Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Literally all I want is Original EQ with better graphics.

Comments

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Ivylena
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

The original EQ was just such a classic Roleplaying Game. When you look at how MMO's are built now adays, most just dont have that classic Roleplaying feel to them. They try to throw everything at the player too fast, and force-feed this idea that the player is a hero from the very start of the game. 

In Classic EQ, a rat could kill you at level 1, you would miss swings, your spells would fizzle, your mana would fluctuate randomly like your magic was reluctant to work properly; you were a mess in other words.

You didnt start off killing a badass monster, you started off as all real hero's do, with merely a will and no way in sight but what random path you walked down. 

You would talk to NPC's, read and listen to what they said carefully, and then you would talk back to them. It wasnt much, but if you chose to, you could roleplay your character to the NPC's, they felt alive and they always had something inspiring or intriguing to point out to you.

There wasnt a clear cut level above each enemies head, you would simply "Consider" the enemy, and the game would give you an estimate of what would happen in the fight, almost like a second consciousness in the game saying things like "Well you could try to kill it, but its defiently a gamble". It wasnt a cut and dry system, it wasnt reduced to hard numbers, it was a choice, one that you made not always knowing the complications of your actions, this was a REAL choice.

Then you would finally get proficient at what you were doing, you would start to hit the target more, you magic would grow stronger and more controlled. You'd get a pet maybe, and try to attack a small gnoll camp on your own. You would take a couple of them, and feel a sense of accomplishment when you almost had the fight in your favor, and then it would happen...

A Skeleton would come out of nowhere, just randomly wadering the zone to happen upon you in the midst of the hardest fight of your in game life, and in one strike he would take you down, proving to you that you were not that powerful, not yet, you were going to need help.

In a flash of black you would die and be without all your spells, knowledge, and gear. You would run back to your corpse, gather up all your belongings, relearn your spells, and take some time to learn from your mistakes, or maybe not, but eventually with enough time you would. 

You might get a friend to help you next time, or maybe just a stranger, maybe by luck a passerby would buff you with some helpful enchantments, you didnt know, but you knew when you saw another player they were going through or - had gone through - alot of the same experiances of loss and challenge, and that alone made it part of the experiance. Other players werent constantly competing with you, they had enough competition in the world to worry about, and you were just another player in this universe's immense struggle.

This is what EQ was about, and all I want is that same game but with better graphics. A game rich with exploration, conflict, choices, and a sense of danger and philosophy. A game that is more than a show of numbers and who has the better gear, but an authentically immersive experiance.

https://www.everquestnext.com/home

Whatever Everquest NOT! turns out to be it will not a be new version of the original Everquest.  Eve in tights perhaps but not Everquest.

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485
    When faced with the reality of such a game you would not enjoy it. Just like the people who nostalgia miss the old Nintendo 8 bit platform games don't REALLY want a new version with updated graphics of those things.  Games are better now OP - you are just jaded - believe it. EQ had awful "gameplay' hell it barely qualified as a game..
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by GuyClinch
    EQ had awful "gameplay' hell it barely qualified as a game..

All old MMO's had awful gameplay, terrible UI's, and really bad mechanics.

What they also had was danger, large worlds to explore, accountability, reputation, expanded trinity, and community.  I believe that's what this thread is about.

• ahrounahroun Member Posts: 14

Agreed.  I just want EQ with updated graphics.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    When faced with the reality of such a game you would not enjoy it. Just like the people who nostalgia miss the old Nintendo 8 bit platform games don't REALLY want a new version with updated graphics of those things.  Games are better now OP - you are just jaded - believe it. EQ had awful "gameplay' hell it barely qualified as a game..

Speak for yourself. The Rayman, Mario, and Sonic games have had a couple of bad ones in transition, but they've all been pretty great over the last decade.

