Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't get why people complain about MMOs that require decent system specs...

13»

Comments

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I guess sometimes the game just needs some optimization and people complain about that mainly. I remember a guild member with high end comp leaving VG because of constant lag. Requirement of decent system specs are fine by most gamers I think because they own decent gear anyway.
  • summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Well I have quite an old PC nearly 2 years old, there isn't a current or any other Mmo that I cant run , and trust me I have played all of them , and that includes ESO,Wildstar and Archeage.

The only thing I cant run now is Star Citizen hangar module.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Horusra
    I do not think it is a complaint about the game, but more about the market that will support the game.  You make a game that only 10% of people can play, then the company can not be surprised if it tanks in the market.

Agreed, mmo's require alot of players but dev's shoot themselves in the face when they make a mmo that requires top of the line hardware to run it, Its just kind of stupid when you think about it. Does anyone really beleive Star Citizen will be filled with thousands of players. Or be the next so called wow killer. It seems that the only mmo Devs that know what they are doing these days are the ones at Blizzard.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    MMOs require abnormally fast CPUs and generally perform lower than a similar graphics single player game.

For instance, my old computer actually ran Bioshock Infinite flawlessly at 60fps on absolute max settings and 1920x1080. However, Neverwinter gave it a hard time in many areas.

People tend to go cheaper on the CPU thinking a fast GPU is all you really need. That is true for single player games but I finally learned to go faster on the CPU and cut costs on the GPU if needed.

There was actually a good article on Tom's Hardware showing the CPU benchmarks for Neverwinter and how drastically performance was impacted by CPU. That is not seen in single player games.

I've never found a good explanation as to why this is the case. I have to imagine it must do with some of the tracking calculations being done for who is doing what and where etc that adds extra load on the CPU which creates a bottleneck. A fast GPU can't compensate for a slow CPU if it just can't send the information fast enough.

It's like shipping three trucks of product to a store but only having enough employees to receive one truck at a time. You won't be increasing productivity at all.

And as far as developers decisions go it's the same reason most third party games are multi-platform now. Why limit your potential market?

It's a tough industry these days and you want to appeal to as broad an audience as possible. TSW on low settings looks worse than WoW on max. It's hard to make a game scale down really well and still look good.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by jusomdude
    There's a difference between needing a new computer to play the latest high-tech games and needing a new computer to play a horrible performing game.

This. I wont buy a high powerful computer simply to play a more graphical Warhammer Online....

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I'm retired with hospital bills it just isn't in my budget.  I would love the latest and greatest.  There are a lot of us now who are having a hard time making ends meet or are from areas/countries with poor employment rates.  And if you do have a job/career you don't have time to play.  More than that I'm not putting my own PC together from parts.  NOT DOING IT.  4quads need to be sold cheap to the general public but by the time they get around to it they'll be obsolete.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Honestly complaining that an mmo asks for outrageous system requirements make no sense IMO. PC gaming requires a lot of money so developers need to focus on the latest tech and make games around that.

If i want a game that runs on a potato i play on my console. Right now i need to do a massive PC upgrade and dont have the money for it, but hell i do hope PC game devs start taking PC hardware more seriously. If Black Desert is doing that then im glad.

You should get what you pay for. A 4 digit amount for a nice gaming pc? then get the best looking games (dont forget to throw in good gameplay as well).

It's funny even today a lot of videos and pics I see of WOW are people playing on really low settings.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    If you are using a core 2 processor then it would probably be better to invest in an xbox or playstation.  That is unless the games cost to much as well and you want free to play.  On console you can pay the monthly/yearly fee now and they give you a few games to play each month.  I guess there are ups and downs to each, but the consoles is definitely more cost effective.  The PC isn't bad once you have paid for the PC.  A good one will probably cost around 700-1000 dollars to build yourself.  After that it's not so bad.  It just seems to make sense to buy a console if you are using an old PC.  A console is likely more powerful and better optimized for games IMO.
  • pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Graphics mean diddly squat to me if the game is bad, which it usually is if it has modern graphics.