Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asia never stops amazing

2»

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by Vapors
    Originally posted by BailoPan15

So, while we have [mod edit] claiming that Gw2 is dead, because of their own opinion and/or XFire (who uses that anymore anyway ) it is worth nothing to stop by and check that Gw2 is so hot in Asia right now that it trumped WoW.

You want sources? Here are your sources!

http://www.gamesinasia.com/the-top-10-hottest-pc-games-in-china-may-2014/

Where do you see that people say gw2 is death lol?

everywhere on this forums, but i know thats a minority of people that dont like the game. GW2 is very successful.

Eh, I wouldn't venture to guess that it's a minority saying it. It's a fairly large chunk based off my observations of server population over the past 2 years and the fact they had to merge all the servers together to get enough people to do world events. It's become a very successful niche game to be sure, but having been in more than my fair share of 200+ player guilds and watching them die over the last 2 years I'd say they have about 500k-1mil people still playing, which is a smashing success when compared to other niche games, but it doesn't approach the monolithic titan we all know and love :p

1/3rd player retention is great for a B2P game and I think they will do better in China based off all the mistakes that were made in US/EU. Anet isn't stupid, they do learn from their mistakes most of the time.

It's kind of a moot point because both of us are using personal observations rather than hard numbers which for some reason everyone but WoW is scared to show anyone.

The Megaserver wasn't created to solve low population to do world events. Those were easily doable in most servers, even the lower pop ones.

Megaserver exists to populate the areas with less players and it did so successfully, while a server merge would have problems doing that.

According to you, that monolithic titan we all know and love, also merged servers with their cross realm zones.

Well you are comparing a game that has hundreds of servers versus a game that has tens of servers as well. It's really hard to compare those kinds of numbers, as the chance of servers being low population are going to go up as more servers are introduced in any game.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Deathsmind
    I think the OP needs to read the source. No where does it say the hottest game is based on people playing. 

That is true, it is more about press coverage and what people talk about than actual sales number.

But that doesn't make it bad news, far from it. We will probably get a real number of sales when the game been out a month there, I heard people talking about 3 million sales the first day quoting someone at NC soft but the number only been out on less than reliable webpages and might just be wishful thinking or a guess and until we got a real number it can more or less be any number between 1-5M (more we already heard about, less and it wouldn't be on this list).

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    I think the OP needs to read the source. No where does it say the hottest game is based on people playing. 

Exactly, the article ranks them in order of ´ hype´ which isn´t even defined, and then the OP brags because GW2, which has been out a few weeks has more ´hype´ than a 10 year old game with a subscription.  WOW has a lot of things going for it, but hype is not one of them.  It is an old game and even it´s expansions are fairly predictable.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

The Megaserver wasn't created to solve low population to do world events. Those were easily doable in most servers, even the lower pop ones.

Megaserver exists to populate the areas with less players and it did so successfully, while a server merge would have problems doing that.

According to you, that monolithic titan we all know and love, also merged servers with their cross realm zones.

Well you are comparing a game that has hundreds of servers versus a game that has tens of servers as well. It's really hard to compare those kinds of numbers, as the chance of servers being low population are going to go up as more servers are introduced in any game.

Again, the problem wasn't the population of which server, but their dispersion - WvW has queues, popular world events or living stories would have overflows 24/7.

You start with 2 million players, spread over 51 worlds (servers) with access to 11 maps and then they have access to 31 maps, plus dungeons, plus fractals, plus wvw, plus sPvP.

Even if the population remained the same, the population density would decrease by at least a factor of 3.

The population declined some, then gained some, then kinda stabilized.

A server merge make popular areas have more players. A megaserver make every map have players.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208

Yeah, I was thinking, hottest based on what? And if it's on active players, why don't they post the exact number?

Can someone read chinese? The top 10 list comes from the 17173 site, which is fully in chinese. I would also like to understand how the made that list, all I can understand from google translate is they measure the "hotness" of a game based on maybe number of hits on google or something like that.

I'm actually more surprised the number 2, 3 and 4 are games I never heard of.

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by Manasong

Yeah, I was thinking, hottest based on what? And if it's on active players, why don't they post the exact number?

Can someone read chinese? The top 10 list comes from the 17173 site, which is fully in chinese. I would also like to understand how the made that list, all I can understand from google translate is they measure the "hotness" of a game based on maybe number of hits on google or something like that.

