Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Top 5 Casual MMORPGs

Comments

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    I playing casual Eve,most time weekends only

Eve is the most hardcore game in existence because the end game involves keeping up relationships with people AND doing stuff with them.

Perhaps you haven't got to the end game yet. It takes a long time to get the skill points.

I disagree, my 7 years in EVE were the most casual of any MMO I've played.  The amount of social interaction you want in EVE is entirely up to the individual.  As a null sec industrialist I could achieve more in EVE, with less play time invested, than I could with any of the games on the list.  

Goonwaffe is the most casual corp in EVE.  Is it a coincidence they're the largest? 

I would take mabinogi off the list and put EVE in the number one spot.  

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

There is no such thing as a casual game. Casual/hardcore gamers are the same person.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by toafarmer
    I dont respect any "top x" list where gw2 is included as a good game. Gw 1 was awesome, gw2 is a boring generic mmo.

I thought GW1 was pretty terrible, so now that we have that evened out.........

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet

WoW is not a casual MMO...

You included it because "any list of top MMOs must have WoW in it"?

Are you kidding?  The massive amount of content that can be solo'd trumps any "currently relevant" raiding there is, and it's been like that since Wotlk.  At one time, it would have seemed wrong to put WoW on this list, but now that you have people solo'ing a dozen or so old raids just for skins and almost all expac "elites" have been nerfed, to say nothing of the dungeons being super easy thanks to BoA's and quick thanks to dungeon finder, it's got casual written ALL OVER IT these days.

They included it because it's true, it doesn't matter if you agree or not, because the opposite of casual seems to be "hardcore" and WoW - by and large - is anything but.

• TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by NDC19
    Guild Wars 2's catering to casual players has pretty much made it one of the biggest flops ever. 

Kinda hard to call it a flop when it's one of a handful of games that can boast 3 million unique players.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by Torrmwyre
    Originally posted by NDC19
    Guild Wars 2's catering to casual players has pretty much made it one of the biggest flops ever. 

Kinda hard to call it a flop when it's one of a handful of games that can boast 3 million unique players.

In Arenanet perfect dream only.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by doodphace

Everyone has their own theory as to why WoW's subs started to drop back to BC levels. All I am saying is the drop didnt start to happen until well into Cata, not WotLK. WoW peaked while it was casual, and dropped as soon as they tried to bring it back in line with its more hardcore days. That may just be coincidental (an prob is), but its an absolute fact.

probably are many reasons but i think it dropped due to the overuse of phasing and linear questing

Prior to Cata - leveling alts was fun for me  (i leveled over 40 alts)

After Cata - I no longer enjoyed leveling alts in WOW  

-- I did not change, the entire world of WOW changed   (except BC and LK)

I personally think the biggest and most overlooked reason is the plethora of alternate options avaiable since 2011 (when the sub started dropping). Prior to 2011, your AAA themepark MMO option were very limited.

The most overlooked reason is the most obvious reason:

WoW is an old game.  People spent years in it.  It was just time to move on. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Both WoW and GW2 are the kings of casual...You could take any untrained player and they'd make max level without much difficulty in either game.
  • BristingrBristingr Member Posts: 3
    Wooo! Go Mabinogi!
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Both WoW and GW2 are the kings of casual...You could take any untrained player and they'd make max level without much difficulty in either game.

That is true, but the same could be said of almost any MMO today. Only a few FFA PvP games are different nowadays.

Kinda makes me miss M59 and Eq. ..

Originally posted by Aeonblades

I played for 2 years and the bottom half of the tiers were dead pre megaserver merge. If you disagree that's fine, but I'm entitled to my opinion and my observation, accompanied with several guilds I have been in on GW2 over the years breaking apart due to lack of interest and players.

I do like the game by the way, it just has way too many problems that aren't being addressed quickly enough to hold a good player retention rate. It's still a highly populated game to be sure, but I would be very surprised if more than one million players play the game out of the 3 million that bought it.

The game is definitely packed in the PvE world now because everyone is on the same server, but the fact that it had to be done to even make it seem like there were players at all is a dead give away. There is light at the end of the tunnel for long time fans though, there are all sorts of expansion hints and hopefully they learned from the LS debacle of the first season to know that temporary content just doesn't work the way they imagined it would.

If you don't see the decline or you have a solid community, that's great and I'm glad you are enjoying it! But everyone I know personally has already moved on to other games or logs in once a month just to see if problems/issues have been fixed and content has been added.

I loved WvW, but due to lack of population and severe imbalances the game has been in a steady decline for 1.5 years+.

The game does remain one of the best, if not the best, leveling experiences 1-80 in any MMO to date. The problem is, unless you unlimited time or a whole lot of money to spend on the cash shop, the game ends at 80 for most players as there is little end game activity beyond farming and WvW.

Zonedeath have been in every level based MMO since Meridian 59. After a while are most players high level and play the higher zones, some start on alts and do the noob zones and the in-between becomes more or less empty. Check out any other PvE based MMO that been out for more than 3 months and you see the same.

