Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: Fans Give Their Reasons

Comments

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by Uilnaydar
    I want to play it just to spite excursion1

Me too.  I just pre-ordered with a one year subscription.

----

In all seriousness - I never followed this game and it only came into my spotlight about 6 months ago.  I would scroll passed articles and videos, and have no interest in it.  I then only recently about 2 months ago watched some videos with my cousin and we thought it looked fun, but still can't be sure until I try it.

I jumped into the open beta and absolutely loved it, the gameplay, the humor, the art style, music, combat, and addon feature is incredible.

The amount of content the game has at release is incredible.  I have been playing GW2 since launch, and still haven't experienced all the world bosses, or dungeons - haven't even touched fractals yet.  That's with 700 hours of gameplay already.

This game will have endless amounts of content, especially if they keep the promise of monthly updates.

Great job to the Crabine team and see all of you who are playing online tomorrow!  RP-PVE server!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by excursion1
    I doubt their reasons will be the same after the first month is overall and then they will be posting reasons why they jump ship !

I encourage anyone here to post a single game ncsoft has published that either didn't close down or go free to play , with a horrid approach to freeium mmo market. The. See the similar treads that sw:tor left when people got excited for that ! And trust me the Star Wars series has more fans than blizzard has playing wow . It's a simple fact that mmos gear the game with hype and a lot of allure . In which falls off around the first month , then the common player begins seeing what it is , starts to realize it's basically the same candy different wrapper . Quest-level-dungeon-pvp etc... Take away the hype , and the fact that 40 man raids will not work in the end I predict a massive fallout in wildstar within 12 months and free to play model introduced around 2015 . Glad I gotten my money back considering ncsofts track record . That and the fact I have invested to much time , money and effort into wow just to play something else in the end . Don't believe the hype ! Look at ncsofts past and you will see where this game is going

Have you ever played an NCSoft game to experience it, instead of developing an opinion based on 3rd party reads on the internet?  Because from what I read in your post you've never touched their product and instead are a WoW/Blizzard fan who just spouts hate at other products.

Oh, and here's 3 games at least:

• Guild Wars 2
    • Guild Wars 1
    • Lineage 2

The actually rescued City of Heroes from Cryptic before they could shut it down and ran it for many years before eventually NCSoft didn't see population vs. cost purpose.  Still, the angry fans that are stating that they killed their precious game neglect the simple fact that they saved it for a long period of time in the first place.

This game [Wildstar] has had it's Beta testing going on for over a year now.  The Beta was even shut down for several months while they revamped many aspects of the game due to feedback from the testers.  UI changed to UI 2.0 was done based on feedback, suggestions, input, and collaboration with the fans.  This game shows NO pattern to SW:TOR at all when it comes to how it has been handled and/or how it will release (instead, I'd point to TESO as having close similarities based on having a highly popular IP, short testing period, and very little feedback applied).

Wildstar has given players ample time to try the game for FREE! (10 day Open Beta) amongst the previously mentioned extended Beta and even Beta weekends.  They dropped their NDA nearly a month before TESO dropped theirs, and it still is launching after that too.  Press members have been given tons of access to the game as well.  CARBINE HIDES NOTHING from it's fans and audience as they want people to be fully aware of what the game is before investing it it.   So,...there's that....

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I can imagine it now, 45 days in, carbine are still having subs and box money pouring in, players are still having a blast with early content and just starting to scratch the end game, when out of nowhere people start whispering about the 'Bensor prediction', a whisper turns into a roar and then suddenly all subscriptions are cancelled and Carbine switches straight to F2P. the game must be rubbish clearly.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• sonnetsonnet Member UncommonPosts: 5
    oh wow......Thank you Gaz for sneakily getting most of my blurry face on the MMOPRG.com website XD
  • TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Lol. I was a WS hater at first. I have played in many of the betas. This game has improved so much just through the beta. That means something to me. Means they are listening and dedicated to making a good game. They convinced me that I should sub.... That is all that counts. :-)
  • DaraThraeDaraThrae Member Posts: 1

I loved this game when I played in beta. The combat, the dungeons, the humor, the leveling. It's even the first game that (IMO) finally got stealth right. CD reset out of combat, while still a usable in-combat class mechanic. Excellent.