It could be China's xfire or raptr.

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185

You can use chrome google translates it for you.

Here is how they determine how hot a game is.

Heat value of the integrated voting, flow index, user behavior, etc., can be more comprehensive ranking of the new tour, bringing acts to prevent brush votes ranking soared.

Doesnt say anyhting else besides that.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    [THREAD TITLE] the world with their bizarre and odd game shows.
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    What does this have to do with the price of tea in China.. I mean seriously. Why does it make some of you happy that a game is popular in a country in which you don't live? Am I missing something? I spose if you live in China this could matter.. But I live in the US and I really don't care about the most popular games here. I only care about the one I'm currently playing lol.

Again, the problem wasn't the population of which server, but their dispersion - WvW has queues, popular world events or living stories would have overflows 24/7.

You start with 2 million players, spread over 51 worlds (servers) with access to 11 maps and then they have access to 31 maps, plus dungeons, plus fractals, plus wvw, plus sPvP.

Even if the population remained the same, the population density would decrease by at least a factor of 3.

The population declined some, then gained some, then kinda stabilized.

A server merge make popular areas have more players. A megaserver make every map have players.

I have to admit that I was a bit of critical before it was implemented but the megasevers are solid. Now completing those places that always tend to be almost empty in any game is actually fun and they wont need to merger any servers.

I remember when I played EQ2, my server merged several times, where a while between each mergers and then needed another one, and still were all players either in the noob zones or the top level ones.

This is better because it actually works, the only down side is that at times when I zone in one player in the group will have to click on the "join player x" to get in the right server but that is about it.

Originally posted by Havekk
    What does this have to do with the price of tea in China.. I mean seriously. Why does it make some of you happy that a game is popular in a country in which you don't live? Am I missing something? I spose if you live in China this could matter.. But I live in the US and I really don't care about the most popular games here. I only care about the one I'm currently playing lol.

Well, having more players do tend to add more resources to the game for updates and expansions. That never hurts, we seen many companies who have fired a large number of employees a while after launch and become less and less frequent with updates. That havn't happened to ANET but well many other companies like Bioware-Mythic as example.

But that is about it unless the game passes Wow and you want to throw that in the face of Wow playing boasting friends...

• redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Your concerned about translating a Chinese website and it's all I can do to translate the post I am reading on this forum. Are......Our....What's the difference right? Such a pain in the ass to translate so many different languages, especially tard, redneck, hip hopper, dropout, prepubescent, moron and many other's I have encountered reading post from this website. I think everyone here that understands what the idiot before them tried to say is herby considered multilingual.
  • laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

The ranking is base on voting, bandwidth, user behavior, some sort of index.  

Obviously not 100% accurate.  

But at least much more accurate than the this site.  Aka GW2 scores high on this site, since the dev of this site happen to like this game =).  Or it just happen that 100 people(who most likely are fake user) vote for it.

Honestly dont' take the score too serious.  But it does show GW2 is starting strong in China.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I don't play GW2 anymore, but I still believe GW2 is an amazing game and anyone said it "failed" or "flop" is terribly mistaken.  There is a reason it is rated so highly in reviews and on this site.  I also think that GW2 has bar-none the best combat I've ever played in an MMORPG.  I'm playing AA now, and I love it, but the combat in AA is nowhere near as good as GW2's combat.

Personally, I do not see GW2 as a game that you play for years and years constantly like WoW or UO.  It's more of a game that you play heavily at first, then takea  break, but you can always come back to whenever you feel like it, or when new content is released.

When ANet releases a proper expansion, I know I will be coming back to GW2!

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208

Heat value of the integrated voting, flow index, user behavior, etc., can be more comprehensive ranking of the new tour, bringing acts to prevent brush votes ranking soared.

Thats what I got from the translate, which doesn't make much sense/explain a lot, so if someone knew chinese they could search more.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

Thats what I got from the translate, which doesn't make much sense/explain a lot, so if someone knew chinese they could search more.

pretty self explanatory.  Basically it's like the voting for top 100 most influencial people in Time's Magazine.  There isn't really 1 matrix which they use to make the list.  I suppose that's typically how the eastern web site make their list.

The largest gaming site in my region, sort of did the same thing.  Which basically measures the amount of hit of post on each game forum etc.  Ironically it is usually fairly accurate, because for some reason, people visit those gaming site forum more than they visit those official game forum.