possible.

So when people leave MMOs in droves shortly after release, it is seen as the death of the game because, by definition, an MMO without a community or players, is no longer an MMO... just a single player game that you have to play online... and in some cases have to pay to play.

If you're itching to leave the game once you ding 50 or whatever the max level is, you're not into MMOs, you're into single player games.

Couldn't of said it better myself Foobar. Much better than my short post.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Well the point of buying an MMO is to have long term enjoyment and socialize. You can't really enjoy something long term and socialize if you are hopping games every few months.

There is no "the point" of buying an MMO for everyone. That is the point for you. Not for me.

I play MMOs for short term content enjoyment.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Without games that give enough content/updates to stay relevant, MMO's become a waste of space and may as well just be RPG's that everyone plays by themselves...which is what most MMO's have become.

This.

One of the biggest problems with MMORPGs these days is that they end up playing like single player games - just a lot weaker IMO since the watered down, generic, least common denominator type content you find in MMORPG single player content is pretty pathetic compared to far better single player games.

WHY play MMORPGs if what you really want is a single player gaming experience?  WHY design MMORPGs to be glorified single player games?  WHY do MMORPG designers cater to people who want single player gaming instead of those of us who actually want MMORPGs?  Sigh.

WHY design MMORPGs to be anything other than a solid MMORPG experience and to just be a single player experience that happens to be online?  That's a whole lot of extra effort, cost, development time, and extra work just to end up providing the same experience to a player that single player games provide - with some horrific quality chat thrown in.  An online persistent world with a login is kind of an unnecessary waste of time if all you want to do is solo and keep to yourself.

You could just add the low quality chat to your RPG like divinity original sin and cut out a ton of hassle.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

The whole point of playing an MMO is for the community... it's meant to be played for the long haul... to interact with the community... much akin to the real world, only in a virtual world setting.

Nah ... that may be your point. Not mine.

I don't play MMOs for the community. I don't play them for the long haul. I don't play them for the virtual world. Works for me, and all the players who treat MMOs as lobby games.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    The whole point of an MMO is defined by the individual player/consumer and no one can say their definition of the point is the correct one. I have no idea why people are so preoccupied with how other players spend their gaming $$$ or time. I know that without these "busybodies" there would hardly be any posts on this site so I get the constant negativity on here. But it truly does amaze me at the mindset of some people who think I should give a damn about their opinion of how I spend my time and $$$...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

The whole point of playing an MMO is for the community... it's meant to be played for the long haul... to interact with the community... much akin to the real world, only in a virtual world setting.

I don't play MMOs for the community. I don't play them for the long haul. I don't play them for the virtual world. Works for me, and all the players who treat MMOs as lobby games.

You like single player games... we get that.  You state it over and over again, and yet, you play MMOs... because you know they're mostly single player games... today.  You would have hated MMOs back in the day...  totally not your cup of tea.

There is no "the point" of buying an MMO for everyone. That is the point for you. Not for me.

Then you would be happier in a single player RPG.

You like single player games... we get that.  You state it over and over again, and yet, you play MMOs... because you know they're mostly single player games... today.  You would have hated MMOs back in the day...  totally not your cup of tea.

Not true at all. You could (and many did) play solo since the dawn of MMO games. Was it "harder" to do so? Maybe but many of us saw it as a challenge. That doesn't mean we would not occasionally do group/guild content. But many played most of their time solo. 

See, this is a prime example of someone who thinks his preferred play style is the only allowed way to play an MMO. My question to you sir would be: Why do you care how other people choose to play?

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

Originally posted by kakasaki

Not true at all. You could (and many did) play solo since the dawn of MMO games. Was it "harder" to do so? Maybe but many of us saw it as a challenge. That doesn't mean we would not occasionally do group/guild content. But many played most of their time solo. 

See, this is a prime example of someone who thinks his preferred play style is the only allowed way to play an MMO. My question to you sir would be: Why do you care how other people choose to play?