That said, I won't be subscribing to this game for one reason: end-game. What is there to do for a pve player besides raid? Oh, but I'm not allowed to raid because I hate treating it like a job (show up for your shift EVERY week, don't be late, and your performance better be perfect or you're FIRED from your raid team...  To clarify: I'm usually one of the best players in the raids I participate in, and that's OTHER peoples' opinions, not mine. Everyone always tells me I should find a good hardcore guild.), and the devs have said that raiding is only for the absolute hardcore. And... I'd accept this, if I saw evidence of ANYTHING ELSE (pve) to do at end-game with actual gear rewards and lasting playability. (Please, I encourage you to post and prove me wrong. What else is there at end-game?)

Wildstar is marketed to the 11% of players who can and are willing to join hardcore raiding guilds (and the 1-2% for whom farming enough money to continue building their house is the height of their day...), but those kinds of numbers won't support a game. I predict a crash, and honestly, I'll be sad when it comes. There's so much potential here.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by kitarad
    Originally posted by koljane

My only question is (if anyone had experience in that).

If I take too much Red Bull tomorrow, like 5-8 will i have serious diarrhea cause I don`t wanna be in WC too much? 

OMG lol image you will be seriously hyper though I think.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I think that once the game has a lot more content under it's belt it'll be a good game to stick with. I haven't bought it yet but I probably will after a few updates... if the content updates are decent.

Right now the content is spread over far too many different play styles. which I think is going to hurt the game. There's a 'bit' of everything for everyone who likes themparks.. it's like the game is a jack of all trades; covers everything but doesn't excel in any one particular thing.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Gw1 and 2 are not a sub based game , rather Guild wars is a pay to play thus null from either being f2p or sub game like wildstar .

Lineage 1 is a older model and very unlikely to have a big American market .

If that's all you can provide as evidence ncsoft has a bright future then I can counter

Lineage 2 - free to play
    Aion- free to play
    City of heroes / villains - closed

Guild wars is successful due to the payment model it uses subs have declined since

Don't like what I got to say ?

Remember my posts in a few months ;)

Don't know if anyone else have quoted you about this , but let me tell you something you don't know :

Lineage 2 is still P2P in Korea/Asia ( don't know exactly what other countries beside Korea, have P2P )

Aion is still P2P in Korea/Asia ( don't know exactly what other countries beside Korea, have P2P )

Don't count West only. Seriously , if you dismiss Asia, then please do so with WoW too.

Also, all other games NcSoft was closing, was because they were ... from niches to very niches games. COH was around 10 years almost if I remember correctly. TEEN years. That, from my point of view, is enough. Sure, there were still people playing the game, but if Ncsoft said the game was not profitable, then trust, me, it wasn't. One cannot simple close a game if is profitable.

Auto Assault - Pf .. :) 

Tabula Rasa - .......................................... 

Dungeon Runners - ........ CMON!!!

If you believe the above games, were closed down because NcSoft was acting crazy, and not because the games were bad, not profitable, etc .. then learn a bit more about how a company should SUCCESSFULLY run .. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by FelixMajor

Great job to the Crabine team and see all of you who are playing online tomorrow!  RP-PVE server!

just poking fun :)

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I am not yet a fan of the game since I have not played, but pre-ordered. Here is why I will be playing:

5) Sci-fi theme. I have always preferred sci-fi to other genres.

4) The world. It looks vibrant and like a place I want to explore, plus Carbine have promised to make a world rich in lore.

3) Customizable housing. This was something I loved doing in EQ2 but Carbine have added in extra customizability on top of that. I can seriously just spend hours screwing around with housing... something I have loved doing since UO.

2) Combat that seems interesting. I need a change from the global cooldown timer style combat of WoW.

1) The amount of things to do and the promise of something for everyone. I might get into *some* raiding. I prefer games that offer something else to do other than just raid. Endgame storylines are important to me as a small group/solo player. Plus Carbine have also promised to add some sandbox elements to their game.