All new MMOs since 2004 have been the poopshits.

a yo ho ho

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    To me combat doesn't feel that different in MMOs from what originally existed.  It's still limited by internet connection speeds.  The main difference is there are less abilities, the abilities aren't very interesting, and you are very restricted in what you can do in combat.  In old MMOs you could use the terrain to your advantage (kiting, standing on a roof and shooting at something).  This can't be done in current MMO games.  Combat is still overall real time turn based, but it's been modified to make you feel like you are dodging attacks (FPS), but it's not.  MMOs can't handle FPS style combat at the moment.  MMO combat is fairly simplistic these days, but the numbers are not.  Generally you will see a lot of diminishing returns on items and abilities these days.  Old MMOs had no diminishing returns.  The numbers were generally very simple and easy to calculate.  It doesn't really matter though because those diminishing returns make numbers not nearly as relevant as they once were IMO.
  • QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Quicksand
    Originally posted by midnitewolf

Honestly I think alot of people would like to see an upgraded version of vanilla EQ.  

However, vanilla EQ also had some issues.  The lack of ability to solo AT ALL unless you were one of a handful of classes was a bit much.  Also a Death Penalty where you could lose a day or more of progression with just a tad bad luck was over the top.  Don't get me wrong, the penalty should be harsh enough you absolutely DID NOT WANT TO DIE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE but you could accomplish that with a few hours of lost XP, not days worth of lost XP.  Also, I think there should have been skills/spells awarded at every level rather than every 4 levels especially with such an extensive grind.  Finally the grind itself needed to be toned down just a bit, probably by about half.  I mean 2-3 years of hard play to reach max level honestly was a bit much.  A year though seems just about right, especially with the AA system that offered a basically never ended progression even after you reached max level.  Also group play with downtime is a requirement, though I don't think we need 3-5 mins between pulls.

Design and offers that game and I will be a proud subscriber within 30 seconds of it being playable.

I completely agree about the Death-Penalty. I done think you should lose a level from Death, or even a days worth of play, but I think 10% of your exp or a fixed number is fair. 

This is one of those things where it sounds hypocritical for me to say I want "Exactly Vanilla EQ" with better graphics. But no game is perfect and I think its well documented enough that losing a level or a days worth of EXP for a single death is poor design. 

Still if 95% of what made Vanilla EQ is there, with better graphics, I will consider that a  glorious victory for MMO's.

The very point of the topic destroyed on the very first page. "I want original EQ but with new graphics.... only change the things I dont like about it and make it like modern mmos in all of those areas"

Your complaining that modern game devs have done exactly what you are saying should be done. So I guess when you said "Literally" in your title, you didn't actually mean, you know, literally...

I agree with your actual thread title, completely, death penalties and all.

Haha your the second person to comment on this and I'll say the same thing to you that I said to them. I do want original EQ with better graphics, if I had it my way I would change the harsh death penalty. I can want both things at the same time, I can have more than one opinion on a subject. It's a completely hypothetical situation we are talking about. I liked EQ death penalty a, they had their place, but if I was personally recreating it I would drop them or tone then down. I'm not making it though so I would completely accept a remodeled original EQ in all it's glory; harsh death penalty n all. 

Fair enough.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

You guys do know that the guy who made EQ tried to bring it back with better graphics and his kickstarter failed. The reason no one Is doing this is because no one REALLY wants.

If they did they would be lining up to play archeage or still playing EQ. The truth is its a dead demographic. A small group of people want to bring EQ back (smaller then the number that originally played - which was pretty small!) and most of those people will find some random reason to hate on it. Oh they have quest now or maybe they have improved combat mechanics - maybe they will have voice acting. It could be anything..

The 40 something people that once played a slow MMO is not a good demographic to go after. Just let it go - try some of the new games - I mean REALLY try them. Try the end game - try different builds. You will find they can surprise you..

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

You guys do know that the guy who made EQ tried to bring it back with better graphics and his kickstarter failed. The reason no one Is doing this is because no one REALLY wants.

no.

They reason it failed was because he has a somewhat infamous reputation and his kickstarter was more like "hey, let's just throw some ideas around, try for less than we need and make regular things such as crafting "stretch goals".

and apparently, it is said, that he took ~40k of the money they did raise from players (I assume from their website) for his own self.