Heck, EQ2 was so bad before F2P that over 90% were in the top level zones.

My Gw2 server (seafarers rest) have a que for at least an hour to eternal battlegrounds any hour of the day a normal person have the time to play. Then again, I dunno how other servers are faring and I have no clue how the game is doing in the US. But my server have been pretty stable since 2 months after launch.

• BristingrBristingr Member Posts: 3
    So, why are the pictures so inconsistent? The first two pictures are placed above the game title, but the last one is placed below.
  • ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348

This was a shit list imo. Mabinogi is NOT a game for casual players. That game is far harder than most games solely due to the combat system alone. The only way i could see casual players enjoying that game is if they didn't do combat at all in that game(which you can do).

Runescape...really? I mean unless you not only throw money at jagex but also endlessly grind in that game, you won't amount to the shit stuck on the bottom of a farmer's shoe.

GW2 i won't say isn't a casual game, but to put it on a list of the top 5 casual games? Fuck no.

You want some casual games? Where the fuck is FFXIV: ARR or RO2. Countless super casual games that should be on that list in the place of those games. Half of them aren't even casual at all.

• ShokushukoShokushuko Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Rhime

"Before WoW, you would have to truly search environments, talk to NPCs, and decipher information for quests."

This statement made me realize what younger players feel makes a good "casual" game. It also defines what is happening to the genre of MMO games and why the sandbox is more than ever needed to save our online adventure games.

Casual gaming applies more to adults than it does to children. As great as hardcore sandbox MMORPGs are, it's really only children, unemployed/dependant adults, and pensioners that can put enough time into them. Adults with a life can't give the time investment, so adults with a job and family are the real consumers of casual gaming.

Originally posted by Shokushuko

Casual gaming applies more to adults than it does to children. As great as hardcore sandbox MMORPGs are, it's really only children, unemployed/dependant adults, and pensioners that can put enough time into them. Adults with a life can't give the time investment, so adults with a job and family are the real consumers of casual gaming.

Really depends on your job, if you work on a ship or oil platform you work constantly a month or so and then have the same time off, plenty of spare time to play. But yeah, my gaming is suffering from me working (and trying to have a life). 8 hours work, 8 hours sleep, getting to and from work and some kind of social life means that a few hours a day is tops weekdays.

Also, people tend to think that kids suck at gaming but that is rather unfair. The game we used to play on our old C-64 were way harder than anything today, MMO or not and we never complained.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    GW2 is indeed the number 1 casual MMO. So easy to hop back in and out whenever I am available.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Top 5 not casual friendly mmos would be a more interesting read. You could sub almost any game for the ones on that list and still be "right"
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Top 5 not casual friendly mmos would be a more interesting read. You could sub almost any game for the ones on that list and still be "right"

Anarchy Online.....that is all :P

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83

mabinogi casual hahaha if you were to play it casually it take you 2 years before you could even be considered a beginner.

Note any game that bases skills/spells advancement on use and kills is not something you can casually play and expect to get things done.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Shokushuko

Really depends on your job, if you work on a ship or oil platform you work constantly a month or so and then have the same time off, plenty of spare time to play. But yeah, my gaming is suffering from me working (and trying to have a life). 8 hours work, 8 hours sleep, getting to and from work and some kind of social life means that a few hours a day is tops weekdays.

Also, people tend to think that kids suck at gaming but that is rather unfair. The game we used to play on our old C-64 were way harder than anything today, MMO or not and we never complained.

There's more to casual gaming than how much time you have to play.

• Dallad1957Dallad1957 Member Posts: 1
      I would say that DC Universe is one of the Worse MOs for casual gamers due to lack of post end cap activities for such a person.  there is only Grinding for Gear after reaching level Cap.  However I would highly recommend Star Trek Online for a casual gamer because there is always something to do at most levels whether it be exploration,  side missions, crafting or PVP, and special events. plus when new content is added, It's free
  • CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187
    I usually don't say this about articles but David, in my humble opinion...you might reconsider rewriting your top 5 list :)
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

i believe every f2p game is casual, cause it doesnt demand subscription, you can go and visit when ever you want. Just when you want to progress better/faster you use boosters from cash shops (which seems pretty legit.. i have time to play on the weekend  i will get a booster for the weekend, simple)

about the current list yes GW2 is one of the best casual games xD i can miss from the game 6 months and when i return i am still pretty god dammit effective in WvW or sPvP..

• XepherdXepherd Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Love how the word 'casual' is taken as an insult by some...
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    When I was raiding in WoW, I would raid for 2 hours a night, 3 days a week (6 hrs a week total)...and thats the ONLY time I would be in WoW. I was nowhere near world firsts, but we would get through most of each heroic tier before the subsequent tier would be released. On the other hand, I knew quite a few people who would spend 3-4 hours a day minimum on wow, but would only run dungeons and the occaional LFR......which one of us is "casual"?