Personally, I think everyone should play how they enjoy a game. I stated that in another thread earlier. But when their preferred method of play starts interfering with and actively hurting another style of play, it's time to change for the developer and or the player to change games or strategies.

Then you would be happier in a single player RPG, and players like this are destroying a genre for purely selfish reasons.

<SIGH> And who nominated you grand high poobah of what is destroying the genre? Hell, who even decided that the genre is being destroyed? The self aggrandizing on this web site is laughable.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I think that MMOs have inherently been time sinks with deep lore and a focus on community. I've played plenty of MMOs in my day and I don't think that there's any reason you can't move around to different MMOs. However, games which have expert pacing can roll out content updates in such a way that they maximize the time you're in a game. 

Using WoW as an example, it takes a considerable amount of time to get through new content, but it's not all released at once. You get a slow drip of content that allows all players to come up to speed and level up and gear up before moving onto new content. Plus, it's spaced out in such a way that it almost leads you into their next expansion. However, if you're not invested in the lore or community then you'll usually move on because you don't really have any vested interest in the gmae. 

So, basically, that's why it's so simple to give up on single player games. Once you're done, you're done. There's nothing else to do. There's no community. There's no reason to stick around, unless they release some DLC. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Then you would be happier in a single player RPG, and players like this are destroying a genre for purely selfish reasons.

And who nominated you grand high poobah of what is destroying the genre? Hell, who even decided that the genre is being destroyed? The self aggrandizing on this web site is laughable.

Already been edited to protect people who get upset easily. If you want to argue, find someone else. And I nominated myself, because I'm entitled to my opinion about the genre and it's problems even if you don't agree.

Personally, I think everyone should play how they enjoy a game. I stated that in another thread earlier. But when their preferred method of play starts interfering with and actively hurting another style of play, it's time to change for the developer and or the player to change games or strategies.

By that definition we could turn it around and say your style of play is hurting the "soloers" style of play. Silly concept I know but pray tell how does a solo player interfere or hurt your style of play?

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220

I don't think anyone says you "have to stay". There is just a population of people looking for a place to stay. Thats what MMOs were "suppose" to be, and used to be when they came out, and there is a good portion of the population that misses that or is still looking for that, because thats our definition of a MMORPG. The Genre just got screwed up.

Seems like a Generational thing between people who started in the first gen of MMOs and other online gaming vs the modern era when it became mainstream and frankly...watered down.

Personally, I don't care if someone treats a game as a single player, or hops around, or is in and out, whatever floats your boat, chances are I will never cross paths with you and won't notice your presence or absence and neither will anyone else. I, however, am looking for something to call a d@mn home, and spend time in, build something lasting, enjoy for an extended period of time. It just doesn't exist anymore/yet.

~I am Many~

By that definition we could turn it around and say your style of play is hurting the "soloers" style of play. Silly concept I know but pray tell how does a solo player interfere or hurt your style of play?

Dumbing down of the community, dumbing down of game mechanics, dumbing down of pretty much every aspect of an MMO to make it more solo friendly.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788

This.....people buy MMOs for their own reason.  Not what anyone else thinks you should buy an MMO for.

Then you would be happier in a single player RPG.

Not when i want to play a Star Trek TNG era RPG ... STO is the only choice, so I play it like a SP RPG.

And who nominated you grand high poobah of what is destroying the genre? Hell, who even decided that the genre is being destroyed? The self aggrandizing on this web site is laughable.

Already been edited to protect people who get upset easily. If you want to argue, find someone else. And I nominated myself, because I'm entitled to my opinion about the genre and it's problems even if you don't agree.

I was just asking questions regarding your posts. Seems you are the one getting upset. So now you are equivocating. In one breath you state you don't care how other people play but in another you are complaining about someones play style and accuse him of destroying your enjoyment, the genre and being selfish. So, which is it? I just don't understand your stance.

Dumbing down of the community, dumbing down of game mechanics, dumbing down of pretty much every aspect of an MMO to make it more solo friendly.

nah .. just make them more like ARPG with challenging combat.