Even if it is not true, the rumor of it is enough to keep people away.

THAT is why it failed.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

The overly nostalgic always leave out the grinding a mob spawn for days at a time waiting for a loot drop or for EXP.

I don't think you would actually find this fun anymore. Yes, people talked during the down time and made friends, but only because you had nothing else to do. Questing and a faster pacing was a direct response to people not wanting to wait for 10 minutes in between every fight and sit there killing the same mobs over and over and over. Waiting for mobs to spawn kills my immersion.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

If they did they would be lining up to play archeage or still playing EQ. The truth is its a dead demographic. A small group of people want to bring EQ back (smaller then the number that originally played - which was pretty small!) and most of those people will find some random reason to hate on it. Oh they have quest now or maybe they have improved combat mechanics - maybe they will have voice acting. It could be anything..

The 40 something people that once played a slow MMO is not a good demographic to go after. Just let it go - try some of the new games - I mean REALLY try them. Try the end game - try different builds. You will find they can surprise you..

They changed EQ to be a modern MMO. How many times do I have to type that?

• HpnotiqHpnotiq Member Posts: 64
    I would like an update to DAOC with a killer graphics engine and a complete overhaul of the game.  I would even reactivate my old buff bot!
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by craftseeker
    Originally posted by Ivylena

The original EQ was just such a classic Roleplaying Game. When you look at how MMO's are built now adays, most just dont have that classic Roleplaying feel to them. They try to throw everything at the player too fast, and force-feed this idea that the player is a hero from the very start of the game. 

In Classic EQ, a rat could kill you at level 1, you would miss swings, your spells would fizzle, your mana would fluctuate randomly like your magic was reluctant to work properly; you were a mess in other words.

You didnt start off killing a badass monster, you started off as all real hero's do, with merely a will and no way in sight but what random path you walked down. 

You would talk to NPC's, read and listen to what they said carefully, and then you would talk back to them. It wasnt much, but if you chose to, you could roleplay your character to the NPC's, they felt alive and they always had something inspiring or intriguing to point out to you.

There wasnt a clear cut level above each enemies head, you would simply "Consider" the enemy, and the game would give you an estimate of what would happen in the fight, almost like a second consciousness in the game saying things like "Well you could try to kill it, but its defiently a gamble". It wasnt a cut and dry system, it wasnt reduced to hard numbers, it was a choice, one that you made not always knowing the complications of your actions, this was a REAL choice.

Then you would finally get proficient at what you were doing, you would start to hit the target more, you magic would grow stronger and more controlled. You'd get a pet maybe, and try to attack a small gnoll camp on your own. You would take a couple of them, and feel a sense of accomplishment when you almost had the fight in your favor, and then it would happen...

A Skeleton would come out of nowhere, just randomly wadering the zone to happen upon you in the midst of the hardest fight of your in game life, and in one strike he would take you down, proving to you that you were not that powerful, not yet, you were going to need help.

In a flash of black you would die and be without all your spells, knowledge, and gear. You would run back to your corpse, gather up all your belongings, relearn your spells, and take some time to learn from your mistakes, or maybe not, but eventually with enough time you would. 

You might get a friend to help you next time, or maybe just a stranger, maybe by luck a passerby would buff you with some helpful enchantments, you didnt know, but you knew when you saw another player they were going through or - had gone through - alot of the same experiances of loss and challenge, and that alone made it part of the experiance. Other players werent constantly competing with you, they had enough competition in the world to worry about, and you were just another player in this universe's immense struggle.

This is what EQ was about, and all I want is that same game but with better graphics. A game rich with exploration, conflict, choices, and a sense of danger and philosophy. A game that is more than a show of numbers and who has the better gear, but an authentically immersive experiance.

https://www.everquestnext.com/home

Whatever Everquest NOT! turns out to be it will not a be new version of the original Everquest.  Eve in tights perhaps but not Everquest.