I really hope that Carbine do deliver on their promises. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    I doubt their reasons will be the same after the first month is overall and then they will be posting reasons why they jump ship !

I encourage anyone here to post a single game ncsoft has published that either didn't close down or go free to play , with a horrid approach to freeium mmo market. The. See the similar treads that sw:tor left when people got excited for that ! And trust me the Star Wars series has more fans than blizzard has playing wow . It's a simple fact that mmos gear the game with hype and a lot of allure . In which falls off around the first month , then the common player begins seeing what it is , starts to realize it's basically the same candy different wrapper . Quest-level-dungeon-pvp etc... Take away the hype , and the fact that 40 man raids will not work in the end I predict a massive fallout in wildstar within 12 months and free to play model introduced around 2015 . Glad I gotten my money back considering ncsofts track record . That and the fact I have invested to much time , money and effort into wow just to play something else in the end . Don't believe the hype ! Look at ncsofts past and you will see where this game is going

Nah, WS is the first big MMO in a long time to not really get hyped that much. Carbine have not had a huge marketing campaign, lots of game sites did not make much buzz about it during its development, and so far I have not seen evidence of the devs pumping up their product to the heights of dizzy, unrealistic uberness unlike some other big MMOs that have come out more recently. In fact they just survived a huge launch of a competitor earlier this year and that is no mean feat considering the huge amount of noise around that game... that game almost threw Carbine into the pit of who-cares-about-WS-anymore?.

I am not that fond of NCSoft either, but I would prefer to support Carbine rather than punish them for their choice of publisher.

Will WS be a totally different MMORPG experience for me? Definitely not but it will be different at least in some ways and hopefully those ways will make it a fun offering for me. I also hope that the areas in which is it similar to other games are the good ones. WoW was a new iteration of older ideas and that has lasted me, well since a bit after its launch to current and will continue to do so. If WS can last even half that long for me, it will be an excellent game!

I am one of those players who will not care if the 40 mans succeed or fail (not sure I see why they won't work at all when past evidence shows they work for at least part of a game's population).

I see no reason why I can't play both WoW and WS. There is plenty of room in this market for both games to coexist. I doubt WS will be as big as WoW, but I do hope it will live a long, healthy MMO life.

Why does every new game need to be compared to WoW and then predicted to die in one year's time? I have seen this claimed time and time again and so far it has never happened. It is not because someone wants to try out a new game that they are evil or perverse, or that every new game sucks automatically, just because YOU don't like it. And why leave WoW for WS? Perhaps one gets tired of playing the same game for years on end? Just a guess... I mean how many times do you want to reroll and play through the same content without a break?

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• TraceOfDustMitesTraceOfDustMites Member Posts: 28
    GW2 is raking in plenty of money. F2P does not mean failure, they make plenty on micro transactions.
  • DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204
    I actually played wildstar beta and I play a lot of mmos this is not the first time I heard how great a mmo is

I don't hate wildstar , I hate players who keep buying into bad game hype at first then post negative crap about it like they knew all along

That's my problem with the players not the game .

Man this sure sounds like exactly what you just did, you bought into the hype, played the beta...even PRE-ORDERED the game, and are now posting negative crap about it....so you must hate yourself a lot?

Originally posted by DaraThrae

I'd accept this, if I saw evidence of ANYTHING ELSE (pve) to do at end-game with actual gear rewards

No I disagree, what you really mean is actual raid equivalent gear rewards, because you want to invalidate the investment that those exclusive rewards bring, and make the raids easy enough to pug so that you can faceroll your way to epics.

Why don't you create an Open Raid thread on your server forums for people just like you....I mean, you cant possibly be the only one in this situation right? especially since you just said it will doom the game..so there must be an overwhelming amount of players just like you, so create a circle and forum post and raid whenever you all are online.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Nadia

I encourage anyone here to post a single game ncsoft has published that either didn't close down or go free to play ,

Lineage is still a sub game

Does Lineage even exist in the regions that 99% of this sites users are in?

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

I feel the combat system is why this game will fail to thrive.  No action combat MMORPG has done well.  My question is when will Devs learn what MMORPG gamers want and make that?  Not add stuff the audience doesn't want.