It is the only MMO I see that comes close to the original. Eve is a completely different genre (Space Sim) so that point is moot. If you have another up your sleeve, please DO enlighten us. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265
    There are more sophisticated possibilities today. Making a request like this, as though it is so simple and easy to fulfill, that surely a company would do it, is playing right into the hands of bad game design today. When you make requests like this, you get games like DotA 2, a completely uninspired, slapdash effort. If not for crap like DotA 2, there might be an interesting competitor to League of Legends. Instead, it is polarized into a dull game with good gameplay, and an interesting game with bad gameplay. The writing on the wall is, good games are not made any more. Games have "audiences", and anything not essential to that audience is missing or unfinished.  My prediction is there not will be a single game in the 2010s that is noteworthy. Gaming, as far as I can see it, is dead as dirt.
    Originally posted by Dreamo84

The overly nostalgic always leave out the grinding a mob spawn for days at a time waiting for a loot drop or for EXP.

I don't think you would actually find this fun anymore. Yes, people talked during the down time and made friends, but only because you had nothing else to do. Questing and a faster pacing was a direct response to people not wanting to wait for 10 minutes in between every fight and sit there killing the same mobs over and over and over. Waiting for mobs to spawn kills my immersion.

I'm not a huge fan of waiting these days either, but that shows I've lost some of my patience.  I believe having to rest and heal after a fighter is more realistic (doesn't kill immersion) and find that getting your health/magic back to full after a fight is dumb.  I'd rather have something in between.  Make it so your health and magic don't come back.  You have to go to a town and rest to get it back.  Let the player restore health (but not magic via potions(but has a finite amount)).  They can also restore via magic if they have spells.  This would mean people don't have to rest all the time, but they also can't keep killing non stop.  Eventually they have to town and restock/rest. 

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Flyte27
    Originally posted by Dreamo84

I'm not a huge fan of waiting these days either, but that shows I've lost some of my patience.  I believe having to rest and heal after a fighter is more realistic (doesn't kill immersion) and find that getting your health/magic back to full after a fight is dumb.  I'd rather have something in between.  Make it so your health and magic don't come back.  You have to go to a town and rest to get it back.  Let the player restore health (but not magic via potions(but has a finite amount)).  They can also restore via magic if they have spells.  This would mean people don't have to rest all the time, but they also can't keep killing non stop.  Eventually they have to town and restock/rest. 

Or, you know, implement support classes back into MMO's that take care of mana and health regen.  I'd love to play a proper bard today and just focus on mana regen and debuffing mobs.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Really? More boring stuff before players can really play.

And why would "realistic" be desirable in video games where the goal is to entertain. I laugh out loud when people put "realism" and "magic" in the same paragraph.

I say it is super realistic to take 2 second to charge all the mana back because that is how "realistic" magic work. If you don't believe me, ask David Copperfield.

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

Personally I would prefer a DAoC that worked better. Where classes and abilities in general were fixed so they would actually work like the description says. And a more robust engine to cope better with cheating. (If that is possible, Im  sure it will never be impossible to cheat in any game).

I did enjoy my time in EQ. I just liked DAoC more... But I would try a remade EQ aswell.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by MajorBiggs
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

what I will say is this, it doesn't matter if you or anyone else believes in the viability of a revamped EQ with better graphics. There most likely will never be one with SOE having a severe lack of community involvement over the past decade. SOE has never done one thing as a fan service.

No .. they are also not in the business for something that is a for sure loss.

***TO THE OP:  One of the best threads I've read on this forum in a long time. I agree wholeheartedly, but I thought I just had to add this:

I think I speak for many on this forum when I say that you, nariusseldon, are very much in the business of instigating drama and ceasing discussion about topics you hate. You tell people that their tastes are terrible (when it is glaringly obvious the majority of gamers as a whole would rather play something else), personally attack the poster and even hope for some MMO's to be cancelled and niche mmo's to be non-existent. To top it all off you will state how it's just your opinion and we're all entitled to one ... 

It just so happens that since yours is "correct" (this is actually painful to consider) because it follows the majority opinion, like always, you inform the other person how theirs is actually incorrect. An opinion. You're the only poster in my ten years of membership that I hope is banned. 