If Wildstar is everything you want, then I am not talking about or for you.  Enjoy your game.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

honestly even if it's "wow with better combat and housing" that alone should be able to hold people for a long long time.

i am DLing it now so I dont have a fully formed opinion yet.  but i will say that i dont have the NCHate that many others do.  I loved L2 and GW1 and liked aion.  and never got to play CoX so never got the bitterness from them cosing it.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• JeminaiJeminai Member UncommonPosts: 151
    one word "Garish"

regurgitated Burning Crusade, minus any fantasy elements and as futuristic as Ben 10.
    so Disney it gave me a headache.
  • kp695304kp695304 Member UncommonPosts: 26

IT is a pretty impressive game from what I have played so far. I would call it a mashup of WoW, GW2, and borderlands in design and spirit. There is also the fact that it seems to be in a very complete and polished state. Its not perfect but how many games launch with what wildstar has? What wildstar has done very well is the classes, combat and skills. Killing stuff feels good, and I mean better than usual, even basic attacks feel like they really conect. Telegraphs, 2d aiming, and dodging  are very fluid and complex.

I was not very enthusuastic about wildstar, although after a few days really getting into it Im really enjoying it. I can only imagine what they could do with a game like this in a few years, it will be fun.

Like or dislike wildstar it is one of the best MMO's ever launched. It has the full package, it is original (if somewhat odd) IP,  and all the pieces of it works very well together.

• JeminaiJeminai Member UncommonPosts: 151
    I find the combat far from original. the AE animation for casting has been around for a while an other games have done it better. I was a little put out that I had to stand still to cast lol. it's a slight improvement over WoW and swtor combat but only that you now need to aim slightly and can see exactly where not to stand to avoid damage. so if you are coming from wow or tor to wildstar then yes it's better... but there are much better combat systems in other games also.
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Nadia

I encourage anyone here to post a single game ncsoft has published that either didn't close down or go free to play ,

Lineage is still a sub game

Boom, headshot!

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• subxaerosubxaero Member UncommonPosts: 94

I've just reached 20 lvl with my Engineer(been playing a lot though almost 2 days now).

The game so far is FANTASTIC.It doesnt lie , its an improved version of WoW.So what?.Fantastic quests.Challenges along with quests  in every area that make questing enjoyfull,Fantasic enviroment, SOCIAL u group with people just to do a fefw quests and then u group up with again for adventures. The interface is by far the best  that has ever been created for an MMO.

Housing is addictive, i try not to visit my home cause i know it wil  make me stay with hours and try to decorate it.

Dungeons, are way better than i expected with trully difficulty, cc interupts needed, and tricky bosses(i have been to 2).I would like to p[oint out a few things.

First , the game is Rewarding in every aspect

Second .101 Completed quests--0 bugs. The only thing that need to solve is the interface bug,which easily temporary solved with a specific addon.The more i play the more i cry my money i spent on ESO, where in the first 10 lvls i enquantered like 6-7 bugs(not to menion later)..That to those people who argued about all that tsunami of bugs its normal for a release in an MMO after 4 months of Beta.Gold sellers non so far-bots non so far(though i expect they will make their apperance)

In generally it gives me that lost awesome feeling when u try to complete a few quests,and u make a party with a random guy and turn to be friends (and neighbours in housing lol)

3- They have improved the battle systsem since Bet   A LOT.My only issue is the PvP,I  might still be not very much  used to the fuctions, but with all theses telegraphs, its tricky to aim and actually see who u hitting, it makes it a bit messy.

But in general my Impressions so far are fantastic

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    By going the direction they did with the art, WIldstar pretty much sold out from the get go...Even if the game is nothing like wow, it look too much like WoW for most of our tastes....This is definitely a "wait till it goes f2p" game in my book.....im sure its just a matter of time.
  • Jasper82Jasper82 Member Posts: 2
    +1 excursion1

No pain
    No gain

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Pretty much every company's games go F2P now. How is that damning against NCSoft? SoE, Trion, Funcom, EA/Bioware, they all go F2P now. It's just the way the market it is now, not easy to maintain a sub based game anymore.