To the moderators, I apologize for getting personal. It just felt right to post this. 

Maybe you should check your own bias.

He is doing the exact same thing many of the other posters are doing.  Stating their opinion about games, about games they think are good or bad, the genre as a whole, ones that should shut down, or the way the genre should go.

The only difference is his opinion is counter to most of the other posters.  They say it sucks, he says it's good, they say old is better, he says old sucks.

They are both saying and doing the exact same thing on opposite sides of the spectrum. 

So if you call him out, you should call the others as well.

Again, check your bias.

No. Actually he is a troll. He derails threads. He posts the same everyday wisdom in every thread, although it is clearly off topic. Like Diablo is great. MMOs should be Solo centric. WoW is the most popular game. Developers go for money. etc. etc.

If you would reread all of his 16000+ posts you could summarize all of that in 1 post not containing more than 100 words.

With other words.. everyone should just treat him like a troll.. ingore him and don't feed the troll with replying. It isn't worth it.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Apraxis

No. Actually he is a troll. He derails threads. He posts the same everyday wisdom in every thread, although it is clearly off topic. Like Diablo is great. MMOs should be Solo centric. WoW is the most popular game. Developers go for money. etc. etc.

If you would reread all of his 16000+ posts you could summarize all of that in 1 post not containing more than 100 words.

With other words.. everyone should just treat him like a troll.. ingore him and don't feed the troll with replying. It isn't worth it.

This post is hilarious cause Nari clearly states 'I like XYZ' in all his posts while the others are 'You should like XYZ'.

One is stating his opinion and the other is forcing someone else's opinion on another.

If you can't see the difference between those two, I can't help you.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Really? More boring stuff before players can really play.

And why would "realistic" be desirable in video games where the goal is to entertain. I laugh out loud when people put "realism" and "magic" in the same paragraph.

I say it is super realistic to take 2 second to charge all the mana back because that is how "realistic" magic work. If you don't believe me, ask David Copperfield.

I don't really understand how you are entertained by non stop mindless killing in most cases, but it seems those are the games you like.  I'm attempting to put some measure of strategy into the gaming without having the burden of having to sit constantly.  The strategy I put up there would be great for a non instanced game IMO.  It would stop people from camping and force them to think about what they are doing instead of mindlessly running around and clicking on exclamation marks/following GPS.  They would have to plan their trip, how long it will take, and how far they can go before coming back.  To me this would be a lot more entertaining then what you see in a game like Diablo 3.  I'd also like to see more choices in combat.  Have different equipment for different and combat abilities for different situations, but only allow you to use a finite amount of abilities at once.  That at least makes you figure out what will work and won't work.  Magic is a source to me, but it is only for magic users.  Health is a determination of how much one can take before death.  Magic can restore health, but health doesn't just regenerate back to full after a fight IMO.  Can it be that way?  Sure it can be any way a developer wants it to be, but it sure doesn't make any sense to me and it detracts from the game for me.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by Apraxis

This post is hilarious cause Nari clearly states 'I like XYZ' in all his posts while the others are 'You should like XYZ'.

One is stating his opinion and the other is forcing someone else's opinion on another.

If you can't see the difference between those two, I can't help you.

A troll doesn't force his opinions on others. He tries to get emotions out of others.. disrupts discussion and so on and so on. There are a lot of ways to trolling. I really like the urban dictionary.. and therefore:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolling

And i have to say.. he is really not bad as a troll.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

@ Flyte27

Come back to town also part of the game , which create difficult for the contents . It not just "something useless" but you can call it "game over" design part.

Basically , like all game you do a mistake and have to start again.

Return town to resupply or find priests pay gold for them to heal also part of penalties.

It not ready useless .

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

I know right, like in the movies, why would anyone make a realistic movie like Schindler's List, when they could be entertained by Transformers the Movie!  image

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect

I know right, like in the movies, why would anyone make a realistic movie like Schindler's List, when they could be entertained by Transformers the Movie!  image

I think this sums up most people's mentality these days towards difficulty in gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVtKrGyUS5o

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"